Start by marking “Stone Age Boy” as Want to Read:
Stone Age Boy

Stone Age Boy

Step back 15,000 years as a modern boy enters a Stone Age village and learns a few prehistoric tricks of the trade.

One day a boy falls down a hole, and an amazing thing happens — when he wakes, he’s in a camp full of people wearing animal skins! Mixing flight of fancy with prehistoric facts, Satoshi Kitamura ushers us back to a time of surprising innovation and artistic ex
Published October 9th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Age Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Age Boy

Ella
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great book which could be used in KS1 or lower KS2 as a book to base learning around. There are lots of learning opportunities around the book due to the story following factual aspects of the Stone Age. There is one particular page where there is a collage of jobs done in the Stone Age. I have seen this page used to inspire writing as well as alongside teaching of how people lived in the Stone Age. The story also allows for children to rewrite it, changing aspects for example, placing themselve ...more
Benjamin Smith
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative along with being a nice short story. Looking forward to our next topic on The Stone Age!
Den
Dec 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, children
A wonderful book which will help us introduce Stone Age to children.
I loved the sketches of the animals at the start and end of the book and feel children could use them as a starting point to find out which of those animals are still with us and which are now extinct and have a go at drawing one themselves.

It is a fictional story but has lots of facts incorporated into it - you discover all about life in the stone age without really having to try too hard.

It touches upon friendships and how you
Dolly
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun time-travel tale that takes a young boy back to The Stone Age, where he learns how cave people lived. The story is entirely predictable, but it's fun to read aloud.

We've been fans of Satoshi Kitamura for a long time, so we knew we'd enjoy the illustrations. And I really liked the author's note at the end of the book that explains the inspiration for the tale. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Peacegal
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
A modern child ventures into a time long ago when he meets and interacts with a Stone Age family.
The illustrations are interesting and educational, but I was disappointed that besides a brief reference to picking berries, the author only discusses food preparation and collection in terms of meat. Despite our fantasies of the mighty prehistoric hunter, researchers have found that our forebears did far more gathering than hunting.
Ruth
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice story with some detailed illustrations about stone age life. Easy to read and a nice intro to stone age life.
Kristen
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
There aren't many picture books that talk about life back in the pre-metal days. This one does a good job of explaining how people made tools and clothes, how they hunted and lived.
Kaitlin
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awards: N/A
Grade levels: pre-k-3
Summary: Step back in time and join a young boy as he learns all about prehistoric times. He falls down a young, only to wake up in a camp, full of people who are certainly not living where, or when, he is. By befriending Om, a little girl from the camp, he learns all about the lives and daily routines of prehistoric people.
Review: Full of “how to” information from making a fire to making a tool, this story teaches children about prehistoric times, while also fol
Nicki
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Key Stage 2 Teachers
Recommended to Nicki by: My Mentor
A great way to introduce the topic of the Stone Age to Year 3 children. It gives an overview of what it was like in the stone age and is set through a modern day child's eyes. I would definitely recommend this to all Key Stage 2 teachers.
Sparrows at Home
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fun story that relates to our study of the stone age era and cave painting. The children and I all enjoyed it.
Neo Cachia
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ellie Matthews
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story combined with lots of factual information on the Stone Age. Pictures are incredible, definitely using it with year 3/4 next term!
Natalie Rudolph
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Stone Age Boy (2007) Written and Illustrated by Satoshi Kitamura

This picture book tells the story of a regular boy who falls down into a hole in the woods and winds up in a whole different time period- the time of the stone age. He meets a stone age girl who introduces him to her family and her way of life. This present day boy sees things that he has never seen before and realizes just how different his life is in comparison to those who lived during the stone age. The story comes to an abrupt
Beth
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
17/09/18 Update:

Read this as an introduction to archaeology and archaeological digs. It was a great transition activity from RE to history. They enjoyed it and related it back to our real-life Stone Age Day.
___________________________
I can't wait to share this with my class - 4*

I think I prefer this to Ug: Boy Genius of the Stone Age but I think that book is more appropriate to Y4. I really, really enjoyed this and I think I can get a lot out of the illustrations. I think Stone Age Boy will b
Mrs G
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant picture book for introducing a Stone Age topic. A simple story which combines time traveling adventure with historical facts. I used this with my y3 class who wrote their own stories based on this one. Great.
Teri-mae Delay
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rdg-goodreads
This book is about a young boy who is wandering around the woods, when suddenly he's falling down, down, down. A lot like Alice in Wonderland. This young boy, however, stumbles upon a girl- in the stone age. He learns many things like how to make a spear, clothing and how to hunt and fish. One day the young girl, Om, takes the young boy to a cave to look at cave drawings. While in the cave they face a bear. When all of a sudden the floor gives way and the boy starts falling down, down, down. Whe ...more
msrouse
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Good choice for kids who are interested in the Stone Age and how people lived during that time period in history. This non-fiction picture book has a time line, index, and a two page spread that shows how Stone Age people did different tasks and jobs such as making a fire, making and using tools, preparing & using animal skins, and preparing & cooking food. Also the author provides a note that explains their inspiration for writing.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, stone-age
The story of a boy who falls down a hole in a cave and finds himself transported back in time to the Stone Age. He finds a friend and learns a lot of the people of that era. Eventually he gets home by falling down in a hole in the cave again. He parents tell him he must have been dreaming because he was only gone for a few hours.

Average illustrations.
Susan
Sep 18, 2014 added it
Nay picked this one up for us, and we read it and read it and read it. This is probably my first real kids' archaeology picture book. Still not sure how I feel about it, but the 4-year-old loved it and it felt like this book is to anthropologists what "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" is to meteorologists. :)
Aurélien Thomas
A nice mix between story book and information book, 'Stone Age Boy' is great for young kids to learn about the prehistoric era. Clear and straightforward informations, very good pictures and, not devoid of fun and adventures, here's not only a good way for children to discover how people lived at that time but, also to compare such way of life to theirs nowadays. Clever and very interesting.
M Lee
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book tells a story of a boy who accidentally time traveled to the stone age and made friends with a group of people living in caves. There is a nice educational page about how people lived during the stone age and the things they have. The illustrations are great. Perhaps, the book is suitable for older kids who can understand time-travel and the different periods of history.
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this picture book that follows a young boy through a visit to a group of prehistoric peoples, particularly because it avoided the stereotypes that frequently are associated with these groups. (women cook and prepare food, men hunt and guard)
Year 3
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full of lots of interesting information about the Stone Age.
Alicia Thompson
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: homeschool, sotw
As a stand-alone book, I would give this three stars. When considering its place in my homeschool curriculum, four stars.
Kelly
Both kids age 5&8 enjoyed this book. There is a great page describing how they made tools,fires,and food.
Meredith Walsh
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wonder filled. Fiction and fact. My child four year old was entirely captivated by the making of needles from antlers.
Rachel
Feb 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
great for homeschooling/learning about the stone age. The kids love it, and it has accurate info (according to my limited knowledge!)
Kim
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sotw1
Cute and informative.
Alex
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great detail within this book of what stoneage life may have been like, all from the perspective of a boy. This makes it more relateable for children.
Nicki Fairman
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Used this book with my year 3 class as a model text for portal story writing. It’s about a young boy who gets transported back to the Stone Age - so many cross-curricular links to be made! Highly recommend.

• Scoot!
  • Built to Last
  • Planting the Trees of Kenya: The Story of Wangari Maathai
  • Leonardo and the Flying Boy
  • Belle, The Last Mule at Gee's Bend: A Civil Rights Story
  • Nelson Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
  • Attack at the Arena (Imagination Station, #2)
  • Silent Music: A Story of Baghdad
  • The Color of Home
  • Alia's Mission: Saving the Books of Iraq
  • Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest
  • A Street Through Time
  • We All Went on Safari
  • Lives of the Scientists: Experiments, Explosions (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Who Was First?: Discovering the Americas
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Rescued Jews During the Holocaust
  • The Hungry Coat: A Tale from Turkey
  • Stick
Satoshi Kitamura has won several awards, including the Mother Goose Award, the National Art Library Award from the Victoria and Albert Museum, and a Nestle Children’s Book Prize Silver Medal. He lives in Japan.