Start by marking “The Stars Shine Down (Kilau Bintang Menerangi Bumi)” as Want to Read:
The Stars Shine Down (Kilau Bintang Menerangi Bumi)

The Stars Shine Down (Kilau Bintang Menerangi Bumi)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  14,227 Ratings  ·  369 Reviews
Lara Cameron, seorang taipan muda yang sangat cantik, telah bekerja mati-matian untuk mencapai sukses, kekuasaan, dan kemapanan hidup serta kehidupan pribadinya. Tapi seorang kekasih yang dicampakkan menyimpan dendam di hatinya - dan melancarkan aksi pembalasan yang dapat menghancurkan seluruh kerajaan bisnis Lara yang telah dibangunnya sepanjang hidupnya.

Dengan setting S
Published 1997 by Gramedia Pustaka Utama (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Stars Shine Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stars Shine Down

Kwesi 章英狮
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I promised myself not to write a review, but GR is so tempting. I'm currently sitting, waiting, waiting for the right time to stand. Imagining the high buildings, the towers and even the tallest skyscraper built in Dubai. I can't pronounce the word skyscraper, boo. A skyscraper is a tall, habitable building, no definite height as long as it gets higher and higher.

One of the most iconic and popular skyscraper built in New York was the World Trade Center. Built on 1973 and stood for 23 years after
Elizabeta
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read in a day! Even though we didn't get a full closure and there were some minor inconsistencies, I loved it :)
Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another master piece by master story teller Sidney Sheldon. 👌

Lara Cameron is youthful and excellent. Ascending from a past she looks to subdue, she accomplishes her most out of control aspiration, making a quite begrudged business domain. At that point, overnight, every one of that has gone some time recently, her fortune, her accomplishments, and her marriageeverythingis at hazard.

Paul Martin, a splendid however secretive legal advisor who is enthralled by Lara, at last is confronted with her
Serene Wong
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK ROCKS. I can't think of any good words to say about this book actually - it is indescribable.

Okay, I shall go on to explain why.

Lara Cameron is born with a jack-ass of a father who refuses to acknowledge her in his life, calling her a "jinx" creating all sorts of problems for her. What made matters worse is that her mother had died giving birth to her, which added to all the tension. As a result, Lara grew up without a mother's love AND a father's love, being outcast by the students in
Alchris M.
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Stars Shine Down is the story of Lara Cameron, a self-made billionaire who had dominated the world of real estate—which, according to the book, is mostly dominated by men, as portrayed in other characters used in the story. My opinions on different aspects of the story vary as follows:

1.) The story of Lara being from rags to riches sounds a little impossible, more like a fairy-tale-type of story. But it's Sidney's story, so I give him that right to tell his story and develop characters any w
Golnaz
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یکی از محرک های من در دوران نوجوانی که باعث علاقه ام به معماری شد
An Odd1
Nov 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stunningly beautiful Lara Cameron on her fortieth birthday, having just lost her fame and fortune as foremost (only female) building developer in Chicago, then New York, her name plastered on the highest deluxe hotels and offices, reviews her life. Born unwanted to an impoverished drunk in Glace Bay, she takes over his rent collection when he is dying. Her first banker, ugly and fat, makes her first deal dependent on having her virgin body. I almost gave up reading.

Her Chicago banker Howard Kel
SumitRK
The book can be roughly divided into 2 parts.
1st part is all about the rags to riches story about the main character, which is quite entertaining (with shades of 'Master of the Game')

2nd part is all about parties, concerts, more parties, conspiracies & a really tame ending

It could have been really great but not disappointing. A page turner. So 3 stars.
Anna
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the reasons why I like Shidney Sheldon's books is because he usually has strong women protagonist and this book did too. The book is about a successful real estate businesswomen Lara. The book begins with an epilogue where Lara is going to celebrate her 40th birthday in the highest building of the United States, built by her. The story portrays Lara as a firm, nononsense ambitious woman who does "anything" to get her job done. Like the usual Shidney Sheldon stories, the protagonist faces ...more
Allyson
Sep 21, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like to read the placemats at McDonalds
Shelves: fiction
Dreadful. Simply dreadful. While I can admit to taking pleasure from some of Sheldon's frothy soap style novels, this one takes the genre to new lows.

It's the usual beautiful woman who claws her way to the top amongst intrigue and sexual discrimination. There's the love interest, also heavily endowed with wealth and talent (of course...)and the disasters and calamities that befall them as they try valiantly to stay together.

It's paint by numbers, at best...
vaugnfreech
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
All the girls love this novel. All about elegance and dominating girl power. The story of Lara Cameron, a poor girl who successfully became a builder of buildings. Quite ironic for a job. Despite of her success was a flaw which nearly ended everythin. That after she fell in love with a musician. OMG! The best bed scene I ever read is in this novel. Sex compared to rain. Awesome!
Yuniar
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Story of this book is really inspired me... It's all about my dreams... I wanna be like Lara Cameron... I wanna build so many buildings with name, so everybody can see what the hell I've created for this sucking world... 3 words that i always remember that written on that book are LOCATION, LOCATION, and LOCATION... that's the point! it's the best damn book that i ever have a read!
Samantha
Apr 17, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys reading instruction manuals of the hairdryer
Recommended to Samantha by: found it in the library
Boring and unoriginal. I don't even know why I read this book. I almost slept through the whole thing.
I kept on reading, thinking something exciting was going to happen - a wonderful 'Sidney Sheldon Twist' - but was terribly disappointed.
Concluding here... skip the book... only thing you'll lose is nothing.
Tanisha Mehta
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, adult
Pretty fine first Sidney Sheldon read considering I'd been avoiding the books for past 4 years
Ruhin Joyee
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it. The twist in the end was awesome.
Adebayo Adegbembo
Now, that's what you call a 5 star ending. Classic!
Shobhana
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sidney-sheldon
I felt Lara Cameron living my dreams!!!
Tiny Shen
Lara Cameron benar2 tau apa yang ia inginkan, dan jenius real estat.
Ga nyangka ternyata biang keladi dari semua masalah adalah orang terdekat Lara.
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
The Iron Butterfly would do everything - everything, including the use of her body - in order to get that prime location for her business deals. The Iron Butterfly if Lara Cameron, a modern day ruthless Cinderella who thinks and works like Trump and don't give a hick to what others would think, as long as she gets what she wants.

