Jump to ratings and reviews

The Daughters of Boston #1

A Passion Most Pure

She's found the love of her life.

Unfortunately, he loves her sister.

As World War I rages across the Atlantic in 1916, a smaller war is brewing in Boston. Faith O'Connor finds herself drawn to an Irish rogue who is anything but right for her. Collin McGuire is brash, cocky, and from the wrong side of the tracks, not to mention forbidden by her father. And then there's the small matter that he is secretly courting her younger sister. But when Collin's affections shift, it threatens to tear her proper Boston family apart.

A Passion Most Pure will carry your heart from the sophisticated streets of Boston to the green hills of Ireland as men go off to war and women long for their return. Full of passion, romance, rivalry, and betrayal, it will captivate you from the first page.

480 pages, Paperback

First published January 1, 2008

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Julie Lessman

39 books1,210 followers
Julie Lessman is an award-winning author whose tagline of “Passion With a Purpose” underscores her intense passion for both God and romance. A lover of all things Irish, she enjoys writing close-knit Irish family sagas that evolve into 3-D love stories: the hero, the heroine, and the God that brings them together.

Author of The Daughters of Boston, Winds of Change, and Heart of San Francisco series, Julie Lessman was named American Christian Fiction Writers 2009 Debut Author of the Year and has garnered 18 Romance Writers of America and other awards. Voted #1 Romance Author of the year in Family Fiction magazine’s 2012 and 2011 Readers Choice Awards, Julie was also named on Booklist’s 2010 Top 10 Inspirational Fiction and Borders Best Fiction list.
Julie’s first contemporary novel, Isle of Hope, was voted on Family Fiction magazine’s “Best of 2015” list, and Surprised by Love appeared on Family Fiction magazine’s list of “Top Ten Novels of 2014.” Her independent novel A Light in the Window is an International Digital Awards winner, a 2013 Readers' Crown Award winner, and a 2013 Book Buyers Best Award winner.

Julie has also written a self-help workbook for writers entitled Romance-ology 101: Writing Romantic Tension for the Sweet and Inspirational Markets. You can contact Julie through her website and read excerpts from each of her books at www.julielessman.com.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
465 (7%)
1 star
293 (4%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 567 reviews
Profile Image for Deborah.
620 reviews39 followers
October 14, 2012

This one is a hard one to rate. It was impossible to put down and since I'm sick as a dog and my sweet hubby was watching the kids, I didn't have to. :-)

I saw a friend say there was a lot of tention. I love me some tention in a good romance. However, I don't think this is my kind of tention filled story. There was way too much heartache. Semi Spoiler alert...I really didn't like Collin that much. I thought the way he played these Sisters off each other was inexcusable. I also did not like the fact that the author kept bringing up the fact that Collin slept around. Okay, we get it...he was a hound dog.

Another beef I had: I couldn't see what the author wanted me to root for? Was I suppose to like Collin and then not anymore? Was I suppose to root for Collin all the way especially since he gets engaged to her Sister, then cheats on her Sister, then cheats on her Sister again with Faith(just kissing)? I guess I found the whole thing confusing.

Also, what was with Charity? She was seriously one of the worse human beings I have ever read in a book and she was suppose to be Faith's Sister. She was horrible and frankly sluty!(excuse my boldness) She had no thought for anyone but herself. I could not stomach her for one more second. I read that the next book is about her and there is no way I could read it. She makes my skin crawl.

Lastly, I loved Mitch. I think how Faith strung him along was so sad. I also couldn't stand the fact that the author had something happen between Mitch and Charity. It just felt wrong.

I think that was my problem with a lot of this book. Too much of it felt wrong.

So yes, I couldn't put it down and it might even be a book that pops up in my brain. But I don't see myself continueing this series or ever reading it again.
11 reviews
December 27, 2009
These books were almost not purchased due to the "controversial" opinions about the "steamy sex" in a Christian book.

I ask..."Where was it?". The books were tastefully written, and frankly unless you are from a non-human species...romance and relationships are a part of the human race!!! (and may I add...sanctioned by "God" himself). The relationships were within a marriage, and outside of marriage...only kissing occurred! Good heavens people...get a grip on reality...and yes, I am very much a Christian!!!

I enjoyed the series immensely...and they were very well written story lines.

ENJOY!!!
Profile Image for Erin.
913 reviews20 followers
May 7, 2008
To be perfectly honest, I thought this book was mis-titled. It seemed to me there was an unrealistic amount of passion used as a plot device when the author could have used a little more imagination and purity. Growing up in a large family, I found the sibling rivalry overemphasized and unrealistic as well. There was a section in the middle of the book that was really good - passion and purity - but then it got all mixed up again and gave me a sick feeling. This was a debut novel and I'm sad to say I'll be staying away in the future.
Profile Image for Anne.
502 reviews475 followers
August 17, 2015
I can't remember the last time I felt that conflicted towards a book. I mean, really.

This novel is like a Taylor Swift song. Seriously. You know all those relationship ups and downs Taylor always nails in her songs? One minute she's daydreaming about her superstar, and the next she's seeing everything red? How she gives everything she has to the man of her dreams, then breaks down crying when he betrays her? You know what I'm talking about. No matter if you're a Taylor Swift fan or not, there's no denying her songs are dramatic and passionate. Just like this book. She probably got her inspiration for the song How You Get the Girl by reading it.

Stand there like a ghost shaking from the rain.
She'll open up the door and say "Are you insane?"
Say it's been a long 6 months
And you were too afraid to tell her what you want.

Right? Everyone who's read this book, I'm sure y'all agree. There were so many emotions, so many conflicts, so much drama in A Passion Most Pure, that I really felt as though I were reading the lyrics to one of Taylor Swift's albums.

And, just like Taylor's latests, I'm never sure whether I love it or hate it at first. I love Taylor Swift, but sometimes her songs are a little too over-the-top for me, too passionate, too dramatic. Yet, I love them and can't stop listening to them.

It's the same with A Passion Most Pure. I loved it and it infuriated me so much at the same time.

First of all, the setting. We’re in 1916 Boston, smack in the middle of World War I, yet i never felt the war atmosphere, or the Boston atmosphere, or even the Irish atmosphere (later on in the story). I read historical fiction primarily because I like escaping from our contemporary world, and secondly because I want to learn. I love World War I and World War II novels, but I like them rich with historical details and bits and pieces of information that make you learn about the era without clogging the plot. So, in that respect, the book lost a few points (later redeemed, though, as you might have guessed from the 5 star rating).

