Start by marking “All You Need for a Snowman” as Want to Read:
All You Need for a Snowman

All You Need for a Snowman

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  539 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
One small snowflake fluttering down--
That's all you need for a snowman.
     Or is it? In these pages, an exuberant crew is summoned to create a snowman of heroic proportions.
Published November 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about All You Need for a Snowman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All You Need for a Snowman

Shanshad Whelan
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute book for this time of year, but a tough one to read aloud to an audience since the words wander around the page and don't always flow as you expect them to. Still, it's a decent snowman book.
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
J
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
That is one big snowman. How did they even find a broom that big? Anyway, the art in this is just lovely, and the kids I read this to got really excited about it and started talking about how they wanted to build a snowman.
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This beautifully illustrated story is in rhyme. It takes the reader from the first snowflake, through the fun process of building a big snowman after enough snow falls. Children work at rolling the snow into balls large enough to make a snowman, and they all add the extra things needed. When it starts snowing again they gave the fun of building a friend for the first one.
This is a fun story for young readers and pre-readers to enjoy and want to build their own snowman.
Cassandra Gelvin
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
But-- what-- I don't--

This book is just irritating. It keeps changing its mind and not settling on anything. "One small snowflake/fluttering down--/that's all you need/for a snowman./EXCEPT.../eight million more..." It just gets out of control, all the various things you need for a snowman. It keeps saying that it's simple, and then makes it really complex. It's like, of course you can't build a snowman with a single snowflake. That would just be weird. It would be a snowflake-man. But it keeps
Courtney
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ed-310
Alice Schertle takes the reader step-by-step through the snowman-making process. At the beginning she says, "One small snowflake fluttering down... two more snowflakes... three flakes... four... five... six... seven thousand... eight million more..." I love how she tries to illustrate how many teeny tiny little snowflakes make up just one ball of snow. It's crazy when you look at it like that!

Then you need to make two more balls- a middle-sized ball and a small-sized ball. Then the snowman need
Aleece
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is very similar to the author's other title, All You Need for a Beach but it does the trick for a snow themed story. The story puts a fun spin on how a snowman is built from the millions and billions of snowflakes.

This is a cute story about how snowflakes can be packed together to make balls to be then stacked on top of each other to make a snowman. Then of course you have to dress the snowman. While there are stories out there about snowmen there are not as many out there about building a
Vivian
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The large format makes this a great choice for sharing in a library story time. I like how it involves the children by posing statements such as "ONE small snowflake fluttering down -- that's all you need for a snowman." (At the very bottom of the page there's the word EXCEPT in all caps, but I asked a question instead -- "RIGHT?"). The children process this quickly and respond, "NO!"

It's a very fun story, each page building on the previous one. In the end you turn the book vertically to show a
Christine Turner
One small snowflake fluttering down...That's all you need for a snowman. Or is it?

In these pages, an exuberant crew is summoned to create a snowman of heroic proportions. Starting with the very first flake, Alice Schertle's clever and energetic rhyming text details the steps these little sculptors take to create a chilly chum.

Barbara Lavallee's bold and lively illustrations overflow with brisk winter energy. Snow, colorful clothes, and a dash of the miraculous combine to shape a winter experie
Ccl Children's
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Just one snowflake...is that all you need to create a snowman? This rhyming book lists many items that can be used to build a snowman. Do you need one big snowball or two or three, bottle caps for the eyes and mittens? What else does a snowman need to be complete? This a a good book for children who are excited about building their own snow friend. ~Miss April

Find it in our catalog: http://catalog.ccls.org/search~S1?/ta...-
Deidra
Dec 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: final-project
Written by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Barbara Lavallee. Published by Silver Whistle, Harcourt, Inc., copyright 2002.

Grade level: 1st or 2nd

All you need for a snowman is a snowflake... and a bit more! This story starts off with what you need for the simplest snowman, to the most extravagent.

Kids will like this story, especially during the winter, since it has a building theme. The materials needed keeps growing and growing!

Possible themes/units: winter, friends and fun, christmas, building th
Connie
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
We start with one snowflake, which is ALL you need for a snowman, except... more snowflakes. And a snowball. And more snowballs, and clothes and all.

