Start by marking “Love's Debt” as Want to Read:
Love's Debt

Love's Debt

To keep herself from the depths of poverty, Milly Shepherd needs to be appointed manager of the Red Lion Tavern. The elderly owner is in failing health and has promised her the job permanently if no one more suitable applies. Milly will fight with her entire being to make the job her own.

Joseph Jacobs needs to supplement his income to pay off his father's creditors and sa
Published September 3rd 2012 by The Wild Rose Press (first published September 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Love's Debt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Debt

Start your review of Love's Debt
Carin
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Milly Shepherd has know poverty, she has worked hard to bring herself and her mother and sister out of the depths of the slums to where she now has a good job and the money to take care of her family.

Joseph Jacobs was raised with wealth until his fathers gambling first drove his mother away and now his father has creditors after him while Joseph works two jobs to try to keep him out of prison.

The sparks between Milly and Joseph are immediate and they build quickly, Joesph is a good honorable man
Maria
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour in exchange for an honest and fair review on my blog. You can read the full post here: http://queenofthenightreviews.blogspo...

What would you be willing to do for the man you loved? In Rachel Brimble's Love's Debt, that is the question the heroine must ask herself - can she let go of the worry and hardships she has endured in order to share some of the money she's been able to save towards her future in order to help the man s
Jody
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Love's Debt is a sweet historical featuring two people drawn together in their desperation to make ends meet and make something of their futures. Considering the shortness of this story, the main characters are surprisingly well fleshed-out and though they come from different societal spheres they're perfect for each other.

Milly is a strong woman who wants the best for her family and has gone where no woman has gone before and become manager of a pub. When she first sees the sexy and formidable
Ruth Hill
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
This is a nice short and sweet historical romance, and it's a nice way to spend a cozy, fall evening. The characters, story, and setting are sweet, and I loved almost everything about ths book. I could have done without the brief profanity and sex scene, but thankfully both were short! I love strong women, and Milly is definitely that. And Joseph is the typical Victorian gentleman who is down on his luck. Although the story was short and developed faster than I might have liked, it was nice. I w ...more
Lisa
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was an enjoyable short story of some 91 pages, with some likeable and warm, well written characters. I took an instant like to Milly, who was a strong hardworking young woman.

Being a short story I wondered if it might be a little predictable as some short stories are when trying to cram a detailed storyline into a few pages. I couldn't have been more wrong as the story took me to an ending I was not expecting.

This book had several scenes to it, including the pub, the docks, Milly's home and
Lynelle Clark
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Two main characters is thrown together when they compete for the same position. Milly the young woman out to prove her self in the late 1800 standing on her own feet and providing for her family wanted the manager job. She has worked hard for it, earned it. All the patrons vote for her.
Joseph out to help his father from the debtor's jail doing two jobs to keep them afloat. Once well respect now a dock worker and bartender. They are challenged with trust issues and having the faith to see the lig
Lisa Rayns
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sweet!
This beautifully crafted historical romance is a perfect way to spend an afternoon. The characters are wonderful, enduring, and the problems they face are nearly as relevant in today’s society as they were back then. It’s very well-written, compelling, and most of all, sweet. I truly enjoyed it!
I won this book in a contest.
Cathie
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous little novel, full of warmth, great conflict and blossoming love. Highly recommended!

Review to follow.
Clare
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Brimble never fails to take you on a journey into the distant past and puts you in the position of her characters, making you feel all of their raw emotions the pain and passion that her characters go through. Loved this little story of Milly a hard working woman making her way in the world when times were hard for a woman to have a job thought of as a man's only job. Learning to love and trust that Joseph wont take everything away from her if she gives him her heart mind body and soul. G ...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by JoAnne
Book provided by the publisher
Originally posted at Romancing the Book

This was a fast paced novella that I read in only a few hours but the ending was a disappointment and the story didn’t fit in the period it was placed in – 1890 – although I felt it was appropriate to be set in England. The story line seemed more likely to be in the 1950’s, after the war, with a woman having so much responsible for her family and holding property. While there was a happily ever after in the ma
Teresa
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Milly Shepherd ispromised the job as manager of the club she works at IF no man shows up with better qualifications. Milly needs the money to survive.

Joseph Jacobs is looking to supplement his income to help pay off his fathers debts. He finds out the pub is hiring a manager and goes for an interview.

Milky gets the manager job and Jacob takes the job as bartender. After working together they have a connection. The 2 must decide to pool their resources and their feelings, or go on alone.

This was
Claire
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Milly Shepherd is a great lead character, strong, hard working, loyal, and determined.

Milly and Joseph started life at opposite ends of the class system, however changing circumstances have caused them to meet in the middle and sparks fly. The chemistry between them is really well done and I enjoyed watching their romance develop.

A quick read, this book was fun to listen to. The narration is well done, the character voices are convincing and the delivery was smooth and well paced.

I received a f
JoAnne
May 31, 2014 rated it it was ok
Read my review on Romancing-the-Book.com by clicking on the link below:

Stephanie Cage
Jul 07, 2015
Cathiecaffey
Mar 07, 2015
SD
rated it did not like it
Jul 15, 2018
Salla Leppänen
Jul 25, 2015
Gina
Aug 17, 2015
I live with my husband, our two daughters in a small market town near the famous Georgian City of Bath. I'm the author of the Pennington's Department series (Aria Fiction) and the Templeton Cove series (Harlequin) as well as four Victorian romances with eKensington/Lyrical.

When I’m not writing, you’ll find me with my head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with my family. And i