Start by marking “Mighty Old Bones (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mighty Old Bones (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #2)

Mighty Old Bones (Thistle & Twigg Mystery #2)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

At times, Tullulah can be a sleepy little town, but no one sleeps through the thunderstorm th
Published May 27th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Mighty Old Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mighty Old Bones

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book. The two main characters Jane and Phoebe are strong females with the conviction to act against injustices. Jane Thistle is a former intelligence operative and Phoebe Twigg a retired Librarian with the knowledge that she is more than society views her as. Both ladies are widows and have been drawn to each other from their inner strengths.

Jane owns and cares for a large parcel of wooded property that has the hidden gift of being a repository of ancient artifacts from Native Ameri
Stephanie
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
I love a good mystery, and really needed something light right now. This fit the bill. Two old ladies, one a gun-toting former spy and the other a Southern Belle with a passion for action flicks, find themselves their own bit of action when a storm blows over a tree and uncovers a skeleton.

I could have done without the last chapter, in which the author goes on for a bit about the possibility of white men being in America earlier than currently documented. But - it was an easy, fun read.
Lynn Demsky
Jan 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
"Jane Thistle and Phoebe Twigg are as different as two best friends can be. Phoebe has never seen any reason to leave her small Southern hometown, while Jane, the urbane widow of a career military officer, has traveled all over, only recently putting down roots in Tullulah, Alabama.
At times, Tullulah can be a sleepy little town, but no one sleeps through the thunderstorm that knocks down a tree on Jane’s property and uncovers a pile of skeletal remains buried underneath. Jane has some archaeolo
Nikki
Nov 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
Second in the Thistle and Twigg series, this one is a worthy successor. Jane Thistle, military widow with some secret skills of her own, is settling in to her inheritance of a wilderness in northwest Alabama. Cal Prewitt, the aged recluse who left her the land, has also left her boxes of information about it, and after opening Box #2, she is lead to the discovery of some old bones and other artifacts. She calls in Michael, an old friend and archaeologist, to help with the "dig," and of course Ph ...more
Sheila Beaumont
In Mary Saums' second delightful Thistle & Twigg mystery, two friends, Jane and Phoebe, with their contrasting personalities, take turns narrating the tale. Phoebe, a widow and retired librarian, has always lived in her hometown of Tullulah, Alabama, while the more sophisticated Jane has not only lived all over the world with her late husband, the Colonel, but has experience in archaeological digs and espionage, and a knowledge of martial arts, not to mention the Colonel's extensive collecti ...more
Erin
Apr 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a surprise! This book was a thousand times better than the first one! I had decided to read it quickly so I could swap it on PBS.com, but it ended up being pretty entertaining. I get so sick of books that tie in supposed Indian history, when so much of it is just made up politically correct nonsense. In this one, the characters discover a dig site which turns out to be Caucasian, as would actually mesh with real history. The only problem is that in real life, the archaeologists would have t ...more
Shana
Sep 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Another installment of Jane Thistle and Phoebe Twigg's adventures. There's a lot more to Jane than meets the eye, which makes it amusing and interesting. In this adventure (a mere 8 weeks after she's moved to this new town), Jane and Phoebe find bones where a tree has uprooted. I love how the spirits help out -- through blue auras or with a phone call!

I was intrigued by the ending of this story. The eventual answer to who the bones belong to is a possibility I've never heard of -- is it pure fi
Arlene
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The contrasting viewpoints between Phoebe and Jane add an interesting element to this mystery series. In this case, a bad storm hits the little town of Tallulah and one of the old trees on Mrs Thistle's property is knocked over. It reveals an old skeleton.

