Start by marking “Before You Get Your Puppy” as Want to Read:
Before You Get Your Puppy

Before You Get Your Puppy

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
When you choose a new puppy, you need to meet six developmental deadlines before your puppy is just five months old. "BEFORE You Get Your Puppy" covers the first three developmental deadlines covering the period of puppy selection until your puppy's first week at home.

1st Developmental Deadline: Your Education About Puppy Education - Before you search for a puppy you need
ebook, PDF, 104 pages
Published July 29th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Before You Get Your Puppy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before You Get Your Puppy

Hilary
This book is available either in print or as a free PDF on Dogstar Daily.

Ian Dunbar is considered by many to be the father of modern dog training. His techniques are repeated by many more popular books, and some now seem so obvious as to be common sense. Of course, common sense isn't all that common, so errors still persist in many people's dog handling. Something as simple as encouraging the dog to eliminate prior to going on a walk so that the dog will view the walk as reward rather than hol
Георги  Бранкованов (Grim)
На първо, четене тази книга дава привидно разумни съвети. Скоро ще разберем дали и на практика са такива.
Michelle
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dog-training
I think that I will not be a fan of Dunbar's works. His writing is the cornerstone for much of the behavior training we now have today, and it is important---but reading his two free books left a bad taste in my mouth. He comes across as a fear-mongerer, demanding perfection and adamant that any mistakes spells utter destruction!! Maybe he was trying to have some kind of dry humor or something? Honestly, there are better books with a much more realistic view (patricia mcconnell, brenda aloff, je ...more
Crystal Sissons
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We are anticipating the arrival of our puppy in less than a week. This book was recommended by a dear friend, and it was so helpful! I have had two dogs, but the suggestions here will change how we welcome our new pup! If you are planning to get a new puppy, this is a must read!
Sarah Draughon
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new pet parents, dog owners, adopters, ve
Every veterinarian, breeder, training professional and pet parent should be familiar with and working hard at the deadlines mentioned in this book. If a breeder hasn't started working with their puppies at a very young age, they are set up for failure and ultimately are more likely to have behavioral issues that will result in euthanization.

This should be required reading for anyone getting a puppy - regardless of whether or not they are from a reputable breeder, pet store, backyard breeder, or
Janis Lai
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-summer
The tone is a bit too judgmental in my opinion, most puppy books are a bit more encouraging rather than accusatory. I understand getting a puppy is a very very big decision that most people take much lighter than it should be, so perhaps since I already read multiple puppy books this one just seems a bit too negative to me. Good information especially regarding the developmental deadlines.
João Victor
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Útil na criação de um cachorro mais equilibrado, é um livro bastante conciso. Existem outras opções com maior grau de detalhamento abordando o assunto. As dicas ainda assim são valiosas, vale a leitura. Só não espere ter todos os problemas resolvidos apenas com essa leitura.
Jenny
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
good advice, but I'm not getting my puppy a "litter box"
Horacio
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Se lee rápido. Buenos consejos muy prácticos y bien explicados. Un poco extremos sus métodos y el tono no da margen de error.
Michele
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent primer on puppyhood! I keep it on my bookshelf and re-read it every several years - whenever I get a new puppy!
Paul
Mar 10, 2014 rated it liked it
A good book, with some interesting and helpful hints and advice. Some recommendations seem a little extreme, but for the most this book is full of useful advice.
Christina
Dec 08, 2016
Ginger
Feb 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Veterinarian, animal behaviorist, and dog trainer, Dr. Ian Dunbar received his veterinary degree and a Special Honors degree in Physiology & Biochemistry from the Royal Veterinary College (London University) plus a doctorate in animal behavior from the Psychology Department at UC Berkeley, where he researched the development of social hierarchies and aggression in domestic dogs.

He has authored