Secondly, for a Christian book, it was pretty steamy. There was never a scene with a man and a woman alone in a room that didn't turn into a full make-out session. That was annoying. Really annoying. There is a way to convey passion and sexual tension without going so much into details. If you tell me that the heroine's parents have one of the best marriages ever, and a super romantic relationship, it goes without saying they're probably very active in the bedroom. Although there were no explicit intimate scenes, I found it unnecessary to describe passionate kisses and fondling so often. And that went for all the couples in this book.

The main reason why the passionate scenes were annoying, though, was because it seemed to portray men as never being able to restrain themselves. Yes, men and women think differently, and not being a man, I will never understand exactly what it feels like to think like a man, but, I know there are honourable men out there who would never kiss a woman while being engaged to someone else.

That happens not one, not twice, but multiple times during the course of the novel. It was absolutely horrifying. I couldn't believe they weren't capable of keeping their mouths to themselves. I mean, once as an accident, I can understand, but several times?

I really did not like the character of Collin. He was so young, so immature, such an impossible rake. He talked about his past as though he had been womanizing and drinking and raking for over fifteen years, but he was only twenty-one, and had started in the path of perdition only shortly after graduating high school. That did not give him that much experience. Even after his conversion, I still didn't truly like him. I never felt like he was part of the O'Connor family, that he belonged with them. It seemed to me he caused so much mayhem between the two O'Connor sisters, I didn't understand why Mr. and Mrs. O'Connor were so adamant he becomes part of the family.

Speaking of which, why were the parents so darn present in Charity and Faith's love lives?! If I were in love with my sister's fiancé, I would rather move to Nepal then tell them the truth! Why did they have to know every single detail? And knowing all that Collin did and how much pain he caused, why did they so want he married one of the sisters? And especially, WHY CHARITY?! Patrick knew that Collin was falling for Faith, yet he keeps asking when he's going to marry Charity. NOBODY CARES ABOUT CHARITY!!! Marcy was the same; "When are you going to marry Charity?", "Please work things out with Charity!". Like, hello you guys, he preferred going to war rather than marry Charity, CAN'T YOU SEE HE DOESN'T LOVE HER???

And Charity in love with Collin, pish-tosh! She was never in love in her life! Marcy knows that she has a score of admirers and suitors after Collin leaves for war, it should be obvious to her that she no longer wants him! But no, she keeps repeating that Charity loves Collin.

So many of the characters actions and thoughts did not make sense.

I think the part that maddened me the most was when Mitch agreed to take Charity out to dinner a month after Faith had broken up with him. She broke up with him, because of freaking Charity. Mitch was completely heartbroken when she left him. He should be hating Charity for what she did, not be able to stomach the sight of her. But what does he do? Yeah, he takes her out and feels attracted to her. The heck!?!??!

And Faith?! Her reaction at some point when Mitch hurts her is SO completely out of character. She goes into a white rage, storming and crying and shutting everyone out, including God. She refuses to talk to anyone, doesn't let Mitch explain anything, and is flat out unrecognizable. I couldn't believe the turn she was taking.

I mean, Faith's faith (haha!) is the main reason why this book gets five stars. Because save that one part where she completely loses it, she was such a wonderful model of piety and godly love, that I felt really inspired and completely loved her. Rarely have I seen a character's faith so well drawn out and so believable in a Christian fiction novel. Often you have the good, perfect heroines who never do anything wrong and who accept God's will in everything or the ones who are struggling with their faith for some reason or another. But Faith...Faith she's something more. She's understandable. She's completely human, completely real, with plenty of flaws and plenty of qualities. But it's the way she lives, the way she believes that is wonderful. She loves God. Loves him wholeheartedly and unconditionally, the way all good Christians should. I found her so inspiring, so wonderful that I found myself wanting to copy her in many ways (not kissing another woman's fiancé, mind you). She made me want to be closer to God, pick up my Bible and find comfort in the Holy Scriptures, pray about everything, and turn my sorrows into joys. Her values and principles were not only excellent and commendable, they were accessible. They are everyday things that anybody can do, that anybody can successfully accomplish. I loved that aspect. I love reading an Inspirational book and thinking how I can apply the beliefs and faith to my own life, and seeing that it's possible. And that, my dear friends, is what a Christian book should be all about, in my opinion. A good Christian novel should make you want to grow, make you want to be better, make you want to know God better, and make you want to do some changes in your life.

And for that, because it succeeded so well, I'm giving A Passion Most Pure a deserving and unshameful five stars.

Oh, yes, there were many things that infuriated me. I threw my Kindle on the bed many times, swearing under my breath, vowing never to touch another Julie Lessman book in my life. The love triangle was the most frustrating thing I’d ever read about, the characters were often irrational and sometimes hard to follow, Charity was downright detestable, there were so many annoying smoochy kisses that shouldn’t have happened, so many emotions, so many tears, and yet…I couldn’t put it down. I just had to know what would happen next. And truthfully, when a book makes me feel such strong emotions, it’s a sign that it’s a pretty good book.

When we all thought …good grief. I walked in the kitchen one morning after having read long into the night, and explained what had happened to my mom, and told her it affected me almost as much as if I’d known the man personally. She gave me a long look and said “I can see that!”. I’m probably crazy to let fictional characters affect me so much, but I can’t help it, they just do, and when I can’t shake them off, I know I loved the book.

I debated with myself as to whether or not I should continue with the series, seeing as how the next book with feature the amazing Charity as the heroine, and not sure if I’m feeling up to another roller-coaster swirl of strong emotions, but at last I decided that, hang it all, I can’t just leave these characters hanging, and I simply have to continue!

I apologize for the unseemly length of this review, but guys, I really needed to vent. ;)

Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Taylor Swift!!

”'Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate’”

Review of book 2 A Passion Redeemed (Daughters of Boston, #2) by Julie Lessman : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
Review of book 3 A Passion Denied (Daughters of Boston, #3) by Julie Lessman :
Profile Image for Aerykah.
461 reviews27 followers
August 12, 2015
This is a good book, I suppose. I mean, the story line kept my attention and I really did want to see how it would all work out. For the most part, I did enjoy her writing style. And a lot of the Christian messages of the book were great!

BUT...

There were several things that I didn't like about this book. The thing that bothered me most is that I think it was too... sensual. Was there anything "wrong" or "inappropriate"? Most people probably wouldn't think so. But it seemed like the characters just couldn't keep their hands and mouths to themselves!

I had a really hard time cheering for (or even liking) the main characters. They really made me mad quite a lot. In fact, through most of this book I felt sad, annoyed, aggravated, frustrated, disappointed... even a bit depressed. Sure it ended well (for the most part), but it wasn't very enjoyable getting to that ending.

All the back & forth and love triangle stuff really got annoying! The characters couldn't make up their minds and I got kinda tired of reading about it all.

I really don't understand how so many people were able to give this book 5 stars...

It's rare for my favorite characters to not be the main characters, but mine in this book were probably Mr. & Mrs. O'Connor (loved the relationship between these two!) and Mrs. Gerson (what a lady!).

Will I read more books by this author? I'll probably try at least one more. Though I don't know that I'll be finishing this series... especially since the next book is about Charity & I can't stand that girl!
Profile Image for Katie.
Author 2 books119 followers
August 3, 2011
What a roller coaster ride of emotions A Passion Most Pure takes the reader on! Not only are the romantic readers satisfied by the countless warm moments, but this book over bounds with lessons! Faith's personal relationship with the Lord was really sweet and watching her parents, Patrick and Marcy, relying on the Lord through every dark moment was inspiring. You can't read A Passion Most Pure and not learn something by the end!

This was Julie Lessman's debut novel, and I'm blown away by it. It was so well written and each character brought to such vivid life! Her writing was bold, but at the same time so soft and sweet! I can really understand now why Julie continues to rack up fans as she keeps turning out such powerful fiction!

I'd personally recommend this book to mature or adult readers. There are many sensual and passionate kisses between different characters throughout the book that, depending on the reader, might be okay or way too much. Collin and Mitch are both known to sleep around frequently with other women (but as the story progresses, I was excited to see them changing!). There's cheating on relationships (with painful consequences following) and once Charity thinks about her best features while undressing. Patrick and Marcy have a lot of tender moments and frequently "make love" to each other, though Julie doesn't go into explicit detail beyond heated kisses.

The tender moments between Patrick and Marcy were actually one of my favorite parts of the book. I love reading about couples that have been married for years, but still are madly in love with each other! So sweet! When I reached the end of this book, I was elated at how Faith's story ends...but at the same time, I was dying to know what would happen to Mitch and if Charity would ever learn her lesson! Also, I was a little disappointed that Faith didn't ask Charity's forgiveness for the things she said and did before leaving. I was kind of hoping she'd make peace with her before it ended. Guess I'll just have to wait and see in A Passion Redeemed!

So, all in all, I enjoyed this read. Definitely a pretty edgy romance for me, with many passionate kisses, but the passion wasn't all about kissing, either--there was also the passion in Patrick and Marcy's marriage, the passion for the Lord in Faith, and a passion to find true healing, love, and acceptance in Collin. There were parts in A Passion Most Pure that had me smiling in joy, and other times that had me in a puddle of tears. No character in here is perfect, each one stumbles--as we all do in this life. With ups and downs constantly throughout this book, you just have to hold on for dear life!
Profile Image for April.
268 reviews73 followers
March 23, 2010
Despite this being faith fiction romance, I had high hopes for this book. I've had pretty good luck before with free Kindle downloads in this genre, mainly because for me the time periods are anything but the usual fare, and the stories are actually newish to me, and A Passion Most Pure started off looking like it might be another one of those.

The story takes place in Boston (and later Ireland), in the 1910s, which was a plus. Coupled with the great cover, it was very, very promising. I even liked how the first chapter started. Then the head hopping began.

In general, for romance, I like an alternating third person POV between the hero and the heroine, and I expect the changeover to happen at the start of each chapter, so that each chapter is confined to either the hero's POV or the heroine's POV. I might even be open to a third POV from a villain or to a book where there's only one POV.

But this book has multiple POVs, and it changes frequently within a chapter. It's very annoying in a romance.

Still, I could have overlooked that one flaw and graded this better, but there were a few other things about this book that bothered me. The following paragraphs may have spoilers, so beware.

While it was fairly clear who the heroine's love interest was -- the man she'll end up with -- I found it pretty creepy that it's a man who has kissed her sister. In fact, two of the three men who are her possible love interest passionately kiss the heroine's sister at some point or another. One of them is even engaged to the sister for a long period of time.

Anyway, the heroine gets pretty passionate with both these men, both of whom are womanizers when it comes to other women. She is supposed to be this virtuous, god-loving woman, and yet she manages to capture the love of two men who sleep around by NOT sleeping with them -- except that she's totally OK with hotly kissing them, even the one engaged to her sister, which is so contradictory; virtuous enough not to put out, but perverted enough to kiss a sister's fiancé? Ick. One womanizing man being snagged this way, I can believe. Two, I find a little hard to believe. And I find the swapping sisters thing a whole lot more wrong and gross than sleeping with a man just to sleep with him.

Also, there are some plot inconsistencies, which makes me think the editors weren't paying close attention. When a family member "dies" in the war, the sister takes it upon herself to let the other family members know. A month later, the mother and the heroine's fiancé travel to Boston. Now, the heroine is told of the visit by telegram ... at the same time that she's told of the family member's death -- but wait, she was supposed to have been told a month before, right after the family found out. Wasn't she? A little plot boo-boo there.

Later, a character you thought you were never going to see again seems to pop up out of nowhere, and the whole plot point just seems badly planned and ill executed, all for dramatic effect.

This is on top of all those times throughout the book where the author somehow badly contrives to get the heroine and the hero alone. A sibling has to be tucked in, or a neighbor has to be walked home, and it's always so handily done so that the two people who shouldn't be alone together are, even though it could so much more easily have been otherwise.

And the faith part of the book? A sledgehammer. It's practically in every page and just reeks and reeks of bible-thumping, preaching fervor. Paired with the sister swapping theme, the book made me really uncomfortable with all its hypocritical weirdness.

It simply got to the point where I had to force myself to finish the book because I was dying to know how such a badly done book could end.

She does end up with the man I thought she would, but given the strong focus on the sister rivalry, I thought there'd be more about how the sister ends up; I was disappointed there.

Downloaded March 16, 2010. Finished reading March 21, 2010.
Profile Image for Michelle.
Author 37 books402 followers
December 12, 2007
Book Description:

Refusing to settle for anything less than a romantic relationship that pleases God, Faith O'Connor steels her heart against her desire for the roguish Collin McGuire. But when Collin tries to win her sister Charity's hand, Faith is not sure she can handle the jealousy she feels. To further complicate matters, Faith finds herself the object of Collin's affections, even as he is courting her sister. The Great War is raging overseas, and a smaller war is brewing in the O'Connor household.

My review:

This is moving to the top of my list of favorite books of all time. It's packed with romantic tension, and emotional and spiritual passion. It made me crazy as I wasn't sure what I wanted them to do and my feelings were all over the place. I did enjoy the ending, though, as it was very satisfying and I cried through the last three chapters or so. Don't read ahead if you get this book. It'll spoil the joy and wonder of the story for you. I was tempted to do that several times (which I never do) because I so desperately wanted to know who Faith ended up with, but I was good and I'm glad I didn't peek.

What an emotional roller coaster ride! I got whiplash from the plot twists and the changing of the tides. My heart soared and plummeted along with Faith. I could not stop reading this book and hauled it with me everywhere. It's long (like 480 pages) but I wouldn't cut a thing. Everything is relevant and important to the story. I'll admit that I was extremely curious about this book after reading an article that said it was overly sensual. I disagree. Just because you are in her head and her thoughts are honest doesn't make it sensual. A lot of author's can write about kissing but most aren't daring enough to write the honest thoughts in a heroine's head. That's what this author did that was so fabulous. If she took out the internal thoughts she would remove the alleged sensuality, but then the passion is squeezed from the story and it would be a dry scene with description, but no life. I loved this story. It's daringly innovative and the most fabulous debut I've ever read. Plus, the historical portion of the novel was well done, too. I felt like I was there!

One last thought...I see this as a clearly Christian novel in that the emphasis is that having passion for God is what makes a marriage a beautiful, solid, and holy union and anything less than that is robbing you of the joy you could experience if you loved within the boundaries God set. It's a very strong message but done naturally and through the story. It feels real. Without the love of Christ in our hearts we are truly deprived of the most intimate love their is. This story delivers that message with such perfection I want every woman who has not married yet to read this book! It would save a lot of heartache if women trusted God in regards to their marriage partner.

Before you judge this book you need to read it for yourself. Initially I struggled with the number of POVs but once I got into the story I see how important that was for the author to include so many. Bravo!
Profile Image for Libby Powell.
169 reviews24 followers
September 29, 2021
I don't think I've ever been so frustrated with characters before I read A Passion Most Pure... I literally sat there turning pages with a running commentary under my breath, eyes rolled upward, groaning "that's such a stupid idea, please don't do it!" And of course, they always did.

I am having a really hard time figuring out my thoughts on this book. On the one hand, it's incredibly well-written, the characters are vivid, and a huge part of me could relate strongly to Faith's struggle with wanting to remain faithful to God above all else. Her faith in the Lord was to me the most encouraging, well-done part of the book.

On the other hand, the romance was definitely intense, which isn't something I love, though there were no explicit scenes. Lessman's characters deal heavily with the sin of lust, and for the most part I think she approached it appropriately enough. There were some very real issues she addressed in this book in a powerful way. However, it felt somewhat off to me that none of the men in the story were able to control their desire. Even being engaged or married, if temptation made an appearance, I learned to expect (with dread) that things would spiral downward very quickly. I'm halfway upset that

I think I'll still read the next book, for Charity's sake... she was one of the characters that evoked the most sympathy in me, and I truly look forward to seeing how her character is developed and grown. But as for A Passion Most Pure, it was more confusing to me than satisfying. I'm hoping that things will be better resolved in A Passion Redeemed.
Profile Image for Beth.
775 reviews315 followers
February 27, 2013
I had high hopes for this one. Most of Goodreads friends absolutely rave about Lessman's books, so perhaps the style of writing just isn't my cup of tea. That said, I did enjoy the book, and I found myself eager to keep the pages turning.

I definitely liked the O'Connor family. They were really fun to be around, and I loved how the marriage of Marcy & Patrick is passionate, realistic and filled with challenges-it felt very true to life & it was refreshing to see their perspective as parents. Lessman's style of easy to read.

However...I wanted more description of the setting. I never felt very grounded, whether in Boston or Ireland. This is my preference. I know a lot of reader could care less about setting description, but for me, it's important.

Some of the faith aspects, felt very "on the nose," but again, the could be preference. I felt like some of the character interactions and actions were a bit off. For example, one of the ladies & a gentlemen were kissing on the porch...the porch of the house where the rest of the family is inside? It didn't make sense to me. Another instance is where Faith & Collin are arguing in the kitchen, heatedly, and the rest of the family is just in the parlor. It just felt strange. Another weird aspect was how horrible Charity behaved & how no one ever said a word about it. But then Faith makes one mistake & the whole family is in an upheaval. I just wanted more on their dynamic where Charity is concerned. This may be addressed in the second book that features Charity, but something should have been said.

I was also weary of the love triangle. I honestly didn't understand why Faith was in love with Colin. He was a jerk. He is probably better, but we don't really get to see much of him after the war. I wanted Faith to end up with the other man. I thought they fit each other so much better-which brings me to another aspect that I didn't like. It made men seem so ruled by their lust for women that they just couldn't keep from making out with Charity. I guess I just have a bit more faith in men than that. I could handle it from Collin, but once Mitch did the same thing, I just couldn't buy it.

Despite the negative things I said about A Passion Most Pure, I did like it. The aspects that weren't based on love triangles and relationship drama were more to my taste--family dynamics & World War I, for example. I loved Lessman's take on that. I had the pleasure of chatting with her here on Goodreads, and she was very gracious and kind about my opinion, so I am a fan of her for that and the aspects of the story that I did like. I guess I just don't enjoy the more dramatic type of story. I have a copy of Charity's story, A Passion Redeemed, and I will give it a try eventually.
Profile Image for Sandy.
291 reviews187 followers
August 14, 2013
What a SOAP OPERA.

First off, this has got to be one of the most ridiculous book titles I've ever seen. I was so embarrassed to be seen reading this book with a title like that.

And then there was the plot. It's a deranged love square filled with lust, seduction, jealousy--you get the idea. Lots of scenes of a sister walking in on the person she loves kissing her sister. Every man is portrayed as weak and lust-driven, and what's with all these men forcing kisses at every turn? I'm sorry, but that's just not hot. Not at all. This read like those romance novels from the 80s where it was supposed to be romantic that the hero is so incapable of control that he forces the heroine to kiss him even after she says no and tries to push him away. NO MEANS NO, and I'm disgusted that it's portrayed as romantic that both Collin and Mitch keep forcing Faith to kiss them.

The relationship between these two sisters is one of the most despicable I've ever seen. I have sisters. I LOVE MY SISTERS. I can't imagine sisters EVER acting towards each other like these two. Charity is one of the most loathsome characters I've ever seen, but Faith's not that great either. Sure, Faith preaches and prays and acts pious, but beneath that righteous facade is a hypocritical person who is selfish and jealous and uses people just like Charity.

I can't imagine that if these relationships were real, any of them would turn out okay. There's just too much poison and betrayal and history for any of these people to be happy with each other. Could you honestly forgive either of these girls if they were YOUR sister and did these things? Maybe eventually, but why in the world would you want to be with the offending guy after something like this?

What can I say? This family must sure have some great Thanksgivings and Christmases in store with these two girls and their future husbands sitting across from each other at the table.
Profile Image for Sumati.
48 reviews92 followers
September 16, 2016
I can never understand fanaticism!! This book was like a religious propaganda.

but here is the catch!

The main characters were all highly depraved ......

one sister is in love with her younger sister's boyfriend and keeps allowing him to kiss her. He is in love with the older sister but wants to marry the younger sister because he can control his feelings for her. The other one wants god in between their love but passionately returns every kiss. The younger sister, despite growing up in a Christian home, uses her feminine wiles to get her way. The older sister becomes engaged to one man - because he loves god -, but she catches him in a compromising position with the younger sister. Later she was ready to marry him again. Men here pounce to kiss and women comply. I could say a lot more but what is the point anyway? you get the point!
Profile Image for Rachel Brand.
1,043 reviews95 followers
September 10, 2016
I wrote a really long review and then my laptop died. It gave me absolutely no warning that the battery was low, so I'm a bit annoyed. I'll come back and write a full review later, but in short:

Pros:
* Good initial setting descriptions in Boston
* Loved the O'Connor family, particularly Katie; looking forward to seeing what she's like as an adult
* Good insight into the relationship between Patrick and Marcy, particularly their parenting struggles

Cons:
* Setting descriptions disappear after a while. I know I suck at this in my own writing, so I shouldn't criticise, but they truly were lacking.
* The only character who seems to have any sort of development is Collin
* Faith's faith isn't very consistent--she clings to God for most of the book, almost like a "band aid", to steal the words of another reviewer. So whenever anything bad happens, she just prays and feels 100% better. Until the end of the book, where one event turns her very bitter and hateful and she gives up on God for 20 pages until a friend makes her rediscover her faith. Considering her previous faith, this seemed very unrealistic.
* Marcy's character got a bit over-the-top towards the end of the book.
* No explanation is every given for Charity's behaviour and why she's always chasing men and seeking validation from them. I know this might be covered in the next book, but she seemed very caricatured.
* Portrays men as being slaves to their animalistic sexual desires who cannot resist a pretty girl when she's flirting with them.
* Given Faith's strong faith, you think she could have called on God to help her to restrain herself from kissing her sister's fiancé, and from kissing another man when she was engaged herself.
* The fact that Faith was portrayed as being a good moral example and yet kissed the wrong men was very contradictory. I didn't find her terribly faithful, to be honest! I suppose you could argue that, it's okay, she ended up with the guy she kept kissing, but whether you're married/engaged/dating, kissing someone outside the relationship is cheating in my book, so some of the scenes Faith ended up in made me feel very uncomfortable and I struggled to root for her.
* In short, too much drama for me. It might have worked in a TV show or film, but the drama felt too overwrought.
* Book is pushed along by drama (e.g. Charity interfering), not the characters' inner journeys. I felt like the external conflict would have been better, had it been paired with an internal conflict of some sort. The inner conflicts were lacking.

Overall, I think I'm giving this book a 2.5, but I really did struggle with the amount of cheating on Faith's part and the way the men in this book were portrayed. I don't think it sent a great message, particularly to single girls. I might have enjoyed this more if I were single or still dating, but now that I'm married I didn't relate to Faith (finding her rather self-righteous) and I do genuinely worry about how much this book buys into the stereotype that men are ruled by their sexual desires and have no control over their actions. Either that, or Charity is some mythical seductive siren.

I'll format this into a proper review at some point. Ultimately, I thought this book was just average--not totally terrible but not great either. I might have been tempted to give up if I hadn't paid for it and wasn't reading it with a group. I really wish I'd enjoyed this book more, and I might have at another stage in my life. I'll give this author another go, since I have one of her later books on my Kindle. Maybe her writing will have developed in this book and I'll appreciate it more. It's a pity, since so many of my friends LOVED this book, but then again, so many of them love Karen Kingsbury and I'm not a fan of her either. I'll let my thoughts settle before I reformat my review, but there were just some aspects of this book that made me feel rather uncomfortable. 2.5*
Profile Image for Melanie.
1,901 reviews550 followers
September 2, 2012
Review on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/R3FDW948...

First let me just say that I was completely wrong about this book. I admit it. After reading some reviews on Amazon about it being too "edgy" or "passionate" or something along those lines, I didn't really plan on reading it, but my sister and mother both loved the book so I thought I'd give it a try.

I really don't know what people were talking about. Yes, there were scenes with the mother and father and them talking about love, but the scenes ended before anything like that happened. I mean there were some things that some people might not like - like the lust certain men felt in this book - but I loved the redemption story. Although I didn't particularly care for a lot of the kissing, in my opinion nothing went overboard and I think the characters were realistic.

I finally see what people meant about Charity! Not going into specifics, but let's just say I thought she was very mean and selfish at times - I'm looking forward to reading her book, A Passion Redeemed, to see how/if things change.

There were some shocking surprises in A Passion Most Pure that I did NOT see coming! I was so shocked and it literally brought tears to my eyes (even now, as I'm thinking back on it, I'm getting misty-eyed). One thing in particular about this book that I really loved was that many Bible verses were quoted and faith was a big aspect of the book.

While I don't recommend this book for younger readers, I think mature readers who enjoy historical romance will also enjoy A Passion Most Pure.

*I won a copy of this book and was not required to review it... I chose to. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.*
Profile Image for Anne Osterlund.
Author 5 books5,528 followers
December 29, 2011
Faith O’Connor has always been in love with Collin McGuire. Since the day he rescued her in high school.
Before his father died. And Collin’s dreams died as well. And Collin McGuire became . . . trouble.

When Faith catches him kissing her younger sister, Charity, the questions begin. Who will save Charity from Collin’s manipulations? And rescue Faith from her own heart?
And when he realizes he just might be kissing the wrong sister, who will rescue Collin?
From them both.

