Start by marking “Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System” as Want to Read:
Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System

Stuffed and Starved: The Hidden Battle for the World Food System

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  1,930 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
How can starving people also be obese?
Why does everything have soy in it?
How do petrochemicals and biofuels control the price of food?

It's a perverse fact of modern life: There are more starving people in the world than ever before (800 million) while there are also more people overweight (1 billion).

To find out how we got to this point and what we can do about it, Raj Pat
Published April 1st 2008 by Melville House (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stuffed and Starved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stuffed and Starved

angela
May 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Saying: READ THIS BOOK! is the most logical place to begin this review. Seriously. Read it.

This is an incredibly nuanced look at the global food market. He addresses everything from rural poverty, failure, and farmer suicide (in the Global North and Global South) to the bottlenecks in our global food chain (mostly at the distributor and retailer level, where distributors are increasingly the same people as the retailers) to supermarkets to worker's rights and movements to obesity to monoculture
Mary
I really wanted to like this book! I really wanted to read it to the last page without skimming. The subject matter is fascinating to me--the food politics of the US and the rest of the world. It seem that Patel and I have a lot of similar opinions about many things, such as the WTO, NAFTA, and the UN. However, we do not agree on why we do not like them. However, what he suggests to do about it is nearly the opposite of what I would do, policy-wise. I was also a bit turned off by the extent of h ...more
Ian
Jun 09, 2008 rated it liked it
When I first saw this book in our local bookstore, I was interested in its purported claim to trace the intricacies in the power structure surrounding global food production/distribution. As a broad primer about the different ways in which campesinos growing soy in Brazil, Koreans fighting against the WTO, rural South Africans growing Bt cotton, etc. relate to the Global North's food acquisition and lack of satisfactory distribution, Stuffed generally succeeds. There is no shortage of vignettes ...more
NocturnalBlaze
Un saggio piuttosto interessante sull'argomento alimentazione, che si concentra molto su alcuni aspetti di questo mondo (ad esempio, la produzione agricola, lo sfruttamento delle risorse del pianeta, il rapporto fra cibo, produttori, intermediari e consumatori, il funzionamento del mercato dell'alimentazione) e li approfondisce in maniera precisa, accurata e "scientifica", affiancando alle sue ricerche dati numerici e grafici.
Avendo già un'infarinatura su questo genere di argomenti, ho trovato
Lesandre
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite detailed. A different, refreshing perspective on food that is not all about health and obesity but rather the economic and social implications of our industrialized agricultural system and how it creates both rural and urban poor.
Brian
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I’ve been aware of and fascinated by a modern paradox for a while. For the first time in human history, a growing number of people are obese and suffering a form of malnutrition. By eating a diet composed mostly of empty calories, people will gain weight but still practically starve. Raj Patel explores this phenomenon in Stuffed and Starved. Patel is a British Indian educated at the London School of Economics and as his blurb put it, has been tear gassed on four continents.

There are more people
Melissa
This book differs from other food politics books I've read in that it addresses the issues from a much more global perspective. I learned a lot about peasant/farmer movements, and really found that first part of the book pretty engaging. Things start to fall apart, however, when Patel starts to move into urban US issues, health issues, slow food movement, etc. These parts of the book aren't very well developed, and by the end I started to wonder if the author didn't feel like he had to have an o ...more
Dawnbg
Dec 06, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really excited to read this book and had to wait months to get it from the library. I had seen the author interviewed on several TV programs & he was great.
In short, this book is WAYYY too long.I've never thought about the book editor before, but while the info is good, it is repeated too much.If it was half the length it would be a much more powerful book.The book is about the global food system, and how government policy and large corporations have changed the way we eat, grow food
Ann
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful quite readable about the world food system and how fucked up it is, why there is so much soy and various other additives in our food, how Monsanto is a big bully, how CSAs are great and about the Via Campesina and other farmer movements that are fighting back. You wont want to eat some things after reading this though nor patronize WalMart, and you will think twice about the supermarket system!
Martinxo
Didn't enjoy (odd word to use I know) this as much as I thought and ended up flipping quickly through the last two thirds.

Patel tells me what I already know in grinding, depressing detail. But don't let that put you off, if you know little or nothing about the global food situtation then read this book, get a little depressed...then act.
Geoffrey
An incredibly detailed account of the global food system, I wanted to love this book but it fell victim to its own wordiness and lack of focus and style. How you write is still as important as about what you choose to write.
Sokari
Mar 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-justice
The global food industry laid bear. How the poor are starved in order for profit while consumers in the rich countries are squeezed and cheated into buying cheap poor quality fat saturated addictive food.
Ansley
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should read this book, or at least the conclusion.

Patel's most powerful line, regarding our food system: "We either own it by action or are implicated by indifference."

