Start by marking “Red Rackham's Treasure” as Want to Read:
Red Rackham's Treasure

Red Rackham's Treasure

(Tintin #12)

Determined to find the treasure of the notorious pirate Red Rackham, Tintin and Captain Haddock set sail aboard the Sirius to find the shipwreck of the Unicorn. With the help of an ingenious shark-shaped submarine, Tintin follows the clues deep down on this ocean adventure.
Published July 14th 2009 by Egmont (first published 1943)

To ask other readers questions about Red Rackham's Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Rackham's Treasure

Start your review of Red Rackham's Treasure
Ahmad Sharabiani
Le trésor de Rackham Le Rouge = Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin #12), Hergé

Red Rackham's Treasure, is the twelfth volume of The Adventures of Tintin, the comics series by Belgian cartoonist Hergé.

The story tells of young reporter Tintin and his friend Captain Haddock as they launch an expedition to the Caribbean to locate the treasure of the pirate Red Rackham.

Tintin and his friend Captain Haddock plan an expedition to the West Indies aboard a fishing trawler, the Sirius, to search for the treas
B Schrodinger
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Red Packham's Treasure' follows directly on from 'The Secret of the Unicorn'. Tintin and Captain Haddock found all the clues to where the treasure is, now they just have to get there and recover it.

Professor Calculus is introduced to the series here. He is a deaf old bugger who invents things. Pretty much sums it up. The humour is in what he thinks the person has said and his response. It really pisses Captain Haddock off.

Thompson and Thomson are along for the ride. They take leave from their
Piyangie
Jun 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library, comics
This adventure is a continuation of that began in The Secret of the Unicorn . Firmly believing that Sir Francis Haddock managed to escape the fatal "Unicorn" with Red Rackam's treasure, Tintin and Captain Haddock make preparations for the treasure hunt. With so many mishaps, they finally piece the puzzle to discover the treasure in a most unthought way.

The adventure, in the form of the treasure hunt, was also quite interesting in itself, although I enjoyed the first part in the The Secret of
Gary
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tintin and Captian Haddock prepare to depart on the search for the hidden treasure of Red Rackham, and are approached by an eccentric hard of hearing inventor, Professor Calculus, who simply won't go away.

His shark submarine is to prove invaluable in Tintin and the Captain's search, and Calculus will be a constant figure in all subsequent Tintin books.
They are also joined by the irrepresible Thomp(s)on twins.They take a ship to a remote tropical island and come across all sorts of interesting th
Tamara
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blistering Barnacles! That was repeated way too often.

I love treasure hunting stories and Tintin... so it worked out! :)

Calculus was hilarious. I love British humour.
Bipasha
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Red Rackham's Treasure is the second part of an adventure begun in The Secret of the Unicorn, rendered in highly realistic comic book/graphic novel style by the Belgian artist/writer Herge in the mid-1940s. This story of a hunt for lost pirate treasure takes Tintin, his dog Snowy, the ill-tempered Captain Haddock, and the comically inept detectives Thompson and Thomson on a long sea journey on a freighter, to a tropical island, and on an adventure under the sea. The story is sufficiently complex ...more
Harish Challapalli
Another wonderful book!! I don't know what to say, I may repeat what I said in my earlier reviews as I am out of words to describe how best are THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN!!

The film inspired me to read all the books, though I have seen cartoons, it always gives a good feeling if u read the books!

Many people, who read the comics first, said that the film has not done justice to the books, but I donot agree!!

Both book and the film are equally wonderful and being a fan of films, I take one step towa
Starseeker
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fucking love Tintin.
Brigita Soldo
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
Tintin has completely won me over with the last few sequels, I've been enjoying reading them so much! ...more
Jazzy Lemon
Tintin goes in search of the Treasure and meets the Professor.
Lili P
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic. Plus, you can’t beat Calculus.
David Sarkies
Feb 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Tintin
Recommended to David by: Primary School
Shelves: adventure
The Cast is Complete
7 February 2012

I would suggest that this is the last of the war novels, though by the time that this was released the war was almost over (I believe Belgium had been at least partially liberated, and Hitler and the Japanese were on the back foot, though there was still a lot of war to fight at this stage). Most of the album takes place at sea (which is similar to the other war albums) and it noticeably has no antagonist - it is purely a treasure hunt. While the threat of the
Tosh
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have known TinTin all my life and i must have read the series as a very very young tot, or my mom read them to me. For the past 40 something years I have been avoiding re-reading the books, while at the same time being very attracted to the author/artist Hergé's artwork. in fact I am totally nuts about it.

It is fascinating that Hergé did a remarkable amount of research for his narrative/artwork. He made models of locations/ships, and in many ways they are sort of like little films or at the v
Ashley Capes
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin
Follow-up to The Secret of the Unicorn is Red Rackham's Treasure and it's not quite as enjoyable in terms of the central mystery but it's still fun. Notable especially for the introduction of Professor Calculus, the culmination of all of Herge's previous absent-minded, elderly-inventor-characters.