I loved this! A Passion Most Pure is Christian historical fiction set against the backdrop of World War I. A smooth, joyous, romantic read. With wonderful relationship building among the entire O’Connor family. I enjoyed Collin’s evolution from outsider to family member and his struggles with all the resulting dynamics. Complete with several very realistic catfights:)
Profile Image for Lauren.
49 reviews
June 5, 2012
Out of 5
Style of Writing: 4 (really liked it)
There is no doubt that Lessman has a way with words the book was very well written. She was definitely able to put you in the time the book was set (early 1900's).
Originality/Creativity: 2 (it was ok)
This story wasn't anything you hadn't heard before. I know "nothing is new" in literature but there were places in this book where she could have made this more original.
Character development: 1 (didn't like)
The characters developed little and suddenly (Collin) or not at all (Faith and Charity). This book was seriously lacking any real emotional depth. Also, most of the emotion experienced by the characters were explosive and unrealistic.
Plot development & flow: 1 (didn't like)
At some point this book began to read like a soap opera that kept repeating itself. The main love triangle went back and forth for the first half of the book and then the second love triangle did and then the third... you get my point.
Enjoyment Factor: 2 (it was ok)
I started off really enjoying this book, read the first half in a few hours until the plot started to repeat itself.
Overall Rating: 2 (it was ok)
I had a lot of problems with this book unfortunately, the last 20 or so pages I just kind of lightly read through to see how it would end (predictably).
Biggest problem: As mentioned before several times the plot was just lacking which is a shame she had a lot of material to go with. Faith is trying to make a name for herself in journalism in the 1920's (no conflict was present, really?), she used to be a cripple with braces (Lessman just dropped that completely), she was morally chaste (all the conflict was here, all of it). I don't know, a lot more could have been done was all.
Another problem: How she portrayed the families faith in God. Yes God heals all wounds, yes He sees you through the dark times and the light, yes God is always there but we are human. Even the most devout doubt. Sometimes it time that has to heal along with God. God was used much like a band-aid in this book. "Oh I'm in so much emotional pain and I'm suffering but I have God I feel fine now." That fast. That's how fast it seemed characters got over earth shattering (for most) trials. I mean don't get me wrong, I love that the theme of this book is that God heals, loves, forgives. It just could have been more realistic for me I suppose.
Last problem I will mention: Character development. There. was. none. Faith and her sister Charity change not one bit throughout the book. Even during Faith's "dark" time, she came out the other side of it no different and Charity developed NOTHING. No shame, no respect, no love for God. Nothing.
Collin develops some but it occurs so quickly it's more like a slap in the face than anything else to the reader. "No. No God for me, nope I'm a sinner. LUST FOR ME PREEEASE!! oH No wait I love Faith, I needs God." Again, that fast.
Over all I'd have to say pass on this book kids. Not at all what I was expecting.
Profile Image for sydney.
371 reviews79 followers
December 26, 2022
A nice reread!

I really enjoyed the writing style and how the story plays out like a family drama. The characters felt very fleshed out, and I really love the faith of the O'Connor family. There was a lot of deep and raw emotion in this story, and hardships that tested the faith of the characters. Collin's journey to faith is probably one of my favorites in all the CF books I've read. I love how it wasn't an instantaneous conversion; it was a slow build of all the conversations he had throughout the book that built on top of one another until finally he had his "come to Jesus" moment.

Though not exactly a true critique, this seems to be more a story that is just set in a historical period as opposed to an actual historical fiction. Usually I feel transported in time when I read HF but not with this one. Though historical detail is not the main focus of this story, I do wish it had more of a historical feel to it.

What I did not like, was the men in this story. Mitch reminded me of Sir Richard Carlisle from Downton Abbey (not exactly a compliment) and Collin, after his conversion, kissed an engaged woman?? After supposedly putting to bed his desires for her, and then tells her he can't go any further than that because he's a man of God now?? How about not kissing her in the first place.

Overall though, I did enjoy this story and I do want to read the next book in this series.
Profile Image for Jocelyn Green.
Author 28 books1,168 followers
February 13, 2012
This is a book you can really sink your teeth into. It's long enough to allow for great character development for several characters, rather than just one or two main ones surrounded by a cast of cardboard cut-out extras.
The protagonist, Faith, is someone you will really care about. I can't stress how important this is. All of the books I didn't really get into can be traced back to one fatal flaw: I didn't care about the main character. If you don't care about her (or him), you don't care what happens, and there's no reason to turn the page. Faith O'Connor will keep you turning the pages til the very end.
Even the antagonists are likeable, or at least understandable, creating a rich, complex tale.
Faith is an integral part of Faith O'Connor, and therefore, of the entire book. It's woven in beautifully, unlike some Christian fiction books which just insert a few statements to qualify for the category.
Historical details are vivid and interesting. You'll get to know Boston of the early 1900s, as well as Dublin, Ireland.
You really cannot predict the ending. I didn't even know which man I was rooting for by the time I was two-thirds of the way into the book.
It's a satisfying ending, but with enough unresolved for Faith's sister Charity that you'll be eager to read the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Leah .
958 reviews
August 1, 2010
This book was like a bad soap opera. I find it hard to believe that this is a Christian book. While yes, there were references to faith and God, the storyline was not Christian at all! I was turned off by the men being passed around from sister to sister. I could understand the sibling rivalry to a point but it just went overbaord. There also seemed to be a large gap between the O'Connors hating Collin and loving him. What made them change their minds? I also couldn't understand why Mr. & Mrs. O'Connor WANTED their daughters to be with these two-timing guys! Why would they encourage either of their daughters to marry a guy who sleeps around and cheats on one sister with the other? Where is the Christian message in that? It seemed that the parents cared more for the sleezy guys than about their own daughters. The book was too hypocritcal - "I'm a good girl, I don't sleep around but it's okay to make out with my sister's boyfriend." Yuck. I read the summary of the second book and it's safe to say that I will not be reading it.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Becky.
Author 25 books3,182 followers
Read
May 17, 2015
I found myself completely pulled in by this historical romance! It's a detailed saga that spans a good deal of time, a war, and two continents. I'm a sucker for novels that are deep, intricate, and twisting. This one was. From the start I found myself caring not just for the heroine, Faith, but for her entire family.

The O'Connors are a large and lovable Irish family living in Boston in 1916. Faith has set her heart on Collin, a man who has romantic plans toward her sister. Faith's parents, Marcy and Patrick, do their best to guide Faith and the rest of their brood through dramas big and small while holding on to their love for one another and their faith in God. It was wonderful and refreshing to follow Faith's love story as well as Marcy and Patrick's love story as the novel unfolded.

Kudos to my friend, Julie Lessman! I was charmed and wholly drawn in by A Passion Most Pure.
Profile Image for Debra Ullrick.
Author 37 books82 followers
February 20, 2009
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. If you love romance, you'll love, A Passion Most Pure. The characters are amazing. In fact, I hated for the story to end, because I fell in love with all of the people in the story. This is a true romance. You don't have to wait for the last page to enjoy sweet kisses and yummy dreams.
Profile Image for Maggie.
Author 10 books259 followers
July 14, 2009
I just loved this book! Julie Lessman has a gift for drawing the reader immediately into the story filled with passion, desire and forgiveness.
Profile Image for Grace Johnson.
Author 11 books282 followers
December 19, 2020
*Warnings*
#1 This is a long review, so pull up a chair and grab a bowl of popcorn. You'll be here awhile. #2 When I read a review, I want substantial information. So I will not skimp on the details. Which will mean some spoilers, so watch out. #3--additional warning reserved only for this review--don't--I repeat--don't read this review if you know you don't want to read this book. The entire purpose of this review is to denounce all negativity surrounding this novel and author and coerce you, in no uncertain terms, to purchase and read this book, in the process losing your sanity and resolve.

