Start by marking “Myths and Mysteries of Washington” as Want to Read:
Myths and Mysteries of Washington

Myths and Mysteries of Washington

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Tales of intrigue in this book include unusual unsolved crimes, legends of lost treasure, spine-tingling ghost stories, and well-documented sea creature sightings. Based on historic accounts from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, author Lynn Bragg recounts fifteen myths and mysteries from Washington's past, verifying some tales from multiple accounts and exposi ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by TwoDot

To ask other readers questions about Myths and Mysteries of Washington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths and Mysteries of Washington

Kim
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Theobroma
I've always been a sucker for myths and legends, ghost stories and folk tales, treasure hunters and ye olde crime. Knowing that my wonderful fiancee sent me this book about my (hopefully) soon-to-be home. Some of the stories I'd read before like D.B. Cooper and flying saucers over Mount Rainier but now they mean so much more after visiting there and knowing I might soon be living there.

It's also given me lots of places I want to visit like Ape Cave and Crescent Lake and has also inspired me to l
pietastic
It consists of short tellings of several different stories and in that, I enjoyed it. It served the purpose of what I was after in reading it: which was to familiarise myself with some myths so I could discover and choose a handful to look into in further depth elsewhere. And this book does have a nice variety of tales.

But that's where my enjoyment probably ended. About the third story in I began to realise I was getting thoroughly confused about what was supposed to have happened. And from ther
Christina
Apr 17, 2010 rated it liked it
"Myths and Mysteries" is a fairly decent book highlighting some of the biggest of Washington's odd/mysterious stories ... and many obscure ones as well. In fact, they were so obscure, even my dad hadn't heard of them, which is saying something positive;)

Each story is told in a quickly digestable chapter, which is likely the intent of the book, but it's also a major shortcoming. Of course, every tale that's told has been told in better and greater detail in a book (or more) of its own. The main p
Tiffany
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: northwest, trivia
Meh. This was okay. The kind of book that you read and think "Oh, that's interesting," or "I didn't know that!" but never really read again.

Highlights:
- The story of D.B. Cooper and the search for him
- Sea serpents, dating back to ancient drawings
- People discovering gold and other treasures, or being sure that these treasures existed somewhere
- Haunted homes (including the Georgetown castle built in the 1880s or '90s, and a shady doctor's mansion in South Hill)
- Sasquatch-like creatures on Mt
Andy Perdue
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: northwest
I love a good mystery. Perhaps that's one reason I became a journalist. As a native and lifelong resident of Washington state, I figured I'd heard all of the stories, especially with my interest in cryptozoology. But this modest book was able to dig up many new and fascinating stories. I even had the opportunity to share the details of ther Lady of the Lake with friends in the context of another conversation.

If you love the Pacific Northwest and its lore, you'll likely enjoy this light read.
Rebecca Hill
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-home-library
I bought this book with the hopes of learning a little bit about the history and mystery of Washington after moving here. I enjoyed the stories although there were some that I thought could have used a little more research and time working on them, as they seemed a little choppy and didnt exactly flow well together.

But for anyone that wants to get an overall view of a few of the things that have happened here in Washington, this is a good place to get your feet wet.
Zach
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone looking to kill time
Shelves: quick-reads
I read this book while at Sol Duc Hot Springs. I had just finished a 4 day hiking trip and was waiting for a ride to come pic me up. The managed to kill an hour or so - but it did have some interesting washington history.
Christiane
Jan 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Everyone's probably heard of D.B. Cooper and Sasquatch, but what about flying saucers over Mt. Rainier? Or the murdered woman whose corpse had turned into soap? I love books like these, especially when they are set locally.
Timbre Wolf
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories i never knew about washington, makes me think its less boring now :)
Nicole