Start by marking “The Martian War” as Want to Read:
The Martian War

The Martian War

What if the Martian invasion was not entirely the product of H. G. Wells's vivid imagination? What if Wells witnessed something that spurred him to write The War of the Worlds as a warning? From drafty London flats to the steamy Sahara, to the surface of the moon and beyond, The Martian War takes the reader on an exhilarating journey with Wells and his companions.

“…
Published September 27th 2012 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about The Martian War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Martian War

Start your review of The Martian War
Timothy Boyd
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice entertaining book based on the H.G. Wells classic. Kevin Anderson always gives a nice enjoyable read with action and a nice well written story line. Good read. Recommended
Andy
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
I found this on my Kindle and wondered why I hadn't read it. Turns out that I had. The fact that this book is quite so forgettable tells you everything you need to know.

Part fan-fic, part alt-history, part dull adventure novel, this book meanders through a range of Victoriana set pieces cribbing from the likes of Dr Doolittle, The Island of Dr Moreau, The Invisible Man and most obviously of all War of the Worlds.

It's the last of these that's most unpleasant, with dialogue cribbed straight from
Felicity Keane
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was...genuinely cringeworthy at times due to being excruciatingly cheesey, but it was still an enjoyable read (possibly because I like cheesey books from time to time)

Definitely worth rescuing from Forbidden Planet's bargain corner.
Jota Houses
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Una simpática mezcla de personajes victorianos y aventuras juveniles. Por desgracia es muy lineal y llega después de que Alan Moore y su Liga de Hombres extraordinarios y Félix J. de Palma en su trilogía explorasen la idea a fondo y con más pericia. Flojo.
Robbie Spice
Really good
Tim Pyne
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
More of a 2.5

It ranged between almost boring and fun. The Moreau parts were well written compared to the rest.
Luke
Feb 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Trash.
David Proffitt
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just for a moment, imagine a world where an up and coming young Victorian writer finds himself working with one of the leading scientists of the age to stop a Martian invasion of the Earth.

Now try to imagine how one of the Victorian age’s leading astronomers would react if he were to find himself the custodian on an advance Martian scout.

Sounds a little bizarre, but don’t worry because Kevin J Anderson has done all the imagining for us in this compelling and rather unusual story with a cast of
Peter Bosson
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
A novel that combines real men (Wells, Lowell, Huxley) with fictional (Dr. Moreau and the Invisible Man) to tell an alternate version of the War of The Worlds story. I especially enjoyed the use of Dr. Moreau as he is a fantastic literary creation. The story is told in the same pulp style of H.G Wells books though it also reminded me greatly of the John Carter on Mars series by Burroughs. Despite being recently written, this book takes the same liberties with actual science as those classic ...more
Yann Selosse
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Obviously an hommage to Wells' works, it's a quite surprising novel. From a non-native point of view, the late 19th style is quite correctly emulated and the whole thing is pleasant to read. The inclusion of both historical and fiction characters is quite original. It's a quick read with it's pack of action and a strong late 19th pulp naïveté.
Yet, I feel quite uneasy with the "best case" scenario aspect of the plot and with the same plot going in every (implausible) direction. Apart from the
Lacey
I thought this was a pretty fun read. It had Dr. Moreau, H.G. Wells, and T.H. Huxley in it, all fighting to stop an impending Martian invasion! The Martians sure are ugly, squashy guys, and there are also Moon aliens as well! I sort of judged this book by it's cover and title, and figured it would be dumb, which some parts were, like the part with the Invisible Man in it. Lol! But overall I quite enjoyed this! It's proof for me to not judge a book by it's cover! LOL!
Kay Smillie
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A nice homage to H G Wells and not just because he is one of the main characters. A rip snorting tale of adventure, taking the reader to the Moon and Mars. Dr Moreau, the Selenites, the Invisible Man, the evil Martians with their eye on Earth, a wee nod to the Time Machine and the Shape of Things to Come.

I highly recommend this novel to fans of H G Wells.

Ray Smillie
Olof
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Not very engaging. Written like a late 1800s novel, and not in a good way (For good example see Stephen Baxters "The Time Ships"). Shallow characters and no character development. Simple story. Not worth reading.
Anthony Faber
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Same vein as his Nemo book, but this time H.G. Wells gets the "my stories were just drawn from real life" treatment.
Jonathan
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
A crappy retelling of H G Wells.
edifanob
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-books, 2014-reads
This was a solid read which entertained me after all the Christmas dinners.

I liked how the author mixed other authors in person,parts of their books, history and own ideas.

Armando
Jun 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cryer's Cross
  • Mother Courage and Her Children
  • The Black Reckoning (The Books of Beginning, #3)
  • The Castle of Otranto
  • Lizard Radio
  • The Facts in the Case of the Departure of Miss Finch
  • The Emerald Atlas (The Books of Beginning, #1)
  • The Fire Chronicle (The Books of Beginning, #2)
  • Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions
  • The Riddles of Epsilon
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • Seven Ways We Lie
  • The Maze of Bones  (The 39 Clues, #1)
  • This Monstrous Thing
  • The Nibelungenlied
  • If You Could Be Mine
  • On My Honor
  • The Book of Lost Tales, Part One (The History of Middle-Earth, #1)
Yes, I have a lot of books, and if this is your first visit to my amazon author page, it can be a little overwhelming. If you are new to my work, let me recommend a few titles as good places to start. I love my Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. series, humorous horror/mysteries, which begin with DEATH WARMED OVER. My steampunk fantasy adventures, CLOCKWORK ANGELS and CLOCKWORK LIVES, written with Neil ...more