From rags to riches, from Nova Scotia to Chicago to New York, Lara Cameron is an enigma. She has been one of Sidney Sheldon's anti-hero protagonist heroine that you woul
Anitha Nallasivam
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women power as civil contractor from dark background
Dipesh Basnet
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my type but the book is LITTTT!!!
Leanne Hunt
For an insight into property development, this novel is great. I read it years ago and always remembered it as the book that inspired me with regard to buying, building and renovating spaces for living in. It is a story of courage, success, struggle and survival which leaves the reader feeling motivated to be part of the refurbishment of cities.

As light entertainment, Lara Cameron's story of rags to riches moves quickly and incorporates family drama, intrigue, romance and suspense. Sidney Sheldo
Ririn Marina
Breathtaking and sensual.
Sometimes you can't trust the people closest to you, when it involves the hearts and emotions.
Lara Cameron aimed to be successful, to build her own empire, to owe many buildings, to go against The Fate.
She proved to the world, it wasn't a fairytale when she migrated from rags to riches.
She worked very closely with Howard Keller for all her projects, but she failed to acknowledge his feelings and designs on her.
She got sexually involved with Paul Martin, being pampered an
Jun 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hate
Dakle ovo je definitivno bila loša knjiga za mene. Dobila sam je, tako da nisu bačene pare, ali prosto meni nije legla. Ne upoznajem se sa Šeldonom prvi put, Pesak vremena mi se jako dopao, ali ova knjiga prosto nema to nešto. Prvi problem je u glavnoj junakinji koja je za mene poremećeni primer uspeha, sve što je postigla i ja se na kraju vraćam odakle je ona zapravo krenula i to mi se ne dopada. Onda i samo kretanje priče, veći deo je o njenim poslovnim planovima u kojima se zapravno ništa ne ...more
Kate S
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, mom-library
Sidney Sheldon's books are such a guilty pleasure for me. I like the conniving characters and the variety of situations which are set up for his protagonists to overcome and even the crazy coincidences which mean success for the good guys. This was no exception, but there was nothing really new in this story and I did not like Lara as much as I liked Kate from Master of the Game or Tracey from If Tomorrow Comes, but still I enjoyed it enough.
L.  (My Woes, My Woes, They Continue To Grows)
I totally forgot I read this book until I was recently reminded. Shows how well the story stayed with me. What I do recall is I never did like the lead character. She never struck me as being strong despite what Mr. Sheldon was trying to accomplish. Her only weapon seemed to be her ability to fire anyone who pissed her off. Of course that meant they had to work for her first in order for her to achieve a passing appearance of power. People not on her pay roll were impervious to her cheap shots.
Aeron Trahaearn
this boo was really good....i enjoyed it a lot..
first off lara's life story is like really interesting especially her first deal. and again sydney sheldon strikes in this one...i was sooo sure paul martin was guilty but nooooo, it was the one person i wouldnt have suspected!!! i mean come on!! oh BTW thats how you figure out sydney sheldons mystery, if you suspect someone, let him go...check out the one who has nothing on him/her. plus dont suspect the spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend...
Anmol Nayyar
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With this novel, I bid farewell to Sheldon. He will always be my favourite author in thriller genre. The book was enthralling as I had expected. The plot gripping and the story a page turner. I feel proud to have read all of his books. But am going to miss reading him more. It's sad there won't be more from him. Sidney Sheldon, wherever you are, I am awe of your work. What a brilliant writer. Hats off to his remarkable talent of knitting such fine tales. Goodbye to stories from Sheldon. :(
Rico Paulo
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feminism is all over this novel and I am starting to doubt Sheldon's sexuality.

I know it's normal for a male author to have girls as protagonists in a story, but this one really eludes girl power. Anyway, with regard to its storyline, it's very unpredictable because for the longest time I've been reading Sheldons, he never failed to stun me with his clever twists.
Sai Kumar Dasari
Aug 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, covers-i-like
Amazing one...I was involved in the story...and I want to share a last dialogue which made me smile..Lara Suddenly remembered.'I have to fly back to Reno tonight!'
Philip looked at her and grinned.'I've never been to Reno...'...

Wow...
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 5 17 Jun 05, 2017 01:38AM
Sidney Sheldon is Awesome! 5 23 Feb 09, 2014 03:13AM
  • The Second Lady
  • Man, Woman, and Child
  • Honor Among Thieves
  • An Isolated Incident
  • The Rat-A-Tat Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #5)
  • Tycoon
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Tarnished Eye
  • A Little Death
  • Summer of the Red Wolf
  • Seni Sevmek İstemedim
  • The Architect (Frank Clevenger, #6)
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no
More about Sidney Sheldon...