Love the artwork, love the bouncy rhymes, this is a great book, nice and short for the preschool set. I'm going to pass it off to my local pre-k, I think they'll get a lot of use out of it - and I'm *definitely* buying "All You Need For a Beach" to go with it later this year!
Ramanda Flannery
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book is about making a snowman! It shows you all the things you will need to make a snowman while rhyming. It takes you through the steps of making a snowman and shows you how to actually build one.
I would use this book with a lesson on the different seasons. I would also use this book with a health lesson because it is all about being outside and being active and that is what we need to do to keep our bodies healthy.
Cathy
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
One small snowflake fluttering down--
That's all you need for a snowman. Or is it?

Fun for Kinder and first graders - simple, yet with a jaunty fling to its rhythm.

Note - look for the missing mouth on the first snowman , but see him smile when he finds a friend - a first grader noticed that cute detail. :)
Ina
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
The colorful illustrations in this book are great fun as a group of kids (not very ethnically diverse) build a giant snowman. The text playfully lists everything one needs to build a snowman, "one small snowflake fluttering down - that's all you need for a snowman….EXCEPT" turn the page and there's more. My story time audience loved this device... This book captures all the joy of building a snowman in a colorful, playful way.
Kimberly
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: onceuponatime
A gift to my son (3.5) from The Book Fairy. Great story for kids intrigued with snow men and all aspects of building them. The art is good, but all of the kids have faces that are half black and half white. Nice concept, but a little bit odd to look at. Kidn of creepy if you think about it too hard.
Dolly
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
This is a fun tale about building a snowman. Our girls saw snow for the first time this winter and they had so much fun building little snowmen (we haven't had that much snow yet!) This is an enchanting, rhythmic story about children working together to create a big snowman (and a friend) with lots of accessories.
Meg McGregor
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The text is very cute and engaging and little readers will love hearing it!

But it is definitely the gorgeous illustrations by Barbara Lavalle, that make this book, a favorite of mine!

You can simply get lost in the pictures just like you do in her other books, notably, Mama, Do You Love Me?
The Brothers
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: snow, snowmen
A really fun book about what you need for a snowman. "All you need is a well-rolled snowflake ball... EXCEPT." With each page something new comes up that you need to build a snowman.

Fun illustrations too.
Meg McGregor
The text is very cute and engaging and little readers will love hearing it!

Katie Plumley
* Great for sequencing! In what order do you build a snowman?

* Counting: How many different items do we need for a snowman?

* Have class "build" a snowman after reading this, then write a persuasive article about why a snowman needs a specific item!
Maria Kiguthi
The best part of the book is the except. Basically you are building a snowman and listing all the things needed. My son thought the faces in the pictures were a little strange and scary since they look half one color and half the other.
Hye Eun
Apr 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: season, rhyme
This is a good rhyming book that can be read to the children during winter. They are making a snowman and is naming all the things that they need on a snowman. You can have children pick out the rhyming words in the story.
Amanda
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry
This would be a good and simple read for the younger students and winter. The text has a rhythm to it that makes it easy to read. Also, it shows the students order and how important putting things in the right order is. I Felt this book was a very easy read and I like the illustrations.
Jess
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, z_16
I loved reading this to kindergarten. Just fun and wonderful and the kids like it, all of 'em. They also point out that he doesn't have a mouth, which is true and odd since he has so many other accessories. But, them's the breaks and you should read this snowman story.
Samantha
My favorite snowman book! Starting with just a single snowflake text and readers build a snowman. Rhyming text is a perfect read aloud paired with watercolor and gouache artwork.

Try this story on a flannelboard for PreK-2.
Rosa Cline
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, winter
This is a simple written storybook more of a picture book for young readers and listeners. The drawings are big and colorful to capture young children's attention.
Renae
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Christmas book day 14
Sandybear76
Kindergarten class got a bonus library time today. This was one of the slecetins. They enjoyed it. They were guessing what the snowman would have on next.
Angela
  • Snowballs
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • The Snow Day
  • Snow
  • There Was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow!
  • One Winter's Day
  • Plant a Kiss
  • One Mitten
  • Jingle-Jingle
  • Snow
  • Up, Down, and Around
191218
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle...