Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  20,058 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews
Graduate students Zoë and Holli only mean to blow off some steam on their road trip to Las Vegas. But something goes terribly wrong on their way home, and the last time Zoë sees her, Holli is in the clutches of a sadistic killer. Zoë flees with her life, changed forever.

A year later and still tortured with guilt, Zoë latches on to a police investigation where the crime eer
Published March 1st 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.
Grant Yes, it's a book and story that really grabs the reader, and allows us to feel with the characters. I love to get in to the mind and thoughts of the…moreYes, it's a book and story that really grabs the reader, and allows us to feel with the characters. I love to get in to the mind and thoughts of the characters, and this book does that very well.(less)

·  20,058 ratings  ·  1,277 reviews

Andrew Smith
I downloaded this as an audiobook via Audible. The premise sounded interesting enough: two girls are abducted by a stranger intent on doing them harm and one girl (Zoe) manages to escape leaving her friend, bound and naked, at the mercy of the evil-doer. But what happened next was very, very routine with nothing even approaching a twist to sharpen the tale. This really is a simpletons story, one for the reader (or listener) who doesn’t want to be teased or challenged – not to mention excited!

Had
Zoeytron
A weekend trip to Las Vegas for college chums Zoe and Holli plays into something for which they had not gambled. The course of Zoe's life is altered dramatically after escaping what could have been a deadly abduction. Beat with her as she battles survivor's guilt, PTSD, and impulsive behavior that may very well be masking a death wish.

Fast-paced, believable dialogue, and a story that kept my interest. This was a Kindle First offering and most enjoyable. Thank you.
Carolyn Robertson
Mar 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Decent but Flawed

Story was ok, standard victim tormented by perpetrator plot. However, some of the elements of the story held no truth. So, 2 girls being abducted and one not coming home didn't make the news? The people at the bar that saw them (pretty much everyone there since they made a spectacle of themselves) and no one saw the story and came forward? Laurie is murdered and no one from the shelter discusses it? Would have liked more development of the friendship between Holli and Zoe.
Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books)
Graduate student Zoe and her friend Holli go on a road trip to Vegas. On the way home, they are abducted and tortured by a man who says he wants to teach them a lesson. Zoe manages to escape while Holli is being tortured, and she leaves, swearing she'll come back to save Holli. The problem is, she was given rohypnol, and doesn't remember where the building was located or where she came from. Holli is never found and the killer is still out there.

A year later, Zoe is racked with guilt, and acts o
BERNICE
Another great Simon Wood thriller

As soon as as I saw a novel by Simon Wood as one of the selections for the Kindle First for February, I snapped it up and began reading. My first introduction to Simon's writing was his novel "Accidents Waiting to Happen." I liked it so much, I bought and read "Paying the Piper." I liked that book so well, I bought 3 more of his novels. That is rare for me. Rarely do I own more than 2 novels by the same author, especially Indie authors.

The One That Got Away is on
✨Susan✨
This started out pretty stereotypical and got better through the middle and then had a great ending which saved it a star. I could see this as a movie with the right characters and only if it was not Hollywooded up.
Joel
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
The One That Got Away is a story about a young woman named Zoë who escaped from a serial killer, leaving behind her friend who had also been abducted, but did not escape. Fifteen months later, as Zoë struggles to keep her life together, the killer discovers her location and vows to finish the job.

This book has the makings of a good story. Unfortunately, that's all it has. The book is full of clichés, including the characters and plot line. Zoë's life has crumbled and she has turned to martial ar
Darcia Helle
Survivor's guilt and post traumatic stress have left our heroine slightly damaged, though not in the timid, skittish way often portrayed in this type of book. I enjoyed the way Simon Wood handled these issues. Zoe's character incites sympathy in her recklessness. I wanted to both hold her back and help her surge forward.

