Start by marking “Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea” as Want to Read:

Come on! Be brave!
Just follow me!
And let's explore
the deep blue sea!
Published May 1st 2004 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea

Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Plays on the Brown Bear, Brown Bear style of repetitive lines that change by one sea creature/sea element for each page. With a fun twist at the end. Illustrations are lovely.
Stacey Scanlon
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I also read Jan Peck's book Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea to my reception class while on placement. The book tells the story of a little boy who swims under the sea and meets different sea creatures. It has a regular rhyming pattern throughout the book, a perfect book to read aloud to a class. I feel that this book was perfect for reception and maybe even a younger age group. It would open the children's eyes to the world around them. I liked the end of the story when we realise that the ch ...more
The Library Lady
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I spotted this at a store at the beach and immediately saved the title to buy it. I'm not sure how I missed it in the first place.
Bold bright art by the same artist who did a favorite of mine, Plumply, Dumply, Pumpkin and a "over in the meadow" sort of narrative that really works. And has a smooth cadence that will work well for read aloud. A nice package, one I plan to use next time I do an "ocean" themed story time. Or, because of the ending, perhaps a "bath time" theme.
Pam
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A little boy dives deep in the sea and sees all sorts of sea life. He finds a treasure chest and brings back some treasure. At the end of the story, the readers discover he is in the bathtub using his imagination. The illustrations are vivid and detailed.
Kelly
Jul 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-aloud
Used as part of a water storytime. Young boy comes across many creatures in the deep blue sea. Cute surprise at the end.
Shelley
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read with I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean! and My Octopus Arms
Jc
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is amazing at how imaginative some kids can be ... even in the bathtub.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Great for an ocean storytime!
June
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young marine animal and ocean requests
Will try to remember this next summer for my bathtime or ocean story time. Liked the ending and introduction of marine creatures.
Lauren
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: skylar
was a good book, did not really hold my 1 year olds attention however!! Was a cute book though!!
Camille
This is a non-story book that narrates a boy snorkeling and coming across different sea animals. Turns out that he's in the bathtub, but, OH! What an imagination!
Anyway, I put this on my Interactive Books shelf because I would use the prose as a call-and-response book reading. For example:
Reader: "Way down deep..."
Audience: "Way down deep..."
Reader: "...in the deep blue sea,"
Audience: "...in the deep blue sea,"
Reader: "I spy a sea horse..."
Audience: "I spy a sea horse..."
Reader: "...racing by me
Elle Markov
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
When you were little bath time was the best, well, as long as you got to bring toys in. With the right toys you could be anything you wanted; a pirate, a mermaid, a scuba-dive; with your toys and imagination it could be so much fun.

Well, it’s bath time for out little protagonist and he’s decide to go explore the deep blue sea and see what creatures he can find.

A perfect read for the little ones, right before bed.

Rating 4 out of 5
Read@Book
Peanut
Jun 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
MOMMY: 4.5 for this book. Yen Yen picked it up at the aquarium and it was an immediate hit. The rhyme and repetition make this book interactive as Peanut was volunteering the next line by the second time we read it (3 yrs old). This is a cute story about all the things this little boy finds while he's diving in the deep blue sea looking for treasure. Cute little twist of imagination at the end. Bright illustrations without being overwhelming.

PEANUT: He loves the rhyme and occasionally chooses to
Eileen
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book tells the story of a little boy who swims under the sea and meets different sea creatures. It has a regular rhyming pattern throughout the book, a perfect book to read aloud to a class. I feel that this book would be suitable for reception or younger. It would open the children's eyes to the world around them. I liked the end of the story when we realise that the child was only "swimming" in his own bath tub. I believe that a lot of children will be able to think of a time which they w ...more
Lindsay
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was a hit at an ocean-themed bilingual story time program I did in June. I loved the use of bright color in the illustrations, and the pictures are also big which helps when reading to a group. I used this book (and the other stories I read during the program) to build the children's ocean animal vocabulary. I'd pause to ask them what animal was featured on the page before reading the text.
Dolores Colarosa
A really cute read-aloud about all of the "treasures" a boy finds in the ocean, with bold, bright illustrations and plenty of opportunities to identify some common ocean-life such as octopus, starfish and a whale and not-so-common to young ones...a swordfish. Used this in toddler storytime and actually sang the book to the tune of "Fiddle-I-Fee." A great read-aloud!
Logan Gatchel
Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea was a great children's book! It is about a little boy who explores the "ocean" to find treasure for his mama and himself! He sees many sea creatures before finally discovering the treasure! He is so excited to show his mama the treasure he discovered! We find out on the last page of the story that the little boy was in his bathtub all along!
Sarah Adamson
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, basic rhyming (mostly!) about a boy exploring the ocean. Very few words with lots of repition for early readers. Also super fun surprise ending that it's actually a tale about a boy using his imagination whilst in his bath playing with his sea creature toys. My 5 year old loved it!!
Sarah Best
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is about a young boy who pretends to find treasures and animals while taking a bubble bath. The story shows the bottom of the sea and shows each animal that he finds. Repetition of words is used throughout this story, where children can sing along. This story would be good for children learning about ocean animals and connecting a science lesson.
Nadia
Apr 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great story about a little boy who dives under the ocean and meets many of the creatures living there, including a great treasure. It's not until the end when we find out he was really under the water in a bathtub and had found a coin. A great story to help children see the imaginative side of everyday things.
Lalalee
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this book. It has great rhythm. When I read it in a preschool or child care setting I will often pass out the different sea creatures for the children to hold up when we come to their part. The book works for dialogic reading. Also point out to the children that the sea creatures go from small to large and then backwards from large to small.
Michelle
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Luke just loves this book! We have had to renew it at the library twice. I think we might buy this one. The author has other cute ones too, but our little library in our little town doesn't have the others....
Alamoliz
Jun 18, 2008 rated it liked it
A little boy imagines snorkeling beneath the deep blue sea and seeing all sorts of sea creatures. At last he sees mama waiting with a towel, by the bathtub, where the boy and his bath toys have had a fun adventure.
Megan
Aug 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
A child meets a sea horse, crab, starfish, turtle, octopus, dolphin, swordfish, whale, and shark as he looks for treasure in the ocean. Repetition would make this a good choice for preschool or kindergarten read alouds.
Alina
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colorful and lovely illustrations. Book can be read to a beat. Need to make inferences from illustrations to understand ending (four year old daughter and I had conversation about that). "I like this book because it has coins in the bathtub." -Alina
Frank
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Totally cute, fun book.
Kate
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Miracle of miracles, the rhyme actually scans. AND the pictures and story are cute.

OUR POST-RACIAL WORLD: the two human characters are white
Paula
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A child explores the treasures of the deep blue sea from the safety of a bathtub.
Michelle Buckley
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is one of the few books that keeps all 14 two year olds in my class sitting still through the whole book!
Cstasa
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such a great kid's book. Imagination!!!

• The Three Little Fish And The Big Bad Shark
  • The Croaky Pokey!
  • Down by the Cool of the Pool
  • Swim! Swim!
  • Smiley Shark
  • I'm the Best Artist in the Ocean!
  • Little White Duck
  • Five Little Chicks
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • The Wolf's Chicken Stew
  • Sitting in My Box
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Kitty's Cuddles