Start by marking “The Complete Long Stories of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
The Complete Long Stories of Sherlock Holmes

The Complete Long Stories of Sherlock Holmes

(Sherlock Holmes #1-2,5,7)

Present in this omnibus edition, are four unabridged novels of Baker Streets most famous resident – Sherlock Holmes and his confidant and aide, Dr. Watson. The saga of their adventures begin right from the time they are first introduced to each other by a certain “young stamford” to share rooms in Baker Street, where Watson chronicled their first adventure ‘A Study in ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Jaico Publishing House (first published 1966)

Start your review of The Complete Long Stories of Sherlock Holmes
Fred Klein
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This volume provides all four Sherlock Holmes novels with loads and loads of annotations that provide historical and literary context and definitions, plus some inconsistencies. I am new to Sherlock Holmes and enjoyed how the annotations helped me understand some things I otherwise wouldn't. I could not read all (indeed, most) of the annotations because that would take an incredible amount of time. Yes, the volume is also large and not easy to carry around in traditional book format. I'd say ...more
Anthony McGill
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-crime
The ultimate in Sherlock Holmes collections. I have collected many different publishing versions of these four novels by Arthur Conan Doyle since my schooldays. This mammoth Norton publication needs to be read and studied at home - just too big to lug around on public transport or whatever.
The research involved with the annotations is phenomenal and this along with the illustrations from the original magazines plus book covers and images from the period are just amazing.
A must for all
Morgan
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't read these books because I've seen a movie or a TV show, in fact, I've never cared for them. I've seen a few Sherlock Holmes adaptations, but never liked any of them expect for the Great Mouse Detective. I've always liked his character, but the book version. Before read the actual books, I just felt like everything I've seen was off. The issue: most of the adaptations are more like a grab bag taking things they like and leaving out things that bother them making it too kid friendly or ...more
Miss Bookiverse
A Study in Scarlet
I really enjoyed this introduction to the characters of Holmes and Watson. The case was interesting, too, but I was a bit disappointed with Holmes' deduction of it because in the middle of the book you get this expansive backstory of the murderer that reads like a story within a story but this is not part of the deduction and it's not explained where it is supposed to come from or if the characters are even aware of it. Also, WTF, Sherlock, you can't just poison a dog, no
Suzy
This was a great companion to my recent Sherlock Holmes binge, in which I listened to A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of the Baskervilles. The illustrations from the original publications and annotations contained in this volume added so much to my enjoyment of those books. It also introduced me to Sherlock Holmes scholarship; dozens of experts have studied and written about Holmes and company and turn-of-the 20th-Century London as if they were actual people instead of the conjuring of Sir ...more
Alissa
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are great detective novels. I loved it. One of the better mysteries I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Hannah
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a Sherlock Holmes fan. I have discovered that I'm not a true lover or obsessor because when I read critiques or essays, I realize how much I don't know. But I am a fan. During his writing of Sherlock, Sir Conan Doyle wrote four novels about Holmes. The rest were short stories. And reading all four of them in a row has given me much to ponder.

#1 - I did indeed discover the inconsistencies that Doyle is famous for. In the the first novel where we meet everyone, Watson talks about getting shot
Maureen
Jul 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: holmes
I am currently reading these four novellas in this new annotated volume, which is a revelation and highly recommended. Below is my basic review of these four novella-length stories.

A Study in Scarlet, is actually two stories woven into one. In the first, Holmes and Watson meet for the first time, and one of the greatest working relationships in all of fiction begins. Watson recounts a case of murder where a body was found in a slum in Brixton, with the word "RACHE" carved above the body. The
Jon
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After visiting Reichenbach Falls a few months ago, I decided to brush up my Sherlock Holmes, starting at the beginning. So far the first two novels, A Study in Scarlet, and The Sign of Four, have been a disappointment. The stories seem to have been written rapidly and inattentively, with a number of inaccuracies and inconsistencies, and the level of writing is just barely so-so. Actions that go beyond the plot--for example Watson's love-at-first-sight of Mary Morstan--are a little embarrassing ...more
Nyx
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The illustrations included in this edition were very well drawn, albeit a bit too dark at times. Other than that, the editor must have fallen asleep at about a few pages before the end of the book, because there were several annoying and quite obvious typos. "McMurdy" instead of "McMurdo" comes to mind, as well as "cmpany" instead of "company". I don't know if this is only an issue with my copy.
Jay Joshi
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and suspence story telling novel, never bores you for a minute and keeps addictive to reading it. I had hoped that it never ends.
Ish
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was such a good read ! The whole set of stories are in a way kind of novels them selves. The amazing detective stories of sherlock and the adventure by watson makes it so interesting to read. The every single detail provided by Sherlock leaves your mind appreciating the art to deduction so much ! Every reader should definetly give it a try and you would end up liking it i am sure about that !
James
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a complete surprise as a Christmas gift and what a gift it is! I have already read all the Canon at least once and most many times [ I read the Hound of the Baskervilles EVERY October along with The Scarlet Pimpernell as a birthday gift to myself]. This guy goes into Victorian life and customs and really opens up what sometimes the modern reader is forced to skip over. I could not recomend these 3 editions any more highly.
SenazNasansia Muliawan
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to read good novels
Shelves: fiction
One word... Superb!
It's the best fiction novel about detective ever..
I absolutely recommend this book to all of you who like good novels.
I myself basically don't like detective novels. Except for this one.
Sir Arthur is definitely brilliant when it comes to describing the adventures of Sherlock and Dr. Watson.
I can't stop reading it. Curiosity is the key. And Sir Arthur seems to know his reader like it.

