Start by marking “Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets” as Want to Read:
Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets

Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets

John J. Murphy has updated his landmark bestseller Technical Analysis of the Futures Markets, to include all of the financial markets.This outstanding reference has already taught thousands of traders the concepts of technical analysis and their application in the futures and stock markets. Covering the latest developments in computer technology, technical tools, and ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Prentice Hall Press (first published January 1st 1986)

Start your review of Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets
Saeed Mohamadi
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody who wants to start in this business.
Recommended to Saeed by: I don't remember.
I remember back in 2004 when I was just a teenager someone recommended this book to me in an online forum and I bought it and read it so many times and absolutely fell in love with this business and today this is my job so I think this book changed the course of my life. I read so many books in the past decade and tried so many methods and even created so many Trading strategies for myself,in fact it make me feel exhausted even thinking about it but it was all started with this book. Today when ...more
George Jankovic
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is complete, but most of the strategies don't work in real life when trading expenses and slipage are taken into account and certainly not in a taxable account.
Linda
Feb 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a very good overview of basic technical analysis. It's 15 years old so some of the computer stuff is out of date but the analysis part is fairly timeless.

Murphy is, remarkably for the subject, not too dry and does a good job of explaining things. Where the book falls short (and where most books like this do in my opinion, is that it cherry picks its examples and doesn't show much of the cases where the analysis fails or where it can be misapplied.

Even so, worth reading.
Peter
May 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A classic of Technical Analysis. The basic concepts are timeless, so if you want to learn the basics of TA, this book will help you get some general knowdlege of the subject.
Some indicator/oscilators proposed,money management and actual trading tips are sometimes outdated, but you can get the general concept here and start working your way up.
A great rookie book, with all the basics you need to cover. Mind you, this book should be only used as an introduction to TA and trading, and you should by
Ron Davis
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a solid introduction to technical analysis. Jack Schwager and Martin Pring have written good basic TA books that I have also read. The grandfather of all is Edwards and Magee, a new edition of which has been edited by WHC Bassetti. Edwards and Magee should be read in addition to one of the three authors above -- OR -- a more recent book (that I haven't read) by the notable duo, Kirkpatrick & Dahlquist.
Bidhan
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
After reading it I finally understand why it's called the bible for Technical Analysis. Will definitely be getting a hard copy for future reference.

I was smiling to myself while reading chapter 15 - Computers and Trading systems; its a keyhole into the past and also a reminder on how far technology has come.
Aditya
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I came across this book while searching for some good content on Technical Analysis of Stock Markets and during my hunt Murphy's book was omnipresent. I shall say the book is a good introductory material but that's what it is, at best, an introduction. It isn't much of a guide nor it is very comprehensive in the sense. The book is more of an academic standard than practical purpose. Mr. Murphy at times go on elaborating certain aspects which aren't much of a show and in particular the volume ...more
Grandesuperleo
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This Book Is really give a great overview of how FA makes good Judgment before going on trade

Although I'm still learning in the Financial Markets but i can Say this book is a real strong base for anyone to start

Jagatheesan Jack
Sep 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a gargatuan aggregation of technical analysis concepts covering stock, commodities etc . The market is tanking as I am writing this review but hei, it is never too early or late to learn something. Much to be learned though.
Chirayu Vyas
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book out there for Technical analysis.
Milan
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, markets
A great introduction to Technical Analysis (TA). It reads like a text book explaining everything there is to learn about TA. It provides all the nuts and bolts on which we can build upon. Everything that I learnt may not be useful but TA gives me a new angle to view the markets.
Keyhan
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple book that stated the fundamentals of Technical Trading.
Alrawi
Naratch Phaoharuhansa
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reader friendly language and easy to understand
Hou Boyu
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Initially I borrowed it from the library. After reading it, I decided to have a copy. Highly recommend.
George
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent, in depth overview of technical market analysis
Duja Kanjary
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Technical analysis of financial markets
Author: John Murphy
Mr13
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Basic Tactic and worth to study again and again
George Andrew
Jan 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Too subjective. Charts are open to various interpretations.
Elwirka
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finance
Good compendium of knowledge, still actual.
Vineeta Tyagi
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: investment
It reads like an academic textbook, but if you're serious about understanding the theory of technical analysis - charts, trends, indexes, oscillators, and even basics of money management - then this is an absolute must read.

