Start by marking “Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)” as Want to Read:
Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)

Doctor Sleep

(The Shining #2)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  188,192 ratings  ·  19,007 reviews
Grca badge winner
Following a childhood haunted by terrifying events at the Overlook Hotel, Danny Torrance has been drifting for decades.

Finally, he settles into a job at a nursing home where he draws on his remnant 'shining' power to help people pass on.

Then he meets Abra Stone, a young girl with the brightest 'shining' ever seen. But her gift is attracting a tribe of paranormals. They may
Published November 6th 2015 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published September 24th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Sleep, please sign up.
Xepherus3 Please do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And af…morePlease do not use the Shining movie as your reference to the story of the Torrances. The movie took extreme liberties with King's printed word. And after reading the book, I was disappointed with the film. Dick Hallorann is alive and well at the end of the Shining novel, and is a great part of Doctor Sleep. Kubrick's film is great on it's own, but the book crushes that screenplay into dust.(less)
Danielle Yes, but you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not reading The Shining first because it is just so good.

·  188,192 ratings  ·  19,007 reviews

Start your review of Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2)
Greg
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Disclosure: I used to work at Stephen King's publisher and read Doctor Sleep in December 2012.)

Get ready. If I can make just one recommendation: whether you're a longtime King fan or fairly new to his stuff, it wouldn't be the worst thing to read The Shining before you get your hands on Doctor Sleep. Seasoned fans know that the movie, while engrossing in its own right, is very different in many ways, and doesn't even begin to plumb the psychological depths that the book does. You could read an
Will Byrnes
There is a boy (now a man) a girl, a band of baddies with a charismatic leader, a coalition of the willing, battles to be fought, supernatural elements and magical powers. Stephen King was at this long before Harry Potter lived under the stairs. He has a preternatural (not to say supernatural) talent for writing kids, and can keep you turning pages, losing sleep, and getting back late to work from your lunch breaks.

description
from King’s site

We will presume for the purposes of this review that you have r
Kat
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
should’ve left this one in the drafts, mr. king

1/12
Dave
Nov 13, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dan: Hi, I was a total scumbag, meaning I once swiped a few bucks, a horrible horrible thing for which I'll never forgive myself, and, oh yeah, almost forgot, I used to get in bar fights all the time and I for all I know, I killed people during a blackout. Anyhoo, nowadays I'm heroic. Seriously, I'm pretty much a saint. I have magic powers and it never even crosses my mind to profit from them.

Abra: Hi, I'm a totally normal teen, you can tell because of all my pop references! Game of Thrones! Fru
Tiya Rosa
A sequel, huh? I didn't feel much for Danny when I was going through The Shining since Jack Torrance pretty much had me by the balls, but I guess - this being a Stephen King book - I can give it a try.

Oh, who am I kidding?

description
Kemper
Remember that psychic little kid in The Shining? Have you ever wondered what he’d be like as an adult after surviving a haunted hotel that drove his drunken father crazy and gave him a case of the redrums? If so, you’re in luck because Stephen King has now told us what happened to Danny Torrance, and he’s just as screwed up from his experience as you’d expect him to be.

Like his father, Dan has grown up to be a bad tempered drunk, and he uses the booze to blot out his psychic powers as he drifts
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Reread with For Love Of A Book with pretty badge.

I said I wanted this to be a movie after I read it... now the movie is coming out! I hope it’s good!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

THIS BOOK IS FREAKING AWESOME!

I love this is a sequel to The Shining and in the beginning of the book it goes into some things from when Danny was young.

Even though Danny, his mom and Dick Halloram survived from the tragic and (scary-as-hell) events that happened at the Overlook Hotel, some of the ghosties co
megs_bookrack
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this story even more the second time!

I firmly believe this is the best duology ever penned.

I doff my cap to Sai King.

