Start by marking “Winter of the Crystal Dances (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Winter of the Crystal Dances (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 1)

Winter of the Crystal Dances

(Whinnies on the Wind #1)

Evy can telepathically understand horses, but she’s not sure if it’s a blessing or a curse. Her secret “gift” certainly seems to get her in a lot of trouble.
When some starving mustangs wander close to the wilderness cabin that she shares with her hermit mother she knows she must help them.
Her act of kindness quickly snowballs into a series of events that forever changes
Published May 3rd 2012 by Enchanted Pony Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Winter of the Crystal Dances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter of the Crystal Dances

Start your review of Winter of the Crystal Dances (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 1)
Elizabeth Jones
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Book that kept me turning the pages

It was interesting hearing the horses thoughts and heart breakimg at times. A good page turner. The motions Evy were well written.
Shelly
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read

I really enjoyed reading this. The character of Evy was well developed and interesting. I really liked the idea of Evy being "psychically linked to the horses.
Clare O'Beara
This atmospheric gentle fantasy is highly enjoyable and should be loved by girls who like horses.

A girl aged thirteen and her artist mother live in a mountain cabin without electricity. They ride horses and watch the local bands of mustangs. But now the winter has brought deep snow, and this might be good for scenic paintings but it's no help to wild creatures in need of food.

Told by Evy, who has the gift of being able to feel the emotions of the horses, and sometimes communicate with them, th
Ev Bishop
Fantastic story in every way. I adored the characters and the setting and the adventure . . . and couldn't turn pages fast enough.
Charity Miller
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really gripping storyline... it sure kept me on my toes & I can't wait to read the next one! ...more
Christine Meunier
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, horse-series
Young Evy has an unusual gift as is shown in Winter of the Crystal Dances. Living a secluded life with her mother, she is able to take advantage of her fascination with local mustangs. The animals are struggling to keep weight on and survive in the cold weather. Evy doesn’t know this solely through observation, she can hear the mustangs. Hear what they are thinking and communicating to each other. She can also feel their emotions – like they are her very own.

Read more at http://equus-blog.com/wi
Kristi
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has been on my kindle for a while and I finally got around to reading it. I think it's more of a grade school level read but still very interesting. And it doesn't hurt that it's about horses and being able to "hear" them and communicate with them. I love horses and think being able to communicate with them would be amazing.

Rating: G
Language: very clean, no profanity
Recommend: yes
Candace perry
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was an awesome book but this one was free and the others are like three dollars I thinking should be free as well but that is just my opinion but I do recommend this book to lots of kids up am twelve about go on THIRTEEN and I am very interested units book and I am going to get the whole series with my twenty five dollar gift card and I don't just get anything but I wanna finish the series SO MUCH

I love this book so much and I recommend it to everyone even grown ups but u should make the othe
Sudarshan Kadri
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful

I absolutely love this series and it is a great book to read. The plot and how Twilight finally learns to trust Evy is really emotionally captivating I also love the whole mystery side plot of her mum's big secret and I can't wait to read the rest of this series of books
Debbie Clark
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Touching!

Evy can hear the thoughts and emotions of horses. She not only communicates with her own horse but also with wild mustangs. It's an extremely cold winter. The mustangs are starving. Evy goes to great lengths to save the herd and to win the heart of one filly.
Katie
A satisfying ya read. Loved the emotions with the horses and feeling what they did. Hated the lack of closure in the ending regarding what was hunting the horses.
Louise
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Imagine

Wouldn't it be wonderful to learn to live that way, so intuned with nature & all Gods creatures. She tells the story so well..
Michaela
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful book . I so recommend this book .
Carol Caldwell
Mar 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I love horses, so a story about them is just what I want to read. The plot was good and there was action to keep things moving. I liked the ending. There is a mystery in the relationships between the mother and daughter that I hope will be resolved in another story. I want to know why there are where they are.
Jennifer M
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting story with an intriguing premise. I wasn't thrilled with the story telling execution and writing.
Hanna Tamara
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It kept me interested and kept me turning pages.
Grace Anthony
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
Evy is the daughter of a reclusive mother and they live alone in BC. Evy has the strange ability to understand horses, she can actually feel what they're feeling, which sometimes overwhelms her. There were only three basic characters because of the recluse mother and all, but the horses made up for that with their own unique personalities, though I would have liked more about Cocoa and Twitchy. And sometimes, Evy does the right thing too many times and she never gets into serious trouble. But ov ...more
Jessie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Magical realism at its finest, Angela Dorsey did a beautiful job with Winter of the Crystal Dances. I was so happy to actually read about a girl who still rides in the winter like me! At first when I read -20 I thought whoaaaaaa she’s crazy but then I realized yeah that’s definitely Celsius, I live on the northern Ontario border and still get amazed when I hear temps in Celsius sometimes haha. I’d say riding in the teen Fahrenheit temps is my limit, any colder and it’s painful. 4.5 stars, I woul ...more
Jackie Krasuski
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story!

