Start by marking “Arabic-English Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Arabic-English Dictionary

Arabic-English Dictionary

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  279 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Its scholarship, accuracy and reliability make it one of the most significant contributions to Arabic lexicography. It is hoped that this masterpiece will point the way ot wider use of modern lexicographical principles in the compilation of dictionaries for earlier periods of the Arabic language.
Published January 1st 1993 by Spoken Language Services (first published December 1961)

Leftbanker
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who is studying Arabic
Shelves: reference
A truly amazing piece of scholarship and an invaluable tool for students of the Arabic language. It is a work of beauty and majesty. Yes, I realize that I am talking about a dictionary but it's the damn truth.
Riobhcah
May 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arabic
I was rather disgusted to find that this dictionary reads from left to right when Arabic is written and read from right to left. If you're serious about making this a good dictionary for a Semitic language that is a right-to-left one, why arrange it that way?
noreen
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Students of Arabic and Quran
Invaluable, a closest companion for a student of Arabic in Damascus. Would be nice to take it everywhere I went, but its a little bulky in the souks...a small pocket edition would be really handy. Arranged by FusHa root words, its very well organized and easy to use.
Lauren
Oct 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Arabic learners
Shelves: language
Incredibly easy to use, if you are familiar with your verb tables. It contains just about any FusHa root you could possibly need, assuming you're not looking for something so obscure that you need to use the full Hans Wehr. I just wish it had English-Arabic as well . . .
Nelson Lowhim
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great dictionary. really has most words you'll ever find. And it allows you to see the related words which helps those trying to learn Arabic. Also it crams a lot into its small size... helpful if you want to carry it around or travel with it.
Molly
It's a dictionary, so there's not much that can be said about it as a review. [return]The layout is acceptable and considering I'm most likely using it to verify my own knowledge, I can't really call it out on any errors.
lixy
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beware!! This Snowball edition is somewhat expurgated, so try and get the regular paperback edition of the absolute best Arabic dictionary--it's slightly more expensive but worth it.
Ian Nisbet
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent dictionary unparalleled in its comprehensiveness. Essential for the serious student of Arabic.
Lev
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Always reading
Mahmood
more than what i expected
John
Dec 23, 2008 added it
Quite possibly the best book ever. As far as Arabic-English dictionaries are concerned.
lixy
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arabic-language
The best Arabic dictionary--BUT make sure you get THIS edition, as the Snowball one is somewhat expurgated!
Katherine
Oct 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
It's a love hate relationship.
Peter Twele
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-east, arabic
I use my Hans Wehr dictionary regularly ... bought a copy in Jordan back in 1984, great resource.
Monsife
Clay
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students of Arabic
Excellent book, I can't imagine studing Arabic without it.
Ramey Moore
May 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is definitive. You need no other Arabic-English dictionaries than this for everything but the most archaic or obscure words.
trickgnosis
Aug 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Hans Wehr was my lifeline for years. An absolutely indispensable reference book.
Cathy
  • The Arabic Alphabet: How to Read & Write It
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Webster's New World Thesaurus
  • Random House Japanese-English English-Japanese Dictionary
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • Roget's II: The New Thesaurus
  • The Dictionary of Classical Mythology
  • Prayers for Forgiveness
  • Cassell Dictionary of Superstitions
  • Arabic Course for English-Speaking Students: Originally Devised and Taught at Madinah Islamic University (#1)
  • The Chambers Dictionary