Start by marking “A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1)” as Want to Read:
A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1)

A Natural History of Dragons

(The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  21,430 ratings  ·  3,217 reviews
Marie Brennan begins a thrilling new fantasy series in A Natural History of Dragons, combining adventure with the inquisitive spirit of the Victorian Age.

You, dear reader, continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart—no more so than the study of dragons itself. But such study offers rewards beyond compare: to stand in a dragon's presence, even for the
Published January 27th 2014 by Titan Books (Titan Entertainment Group) (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Natural History of Dragons, please sign up.
Sarah Smithers I did want more dragon lore, but the parts that were there were very interesting.

Her manner of speaking , and her pithing and sarcastic comments,…more

Her manner of speaking , and her pithing and sarcastic comments, were a delightful hoot.

Usually those victorian type things are boring and melodramatic over the littlest thing, but this was a lively and entertaining story.(less)
Andreea (Infinite Text) It is a fiction book in which a woman in a society (similar to the Victorian period) visits a town similar to the Romanian villages in the Carpathian…moreIt is a fiction book in which a woman in a society (similar to the Victorian period) visits a town similar to the Romanian villages in the Carpathian Mountains in search of Dragons for the purpose of writing about them. In its descriptions it resembles a lot of the drawings and writings of one like Charles Darwin in terms of naturalism, description, and accompanying drawings. It is not however a non-fiction book on the history of dragon creation in the collective imagination. Though, that would be cool as well!(less)

·  21,430 ratings  ·  3,217 reviews

Start your review of A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #1)
Miranda Reads
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardcover, ya-series
description

One benefit of being an old woman now, and moreover one who has been called a "national treasure," is that there are very few who can tell me what I may and may not
write.
Ever since she was a child, Isabella was obsessed, absolutely obsessed, with dragons.

She would spent long hours curled up with her favorite book, A Natural History of Dragons and for a while, she was indulged by her father...but unfortunately that could not last.
No gentleman would want a wife covered in scars
Christopher Paolini
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recommended
A Natural History of Dragons: A Memoir by Lady Trent, by Marie Brennan, is a superb novel in every regard. It's a classic, first-person adventure full of travel, science, and of course, dragons. The writing is clean, concise, and well-assured. The characters are interesting—especially the main one, Isabella. The plotting is clockwork-tight. And the worldbuilding is a masterpiece of sophisticated evocation. It's clear that Brennan has put an enormous amount of thought and research into her craft. ...more
seak
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-review, 2013
It turns out, and I wouldn't have discovered this without reading A Natural History of Dragons, that I really like dragons slaying, riding, attacking, hoarding, speaking, snoozing, probably even over-easy ... but to witness them studied for science bored me to death.

I feel really bad about this, because there are some great things about this book, I just couldn't wait for it to be over.

A Natural History of Dragons is a memoir of the life of the famous Lady Trent, who tells about her first
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Aug 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans
Shelves: fantasy, 3-star-reads
I like books about people who like books. Perhaps it’s because it immediately allows me to sympathise with the protagonist as a bond of kinship is created. Or perhaps it’s because reading about books is a double winner. Well, either way it creates a novel that is easy to relate to and easy to become engrossed in.

A well created discipline

description
This is not a standard novel; it is in the form of a memoir of sorts. Lady Trent is writing, what is essentially, her life story. She is now an aged and
Emma
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant enough read. It was really a story about a feisty young Victorian woman than it was about dragons though. You could just have easily had the same story, but with lions or bears for example. I'm glad I finally got round to this book-one of those that I have been meaning to try for a long while. Would I continue the series? Maybe as a filler....
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal. A perfect combination of light-hearted science adventures and some serious consideration of the restriction of women's (and men's) lives in patriarchies. Oh and dragons, let's not forget the dragons. I came in for the dragon-based adventure times and got smacked right in the feels. Just read it.
Sanaa
[5 Stars] I loved this book. I knew I loved this book after reading only two pages of it. I'm finding it difficult to say anything right now because I loved it that much. This series may even become an all time favorite if each book is as good or better than this one.

Though this book is called A Natural History of Dragons it is really more about Lady Trent and how she initially became interested in dragons and also her experience on her first dragon studying expedition. This book also deals with
☽¸¸.I am¸¸.•*¨ The ¸¸.•*¨*Phoenix¨*•♫♪ ☾
“The dragon within my heart stirred, shifting her wings, as if remembering they could be used to fly.”

dragons-by-todd-lockwood

Before starting this book I've been warned by many people: "A Natural History of dragons is not a book about dragons"; which is, on one hand, correct. This fictional memoir follows the life and adventures of Lady Isabella Trent, a woman who, despite her gender and upbringing, became the most influential expert on dragons of her time. In truth, this book focuses so much on her life and her
Mimi
A Lovely book and great summer read, but oh how I wish things had turned out differently...

