Start by marking “A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)” as Want to Read:
A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)

A Dictionary of Symbols (Occult)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  560 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Humans, it's said, are symbolizing animals. At every stage of civilization, people have relied on symbolic expression, and advances in science and technology have only increased our dependence on symbols. The language of symbols is considered a science, and this informative volume offers an indispensable tool in the study of symbology. It can be used as a reference or simp ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Dover Publications (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about A Dictionary of Symbols, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dictionary of Symbols

A. Lundberg
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Okay, I didn't read it word for word, but I did go through the whole book. Yes, you can get a lot of this type of information online but it's handy to have it in book format both to flick through for inspiration and to do a quick check on particular words. I've used it as inspiration both for creative writing and for naming a company. It's not a bad idea to make sure your chosen name doesn't mean death or the root of all evil ;-)
Ola Loobeensky
A rose is not only a rose is not only a rose

Ponad dekadę temu bez opamiętania lataliśmy całą watahą dzieciaków po okolicznych blokach, spisując pracowicie kopiując do kajecików zagadkowe zdania oraz niezwykłe wizerunki: Punx not dead, umieszczony zaraz obok Skins not dead, Trust no one (pod rysunkiem dość przerażającego kosmity), anarchie, celtyki i inne frapujące bazgroły, produkowane przez naszych nieco bardziej posuniętych w latach kolegów. Zebrany materiał naukowy zanosiliśmy następnie do st
Izzy Strazzabosco
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
hope to read more in depth some day
Elizabeth
A Dictionary of Symbols (Hardcover)
by Juan Eduardo Cirlot

Dust Jacket in rough condition.
Jungian symbolism relates to the human experience of sexuality in both mind and body. Has a bibliography & index.
William Schram
This book discusses the particular symbols and ideas related to those symbols popular in everyday culture. It does this in a scholarly manner that is really interesting. Sometimes the entries are really short when you expect them to be pretty long. Take Prester John for instance. I know he was supposed to be some legendary King of Christendom back in the Middle Ages, but I never thought he would only have one sentence devoted to him. It covers all of the Tarot Cards, all weapons that I could thi ...more
Matthew
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
An unapologetically Jungian-inspired dictionary of symbols. In limited space, covers a number of cultural manifestations of each symbol, with a latent argument for some sort of generalizable meaning. Well-written with interesting art pieces. Particularly helpful for those interested in mythology or the archetypal quality of dreams.
Royce Ratterman
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it

Most books are rated related to their usefulness and contributions to my research.
Overall, a good book for the researcher and enthusiast.
Read for personal research
- found this book's contents helpful and inspiring - number rating relates to the book's contribution to my needs.
Chaotician
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is an awesome book. It's a part of the 25+ books i recieved for Christmas. It provides the knowledge which would enable someone to read pretty much anything. i don't understand why ben gates and riley didn't just buy this book instead of going to ben's mom.
Sara
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Rather boring.

***********

And I just read some other reviews of this book. I read this in the 90's and apparently, I'm just not feeling the love. Maybe this wasn't the right book at the right time.

I still own it, may have to revisit it.
Jana
Mar 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
Good basic reference for a "collective unconscious" version of symbolism. Can be applied toward art, literature, dreams and anything else that hits your radar. Good for reading more into children's and outsider art than probably necessary. Also fun just to open anywhere and read.
Mary Overton
One of my all time favorite reference books -- full of underlining, highlighting, and ancient, curled, annotated Post-It notes. I went to this book yesterday and realized I should add it to my library.
Dony Grayman
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arreglar, decto
Completo diccionario de símbolos con dibujitos, palabrejos, teorías locolotas y más.
Barbara
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pun - Schneider "to create a poetic pun is to jump over or annihilate the distance between two logical or spatial elements - to place under one yoke two elements which are naturally discrete.:
Ike Sharpless
I remember loving this book in high school, when I was in my 'read-every-reference-book-in-the-library-on-myth-and-cosmogony' phase...which lasted for at least a few years.
Parnell
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The book only covers a broad and generalized set of symbols but should be sufficient for casual interest. Each entry is well treated and the book, in general, is well written. A gem to have.
Gregory Stewart
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in symbolism
A fantastic overview of the meaning behind symbols and their meanings.
Carmen
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
I love books on symbols and so far, this one is my favorite.
Jenny Yates
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Endlessly fascinating. Kind of a bible for me.
Sandeep
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • Mythology
  • The Collected Works of C.G. Jung
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology: An A-Z Guide to the Myths and Legends of the Ancient World

Nonfiction Deals

• Hope and Other Luxuries: A Mother's Life with a Daughter's Anorexia
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Manic: A Memoir
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation