Start by marking “Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears” as Want to Read:
Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears

Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears

(Detective Docherty #1)

It was called The Great Awakening, when humans around the world awoke to a new reality. In their homes, on their lawns, and in the streets, fairies, trolls, and shapeshifters began to roam. Exposed to mankind, they had a choice: assimilate into human culture or be destroyed by it.

They live among us now, renting apartments, laboring in the work force, and paying taxes. Wo
Published August 20th 2012 by Sarah Faver

To ask other readers questions about Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears

Start your review of Detective Docherty and the Demon's Tears
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided by author in exchange for an honest review*
This was my first read by Sarah and I can't help but feel horrible for not getting to it sooner. I fell in love with the characters almost at first sight and I'm having major withdrawals just thinking about them. This is a paranormal book about other kin and humans living together on Earth, without secrecy. There's still bad blood between some but we get to see a different take on the paranormal and I enjoyed every second of it. We see ho
Aniket
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

INTRODUCTION AND PLOT

Imagine waking up one day to find fairies in your backyard and giants on the street. Remember the creatures from fairy tales and folklore you read about when you were a kid but then you grew up and stopped believing in them? Yeah, turns out they were real--and you can see them. You see elves, centaurs, gremlins, goblins, and pixies. Apart from that, you discover that magick (yes, it has a k. I'll explain why in a minute) is real too. Witches exist and so do Wizards and S

Mike Wrona
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't read a whole lot of books, but this one really hit home for me. I found that I got really attached to the characters and was genuinely concerned about what was going to happen tho them! Interesting plot line with several twists I garuntee you wont see coming. A hard book to put down, can't wait for the second one!
Mike-
Lucas
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Detective Docherty is an absorbing read about a slice of life in a world where fantasy meets the mundane. With its memorable characters, odd mysteries, and fantastical creatures, it is an enjoyable read that paints a vibrant world to explore. Definately worth a read.
Tyler
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In her debut as an author, Sarah WaterRaven tells the story of a quirky, but insightful detective and his brooding, but loyal assistant. After they meet with the detective's long lost niece, they take on one of the most difficult case of the detective's career yet. Will they get to the bottom of the strange occurrences at their client's house? Will the Detective's niece be able to break through her uncle's assistant's icy persona? Where did all these unusual creatures come from anyway? Find the ...more
Renee
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Sarah WaterRaven's debut novel, a magical world beyond one's wildest imagination unfolds. The story is bold; it is no fantasy world opened up by the possibilities of the unknown future. Instead, it is today's Toronto that serves as the background for vampire, fee, and humans alike as cultures are explored, mysteries unraveled, and friendships tested in a place that seems so much like home - for many people, it is - and yet is a revelation in thought and possibility. It is not simply an aftern ...more
Coco.V
Nov 21, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (11/21/2019)! 🎁
Mackenzie
I met Sarah at a writer's group that I joined when I moved. She was discussing abusive relationships in books with someone else at the table. Naturally, being the person that I am, I inserted myself into the conversation. We got to talking and I mentioned I run a book review blog. She mentioned she's written some books. It was a match made in heaven.

When Sarah gave me her first book to read, she told me to be honest with the review. I told her I would be, even if it meant she didn't like me any
Kit Daven
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah WaterRaven has created a truly wonderful storyverse in this paranormal murder mystery, set in Toronto and in a world that has awakened to the presence of Otherkin—fairies, trolls, vampires, even demons and angels and ghosts. The killer could truly be anyone, human or Otherkin.

Loved meeting the main characters, Ares and Alexandria. Their perspectives on Detective Docherty made him seem distant and mysterious at times, yet in moments of interaction with him, provided insights and depth to hi
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detective Dochtery and The Demons Tears is a beautiful book, full of fantastic creatures and lovable characters. Once you open it, prepare to go to a magical world that will capture your heart. Sarah Waterraven is an amazing author and brilliant with her words. I can't wait to read the second book!
Ann Daniel
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant story

I loved this book it's brilliantly written and the characters are really good. The story it's self is very different from any books I've read so far and I read a lot usually around 6 books a week so it was wonderful to actually read something so different. Basically it's about a human detective who works with a vampire and witch and they go round solving problems brought on by the waking basically all humans can now see anything supernatural such as fairies elves ect and they sol
Mel
Mar 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Enjoyable