He is a MASTER.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SEVEN THINGS FLASHING IN MY MIND when somebody asks me “ did you watch Shining?”
One : The car moves along the road and we see the humongous mountains and Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind’s eerie composition starts to play on the images as we whirl around the mountains…

TWO: Grady Twins’ spooky images as we see them stand up holding hands near open door! They say in unison: “Come, play with us Danny!” (This year I told my husband their clothes could be best pair for our Halloween costumes. And he bl
Lyn
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good Stephen King book.

I went to see a concert last year featuring Joan Jett, Cheap Trick and Heart. Promoters called it the Hall of Fame tour because all three bands were in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It was a great show, we had a blast. I got the impression that any of these talented professionals could put on a great show in their sleep. They’ve been doing it so long that they knew their craft as well as how to win over a crowd.

Stephen King is also a wily old master craftsman who
Dan Schwent
Aug 14, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Annemarie
Actual rating: 4.50 🌟

This was a great book that was much more than a simple sequel. It's a book with its own story and doesn't just depend on the fame of The Shining. Of course there are references, and reading the first book before this one will help you understand the content much better, but it's clear that this book wasn't just written for the sole purpose of making more money and drawing out a story to an unnecessary length (like I have seen done before)- I would love to read more sequels
Delee
I hesitated to read DOCTOR SLEEP for about a minute. I was worried that it wouldn't live up to The Shining, and everything would be ruined. RUINED!

photo 29b07314-4401-4a70-bc94-0c1a75fe7104_zps6c5aafda.jpg

Luckily that was not the case at all. I should have had more faith in Stephen King's love and respect for these characters. I am sorry for ever doubting you Stephen.

photo d5d105f4-017f-42ee-9eb7-5cc0830df130_zpsac9826ba.jpg

A tribe of people called The True Knot travel around the United States- by RV- in search of children with "The Shining". These children have what The True Knot feeds off, something they c
Johann (jobis89)
“There came a time when you realised that moving on was pointless. That you took yourself with you wherever you went.”

A worthy sequel to The Shining, Doctor Sleep revisits Danny Torrance as an adult, where he has unfortunately inherited his father’s alcoholism, but also retains his ability to “shine”. He encounters a young girl named Abra, who needs his help to fight the vampiric cult, the True Knot.

There’s so much I love about this book that I almost don’t know where to begin! The book opens st
Larry
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Check out our booktube review @ paperbackdreams...
D. Hilliard
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a big fan of Stephen King, especially his early work, I waited with nervous anticipation for Dr. Sleep. I reread The Shining for the first time in years, just to reacquaint myself with the world of Danny Torrance and the Overlook Hotel. It was on my kindle within minutes of it being released, and I spent the past two afternoons ignoring housework in favor of diving into one of Kings rare sequels.

So how does it measure up?

The correct answer to that is “it depends.”

If you are looking for a d
Andrea ❤Ninja Bunneh❤
Once upon a time, there was a girl. She liked to read, but was at a crossroads between being too old for childish books, and a bit too young for cheesy romance novels with Fabio on the cover. The girl loved scary movies and all things horror and wondered if maybe there were things written like that. She asked the librarian, who handed her a book. The girl ran home and closed herself up in her room. She sat down and started to read a book called Carrie, by an author named Stephen King. She devour ...more
B
That cover is the epitome of perfection.

So perfect that is should be on my shelves.

Like, right now.

I'm waiting.

*stares at bookshelves*

EDIT: I'M GETTING AN ARC OF THIS MY LIFE IS OFFICIALLY MADE
Peter
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing piece of fiction. The book set me directly back in the 80s when I first read Shining. This truely is part 2 of the story. If you want to know the further history of Dan Torrence or come back to the eerie Overlook Hotel this is your read. I think one of the best King books. The feeling is there body and soul of his former writing. Really you can't put that away. If there are follow ups to Misery, Pet Semetary or IT, I'll read them all. True recommendation, Scary horror. He could do a b ...more
Matt
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Stephen King’s title of ‘great storyteller’ is firmly strengthened with this full-length novel, which reprises some of the key roles from The Shining. Picking up briefly after THE SHINING’s completion, Danny Torrance and his mom have moved on, away from the horrors of Colorado. Learning to control his ‘shines’ proves to be quite difficult for Danny, but becomes essential in order to survive. Fast-forwarding to the present day, Dan Torrance’s life has begun to circle the drain as he has become a ...more
Barbara

In this the sequel to 'The Shining', Danny Torrance - who had psychic visions as a child -is a very troubled adult.

