Start by marking “Betrayal on Orbis 2 (The Softwire #2)” as Want to Read:
Betrayal on Orbis 2 (The Softwire #2)

Betrayal on Orbis 2 (The Softwire #2)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Sci-fi fans will tear through this new adventure as Johnny Turnbull — first human softwire — finds more danger and intrigue on the next ring of Orbis.

On Orbis 2, Johnny Turnbull has a new home and a new job, one that pushes his softwire abilities to painful limits. JT is the only one who can communicate with the Samirans, large aquatic aliens who have cooled the crystals o
Published March 25th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Betrayal on Orbis 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayal on Orbis 2

Laine The Librarian
So being a Softwire, a person who can communicate with the computer, isn't so bad after all, Johnny Turnball finds out. Of course, he was accused of making the computer go faulty, thought he was a freak by his peers and his new alien neighbors, placed in a prison block for something he clearly didn't do and almost losing his life inside the computer.

Good times.

But he was able to stop a war on Ring 1 of Orbis, got the computer "virus" to come clean about what was going on, and was able to get his
Michael
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book 2 sequel to The Softwire series is an enjoyable science fiction read that is not only good for adults, but late elementary school to junior high kids will also enjoy. It's unusual (at least for me) to find a book the whole family can enjoy without one set feeling as if it is too "dumbed down" for the younger set to understand and annoy the parents, nor too detailed or technical that the younger set will get frustrated.

The author does a good job of quickly getting you into the story as
Cindy
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen-reads
Started with this second book. The alien creatures and world are odd enough to be disconcerting, helps you feel for the human children being put to work. Like a foster care system. Main character can talk to computers but seems to be able to talk to a special alien he meets on Orbis 2. He's given a lot of responsibility and trouble by fellow foster kids and the Gaurdors. Very interesting, seeking to read more. Clean story, loses an arm and fight scene near end, not too graphic (11 and up)
Jennifer Patterson
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10+
Shelves: ya
I’ll admit that my speed reading days for books left me in college. Even with my fun books that I read, it can take me a several days to finish one. So when I went through the Softwire Series in roughly a week, you know it’s got to be amazing! Oddly enough, I have to thank Nathon Filion for tweeting a link for a free digital copy of the first book (Virus on Orbis 1).

The brief synopsis from P.J. Haarsma’s site really hooked me in too.

Thirteen-year-old Johnny Turnbull has always known there was so
Denae Christine
It was better than the first with the fact that there were some meaner characters. Yet, at the end of all the bullies or enemies, there's some sort of compassionate scene or event. For instance, JT sympathized with Weegin, Switzer, and Oglan (sp?) before their character left the book. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or annoyed. In one way, it's cool, showing that no one is bad at the core, but in another, it becomes predictable.
I did like how JT and Switzer's roles were a little reversed when JT h
KeepOnFlyin
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't wait to get my hands on this second book of the Softwire series. I was so excited to continue reading about the adventures of JT and his friends and little sister. PJ Haarsma did not let me down!

I loved the entire book from start to end. As the children are moved to the second ring to begin working their next rotation, their lives continue to be filled with adventure and mysteries to be solved. Orbis 2 is much different than Orbis 1 and has such places as underground tunnels with trea
Heidi
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it
"Once again, Haarsma gives us a unique entry into the young adult field with a true science fiction story. The second in the series, this book has a tighter plot than the first and continues to be wildly imaginative, though character development hasn't really progressed. As with the first book, my major gripe is with the dialogue, which is choppy and awkward. I find it hard to like the hero of the story, especially when he does some stupid things like he does here, and I think that some of the r ...more
Michelle
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Michelle by: Beverly
Another fast read! A reader can really roll through these books! I liked this one as much as the first one. In this book we get a deeper look at the world JT and his friends live in. The story also starts filling in some information about who JT's father is and the mission behind their trip to Orbis. It does feel like it the book ends abruptly, there's not much of a denouement.

The nonstop action and quick moving pace of the story make it great for reluctant readers or those who need a quick rea
Jenn
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I read the first one of this series a while ago. I couldn't believe my library actually had it. Of course, it didn't have any of the follow up books. I ended up finding HB copies of #s 2 and 3 for cheap on Amazon. I'm not gonna lie: I read the first one, based almost solely on the fact that Haarsma works with Nathan Fillion on Kids Need to Read. And I liked the first one well enough. I'm not sure that there was anything wrong, particularly, with the second one. I just think that maybe it's been ...more
Jim
Jun 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Something about these books stirs a deep anger in me that is not enjoyable. It has to do with the way the main characters are treated with unfairness and violence. I've not read any other book that comes to mind that affected me in this way. Can't say I recommend this for young adults. I won't be reading the last two books in this series.

Also the books spend a lot of time building up to the climax, which then goes by much too quickly, glosses over plot points and are a little too convenient.

The
Shannon
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I really enjoyed Betrayal on Orbis 2! I thought the characters had a lot of depth to them and I really felt connected. It was nice to see that the main character was flawed and had a lot of growing and learning to do. There was such a bond between him and his friends. I also felt connected to alien characters. Even though some of them were evil, I wanted to know why they were evil, what made them that way? I think that this book has a lot of adventure, is well written, and has an emotional eleme ...more
Deborah
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
After JT's employer loses everything for conspiring against the Keepers, JT and company are sent to Orbis 2 to work with Samirans, large aquatic beasts who are under contract like the human children to work a certain amount of time on Orbis. The Samirans keep the crystals on the planet cool. Once again, the Trade Council is at odds with the Keepers and it is up to JT to help this endangered alien species reach freedom.