This book is more suspense/thriller than mystery, since we always know who the bad guy is. The author does include enough twists to keep us slightly off balance. The pace is qui
Jim
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zoe Sutton and her friend Holli are college friends who decide to take a break from their studies with a trip to Las Vegas. The trip turns into a nightmare when they are kidnapped. Zoe manages to escape but not before seeing her friend in the clutches of a sadistic killer. Fifteen months later Zoe is trying to deal with the PTSD. She has quit school and taken a job as a mall security guard. She is a loner having shunned family and friends. When Zoe hears of another murder that sounds eerily simi ...more
Books 'n' All  Promotions
Feb-15
This is the 2nd Simon Wood thriller I have read and both have been excellent. Gripping heart racing everything a thriller should be. I will be reading more by this author

May-16
This book is still very much in my mind over a year later so I wanted to add to my review as I dont feel I did the book justice back then. This book is 'edge of your seat' gripping and Simon expertly described the effect of post traumatic stress and survivor guilt. The characters are realistic and well developed thr
Julie
May 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The One That Got Away by Simon Wood is a 2015 Thomas & Mercer publication.

I am not sure about this, but I think this book was a “Kindle First” book I chose with my prime membership.

This is my first book by this author and I enjoyed this one well enough to go back for more.

Zoe and Holli, two girls working hard on obtaining their PHD's, decide to kick up their heels for a change, so they drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas and hoop it up for awhile. But, things go horribly awry and Zoe wa
MissSusie
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, kindle, reviewed
I received this book from the Kindle First Program, this was a new to me author and the description intrigued me, so I thought I’d give it a chance and I was not disappointed. I really liked this book this was a great thriller. Zoë and her friend Holli take a road trip to Las Vegas but something terrible happens on the way home; Zoë wakes up in a shed naked and handcuffed with Holli screaming in the next room but Zoë is able to get loose but can’t see any way to save Holli other than going for h ...more
Nancy
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is very much like an episode of criminal minds but very enjoyable quick read.
Suze
THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY

I am glad I chose this book for my Kindle First, it is very good. Zoe is the victim who doesn't want to be one, she's a very likeable, understandable character- even when she does some strange things. It's a fast, easy read; very interesting and thrilling.
Susan Holdman
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner!

Excellent thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat. Would highly recommend it. I'm on to my next Simon Wood now :-)
Michelle - Free (Read and) Write
This review was originally published on link: Free (Read and) Write

I received this book as part of the Amazon Prime Kindle First Books Program. For those of you who aren’t familiar, Amazon Prime has a program where on the first of the month you can choose a free book from about 4-5 options (books that have been promoted into this program by their authors/editors, I would assume). Normally the books cost something like $3-$5, is my understanding.

Though I’ve been getting these free book notificat
Melodie
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Two young women take a road trip, only one comes home after being abducted and tortured. The reader picks up the survivor as she picks her way through the minefield of living life with PTSD and survivor's guilt.Inexplicably she crosses paths with her abductor when he kills again.
While the storyline is flawed, it also made for a compelling read. I had no trouble getting involved with the characters and staying invested in the outcome. i would be willing to give this author another go.This was
Emilie
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, this book kept me interested the entire time. I read it within a day. It was just suspenseful enough to keep me intrigued, but not freaky enough to give me nightmares. The following statement gives insight to the kind of feeling you have when the book ends; for some that’s considered a spoiler and for others they appreciate knowing that (if they’re scardy-cats like me, but still interested in suspense:

You feel happy when this book ends! (Like I said, I at least like knowing that much!)
J.D.
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Expanding on and explaining the original five star rating:

This is one of those thrillers that makes me remember why I read thrillers. The best part of the book is its flawed female lead, who makes some breathtakingly terrible decisions for reasons that the reader can completely believe and understand. That's some seriously good character building. THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY IS one of those books I hated to put down and couldn't wait to pick back up. Highly recommended.
Cathy Ryan
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it

Holli and Zoë’s road trip to Las Vegas ended in a way neither of them could ever have imagined. Waking up on the floor of a shed naked and bound hand and foot, Zoë was unable to comprehend how she got there. She remembered stopping for food on their way back but after that, nothing. Then she heard the screams. She had to get out and help Holli. Managing, after several failed attempts, to cut her ties she frantically ran through her options. Unable to see a way to overpower their abducto
Mary Manson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Way Crazy Thriller

I loved this book. Very fast-paced and well-written. Characters and plot were awesome. The book caught and held my attention to the very last page. Well worth the time to read!!
Sojourner
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
Anthony Award winner and a Crime Writers Dagger Award finalist, and a thriller writer par excellence, Simon Wood has entertained and fascinated fans with more than a dozen mystery, thriller and suspense novels, including Working Stiffs, Accidents Waiting to Happen, Paying the Piper, Terminated, We All Fall Down, Asking For Trouble, The Fall Guy, Hot Seat and Did Not Finish. His latest offering, The One That Got Away, tops all his previous works in terms of suspense, momentum, thrill, and drama.