Michael Perkins
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
was tempted to give this volume three stars. Doyle was not a particularly good novelist, whether with the Holmes versions or his long forgotten medieval romances. The short story was definitely his métier.
Bonnie Dale Keck
Have read all of Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and probably others as well, just never bothered to put them in to amazon or goodreads, so dates wrong. Some KU some paperback some hardback some collections.
Cerize Sicat
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm in love with Sherlock and Dr. Watson more. The illustrations are all so good.
Alexis Hubsky
The Hound of the Baskervilles 4/5

I liked this one a lot more than the other two novels in the collection. It was interesting and I couldn't really predict what was going to happen. I also really liked the Sherlock wasn't in most of it. His character is a little much for me I think."

The Sign of Four 3/5

This installment into the Sherlock Holmes series was interesting. I liked the mystery of it a lot more than the previous one. I just had a little issue of the rampant racism in it. Victorian
Palak
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book other than what has already been spoken? Sherlock Holmes is a character immortalized in history by Arthur Conan Doyle. You think of a detective and Sherlock Holmes has to come to your mind. Such a popular character that even now he is a center of many TV shows and movies. And its not just Sherlock Holmes, but also Watson, the trusted friend who has become synonymous with detective sidekicks.

Overall, it is very easy to read and follow, as the English is not at all
Heather
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Study in Scarlet-3/5
Great introduction to Sherlock Holmes, I just didn't care for the split plot. Also, I wasn't all that impressed with the 'big reveal'.

The Sign of Four-4/5
I really liked this novel. Very atmospheric and suspenseful.

The Hound of Baskervilles-5/5
Fantastic mystery start to finish! No surprise this is the most famous Sherlock Holmes story.

The Valley of Fear-4/5
Really really enjoyed the first half of the novel. It felt more like the modern murder mystery novels that I'm used to.
Leena Althekair
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Sherlock Holmes novels are always fantastic. The Valley of Fear focused a little more on the backstory rather than the mystery, but overall all the mysteries were fantastic and a gripping, spectacular read.

I only wish I bought the books individually - carrying this thing around was exhausting, the proof being taking me 1.5 years to finish it!
Charlie Miksicek
After reading so many Sherlock Holmes knock offs, it was good to go back and read some of the originals. The annotations are really valuable for understanding Holmes' time and place and the connections between to different books. A large and heavy volume though, not a beach read.
Kirsty McCracken
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally struck the last of the Sherlock stories off my list with this collection! Even if it is actually 992 pages long, and not the 500something Goodreads says it is.
Spencer Didlake
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a slow start, all four of these books leave you wanting more. Very easy to see why there has been so many adaptations of these stories.
Chris
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the Sherlock Holmes equivalent to the Riverside Shakespeare! Huge, dense, and extremely detailed
Mary
I much prefer the short stories.
Linda
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
It doesn't explain everything but it comes closest of all annotated editions. A must have if you are reading it for the first time.
Anita
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A classic that you must read. However, I usually wandered away from the plot. Do not expect an entirely easy read on this one, but otherwise amazing.
Pages & Cup
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved rereading these Holmes stores.
Neil Randall
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You can't beat dipping into this book if you have it on your bookshelf. Never ceases to entertain me.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • The Clockwork Ghost (York, #2)
  • A Half Baked Love Story
  • Tinkle Digest 42
  • Tinkle Digest 17
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • A PREARRANGED LOVE
  • Catch Me? No You Can't!
  • Nothing Lasts Forever: No Secret can Stay Buried..
  • Stories of India
  • Creative Doodle Colouring - Patterns
  • Undone
  • Tinkle Digest 47
  • Python: For Beginners: A Crash Course Guide To Learn Python in 1 Week (coding, programming, web-programming, programmer)
  • CBSE Sample Question Papers Class 10 Mathematics (Standard) For February 2020 Exam
  • Le notti bianche - La cronaca di Pietroburgo
  • Tinkle Digest 34
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, a talented illustrator, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is

Sherlock Holmes (9 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet
  • The Sign of Four (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Hound of the Baskervilles
  • The Return of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Valley of Fear
  • His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8)
  • The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
“Take a pinch of snuff, doctor, and acknowledge that I have scored over you in your example.” 6 likes
“You do not know her, but she has a soul of steel. She has the face of the most beautiful of women, and the mind of the most resolute of men.” 1 likes