Start by marking “Temple--Its Ministry and Services” as Want to Read:
Temple--Its Ministry and Services

Temple--Its Ministry and Services

Alfred Edersheim has done much work to provide a context in which readers can understand the Old and New Testaments. This work is no exception. Temple--Its Ministry and Services provides a historical examination of the first century Temple at Jerusalem. Edersheim provides beautiful and lush descriptions of the Temple. These descriptions help convey a sense of holiness and ...more
Published July 25th 2010 by Christian Classics Ethereal Library (first published 1874)

Start your review of Temple--Its Ministry and Services
Brian
I was pretty excited to start reading this book, and while I found the contents really interesting, I do think that the cover was a bit misleading. I took the liberty of mocking up an alternate cover which I think would better convey the contents:

Rant mode on.

The Temple Its Ministry and Services as They Were in the Time of Jesus Christ starts with a brief introduction where Edersheim mentions that his studies of Temple protocol and practice strengthened his Christian faith and convinced him more
Scott Petty
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, reference, e
Enlightening. Helpful in understanding the Temple system especially in how it related to the ministry and sacrifice of our Lord.
Dan
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in the many, many ways in which the Old Covenant and Law points forward to the coming of the Messiah; and those who want to learn about Jewish culture at the time of Jesus in great detail.

Edersheim is a convert to Christianity from Judaism, and draws from a wide range of sources including the Mishnah, Talmud and historians such as Josephus and Eusebius, in addition to the Bible. The first half of the book describes the daily goings-on in th
Jen
Nov 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. I loved the historical background and even if there were paragraphs I had to plow through like the breakdown of the measurement of an omer it was worth it especially to get to the chapter about the firstfruits. Beautiful, educational, and edifying.
Jeremy Howlett
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A superb historical read to align more of the ancient Jewish temple practices to the symbols that the represented. Edersheim dives into deep analysis of the many feasts and offerings that were made at the Temple in Jerusalem. He does his best to separate those that were scriptural versus those that were created as tradition later.
I enjoyed it for an initial read but see it more as reference material in the future as I study the Bible. It will come in handy to make the connections to much of the
Jonathan García
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un muy buen viaje por los rituales y eventos en derredor del templo. El autor utiliza un estilo de drama para contar lo que realizaban los sacerdotes día da día, fiesta a fiesta, y el significado profundo de cada sacrificio a la luz del Cristo revelado en Jesús. Esto será muy interesante para los que les fascine la historia y estén interesados en ver más allá de los sacrificios, en el espíritu de los mimos y de la finalidad metafórica y real del ministerio sacerdotal.
Cory Briggs
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is worth your time

The Author paints a good picture of how the temple operated during the time of Christ. He supplies greater detail and insight concerning familiar Biblical passages. Take your time when you read this book.
Nadine Damo
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thorough and definitely worth the time.
BABU JOSE
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

I like to know about temple and it's description in common understandable words. This book is the right one. Thanks
Paul
An unwieldy but highly informative reprint of an 1874 text on the Jerusalem temple.

The author is a Jewish convert to Christianity, and he has gone through and distilled every scrap of literature on the temple to come up with a complete picture of how it operated. Much of the book is a discussion of the Jewish festivals, with an emphasis on the specific acts performed at the temple itself during them. Edersheim, an enthusiastic Christian, often notes how temple lore appears in the New Testament,
Ethan
A nineteenth-century work describing and detailing what was then known of the Temple in the Second Temple period, its sacrifices, its festivals, and its ministers.

Edersheim draws principally from Scripture, Josephus, and rabbinical works. He is thorough, describing the whole range of functions of the Temple, its services, the various sacrifices and festival days, etc.

He makes reference to Jesus whenever he can and he writes in good bombastic 19th century style that may seem a bit grating to a m
Eli
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book on the ins and outs of the temple. Edersheim has amazing insights into the more minor details of the temple and how they correspond to the New Testament. Not your typical book on the temple. Edersheim helps you step back into time and see the temple as if you were really there.
Myron
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darl Locke's gift to me prepping for a class in Types and Shadows. An exhaustive look at the Temple of Israel from Solomon to Titus and its attendant sacrifices and ordinances. Should be a help in appreciating God's expectation for our holiness today. ...more
Erneilson
Dr. Edersheim's treatise on the temple and the sacrificial rites and practices of ancient and New Testament Israel and temple worship is a very interesting work with some thoughtful insights. I will be keeping this as a reference. ...more
José Miguel
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recomendado

Me gustó la presentación de hechos de forma objetiva y el uso reiterado de fuentes extrabíbiblicas confiables. Recomiendo su lectura a quienes vean los evangelios, por consiguiente, la vida de Jesus, como un hecho histórico.
Matthew Kutilek
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. The contents of this book shed great light on the Old Testament Law, the book of Leviticus, the importance of priest and also the life and actions of Christ. Highly recommended to anyone who wants to understand and apply the Bible message.
John Lowery
Oct 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gives a real understanding of the tabernacle and temple within the context of the Gospel.
Maly
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it shed so much light into the ceremonies and rites associated with temple at the time of Christ, it was a slow read for me. I learned a great deal!
Rick
Jun 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It got tedious. There were some nice nuggets buried in here, but I had to force myself to finish. Perhaps only 2 stars...
James Owen
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have learned a lot reading this book and I do recommend it for all people to learn more about the Bible and the Jewish customs. This book will help you in the understanding of scripture.
Joe V Gossman
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Edersheims books.

Alter Edersheim is my favorite author. if found this book when studying the Temple in Jerusalem. How I wish I could go.
Kimberly Arnold

• The Cultural Church
  • Mere Christianity
  • The Tabernacle
  • A Brief Introduction to the Talmud
  • Thompson Chain Reference Bible - KJV version [Illustrated]: Thompson's Original & Exhaustive System of Topical Chain References
  • Garments for Glory: Types and Shadows of Israel's High Priest
  • Types of the Tabernacle and Temple: Two Books in One
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • Versión Israelita Nazarena VIN 2015
  • Chosen But Free
  • El Tabernáculo: Guía Ilustrada
  • How to Develop Your Child's Temperament
  • Systematic Theology
  • The Law of the Offerings: The Five Tabernacle Offerings and Their Spiritual Significance
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Life's Great Question: Discover How You Contribute To The World
Edersheim was a scholar and writer on the traditions of the Jewish faith and Life of Christ He was born March 7th, 1825 in the city of Vienna, Austria. His parents Marcus and Stephanie Beifuss were of the Jewish faith. In Vienna he studied in the gymnasium and University of Austria.

Around 1845 he moved to Pesth, Hungary where he met John Duncan and other Presbyterian ministers, who were chaplains

News & Interviews