Z
Markee Alston
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was insanely great! It starts with the abduction of two girls, and one of them is hanging from the ceiling. It was and intense read without a big break in the suspense in thrill. I was racing home to read and enjoy the next chapter.

"The Tally Man" was marvelous character with a cheesy nickname given by the media. Tactically brilliant. I love how the story took a look at his past, showing that he was a product of a bigger monster.

I loved Zoe's character as well, especially her flaming
Lynda Kelly
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
This was a page-turning thriller and is also very well written, too. It starts a little slowly and at first I wasn't too sure but I stuck with it and I'm pleased I did. So I probably read the first 25% in a couple of days and the remainder in one day.
There were hardly any mistakes, either....he used cinches when I would've used clinches, this sentence lost to-"I want you absorb..." then right at the end Sherriff's should be Sheriff's.
I found it odd that the killer had to keep reminding Zoe what
Michael
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed and love this book so much. I will keep this review short since writing the review is so overwhelming to me.

Simon Woods is a masterpiece, everything with this book from horror to psychology is marvelous. The book was written in a way to keep you going for more and more. I am not exactly of a fan of 3rd-person, but this book makes me rethink that. This book is perfect the way it is and doesn't need any changing.

I am not a fan of series, but I would love to continue to read the story to
Katie
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book much more than I anticipated. The story was well paced and interesting. I enjoyed all of the characters and especially liked how the author portrayed the main character Zoe as broken but strong. I kept waiting for the obligatory romance where Zoe would become interested in one of the male figures but I was pleased that the author never even teased at that cliche. In fact the character of Zoe was so well written, I just assumed the author was female. I was so pleasantly ...more
Jo
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I constantly harp about stupid, impulsive decisions in protagonists in my reviews. In this case (and I am reluctant to admit this) it worked. The protagonist is deliberately drawn as an impulsive wreck so when she makes stupid, unrealistic choices I was prepared for them. I have found a new author that I enjoy and promptly bought two of his books yesterday before I even finished this one. I look forward to reading more from Simon Wood.
Lisa Baynes
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read something so gripping. Well written, fast paced with an obviously troubled female lead character, I could not put this down. From the very beginning, the author has you hooked. This was my first Simon Wood novel and I will definitely be checking out some of his other work.
Karen Borm
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I really enjoyed this book. It is fast paced. Would recommend to others. My first Simon Wood. Will read more.
Mary
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good quick read, once I remembered which device I was reading. I thought the characters were very good and the story was a page turner.
Around the Year i...: The One That Got Away, by Simon Wood 1 21 Apr 28, 2016 12:22AM
A Great Heroine 1 9 Oct 17, 2015 02:18PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The One That Got Away by Simon Wood 1 11 Sep 15, 2015 12:36AM

• Heart Collector
  • Younger
  • End of Secrets
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Tunnel Vision
  • Everything Burns
  • A Cold and Broken Hallelujah (Long Beach Homicide, #3)
  • Cold Black Earth
  • Il mentore
  • The Gemini Effect
  • The Prettiest One
  • The Dead Key
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Trigger (Agent Dallas Thriller, #1)
  • Plaster City (A Jimmy Veeder Fiasco, #2)
  • Mickey Outside
Simon Wood is a California transplant from England. He's an ex-competitive racecar driver, a licensed pilot and an occasional private investigator. He shares his world with his American wife, Julie. Their lives are dominated by a longhaired dachshund and five cats. In the last ten years, he's had over 150 stories and articles published. His stories have been included in “Best of” anthologies and h ...more
“Post-traumatic stress is a powerful force with the ability to change us. Even the strongest of us.” 2 likes
“People can’t function without forgiveness. It’s why the Catholics have confession and the Jews have Yom Kippur. You recognize your failings, and you move on.” 1 likes