Start by marking “The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters” as Want to Read:
The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  280 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Who would you date if you had a time machine?

Lucy's love life needs a boost. When she isn't flirting with the gorgeous guy at the newsstand, she's daydreaming about torrid affairs with Lord Byron and George Clooney, anyone but her boyfriend Anthony. So she does what any sensible woman would do: she steals a time machine and tracks down the great lovers of the past. From Ca
Published January 29th 2008 by Plume (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Lucy's Love Life in Ten and a Half Chapters

Mar 12, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could have given this book 2.5 stars. Overall, the story was nice (though I did have the urge to beat the heroine about the head for being so indecisive). She ends up with exactly who you think she will be, though they take a long time getting to it. My biggest complaint about this book is the time traveling. It was hard for me to suspend belief enough that she could just get into the time machine and end up exactly where she wanted to be and run into all the right people. There were al ...more
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel, romance
A delightful read from start to finish brimming with Joie d'vivre and spiced with a little craziness. As we travel with Lucy to meet the men she imagines she fancies from the past we are shown beguiling glimpses into unlikely corners of history giving the reader a flavour, just a flavour of what it might have been like to be there, and there, and there. Lucy's frequent faux pas and innate mischeavousness spice up the action. Anything goes....

Wright's lightness of touch masks a deep well of know
Dec 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-flic
I read it during my (extremely boring)summer vacations! I stumbled across it by accident..i was browsing through the British Library in Delhi and i loved it!!I finished it in a day (boring vacation indeed) and then re-read it slowly!

The story starts with a depressed Lucy who had just broken up with her boyfriend and unsure about relationships. And then she finds a time-machine which takes her back in time, to romance famous men in history...
I have never come across such a bizzare combination of
Fraser Sherman
Feb 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
Chick lit isn't usually my thing, but then again I've read paranormal chick lit that I enjoyed, so maybe it's not me. Then again, I've read a lot of time travel material for my book on time-travel films, and even if I hadn't, there's nothing terribly new in this: Lucy's getting cold feet about her seemingly perfect boyfriend, so she uses a time machine to check out Byron and other great lovers, and has the typical comical mishaps about adapting to the past. Wright's style is competent, but there ...more
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I read this immediately after "Bookends" and LOVED IT. I really connected with the main character as I remembered having the same conflicting emotions in my head while back in the dating game. I also enjoyed the message it gave, very "Austenland" in that reality never matches the fantasy, but that's okay. We can deal with imperfection in life. I also loved the fact that it showed Lucy's relationship with her boyfriend thoroughly, beginning to end, and they didn't just magically get together on t ...more
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2008
I loved the first two-thirds of this book in a way I haven't loved chick lit in a very long time. The idea that a typical chick-lit protagonist (witty, well-dressed, just out of a relationship) could, via a time machine, interact with Lord Byron, Leonardo da Vinci, and Ovid, among others, was fresh and interesting. Byron and Keats fighting for Lucy's affections was a particularly inspired touch. It was a charming and original blend of slapstick and trivia...until the plot started to crumble. The ...more
Eleanor King
Never have I been so infuriated with a narrator before in my entire reading life. Sure, sometimes I feel like I can't connect with a narrator, or sometimes I can't seek any redeeming qualities in them but Lucy went beyond that. It was a struggle to read. She went from going on and on and on about how she wants to be a strong independant woman who doesn't need a man, as having one would just hinder her feminine potential, but then is completely smitten with the guys she meets who are utter douche ...more
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: time-travel
I love time travel and this book caught my eye right away, even in the Dollar Tree store. It wasn't great, but it was worth the price of admission. What really amused me about the book was that I had somewhat the same idea once upon a time when I wanted to write. A girl is bored with her current boyfriend, even though he's a good guy, because he isn't romantic enough for her. She travels in time only to find out she actually has a good deal back in her own time. This heroine was a little whiney ...more
Jun 05, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked up this book, I assumed it was standard chic-lit, which usually doesn't disappoint. I quickly discovered that the book is built on the unrealistic premise that time travel is possible. Not wanting to pre-judge, I decided to keep reading. The author included lots of historical information about the periods Lucy was traveling to and the people she met.

However, because of the time machine, I just couln't relate to the main character. Chic-lit heroines learn something about thems
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be surprisingly thoughtful, romantic, and good. It's not the typical thing I would pick up to read, so to be honest I was expecting to be bored. However, both my sisters nagged me, so finally I started it. The time travel element was also a lot more exciting then I thought, and I thought that Lucy reminded me a lot of myself(a couple years ago) with her fears and emotions towards commitment. I would highly recommend this to almost any woman, since it helps us to think about ...more
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting, if wordy, book about a woman with a time machine and a fear of commitment. While I didn't identify with ALL of Lucy's issues, I thought she was a very honest representation of what if. I did enjoy the book for the most part. I probably wouldn't have gone back in time to see the men she did - but I can see the appeal in each of them and I think she learns her lessons well throughout it.
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The idea behind the book was great, but like many of the reviews I read, I agree that the lead female was frustrating, thinking one thing and always doing the opposite. Anyhow, I liked the historical figures that played into the story, even traveling back to the future with her. I gave it 3 stars for it's entertainment value and uniqueness, but 2 lacking stars are for her obnoxious choices..
Dec 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-library
An easy funny read. A love story and like in a soap unbearable dragging sometimes, so it was hard stopping to read. The time machine gives the story a science fictional touch but it is really about the main character and her fear of moving on in life. I liked the characters and was glad that finally everything worked out just fine. A girls story.
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in an old and very small book shop at the coast of southern England. As natively German it was very easy to read and understand, so I fell in love with the story and could totally identify with the protagonist. A recommendation to all romantics and realists out there, because that book offers both.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good idea for a nice, quirky romance with some historical touches, but it was just too drawn out, and Lucy is just annoying in her failure to see how great Anthony is and then inability to tell him once she realizes it. Too much like My Best Friend's Wedding and probably other movies that I am not familiar with. Just skimmed the middle, checked the ending and moved on to the next book.
Rosie Ellen
Not exactly your average 'chicklit' story, what with the time travel and all that, but ended up being fairly generic after a promising start. Too long to sustain the plot device, it got old and tired by 'Casanova' and was fairly predictable in the end. If it had been a 100 pages shorter, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more.
Jul 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I thought this would be a fun silly read and grabbed it at the Library on a whim. It was, but had me so engrossed I finished it in a day. There is something about her relationships that grab you. My only question is, why would a woman who is brave enough to time travel chicken-out at the very end?
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
This book started off with a cute premise but sadly got old. It is about 3 chapters too long. By the time Casanova came along I was was about to chunk the book. Lucy, although meant to be a likable character is really quite selfish. More of a 2.5 star book.
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was pretty cute, it would be a good beach read. It mentions passages from various literary works and has several quotes from authors (especially Byron), but is basically light-hearted and amusing.
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I knew this book was a girly, trashy read when I picked it up. It was just a bit too ridiculous and obvious for me, and took quite a while to finish it because I had no desire to pick it back up once I sat it down.
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
So far, so good. I like the idea of time travel so that is what got me interested in this one. Sometimes I wish Lucy would just get over her commitment issues and make it with Anthony but then the book would be over, so we will see what happens. I bet that's what happens-hahaha.
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Enjoyable, quick but as far as time travel books good, it was a bit of a let down. This book was boring at the beginning, interesting in the middle, and contrived at the end. Not an awful waste of time but I wouldn't rush out to find it either.
Dec 29, 2008 rated it it was ok
Although preposterous, this book was entertaining and held my interest. Definitely worth checking out from the library if you want an escape from reality and don't have issues with things that can't really happen.
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
I picked up this book because I liked the authors name. But it was just OK, not great. I had a hard time getting interested in the heroine - she was kind of whiny and victimy. I had to force myself to finish it, I got bored about 3/4 of the way through, but wanted to find out what happened.
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Good premise, slow, slow read.
May 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Frivolous and fun, and I actually did learn a thing or two about historical figures. Who'd'a thunk?
Sep 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this book and could not put the book down but i thought the ending was not all that.
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
A little chick lit never hurt anybody! I like yo ready pretty much anything I can get my hands on, and this was a quick and silly little book. Entertaining, but not life-changing.
Ann Mulholland
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
i liked this book. lucy has a time machine and uses it to meet her fantasy men.....but along the way she has to decide between fantasies and real life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • If I Were You
  • The Gorgeous Georgians (Horrible Histories)
  • Lost for Words
  • To Bed With Grand Music
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • Faster Pastor (St. Dale, #3)
  • You Drive Me Crazy
  • Ghostbusters, Volume 3: Haunted America
  • A Futile and Stupid Gesture: How Doug Kenney and National Lampoon Changed Comedy Forever
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • Flowers for Her Grave (Grim Reaper Mystery, #3)
  • The Nightspinners
  • take a chance
  • The Dairy Queen
  • Out of the Blue
  • The Rock & Roll Queen of Bedlam: A Wise-Cracking Tale of Secrets, Peril, and Murder!
  • Choral Society
  • The Thornthwaite Inheritance (Thornthwaite, #1)
Deborah Wright was born in the UK in 1974. Her first novel, Olivia's Bliss, won the Poolbeg/Ireland on Sunday bestseller competition in 2000. She went on to publish a number of magical romantic comedies, including The Rebel Fairy, a modern version of 'A Midsummer Night's Dream' and Under My Spell, a romance about witchcraft, with Little Brown. Her most recent novel was 'Swimming With Dolphins' (He ...more
More about Deborah Wright...

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99