Start by marking “Rick Mercer Report: The Book” as Want to Read:
Rick Mercer Report: The Book

Rick Mercer Report: The Book

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  663 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Ladies and gentlemen, girls and boys, prepare yourself for the next big thing in publishing – Rick Mercer Report: The Book.

After a decade-long absence from our book stores, Canada’s preeminent satirist returns with a new collection of rants, writings, and comic encounters with the great and good of politics, showbiz, and literature. (Yes, relive Pierre Berton offering advi
Published September 25th 2007 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Rick Mercer Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rick Mercer Report

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodLife of Pi by Yann Martel
Oh, Canada!
816 books — 335 voters
The Wishing Stone and Other Myths Learned on Gull Cliff Island by J.M. LavalleeTurtle Wish by Murielle CyrAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodCape Random by Bernice MorganAnne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Read Across Canada
294 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

Faiza Venzant
Got this book from a friend of a friend through a snail mail book swap. I would never have picked this up for myself so I am glad it came to me the way it did. Every Canadian needs to read this book!

Mercer had me laughing out loud on subway cars all over Toronto. One man stopped me to ask me what was so funny and I even read one of the chapters out loud to him between Sheppard Station and Eglinton! Both of us were laughing together before I had to get off the subway. I'll always remember that as
Catherine J.
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A good read, but definitely dated. I hear he's writing another book of rants that comes out this autumn, and I will definitely pick that up. That said, these are his rants up to 2008. And, I mean, if you can stand the fact that you know that important stuff happened after that, and it's not in here, it's a witty, interesting read. And really? Even if you *can't* stand that fact, you need to read it anyway. It's Canadian political humour at its best! What more could you want?
Teghan
Oct 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I would watch Rick Mercer read the phonebook. He's fabulous.

The premier voice in Canada when it comes to politics, Mercer has carved himself a spot in Canadian identity - he is an integral voice and a national treasure.

His collection of rants on a variety of topics is wonderful, albeit they are more enjoyable when watched rather than read, as they are meant to be received that way.
Brad Middleton
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Rick Mercer is a well-known Canadian comedian, political satirist and news junkie, having co-created and performed on "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" as well as the eponymous "The Rick Mercer Report."

One feature of both shows are his 3-4 minute one-camera rants against the Canadian government and parliamentary system. "Rick Mercer Report: The Book" contains a selection of these rants, as well as excerpts from his interviews with politicians. Short comments are also included to tie it all together.

Rec
jerry
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who enjoys Canadian politics and humor
I love Rick Mercer. Through Rick, I learned about Canadian politics, the players, the serious issues, the absurdity. Rick is the sharpest political wit in Canada and his "rants" are famous. This book includes a number of them, as well as a slice of his blogging and other writings, all loosely organized by broad topics. If you like political humor combined with sharp insight, Rick's the man for you too!
Pontiki
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love this book. Rick is a brilliant satirist, and even though the book is no longer current, the themes about politics, parties, and ludicrous goings on are all still relevant. If only Canada could have a boring old honest, ethical leader, with educated, capable people in his/her party. The down side would be Rick being put out of a job, probably not worth the sacrifice.
Kaitie
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
loved this book!! It was funny, and insightful. I really felt like I was sitting across from him while he was talking to me about all fo this, instead of reading a book. Well written, and well put together.
Julia
May 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: o-canada, politics
Rick Mercer's rants uncover the hypocrisy, spin, and politicians' weird and delusional behaviour with uncanny accuracy. Oh, and they're very funny too!

I wish more interviews had been included as the few included were even funnier than the rants.
Peter Dyer
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the funniest books I have read in a long time. It helps to follow some politics to get some of the jokes.
Louise
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Laugh out loud funny. The guy has the coolest outlook on politics in Canada. So very funny. ADD boy and bipolar man....and Harper being creeped out by people......oh Mercer, how you make me laugh.
Emily
Dec 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
if you are a fan of rick mercer rants, this book is for you. his ability to point out the ridiculousness of canadian politics makes you at once happy to be canadian and hungry for change.
Garet
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Newfoundland comedian Rick Mercer first popularized his short, pithy "rants" on the idiocies of Canadian politics on the ensemble show This Hour Has 22 Minutes and made them the centrepiece of his own half-hour news parody, The Rick Mercer Report. This book gathers together some of his most incisive rants from RMR, along with a sprinkling of camera stills and transcribed dialogue of memorable moments with the Canadian "celebrities" brave enough to accept the invitation to appear on his show.

The
Intoxicatedcake
Sep 25, 2016 rated it liked it
It's alright. Kind of fun to pick at, but not something to get immersed in.
Lana.
"Canada is weird. Why would the government allow that?" My university friend's words have been in my head for a long time now. Her bafflement was directed at the strange government policy to allow (and support through corporations like CBC) satire and undermining of the government itself. My answer at the time was, “It's because Canadians want it”.

Year later, Rick Mercer is still in the business of doing just that – poking fun at other strange government policies – but also doing something else
John Hanson
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-hardcovers
Only about half of the 242 pages are numbered. In one stretch, ten pages in a row had no numbers. Any book that makes you do math to discover which page you are on deserves to lose a star.

Rick's satire is clean and acerbic. He's a tidy, almost formulaic writer. Yes, much is funny, but after about halfway through, I felt I was reading the same joke over and over again. I never thought I'd get tired of hearing how dumb and misaligned to the job our politicians are, but I did.

Timeliness had to play
Jessica-Robyn
Oct 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I grew up watching Rick Mercer, he is one of my all time heroes, and I know that anything he does I will enjoy so this was a no brainier.

