Start by marking “Adventures in Music and Culture: Travels of an Ethnomusicologist in West Africa” as Want to Read:
Adventures in Music and Culture: Travels of an Ethnomusicologist in West Africa

Adventures in Music and Culture: Travels of an Ethnomusicologist in West Africa

Travels of an Ethnomusicologist in West Africa
“Read this book if you love music, culture or travel. Read this book to find out what God is doing in Africa through music and missions. Read this book if you enjoy adventures and their inevitable unpredictability. Read this book if you want to know what an ethnomusicologist really does for a living.”

Rob vividly recounts eight
Published June 1st 2012 by Ambassador International

To ask other readers questions about Adventures in Music and Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adventures in Music and Culture

Start your review of Adventures in Music and Culture: Travels of an Ethnomusicologist in West Africa
Paul Heatley
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This entertaining and thought-provoking read will give the average Western reader a fresh perspective on the reality of life in West Africa that goes beyond the headline-grabbing tragedies of war, famine and disease. It also provides a unique insight into the obscure field of ethnomusicology - Rob Baker's story suggests that the job of an ethnomusicologist is anything but boring!

In contrast to the well-meaning but misguided efforts of colonial missionaries, Rob's ministry works in harmony with t
Diana Jackson
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Rob Baker’s memoirs of his time working as an ‘ethnomusicologist’ in West Africa are colourful, honest and compelling. What is an ‘ethnomusicologist’ you may ask? I certainly did. Well, Rob works to write Christian songs using localised instruments, rhythms and styles of music. As he shares the joys and frustrations of his musical encounters, you follow him into a greater understanding of the similarities and differences in culture that make each community identifiable, and yet there are shared ...more
Marie
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book!

Ethnomusicologist Rob Baker invites his readers to follow him on 8 different workshops between Benin and Togo, where he records freshly composed worship songs among different people groups in their musical languages.

Filled with humour (making me sometimes laugh too hard according to my neighbors in the metro), but also with fascinating cultural information, this was a great read.

Overall, it has made me fall in love all over again with missions.

I wish there was an audio version of
TheRoamingWhistler
I love the way that this book completely matches its author! It's adventurous, quirky, humorous, crazy, and full of interesting insights into life and music in West Africa!

This book was literally my first real introduction to the world of Ethnomusicology and Ethnodoxology! And to be honest I much prefer it to the more academic tomes I have read since! Rob (and others) has inspired me to become an Ethnodoxologist myself! And as I go about it, I find myself hoping and dreaming that one day I too
louisama89
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really good book! :)
Jessie T
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
If you know Rob, you can definitely hear him as you read this book! It was enjoyable and served as a great insight as to do what a missionary ethnomusicologist does, and I loved learning more about the West African culture. He also writes a bit about heart music and other stuff to do with music and culture, and random pieces of information which is useful to know! I agree that this should be a sort of ebook with colour pictures and links to recordings.
It does get a bit repetitive (I guess it’s
Nicolai Sosnowski