I. am. speechless.
Partly because of how negative most of these reviews are--and I mean the first ones that pull up, not the 1-star reviews you have to dig for.
Mostly because of how utterly wrong those reviews are.

All right. Anyone who follows my reviewing habits knows I'm biased about Julie Lessman. I love the author--she is hands-down awesome--as a writer and a person. 😊😘 I love her books--particularly one of her newer series, Isle of Hope.
But, you know what? I used to be the other way around. I can't tell you when it started, but I know it started with Christian Book Distributors and A Passion Most Pure. I'm one of the weirdo readers who likes to stalk books and authors--one of the best ways to do that is first, CBD, second, Amazon, and third, official websites. Yes. This is a step-by-step guide to being a book-stalker. I check out new and upcoming on CBD's fiction sections, scroll through their specific categories, window-shop online. Sometimes, I find a cover or a title that catches my eye.
A Passion Most Pure was one of them. Well, then I hopped from CBD to Amazon and then Julie Lessman's website. I saw her list of books, read her bio, clicked on the headers Excerpts, Kisses, Kisses, Kisses, and Fave Kissing Scenes. There I found sections of kiss scenes and spiritual excerpts. (To be honest, I kind of ignored the spiritual ones. 🤫) Reading those kiss scenes did something to me--it made my toes curl, my cheeks turn red, and my heart start to pound. (All of that is true. I'm a prudish girl whose eyes have been known to grow extremely wide at an extremely quick rate. However, I've made it through Gone with the Wind and Redeeming Love , so I guess that's a moot point now.)
It also made me vow--yes. I pretty much promised myself--that I would never read a book by Julie Lessman. Ever. Why? Uh...I don't really know. I was kind of shocked by the continual theme of Irish Catholic womanizers and weak-kneed women who don't know how to steel those knees and hit 'em where it hurts. (No, I'm not a feminist. My heroines are almost all pirates--or victims who have learned their lesson--though. So...*shrugs shoulders*...most of them know what they're doing. Most of the time. 😉)
I guess I figured I would play it safe.
Well, I broke that promise and crossed a line I'm proud to say I crossed. My love affair with Julie Lessman's books all started with one free novella. Since then, I've read six of her books within, eh, roughly three-to-four weeks.

Anyway...
Here I am.
I'm not one of those baby Christians who still craves secular fiction--far from it! I've been saved for over half my life, and I'm allergic to secular anything. I'm also not a girl with a weakness for rakes in real life. (Apparently, I'm one with a weakness for guys like my dad, who is anything but a rake, thank God.) I'm also a girl who has virtually no experience with men outside of the books I read, movies I watch, and baby brothers whose diapers I change.
So passionate romance doesn't really sound like my thing, does it? Yeah, try being introduced to YA romance at the age of ten and see how that happens. Now I have a weakness for three-paragraph-long kiss scenes that make my knees like jelly and hot as, well, you know heroes who can't seem to keep their hands to themselves.

Collin McGuire is one of them.

Let me go ahead and assure you--that, yes, this is another one of my famous convincing reviews. Isn't that what they're for? Oh, wait. Breaking news coming in. No, reviews are not--I repeat--not meant for convincing readers of the awesomeness of a book. They are for sharing honest opinions and influencing the popularity of the book, thereby helping the author gain publicity for either being stuffily boring or heart-meltingly sweet.
Oh. *hides a sheepish grin behind laptop screen*
I guess I'm kind of too late for popularity influencing then, aren't I? 12 years too late, that is, for over 5,000 people have already read and rated this book on Goodreads alone. Now what am I supposed to do? Convince the remaining approximately 7,593,994000 people of the world that A Passion Most Pure is for them?
Probably not a good idea. You know why?
Because this book isn't for everyone. It's not. I'd like to say it is--I'll recommend it to everyone--but that would be a bit of a lie.

Here's why it might not be for you:
It's preachy. Yes. That's my number one excuse, my first reason. Why? Because apart from the "preachiness," the spirituality of this novel, there is nothing. No plot. No characters. No romance. No nothing. Because God is the very foundation of the author's life, her career, this book, the characters in this book, and--quite importantly--the passion in this book. God is there, on every page. He's there in the long conversation between the heroine, Faith O'Connor, and her neighbor Mrs. Gerson. He's there in the marriage of Faith's parents, Patrick and Marcy. He's there in the war across the sea. He's there even in Collin and Mitch and Charity--I know, I know, shocking. If you can't stand to hear the word of God preached or put into action, then, yeah, it's not for you.
It's passionate. This one's kind of obvious. It's all anyone complains about in Julie's case. There are a number of kiss scenes--a number I wouldn't dare to count, let alone name. Kiss scenes between married couples. Kiss scenes between engaged couples. Kiss scenes between couples who have no reason to be kissing. You've got to understand where this lady is coming from. She was inspired by Gone With the Wind, people, so if you liked the classic, then you'll ADORE this novel. But if you, like my dad and brother, hated the book or movie--or Rhett Butler (😍😍🥰😘) in general--then, yeah, it's not for you.
It's dramatic. Charity O'Connor is a wee bit of a Scarlett O'Hara herself. (Meaning, yes, she'll get her Rhett. Let's hope she gets to keep him, shall we?) But if you endured Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy and, more specifically, her antagonist Julia Valerian--oh, I HATE that girl--then Charity will be absolutely nothing. Yes. She has what I call sexual issues. She turns to men--to flirting with them, smothering them, sleeping with them, tempting them, whatever--for some sort of sick satisfaction. She wasn't a problem for me, because I have a character of my own exactly like that. Charity, Collin, Faith, and Mitch's situation is insanely dramatic. Again, I didn't care because I have some seriously dramatic extended family, so I hear stories. If you like action films, the History Channel, or no movies or television at all, then, yeah, it's not for you.
It's real. If you have an aversion to reality and the drama, preachiness, passion, idiocy, and hypocrisy of it, then, um, welcome to the club. We all dislike drama, ours and others' stupidity, how we and other people can be blatant hypocrites. If you read to escape drama, then, yeah, it's not for you. Sorry. I truly am.

However, there's hope. Here's why it might actually be for you:
It's beautiful. The prose. The reality of it. The vibrancy of the characters and settings. The story of love and redemption. Even the drama.