Upper elementary/middle school.
Terry
This is a well crafted piece of science fiction. SciFi enthusiasts and reluctant readers will be captivated by the adventures. For me, this is a 7 out of 10. Space fantasy lovers will give it a 10 for sure. The author remains focused on his goal of using science fiction to capture the reluctant and/or non-engaged reader.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Dayna Smith
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The second book in The Softwire series. Johnny and his friends are now on Orbis 2 with a new Guarantor. They are put in charge of the Samirans, large aquatic aliens, who cool the crystals on Orbis. Johnny is the only person who can speak to these creatures and he is tasked to find out what is wrong with them as their work rule is coming to an end. What he discovers endangers all of Orbis and it's up to Johnny to save the day again. If you liked the first book you will love the second.
MichaelD
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
The book is full of action and adventure. JT and his friends get moved to Orbis 2 were they are assigned to Ordran there new guarantor. When there JT and friends find an old space jumpers belt. Switzer tries it on and teleports to a random location in the universe or a different universe. JT also has to talk to two giant aquatic animals called samirans. In all of this JT almost dies multiple times.
John
Oct 10, 2016 added it
I thought that the book was very good and the story ended up getting better and better near the end. I can't believe that he lost his arm. I think that the story will really continue to keep up the action and there will be much more problems that are very different because next I get to go to the adventures on Orbis 3 and I can't wait.
Libby
2.5 - a bit too much repetitive introspection from the main protagonist but otherwise still a fun, quick adventure. I'm onto the next - The Softwire: Worm Hole Pirates on Orbis 3
Sheila Ruth
Feb 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: reluctant readers and science fiction lovers
Betrayal on Orbis 2 is the kind of outer space adventure that I loved in middle school. With non-stop excitement, rich world building, and lots of cool aliens and technology, this is a great book for science fiction fans and reluctant readers.

Read my entire review

Austin Holzworth
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
So far JT,max, kathrina, and theadore chased after dolten and swizter and found out he was trainding stuff to get money and then nugget (who they found whyll chansing them) grabed on of swizers thigns and ran off with it and everyone followed and disscoverd a place were orbis kept secrit things then swizers grabed a space jumpers pelt.
Matthew
Sep 09, 2009 rated it liked it
This one was a little more exciting than the first one. The characters started to develop some personalities and take some intiative. For the first time in the series a character dies. The themes of oppresion and equal rights are starting to be more fully fleshed out by the author. It was a good read and I'll definately read the third book in the series soon.
Kelly
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another delightful journey on Orbis. I believe I enjoyed book 2 a bit more than book one. The characters became a bit more complex and it was good to see that good people can do bad things, yet still remain essentially good.
Paula
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic Christmas present to myself in aid of charity, the follow-up to PJ's Softwire Virus on Orbis One the next installement of JT's adventures on Orbis kept me so hooked that I read it in one sitting and am desperate for the next one:)
Patrick Carey
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Didn't live up to the first installment. Seemed somewhat choppy in its pacing, and was a little cloudy on a lot of the motivations of the characters. Although that may have been intentional, it just felt weak.

Hopefully the Third Ring will be an improvement.
Andrew Marr
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
On the second ring of Orbis life is more challenging, more mysterious & more troubling. The Samirans, aquatic beings who make earthly whales looks small, are great creatures to meet. Some of the characters are not so pleasant. I look forward to the last two volumes of the set.
Maggie
Jun 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Recommended to Maggie by: PJ Haarsma himself *sqeal*
I finished this book on a flight to Canada and I have to say this is definitely as good as the first one, if not better.
PJ Haarsma's writing is so good you won't be able to put it down, for anything. Even dinner. xD
Shawn
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great fun, reads like a thriller read. What do you mean I have to wait a year for the next one!!! Aaah!
coolhwhip
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
it was overall a nice book but then again I'm a softie for sci-fi books
Michelle
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
I really enjoyed this second adventure and I am looking forward to book three!
02ColbyL
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great sequal
Greg McClay
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as Orbis but I still enjoy the setting and see it as unique along with serious plot lines about indentured servants and class warfare.
  • The Return of the Dragon
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • The Fall of the Templar (Grey Griffins, #3)
  • The Indigo King (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #3)
  • The Vampire's Curse (Secrets of Dripping Fang: Book Three)
  • Much Ado About Grubstake
  • Hero-Type
  • Snarf Attack, Underfoodle, and the Secret of Life: The Riot Brothers Tell All
  • Guys Write for Guys Read
  • Say Cheese, Medusa! (Myth-O-Mania, #3)
  • Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc, #1)
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • Stranded (The Prometheus Project, #3)
  • Heirs of Mars
  • Chronicles of the Lensmen, Volume 2
  • Alien Pursuit (Mars Diaries, #2)
  • Archon (Psi Chronicles, #2)
  • The Frost Child (The Navigator Trilogy, #3)
A lot about The Softwire comes from my own experiences growing up. No, I never traveled on a seed-ship to Orbis but I did feel like I was a slave working in my parents ceramic factory as a teenager. In the summer I would slug 50lbs+ molds around while standing in a room with kilns firing at 1400 degrees. It wasn't fun and at the time I really resented my parents for it. I felt used and not in cont ...more
More about P.J. Haarsma...

The Softwire (4 books)
  • Virus on Orbis 1 (The Softwire #1)
  • Wormhole Pirates on Orbis 3 (The Softwire #3)
  • Awakening on Orbis 4 (The Softwire #4)