Technical vs Fundamental analysis is a hotly debated subject, but technicians believe that trend already reflect the underlying factors and usually, no one can figure out all the reasons why something happened, and by the time they do, its impossible to ride the wave. So
Vinoth Kumar Kannan
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finance
Lot of technical analysis knowledge for both stock market & futures packed in. Very elaborate explanation about most concepts (well, more than required), but some important ones or at least concepts which I expected I would study about in depth, for ex., Bollinger Bands, RSI, Stochastic, etc. are really pretty brief.
Overall, yeah, you'll be more knowledgeable than when you started this book. Decent read and delivers its promise of exposing us to different technical tools - not all or modern
Ibrahim Sobhan
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets is a decent primer on technical analysis. Most can expect to learn the value of support/resistance lines, volume, and indicators. Some of the concepts and strategies are out of date (especially the section on indicators) but his discussion on support/resistance lines continues to be relevant and useful in the real markets. For someone just entering the markets and looking to learn technical analysis, this is a good place to start, even if it does get a ...more
Ahmed Tawfeek
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I finally had time to make for what is seen by many as the holy book of technical analysis. Although being decades old, the techniques discussed within are timeless. Whether you're trading stocks, futures or cryptocurrency, the human psychology that drives the markets is always the same. The book will arm you with a very wide arsenal of tools and indicators that you can use to buff up your trading instincts.
Stefan Bruun
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive but not convincing

The book goes very deep in many theories and seems to introduce most concepts. I am however not convinced about the merits. It seems to explain a lot after the fact, but there are arguments for more or less any development in the future, no matter where we stand today.
I'm missing more data to back up the validity of the claims. If these patterns are more right than wrong, it should be simple to pull some statistics on this.
Ryan
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you don't know anything about Technical Analysis, this is your book. It starts from level 0, like how was TA invented, what are the main philosophies, what is support, what is resistance, etc. it covers pretty much everything

I recommend renting/buying the book, because its a textbook once you have the knowledge you probably won't reread it.
Reon Perc
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good concise introduction to technical analysis. Teaches and explains the fundamentals well, however it becomes a bit vague towards the end (as a few of the later topics would require whole books to fully explain). All in all, it does well to introduce the reader to the basics as well as opening up further learning to the reader desires it. An extremely solid introduction book.
Manish Gupta
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellently written. An absolutely must read for anybody having any degree of interest in the financial markets. Seemingly complicated techniques and concepts are presented in a very clear and easy to understand method. The book is a shinning example of how to present concepts to the readers. Highly recommended.
Justin
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trading-books
This is the technical analysts bible. It has absolutely everything a technical trader needs. It is more of an academic book that you would study and refer to when needed rather than read cover to cover. However, I read it through and can say it is the best guide to technical analysis that I have ever read. This is one for your personal library trding library.
Mainak
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Intermediate traders who know the basics
Shelves: finance
This book is like an encyclopedia of technical analysis. Very thorough description of major theories, chart patterns, price action etc. Could be very useful for the traders. Could be used as a reference book later on for chart patterns.
« previous 1 3 next »
What is the simple meaning of Technology 1 1 Apr 17, 2019 12:52AM
Outlook Technical Support 1 4 Jul 07, 2016 12:32AM

• Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques: A Contemporary Guide to the Ancient Investment Techniques of the Far East
  • Trading in the Zone: Master the Market with Confidence, Discipline, and a Winning Attitude
  • How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad
  • Market Wizards
  • The New Market Wizards: Conversations with America's Top Traders
  • The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • Reminiscences of a Stock Operator
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Technical Analysis of Stock Trends
  • High Probability Trading: Take the Steps to Become a Successful Trader
  • Come Into My Trading Room: A Complete Guide to Trading
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • The New Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Risk Management, and Record-Keeping
  • Technical Analysis Explained: The Successful Investor's Guide to Spotting Investment Trends and Turning Points
  • Pit Bull: Lessons from Wall Street's Champion Day Trader
  • Hedge Fund Market Wizards

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
John J. Murphy is an American financial market analyst and is considered to be the Father of Inter-market Analysis. He received an award for outstanding contribution to global technical analysis by the International Federation of Technical Analysts.

News & Interviews

“As with all technical indicators, signals on weekly charts are always more important than those on daily charts. The best way to combine them is to use weekly signals to determine market direction and the daily signals to fine-tune entry and exit points.” 0 likes