I have enjoyed the first book of this series.
A good plot with some twists and turns. I liked the characters but would have loved more detailed description and information of the city were it all took place, bit more history maybe.
On some parts it was very slow and sometimes dragged, because nothing exciting happened. And at the end she could have called him Dad and not Detective. I also found it quite sad what for memory
Not sure if I get the second book.
Lesley Hewitt
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cracking good read

Well worth five stars , I really enjoyed reading this book. All the different supernatural creatures and the slightly dotty detective. Murder and a touch of mayhem with a little bit of romance thrown in. I couldn't put this book down until I'd finished reading it.
Guy Worthey
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first third read like a first novel; wordy and clunky. But the momentum picked up, and the characters kept getting fleshed out deeper and deeper.

I think the vampire is a whiny brat and I was rooting for the sexy elf to teach him to GET OVER HIMSELF, but Alex and Detective Docherty were very human and charming. The plot had nice momentum.
Dallass
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Quirky and fun, but needs work

I won’t say that I didn’t enjoy this, because I did. Yet the pacing was a bit off, and it dragged in places and waffled about in others. However, the plot, characters and the world building were interesting so I guess I’ll be picking up book two to find out what happens with Alex, Ares and the Detective.

3 stars ⭐️
Kerry Sharp
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well crafted

The characters are deeply drawn and power the story. They are dimensioned, we know them and care for them. Though not fast the story keeps us engaged. The story's universe is creative but respectful to the lexicon.
I may well but another in the series.
Liz Zanzig
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
3 1/2 stars
Rebecca
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Would read again.

Difficult to follow at first, but does pick up. wonderful world and likeable characters. Ready for the next one. 🥰
Christine Hayes
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
was good
Marisa
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I felt the story was a bit longwinded and because of it i felt like i was never going to finish the story. Can't say that i would read the next story
Saundra Wright
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great story, intricate characters!

Visit Toronto and meet Detective Docherty. Get involved in his case along with his niece who meets him for the first time. Along with his assistant Ares, a vampire, the detective works exclusively on cases involving fairies and otherkin. Jump into this world and stay for a while!
Catherine Fitzsimmons
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun little diversion.
Cameron Currie
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just enough mystery with each of the characters that I'll need to read the next one. Sarah WaterRaven has shown us that she doesn't write checks she can't cash. This was described to me as Young Adult Fantasy, but readers of any age should enjoy it.
Matt Buzard
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read!
Neo Baverman
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I don’t tend to read many mystery/fantasy hybrids, I won’t hesitate to say that I found myself pleasantly surprised when reading Detective Docherty and the Demon’s Tears. Easily meeting and going beyond my expectations for the pilot book of a series, I was compelled by the complex and wonderfully forged setting, well developed characters, and fascinating subplots. One concept I found particularly interesting was that of the Great Awakening. Not many novels attempt to work the fantastical ...more
KelMarie
Jez
rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Vampire Bewitched (Deathless Night #1)
  • Witch's Bell 1 (Witch's Bell #1)
  • Sins of the Angels (Grigori Legacy, #1)
  • Diva Delaney Mysteries: Bundle 2: Books 4 - 6
  • Witch You Wouldn't Believe (A Lemon Tea Cozy Mystery #1)
  • The Girl Who Sees (Sasha Urban, #1)
  • Spells & Ashes (The Dark Files Book 1)
  • Dead of Night (Thorne Hill, #1)
  • Dark Hunt (Shadow and Light, #1)
  • Blood and Snow (Blood and Snow #1)
  • Dark Descent (The Arondight Codex #1)
  • Secrets, Spells & Murder (Little Shop of Spells, #1)
  • Magic of the Gargoyles (Gargoyle Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Transfusion (Transfusion Saga #1)
  • Bound By Blood (Rogues Of Magic, #1)
  • The Secrets of Mystic Springs (Mystic Springs, #2)
  • Family Ghouls (A Greek Ghouls Mystery #1)
  • Skin and Bones (The Ever Chace Chronicles, #1)
Author of the Detective Docherty series and publisher of the fantastic and miscellaneous, Sarah WaterRaven kills people and then distracts you with pixies.

Detective Docherty (3 books)
  • Detective Docherty and the Vampire's Mirror