For anyone outside of Canada, Rick Mercer hosts a CBC comedy show called the Rick Mercer Report (RMR) where he jokes about the current state of Canadian politics through skits and one-liners while anchoring the show with travel segments where he goes coast to coast meeting interesting Canadians and experiencing new things. However, one of his most important se
Lisa
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2015
I picked this up at the thrift shop after an awful day and thought "I might as well laugh." And I did. I laughed a bunch at the snide sarcastic remarks written by Rick about the state of the Canadian government from as early as 2004 -2007. Sure, I may not know who everyone was because I was still young at the time to get into politics but the fact is is that so many of these people are still present in the Canadian government today. I felt like I had a better understanding of the political parti ...more
Harvey
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
- selected 'Rants' from the first four seasons of C.B.C.'s "Rick Mercer Report"
- a good deal of the rants are on political in-fighting and either go right over my head...or I'm just not interested
- he has a razor-sharp wit, and is so concise when making his point
- I honestly believe that a great many politicians are afraid of him and that they grant him unbelievable access out of this fear (...better the devil you know...)
- I honestly laughed out loud a few times
Tam
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
OK - so I need to qualify this entry because the references in this book won't have the same effect if you aren't familiar w/ the political and cultural workings of Canada. It's hilarious - I laugh myself silly reading this and I read it aloud to my family because it's so freakin' funny. Now I can't give it 5 stars because I'm a Booker Prize snob at heart but I think it's a good read for pure entertainment.
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love watching the Rick Mercer Reports on YouTube (I don't have cable or satellite service but my understanding is that they air on CBC news a lot). So, I bought this book. It's hilarious and doesn't stoop to low level crude humor or offensive jokes to be comedic. It's a book about Canada and focuses on the country from a comedic and satirical point of view; it's got everything from rants to one-liner jokes to politics. Excellent book, definitely worth checking out!
Rachelle
Bought this to have it signed by Rick a few weeks ago, without realizing the book is about five years old. Oh well. Have never been a big follower of politics in my life, so is it bad that I learned a bit from him? LOL When I watch the show, same thing. My favorite part of the book is toward the end when he's discussing his experiences in Afghanistan. I imagine his newer hard cover is more along those lines of personal stories, etc. so I may pick that one up at some point.
Jana
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rick Mercer always represents comedy to me, but this book showed and often unseen sensitive side. I expected my favourite part to be something funny or cynical, but it ended up being what he wrote about our armed forces in Afghanistan. It was surprisingly moving and made me swell with pride to be Canadian. Just one more reason to call Rick a National Treasure!
Feb 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Very entertaining read! Rick Mercer's humour surrounding Canadian politics makes for a "laugh out loud" book. It can be confusing as the book is compiled by topics and not chronologically; this makes for a better read, but can be confusing as the timespan includes multiple elections and Liberal party leaders.
Stephi
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
I would have like more stories or him talking about the stuff he's done and being rick mercer. I think he's awesome so the fact this book was a lot of rants was disappointing. if I wanted to hear ten year old rants I would YouTube them instead where I can hear his voice an emotion and see his face.
Jenny
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: News junkies
A love letter, really, to Canada and its risible politics. I share Mercer's enjoyment of Canadian politics as theatre, so I enjoyed reading his short essays, which are all astute even if the fact that they were written for television makes them sound more than a bit pat on the page.
Ray
What is there to say about Rick Mercer? He is definitely a funny and engaging Canadian who knows no boundries. He proved that when he went skinny-dipping with Bob Rae. Keep doing what you do best Rick and we will always enjoy and look forward to our Tuesday nights!
Josh McConnell
Jul 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: hilarious, politics
Despite only being a collection of Rick Mercer's rants from his TV show, the rants are so darn good that they are worth revisiting. Mercer is very witty and clever when he writes, making you laugh out loud while reading along. Enjoyed it.
Meena Al-Obaydi
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love the Rick Mercer Report so I was very excited to read this even though it contained rants from 2004 all the way to 2007. I wasn't very familiar with most of the stuff I read, but I still enjoyed the book with all the satire in it! :)
Nancy
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This is not a book I could read cover to cover, as it in made up of rants that have aired on his show. Its also a little outdated as its from 2007- But it is a good pick up when you have a moment kind of book. I love his humour, so if you like Rick Mercer you'll like his book.
Mark Victor Young
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really funny stuff. Much of it a repeat of previously aired "Rants," but I didn't mind experiencing them again. Does anyone care more about Canadian politics than Rick Mercer? He makes me want to care.
  • How to Be a Canadian
  • Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Night and Insights
  • America, But Better: The Canada Party Manifesto
  • The Best of Down Goes Brown: Greatest Hits and Brand New Classics-To-Be from Hockey's Most Hilarious Blog
  • Stats Canada: Satire On A National Scale
  • You Are Here: Around the World in 92 Minutes
  • Prisoners of the North
  • Shift Work
  • My Years As Prime Minister
  • More Money Than Brains: Why Schools Suck, College is Crap, and Idiots Think They're Right
  • Call Me Russell
  • Let's Start A Riot: How A Young Drunk Punk became A Hollywood Dad
  • All the Way
  • The High Road
  • F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare
  • They Fight Like Soldiers, They Die Like Children: The Global Quest to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
  • Crazy Town: The Rob Ford Story
  • The Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes
Whatever's making headlines in this country [Canada]; you can be sure Rick Mercer has something to say about it.

So, where did Rick get his start? Born and raised on The Rock - St. John's, Newfoundland, Rick grew up with a love of performing. As a teenager, he co-founded a comedy troupe called 'Corey and Wade's Playhouse.' And a couple of years later, dropped out of high school to join a clown trou
More about Rick Mercer...