*****

As the story opens Dan Torrance (Danny Torrance from "The Shining") has grown up to be a violent, itinerant alcoholic who suffers from blackouts.

His difficulties connect back to the time Danny was a young child, and his father was the caretaker of the 'Overlook Hotel' in Colorado.

There Danny's psychic gift (called 'the shining') led to his meeting a gaggle of supernatural psy
Anca-Daniela Spataru
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Just seen the movie , was delicious . 5 stars instead of 4 , I was too judgemental
Anish Kohli
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm… Lemme ask you this...

Have you read SK? Have you, really? Have you lost yourself in his thoughts and characters and their problems? Have you FELT his stories take over you? If you have, as I have, then you know this review will say nothing you don’t already know.

If you haven’t….. Wait, what? How can you not read SK? Do you not know what you are missing out on?
Yeah, you probably don’t. OK, well then, listen up close as I explain with an analogy.

Think of a joke that you have heard many times
Becky
OMG THIS IS MY 2013 BIRTHDAY PRESENT! :D I LOVE YOU, STEPHEN KING!

-------

After Goodreads decided to unveil their new censorship policy regarding author behavior reviews and shelves (sorry, let me be accurate: NEGATIVE author behavior reviews and shelves...), I decided that I wasn't going to review on Goodreads anymore. I created a Booklikes account (Meh...) and already have a blog, and I decided that I would review there instead of on Goodreads.

But then this past week happened. Stephen King rel
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

4.5 Stars

Have you ever caught yourself, maybe while reading a Stephen King book or maybe just at some random moment, wondering whatever happened to little Danny Torrance?

Lucky for all of us Stephen King did too. Doctor Sleep picks up where The Shining left off. It briefly covers the aftermath of the experiences at the Overlook Hotel before fast-forwarding in increments of presidential terms through Dan’s life.

If you have been a re
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
I wanted to love this book and I read it with eager enthusiasm. However, I found that the voice of this book, Danny Torrance, was all wrong. This didn't feel like Danny to me. I was scared in some parts--the enemies are formidable--but the story was not engaging. I was expecting more.
Fortneyroad.com
Aug 17, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Alejandro
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, novel, paranormal
The Shining is back, baby!

THE OVERLOOK HOTEL'S AFTERMATH

The Shining became a cult classic horror book, due its impact as novel itself as well the film adaptation by iconic director Stanley Kubrik, and after sooooo many years, one could think that that was that, specially since Stephen King didn't do much sequels of his works, but...

...the Shining is back baby!

However, I did appreciate that it wasn't the cliché sequel where everything happens again, to the characters of the first entry or
Neal Shusterman
The Shining was my favorite Stephen King book when I was a teenager. I listened to the audio version of Doctor Sleep, and really enjoyed it, but somehow it didn’t live up to the Shining. Granted, our memory of books from our youths is an extremely hard act to follow. I would have given Doctor Sleep four stars, but I felt that the climax was too easy. Stephen King is a master storyteller, so I don’t cut him any slack when it comes to the conclusion!
Dystopian

• The Whisper Man

The Shining (2 books)
  • The Shining

Articles featuring this book

Say what you will about George R.R. Martin's long-awaited fantasy installment, Winds of Winter. Some of the sequels in our roundup below have t...
“FEAR stands for fuck everything and run.” 1015 likes
“There came a time when you realized that moving on was pointless. That you took yourself with you wherever you went.” 285 likes