(view spoiler).
Sam
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017, fantasy
It took me a long time to pick this up. I always loved the cover, but something about it kept me from thinking it was going to be up my alley. I was wrong and I’m glad I finally decided to give this one a chance. It probably turned into a 3.5 star book for me but I’m rounding up.

It’s definitely a different sort of book – it’s got a very Victorian feel. I guess this should be obvious given that’s the sort of setting the author is trying for, but sometimes that feels like a barrier from me
Kaitlin
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-sff-faves
Genuinely I loved this. I picked this up at long last at what I felt was the perfect time. not only had two of my great friends been recently discussing it and saying how much they enjoyed it (Paul and Elizabeth) but they also mentioned the focus on anatomy and science and drawing of Dragons. I've owned this book for literally years now, and I felt like it was about time I got to reading it. I'm so glad that the time I chose to start it was also the time when I was involved in drawing Dinosaur ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: The book has surprisingly few dragons in it for being in the title of the book. It's still a decent book, but I found myself underwhelmed by the end of it.

Full Review
I was hesitant to read this book when it was announced as the December pick for Sword & Laser. I like dragons, but the concept of this book made me apprehensive.

I ended up really enjoying the start of this book though. It really appealed to my inner scientist that wants to categorize things and understand
Beatriz Cunha Tavares ☾
4.75*

Lovely book, a total surprise. It was an easy read that really grabed my attention and was hard to put down.

I loved the world, that was very "normal", with normal animals and a normal society ressembling the 19th century. Sometimes it felt almost like I was reading a goood historical fiction... with dragons! I don't usually read a lot of books about dragons, but in this one they were nicely imagined and described and fit very well in the story.
The prose was beautifully written and had
Allison Hurd
This was quite enjoyable. Part Regency memoir, part travelogue, part adventure story, part cozy mystery, it was just pleasant.

CONTENT WARNINGS: (just a list of topics) (view spoiler)

Things to love:

-The combination of archetypes. If you like flintlock fantasy AND Regency AND mysteries AND...all the rest, this is a must-read. I didn't think they'd all manage to blend as well as they did and I was
Wol
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans, Jane Austen fans
I'll preface this review with something that I feel it's important to know.

This book is not for everyone. It's really, *really* not for everyone. If you read Fantasy for lots of action, wish fulfillment, badass overpowered characters, action scenes, battles, intricate plot and heavy world building, run. Run far, run fast, and don't look back. It's not for you, Jen.

If you enjoy a good character piece, if you have an interest in science and natural history, if you enjoy classical literature in the
TheBookSmugglers
Originally reviewed on Kirkus' SFF Blog

Be warned, then: the collected volumes of this series will contain frozen mountains, foetid swamps, hostile foreigners, hostile fellow countrymen, the occasional hostile family member, bad decisions, misadventures in orienteering, diseases of an unromantic sort, and a plentitude of mind. You continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart–no more so than the study of dragons itself.

At the age of seven, Lady Isabella Hendemore discovers a
Kaora
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book is named incorrectly. A Natural History of Dragons? While it is a memoir of Lady Trent dragons hardly play into it. I was thinking that this might be a book much like The Resurrectionist: The Lost Work of Spencer Black, but perhaps a bit less mad scientist and more dragon biology.

I was disappointed.

Lady Trent is a woman born in the time where women are expected to attend and host dinner events, not to read books. But after developing a passion for books and dragons at a
Jessica
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, dragons, fantasy
The lovechild of Lady Cottington's Pressed Faerie Book and His Majesty's Dragon, I can't believe I waited this long to read the thrilling tales of Lady Trent! I must have the second (and third!) books immediately! This book reads exactly like a Victorian memoir, except for the fact that there are dragons. And there is also Isabella, Lady Trent, is not one to faint at the sight of a little dragon blood! Instead, spurred by a fascination with natural history in general and dragons in particular, ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
The preface drew me in with its strong voice and promise to relate the adventure-filled career of a lady naturalist in an alternate Victorian age, studying dragons. The book itself is entertaining, but doesn't quite live up to that promise.

A Natural History of Dragons is the first in what looks to be a long series of fictionalized memoirs of Isabella, Lady Trent, a dragon naturalist. In this book, Isabella briefly takes readers through her childhood, courtship and marriage, then moves on to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4.5 stars. Wow, I really liked this book -- everything from the story and the characters and the writing down to its stark yet elegant cover which first drew my eye to its spot sitting on a store bookshelf. I blame my background in the biological sciences, since it seems I can't help but be intrigued by anything that looks like it has anatomical drawings on it.