By the way, Collin is actually a great guy. He loves kids, he comes from a interesting home-life, and he's misguided. Deep inside, he's trying. We all are, aren't we? But just because we're trying in a different way, a self-perceived "better" way, doesn't make us better than those who are trying in what we would call a "wrong" way. There is only one WAY. We're all looking for Him somewhere.
And Faith...well, she's not perfect. She makes mistakes. She screws up just as much as Collin or Charity. She hits rock bottom and wonders why. And do you know why? Because one day, you'll hit rock bottom and you'll wonder why. Will you, like Faith, chose to look to Him when you do?
But Mitch...mm-mm. Mitch, my man! He's not really the womanizer some reviews have made him out to be--although my dad would probably disagree. Why? Because he calls Rhett Butler--oh, great Captain Butler--Rhett Butt-turd, so... If you're like me and you balk at the mere mention of such a foul name, then you. are. gonna. love. this. guy. Period.

Long story short...(have I ever mentioned how the best thing to do is bypass all that up there and skip to the "long story short"? My reviews are rants, and my rants never end, so...)
For a debut novel, Julie Lessman took a crazy chance, beginning a crazy journey for her readers and ending a crazy journey for her. A Passion Most Pure is a perfect picture of what she is all about--passion with a purpose. The basic, cut-and-dry plot of this novel is dramatic in a soap opera kind of way, but with the addition of her beautiful prose, realistic emotion, heartfelt passion, and ever-present preachiness, one can't help but realize that life is a cut-and-dry cheesy, dirty soap opera without the Lord--and that Julie Lessman's passion for edgy inspirational is just that, a passion most pure.

(By the way, has anyone ever noticed that people NEVER like you when you're doing the right thing? Just sayin'.)

BookWorm
111 reviews
January 2, 2021
Totally not a fan of all the forced kissing. Typical in old movies like Gone With the Wind, yes. Romantic, no. The hitting was also very not ok, both men and women. I would say it ruined it for me, but really there were so many other things that did that. The dad still wanting Collin to marry “one of” his daughters when Collin had cheated on both of them made no sense. What loving father would care so little for his daughters in that regard? Not only that, but when Mitch also cheats on Faith, her friends and family encourage her to give him a second chance, too? They should be telling her to dump him because she deserves better than that.

Then there were some good theological points, like prayer being powerful and purity important, but along side that were dangerous lies like “the right woman can tame the rogue in any man”. Missionary dating? Really? No. All of the men in the story reformed their roguish ways because of a pretty Christian girl. It’s the precarious fantasy that the bad boy will treat everyone else like crap, but for some strange reason treat you like a princess and change for you because you’re oh so very special and you can fix him.

My independent, feminist heart was also really irked by the fight between Patrick and Marcy - their first in 20 years of marriage, apparently - and it’s aftermath.

And then there was Charity, a conniving, selfish, manipulative, seductress. She destroys Faith’s life over and over and doesn’t believe in God, yet her parents never have anything to say about her behavior, and are still wishing her on the two men who tried to escape her machinations.

To top it all, the “reformed” Collin forces a kiss on the engaged Faith, breaking her engagement, and the author hints that Charity will marry Faith’s ex-fiancé just like Faith is marrying Charity’s ex-fiancé, and this is supposed to be a happy ending for a healthy Christian family?

I really wanted to like this book. I was hoping the author would change Faith’s desires to match God’s so that she’d end up even happier with a Godly man and forget about Collin altogether and have a truly pure passion (like the title suggested) in juxtaposition to the one that was not, or at least that the characters would be redeemed in the end, but that moment never came.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Sara.
115 reviews7 followers
June 6, 2010
I thought I didn't like Historical Romance books...but apparently I was wrong, because I loved this book! The story was full of passion and romance, but also had many accounts of conflict and sorrow, which made me sigh out in frustration and come close to tears, but also made it hard to put down and didn't make the book seem it's 475 pages long.

I loved, loved, loved how the "passion" was tasteful and yet exciting enough to leave the characters (and me) a bit breathless. Also, the marriage between Faith's parents was such a great example of a romantic and Godly marriage. I'm SO looking forward to the next books in this series, even if I wanted to slap Charity for her antics throughout this one. :) It's a great book!
Profile Image for Meghan.
64 reviews
November 21, 2010
Well, this is the second Lessman I have read, and though I still enjoyed the book, it lessened my opinion of her writing considerably. This was a carbon copy of A Hope Undaunted. Or I suppose the other way around, since this one was written first. But it had all the same types of characters: insanely handsome men who are good but rather driven by passion, women who end up engaged to two men or more over the course of the book, and all of it just way too over the top. The plot dragged on too long to be believable. This book belongs on the romance shelves: not the fiction shelf. Oh well. Two and a half stars.
Profile Image for Callie.
383 reviews118 followers
April 3, 2014
I wanted to like this book, but I honestly just didn't. I didn't like the plot, I didn't like the male protagonist, and I didn't like the way it ended. I felt like the book was dragged out alot by unnecessary dialogue. It also bugged me that every man in the book had one moment at least where they got carried away by their desires and cheated (or at least almost cheated) on their girlfriend/fiancé/wife. And I don't feel like the spiteful relationship between Faith and her sister was ever resolved. I honestly just skimmed my way through the second half of the book though, so I might have missed something.
Profile Image for Anne Perreault.
Author 21 books327 followers
December 15, 2021
I wish I could give this book 10 stars. I loved every second of reading this book. Faith resonated with me in so many ways, some I totally understood her sister. I loved the marriage relationship between Patrick and Marcy, which really highlighted that just because you're married doesn't mean that you don't have feelings for each other. I enjoyed Faith's steadfast insistence that she wait for the right man. I pretty much spent the last 100 to 200 pages ugly crying. This book touched me in so many ways... I think every young, unmarried woman ought to read this just because it's so encouraging to women that yeah, God has someone out there.
Profile Image for Jeannette Garcia.
80 reviews11 followers
May 20, 2012
Oh my goodness! This book is amazing. I don't think I've ever cried or laughed so much in any book. I was overtaken by so much emotion, I probably looked like a crazy person to bystanders. Julie Lessman is a very talented writer and might be among my favorites. I'm so excited to read the next book in this series... I'm just so excited that there's more to this story!!!!
Profile Image for Searock.
147 reviews1 follower
October 13, 2011
This is my first Christian romance and I loved it! So glad I have found this author who is willing to develop characters with spiritual, emotional and sexual issues to deal with. The author handles them all with a deft hand. I was able to relate to Faith's experiences and ultimately adored her character. Thank you Miss Lessman! I glad there are more books in this series to enjoy.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 567 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.