Great to see how frustrated Haddock gets with Calculus too :)

For those who may have only seen the Spielberg/Jackson movie version of this and the preceding comic, definitely worth a look to see how and
Andrew
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this and the previous volume are where this series really came into its own.

I appreciated that there were no enemies in this one. The only antagonist is the mystery, and Tintin and Co.’s ability to work together.

In general the panels take up more space, the dialogue is a bit more sparse... just more breathing room overall. And a few absolutely gorgeous panels showing the ocean, the jungle and the sunken ship.

Some of my major complaints with Tintin (too much dialogue and text, too ma
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
This is by far the funniest adventure of this ever enlarging group composed now by Tintin and Milu, Captain Haddock, The brothers Dupond and Dupont, Nestor and M. Tournesol... the incredibly deaf and funny character, the typical "crazy scientist and inventor"!
They set on a journey to find Rackham's treasure and they succeed, but through so many funny inuendos and changes to their plans that you will enjoy it totally!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon 14 January 2015.
Kellyn Roth
I think this is my favorite Tintin book. Well ... one of them, anyway. ;)
Thomas
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember listening to these over and over again when I was a smaller human being. Still holds up.
itchy
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: portable
calculus getting on haddock's nerves is just hilarious;
check out the parrots!
Mah$a
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must confess if Calculus wasn't in this story, it would be dull. Loved those parts when he got on Haddock's nerves. 😂 I love treasure hunting tales and this book tickled me to death. ⚓🚢 ...more
Farhana
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-books
Ah, all such peculiar characters on board together :D
Epic
Jan 04, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuation from The secret of the unicorn that ends well... (That was a reference to the book)
Vicky
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't remember when I first discovered the Tintin books, but they remain books I love coming back to. I was very sceptical about seeing the recent movie version, but a French friend said she thought it was well done and faithful to the books (it is an amalgam of three of the stories). I enjoyed it (Snowy is really good), and it motivated me to go back and reread several of the adventures. This is the sequel to " The Secret of the Unicorn". I highly recommend this particular format/edition for ...more
Roshini
This is probably the most famous story of the Tintin series, made popular in the 2011 movie (which deviates significantly from the books). 'Secret of the Unicorn' and 'Red Rackham's Treasure' should be read together to truly enjoy the adventure (Tintin even tells us to do so at the end of 'Secret of the Unicorn'). These two books not only have a gripping and fast-paced storyline, but are also brilliant because we are finally introduced to Nestor and, more importantly, Professor Calculus. It brin ...more
Eva
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pretty-fantastic
4/5
Now this is what I'm talking about! Adventure, intrigue, humor, and wit. This is one of the books that inspired the 2011 movie. I wish there were more of this in the animation, or at least some in the second movie Spielberg says they're still doing (fingers crossed!).
"Me, afraid?...Afraid of what?...Afraid of whom?...Afraid of you, perhaps? Captain Haddock fears nothing! You understand? We weigh anchor at dawn tomorrow, no matter what anyone says!"
It is in this volume that we meet Profe
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series of two, the first one being "The secret of the Unicorn". In this adventure Tintin and Captain Haddock goes on an expedition to find the treasure of Sir Francis Haddock. It is in this book Tintin meets Professor Cuthbert Calculus for the first time. His underwater machine turns out to be invaluable, even though Tintin and Captain Haddock at first reject it.

This book is faster paced and more interesting than the first of the two and contains a lot of enjoyable h
Annchan Maulana
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic
it's follows Tintin and friends as they search for the pirate booty procured by Captain Haddock's ancestor, Sir Francis Haddock, in the West Indies. They receive some unexpected help in the form of a hard-of-hearing inventor named Professor Calculus, who would go on to become one of the most endearing characters of the series. (Herge admitted that the character was one "whom I never suspected would take on such importance.") It's a lot of fun, with some submarine and diving adventures, humor fro ...more
Mark
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the closing part of a two book comic, this part is in essence a treasure hunt in which we first meet professor Calculus who will be back for plenty more adventures to come. The Iconic shark submarine pops up and the fun as usual takes place in plenty of speed. The gags by now are half the fun reading the book especially the recurring ones.

Well worth you time reading
Carmel North
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent practice to keep my French skills feebly alive and breathing!
Thomas
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin
A great follow on from the Secret of the Unicorn. It is about how Tintin, Haddock and hmmmm is there a stowaway on board??? But maybe a little bit deaf...oh but I cant tell you that would be a spoiler alert!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1)
  • Tintin: Complete Companion
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Class Act (Astérix, #32)
  • The Mansions of the Gods (Astérix, #17)
  • Asterix and the Laurel Wreath (Asterix, #18)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix in Switzerland (Asterix, #16)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Roman Agent (Astérix #15)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix, #5)
  • Asterix and Son (Asterix #27)
  • Asterix and the Magic Carpet (Asterix #28)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)
  • Le Mystère de la Grande Pyramide - 1 (Blake et Mortimer, #4)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin, #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • King Ottokar's Sceptre (Tintin, #8)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin #10)

News & Interviews