Don't be indifferent!
Georgina
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yikes! very in depth read
Ruth Feathers
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to say "white people's problems", but it's so much more.
Nikki
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book a while ago and was impressed by its thorough - and often shocking - exploration of the many issues with the way our food is produced and sold. I didn't get around to writing up my notes on it at the time as it was so full of detailed examples that I found it hard to summarise. This paragraph from the book's conclusion does quite a good job though:
"Unless you're a corporate food executive, the food system isn't working for you. Around the world, farmers and farmworkers are dyin
Sarah Clement
This book is an interesting read and contains a lot of important information about the state of the global food system and how it got that way. It is, however, quite biased and not always factually accurate. It's not so much that the information is wildly inaccurate, but more about the shaping of the narrative, which has a tendency towards exaggeration. This is understandable, as the situation is urgent and completely shameful, but the author's personal views have a clear and significant influen ...more
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not for everyone. It digs deep into our global food system, painting a negative picture and explaining the consequences of decades of policy, war and growth of industrialized food. If you're interested in our food system, and already have a good understanding of it, pick this book up. For me, it gave me a broader understanding of the economics of our food system to build on my nutritional base. Despite the depressing state of our current food system, Raj weaves in social movements t ...more
Alice Chau-Ginguene
Very comprehensive book on the matter of current food production, supply and consumption problem in the world. It's a very general book of which each chapter touches on one particular problem of food supply chain. I have read a lot of books on this subject matter. As a result, I already know a lot of the arguments mentioned in this world. I didn't give it a 5 star because it didn't particularly impress me but it's a very good book if someone just started getting curious about how part of the wor ...more
Kriegslok
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At some point in his book Patel quotes Friedmen who commented that the “Hidden hand of the market will never work without the hidden fist”. Most of this book is about exposing the lie of the market, as it is commonly supposed to be, and revealing the central role of the often not so hidden, if silken, fist. By looking at each stage of the chain of the production of our food and providing thorough case studies Patel paints a rather depressing picture of an industry that is not only bad for the st ...more
Farrah
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I hated the way this book was written, it felt like a university assignment that was turned into a book.
Lots of unnecessary convoluted sentences and difficult words chosen. Left it half way even when I tried to read the most interesting bits I still couldn't get past the language used and the way it was written
Tom Roth
This book started off really well. The part about India was really interesting. However, towards the end, it became too extensive. Patel wants to dig into too many subjects, including health issues, commercials and slow food movement. This results in some quite superficial chapters, which are quite out of tune with the first half of the book in my opinion.
Wrdwrrior
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an important book. If you are interested in the global food industry and its impact on the world's residents this is a must read. Very accessible, well written. I learned so much about food corporations and their impact on the world and organizations that are trying to make good, healthy food a viable choice for everyone.
Marozzi
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un testo assolutamente necessario a capire il business dell'agroalimentare. A capire il presente partendo dal passato, dalle politiche, dalla geopolitica, dalle scelte che hanno portato i consumatori ad essere preda di ondivaghe manie salutiste, mode dei superfood e biologico industriale cioè ridicole marionette nelle mani delle multinazionali del cibo.
Samuel Peck
Wanted to like this book but the author is essentially just spamming details and random facts without having a clear coherent central thesis. Poorly written, which is a pity the underlying content and message should have been better presented.
Lupo
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saggi-vari, my-books
Un libro molto utile per capire i meccanismi economici relativi alla produzione e al commercio del cibo. Molto pertinenti la maggior parte dei commenti, ineccepibili quelli sugli OGM.Non è però scritto bene, un pò pamphlettistico in alcune parti è anche moto ripetitivo
b bb bbbb bbbbbbbb
Important topics are covered, sometimes in helpful detail. Other times in too much or too little detail. There is a tendency to sometimes make overly broad claims or gloss over nuance.
Jenine
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, nonfiction
this took a while for me to get into and read, but I'm glad I stuck it out.
reminds me of the omnivore's dilemma in terms of volume of information, but this focused more on the global scale.
Patrick
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A dense (yet comprehensive) read about the hidden mechanisms that operate and control our global food network. Be prepared for a shock as Raj Patel intelligently deconstructs everything you think you know about food.
Harrison
Dec 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: justice, favorites
The public understanding of where our food comes from is deeply misinformed, rooted more in a pastoral myth than in reality. The real story of our supermarket shelves is complex, but in Stuffed and Starved Raj Patel expertly guides the reader through the systems of modern food production to reveal the profound injustice ingrained in their structure.

We enter this narrative with stories of farmer suicides, a rising trend in the global south as more and more farmers find themselves in inescapable d
  • Closing the Food Gap: Resetting the Table in the Land of Plenty
  • Stolen Harvest: The Hijacking of the Global Food Supply
  • Deeply Rooted: Unconventional Farmers in the Age of Agribusiness
  • The End of Food
  • Food Rebellions!: Forging Food Sovereignty to Solve the Global Food Crisis
  • Paradox of Plenty: A Social History of Eating in Modern America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 8)
  • Free for All: Fixing School Food in America (California Studies in Food and Culture, 28)
  • Recipe for America: Why Our Food System is Broken and What We Can Do to Fix It
  • Animal Factory: The Looming Threat of Industrial Pig, Dairy, and Poultry Farms to Humans and the Environment
  • Appetite for Profit: How the Food Industry Undermines Our Health and How to Fight Back
  • Weighing In: Obesity, Food Justice, and the Limits of Capitalism
  • Fair Food: Growing a Healthy, Sustainable Food System for All
  • The World According to Monsanto: Pollution, Corruption, and the Control of the World's Food Supply
  • Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front
  • Food Politics: How the Food Industry Influences Nutrition and Health
  • Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly
  • Cultivating Food Justice: Race, Class, and Sustainability
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
Raj Patel has worked for the World Bank and WTO and been tear-gassed on four continents protesting against them. Writer, activist, and academic, he is currently a visiting scholar at UC Berkeley’s Centre for African Studies, a researcher at the School of Development Studies at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, and a fellow at The Institute for Food and Development Policy, also known as Food First.
More about Raj Patel

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Arctic Dreams
    $9.99 $2.99
  • As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning: A Memoir (The Autobiographical Trilogy Book 2)
  • An Appeal to the World: The Way to Peace in a Time of Division