This was a nice easy read and a really cute story. It reminded me a lot of my own fantasies playing with horses in the woods. Enjoyable and light to read. The ending was unexpected but very happy!
Brenda Nutter
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Good book

I liked this book because I love horses and mustangs. The book was written from a young teens point of view. She can talk to horses. The last half of the book is very exciting. This book is for anyone who loves horse adventures. Yes, even adults. I am over 65 and I really enjoyed it. I have a horse and I like to think I can talk with her too. She and I understand each other.
Molly Harbridge
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A horse lovers dream!

This story of a girl who communicates with horses brought back the simplicity of childhood to me. Simple and full of kindness, this story will delight horse lovers of any age.
Mary Ann
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, tween, 2018, adventure
A wonderful story of a young girl, her mother, her love of horses, and her friend. Living in the Canadian wilderness can threaten the life of humans and animals. Great for those horse loving young readers!
Ali Mohammed Qasim
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read it to my children

My children loved it and can't wait for the second book of the series. I hope the second book will be as good as this.
camma griffith
Feb 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An intriguing book for horse lovers

I loved this book and I like how she set twilight free and how twilight came back. It,s cool how she can talk to horses and feel their emotions
Nancie Lafferty
Nov 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Can remember feeling “one with” horses, but the time has passed for me, sadly. Lovely story about a young girl and her Mom making a new start in the wilderness near a band of wild horses.
Madison
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i loved the way that the author wrote this book. the way that she describes everything is amazing to me.
Julie
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book for youth who are horse fans.
Carl Ehnis
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A girl living in the backwoods of Canada can channel the thoughts and emotions of horses, has a lovely horse of her own and nurtures an injured wild colt back to health. A girl with a friend who she can share her deepest and darkest secrets and a recluse mom who both inspires and frustrates her. A world of nature, love of animals, and a thirst for danger and adventure--what more can a young reader want?

Angela Dorsey has written a gorgeous, soulful and exciting story that should resonate with he
Timothy Hendricks
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much; but it didn’t feel complete and that is why I only rated it 4 stars. It did come to sort of a conclusion when Ivy decided to return Twilight to the wild. However I felt the big question about what her Mother was hiding from and why she chose to live in seclusion with her daughter Ivy. I guess that question gets answered in the next volume of the series. I think the premise of this book is to let go of the one you love if they return to you that means they love you. ...more
Shannan krystal burns
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was the best book I've ever read

This book was the best horse related book I've ever read and it really makes me feel like I'm inside the book it is very easy to imagine what the characters seen and felt.
I chose 5\5 for my rating because there was no big massive faults in the book and every time I read a chapter I had to read more .
Something's I really liked about the book were the friendship between evy and kenstile .I really liked how evy could talk to horses I really loved all the emotion a
Horse Lovers Central: Free Ebook - Winter of the Crystal Dances 2 12 Sep 06, 2017 02:47AM
Horses Rule: A FREE ebook with great reviews 1 1 May 26, 2016 04:20PM

• Angels Club
  • My First Pony (Diary of a Horse Mad Girl #1)
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • The Lost Pony of Riverdale (The Riverdale Pony Stories, #1)
  • The Painted Pony (Magical Adventures & Pony Tales #1)
  • Ooops! (I Shrunk My Best Friend! #1)
  • The Imaginary Friend
  • Witch School / The Secret / I Shrunk My BF / Body Swap
  • Fierce Winds and Fiery Dragons (Dusky Hollows #1)
  • Episode 1: The New Girl: The Extraordinarily Ordinary Life of Cassandra Jones (Walker Wildcats Year 1: Age 10)
  • The Paint Horse (White Cloud Station)
  • Invisible (Invisible, #1)
  • Diary Of a Wickedly Cool Witch: Bullies and Baddies (The Wickedly Cool Witch series, #1)
  • Sophie Washington: Queen of the Bee
  • Julia Jones' Diary / Horse Mad Girl / Diary of an Almost Cool Girl / Diary of Mr TDH
  • Just Us Kids - Shipwrecked
  • Illustrated Would You Rather? (Silly Kids and Family Scenarios 1)
  • Dotty and the Calendar House Key (DOTTY, #1)
ANGELA DORSEY currently lives on Vancouver Island and is thoroughly enjoying the ocean breezes, awesome hiking, and lack of snow! In the past, she has lived in a number of small towns throughout B.C., and loved them all.

She loves hiking, traveling, and animals, and has a tendency to name her pets after things that remind her of her coastal home, such as Misty, Raven, and Cedar.

Angela writes nove

Whinnies on the Wind (9 books)
  • Spring of the Poacher's Moon (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 2)
  • Summer of Wild Hearts (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 3)
  • Autumn in Snake Canyon (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 4)
  • Winter of Sinking Waters (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 5)
  • Spring of Secrets (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 6)
  • Summer of Desperate Races (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 7)
  • Autumn of Angels (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 8)
  • Winter of the Whinnies Brigade (Whinnies on the Wind, Book 9)