As indicated by its title, the novel is told in the form of a memoir from the venerable Lady Trent, leading research and expert on the
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
2.5

Within the first few chapters, I was prepared to love this book. Lady Trent reminded me a bit of Alexia Tarbotti and Amelia Peabody - those anachronistic women of modern pseudo-Victorian tales I enjoy. (Though this world is even more pseudo than the others as it's set either in a different world entirely, or, perhaps, in the far future - but the society and even writing style, complete with multiple chapter sub-titles, remains the same.)

Anyway -

The voice of Lady Trent, the older lady writing
Aventure! Mystery! An intrepid heroine who gets herself into all kinds of dangerous and precarious situations! No, it's not a Nancy Drew book, but it was just as much fun. ;)

I really enjoyed this. It had a Victorian feel but because it was a fantasy world it was able to throw a lot of the straitlaced conventions to the winds whenever it felt like it. I was expecting something a bit more dry but this was basically about having adventures and solving a mystery. It was good fun and I'm off to order
Rincey
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started so strong and then ended with the trip that made me lose interest. But I still want to read the rest of the series, so there is that
Gabrielle
Written as a pastiche of Victorian literature, “A Natural History of Dragons” is the first part of Lady Trent’s memoirs, documenting her life and career as a natural historian who made some ground-breaking discoveries about dragons. I didn’t need to know anything else about this book to get excited about it, and while the novel delivers exactly what it’s synopsis promises, something about it left me unsatisfied.

Let’s be clear: this book is very well written, Isabella’s narrative voice is strong,
Lea
Sep 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
A Natural History of Dragons is a faux-memoir by an aristocratic lady scientist, a dragon enthusiast. The book had a very strong start, the chapters on her childhood are so promising, and the commentary on women's total legal dependancy on their husbands was very interesting. Unfortunately, the story goes downhill just when it's supposed to get more exciting: when the protagonist goes on an excursion abroad to study dragons.

It. Was. So. Boring! The dragons are tangential to the story, at best.
Charlie
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
5 stars!

First of all, I love dragons so I hoped this book was going to be good and thankfully, I loved it.

Lady Trent is a wonderful narrator. I laughed and cried with her and I felt her frustrations. This was a mix of fantasy and historical fiction that worked so well and I can't wait to read the other books in the series.
Auntie Terror
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-gaslamp
I'm too giddy with excitement to write a proper review just now. [prtf]
Becky
Quite enjoyable, I thought. This was not perfect, though any memoir-style book will suffer from a lot of the same complaints - lack of suspense for the fate of the narrator, too much narrator "presence" that interrupts the story, often at inconvenient times, and usually a focus on what the narrator chooses to reveal rather than what the reader/listener is interested in.

That being said, I still liked this quite a lot. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I wasn't disappointed or bored
Nikki
It took me a while to get round to finishing reading this, even once I was a decent way into it and knew I wanted to finish it. It's a slow sort of book, one I suspect you will either get on with or not based on the narrator and setting. The idea is of a Victorian-era analogue in which dragons exist, and in which one young woman has the opportunity of a lifetime to go and study dragons scientifically after having obsessed over them all her life. The conceit is that it's narrated by her in the ...more
Lena
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Fantasy Buddy Reads
Shelves: audio, fantasy, gut-punch
A1F482D7-1084-4CAC-A776-48F9FBC44EF9.jpg

I feel betrayed by this book. It was so good, has such an authentic feeling for a fantasy. There was beautiful Austen style romance and Indiana Jones adventure.

Then Marie Brennan stabbed me right in the gut. She looked me dead in the eye and watched me bleed.

I will not be reading Book Two.

It’s hard to see through the pain to rate this based on its merits. I hardly heard the end of the audiobook.

• His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Spinning Silver
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • The History of Soul 2065
  • Magic for Liars
  • The Goblin Emperor (The Goblin Emperor, #1)
  • Shades of Milk and Honey (Glamourist Histories, #1)
  • Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • Uprooted
Marie Brennan is the author of the Doppelganger, Onyx Court, Wilders, and Memoirs of Lady Trent series of fantasy novels. Sign up for her newsletter here!

The Memoirs of Lady Trent (5 books)
  • The Tropic of Serpents (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)
  • In the Labyrinth of Drakes (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #4)
  • Within the Sanctuary of Wings (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #5)
“I believed myself to be ready then; now, with the hindsight brought by greater age, I see myself for the naive and inexperienced young woman I was. We all begin in such a manner, though. There is no quick route to experience.” 16 likes
“But coming to terms with one’s sorrow is one thing; sharing it with strangers is quite another.” 14 likes