Surprisingly, this is not the murder victim (yes, there is one). Instead it's an archaeological discovery. Mrs. Thistle contacts the proper authorities; local Cherokee tribe and an archaeological contact from her days of working on digs around
Julia
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
I enjoy Jane Thistle and Phoebe Twigg's unlikely friendship as much as I like the inhabitants of their town of Tullulah. The Bones mystery was very interesting, with archealogical twists, Native American and pre-Colmubus information. Sadly, the Mary Saums website is gone! Excessive googling finds her listed at all sorts of mystery websites, but I cannot find any future references for Thistle and Twigg. That's too bad because they make a fine pair and I would continue to read their adventures.
Sara
May 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Even more enjoyable than the first book, the continued adventures (and misadventures) of Jane and Phoebe will bring a smile to the face of the reader. I can't help but envision Helen Mirren and Shirley MacLaine as Jane and Phoebe as these two "mature" women from different worlds join together to bring down the bad guys. More, please!!!!!
Mascanlon
Sep 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cozy, southern, paranormal lovers
This is the second book in the new series from Mary Saums. I had the same experience, I didn't like it going in but somehow the charm of the characters, the good plotting and writing and by the middle of the book I'm satisfied. And amusing cozy w that is full of paranormal twists. Oh and did I say its Southern too!
Nancy H
Sep 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked this book, even though it didn't quite grab me the way the first one in the series did. I like it that the main characters have surprising traits and personalities, and that (SPOILER here) one was a former spy. The theme of the book in terms of the archeological find is interesting, also, especially the part about how Caucasians could have been here before Columbus. An interesting read.
Michele
Aug 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the second in a fun & unusual mystery series set in Alabama. I enjoyed all the elements of the story, the friendship between Jane & Phoebe, the hint of the supernatural, the southern setting & the unusual aspects of Jane's history. It would be much improved if the dogs were replaced with cats, which is my only quibble.
John
Jul 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great second book! I'm a fan of alternating protagonists; this one changes point-of-view between the two women by chapter. The paranormal and historical aspects were terrific, though I was put off a bit by the emphasis on guns.
I recommend reading Thistle & Twigg first for context, but this series continues to look quite promising.
Denise
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
I had a difficult time with each chapter alternating which sister is telling the story. Every time I really started to settle into the story, the next chapter would come up and I would need to acclimate myself to reading the story through the other sister's viewpoint. I would have enjoyed to story more without all that.
Janet
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Not nearly as engaging as the first in the series. If you could call the first book a mystery with some archaeological bits tossed in, then this is the opposite. There’s so much concern about the land and the site that the plot suffers. Even the paranormal angle wasn’t as charming. This seems to be the last book in this series (so far), and I’m unsure if I’d read a third.
Amelia-Irene
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. The heroines are 60+++ year old widows with knowledge to help them out. One a retired world traverler who is encouraging the other to come out of her safe haven - even if it means solving a murder. Want to see more of this series.
Patty
Jul 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Despite the numerous clichés, obligatory supernatural overtones, and the alternating point of view per chapter, I still enjoy this off-beat series. Jane Thistle is an appealing character, and her private forest legacy filled with ancient artefacts and sacred places keeps me coming back for more.
Sydney
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
It was okay. I finished it so I didn't hate it completely and the story was going well until the dead father called on the telephone...then it lost me. Weird glowing things and random ghosts lost my attention and desire to read any more of her books.
Marion Shea
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable, light read. Love the archeology stuff, the back and forth of the two perspectives.
Linda Watkins
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mystery series featuring two women in Alabama One is from Wales and one is from the small town in Alabama. It is light and funny. But interesting trying to figure out what will happen next.
Lori
Jun 10, 2009 added it
I like Jane, she's like I'd like to be when I grow up!
Phoebe is a bit over the top, but that's what makes her
funny. Hope there's more books to read in this series
Dale
OnceOnce
Regina
Aug 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-books
Good book. Somewhat of a simple plot but overall an easy read. A bit of mystery along with some supernatural.
Vicky
Jun 02, 2009 rated it liked it
the final chapter drug on
Alisonpaddock
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very improbable pair but fun to read.
Linda
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Each Chapter is in first person dialogue, so I had to reread the chapter heading to remember who was talking. Other than that the story was intriguing.
Linda G
Jul 20, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was good but got a little slow in the end.
Hillery
Mar 01, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea, #4)
  • The Black Heart Crypt (Haunted Mystery #4)
  • Shadows of Death (Dorothy Martin #14)
  • Ellery Queen, Master Detective
  • Mayhem in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #2)
  • Strangers (Faye Longchamp, #6)
  • Hark! The Herald Angel Screamed (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Mind Games (Guardian, #2)
  • Shrouds of Holly (Pennyfoot Hotel #15)
  • All Shots (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #18)
  • The Bishop Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #4)
  • The Moneylender of Toulouse (Fools' Guild, #7)
  • Smart Dog
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • The Reckoners (The Reckoners, #1)
Mary Saums grew up in North Alabama. Her earliest memory is of her first trip to the library at age six. Both her mother and the well-meaning librarian refused to let Mary check out the book she wanted.Mary also writes poetry and short fiction.
More about Mary Saums...

Thistle & Twigg Mystery (2 books)
  • Thistle and Twigg (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #1)