Start by marking “A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)

A Share in Death

(Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  13,955 ratings  ·  1,085 reviews
A week's holiday in a luxurious Yorkshire time-share is just what Scotland Yard's Superintendent Duncan Kincaid needs. But the discovery of a body floating in the whirlpool bath ends Kincaid's vacation before it's begun. One of his new acquaintances at Followdale House is dead; another is a killer. Despite a distinct lack of cooperation from the local constabulary, Kincaid ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 259 pages
Published August 26th 2003 by Avon (first published 1993)

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
6,023 books — 14,210 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithDéjà Dead by Kathy Reichs
Fearless Females
687 books — 1,033 voters

More lists with this book...

·  13,955 ratings  ·  1,085 reviews

Start your review of A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
Julie
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie is a 1993 publication.

This series debut got off on a solid enough footing, introducing us to Duncan Kincaid and his partner, Gemma James.

Duncan takes a reluctant, but much needed vacation at a Yorkshire timeshare, only to find himself embroiled in a murder investigation.

This book reads like a traditional or classic British cozy mystery and it’s easy to see why it quickly gained a following and is so successful.

This first installment is not overly complicat
Terri Lynn
Oh dear. A Goodreads friend recommended this author to me when I felt sad that I had read all of Edward Marston's series about the Railway Detective so I decided to try out the first book in Deborah Crombie's Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James series and I love it! You know what this means. Book after delightful book to read and catch up on in this series.

Deborah Crombie is an American who writes about a detective superintendent from Scotland Yard named Duncan Kincaid who took his vacation by takin
Deborah Harkness
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful mystery with a great female protagonist.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Deborah Crombie's mystery series features Scotland Yard's Det. Superintendant Duncan Kincaid & his partner, Sergeant Gemma James.

A Share in Death is the 1st novel in the series, which currently contains 16 books. I do feel that the books are best read in order.

Kincaid is on long-earned vacation at a Yorkshire time-share but his holiday is anything but relaxing. Within a few hours of his arrival, bodies start piling up both staff and guests.

Helping the local police, Kincaid uses his experience an
Carolyn Hill
Mar 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm not an avid reader of detective whodunnits, but sometimes I come across a series that intrigues me, especially if it's set in England. I find the Elizabeth George and Kate Atkinson ones a bit too dark and grim for my devotion, and some of the cozies are too fluffy and sweet even for me. I recently came across a reference to Deborah Crombie's newest book in her series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James and thought it sounded like something I might enjoy. I don't like entering a series i ...more
Terence M (Spring is in My Step!)
Audiobook - 07:05 Hours - Narrator: Michael Deehy
2.5 Stars rounded to 3.0
"A Share in Death" was the first book in a series recommended to me in April 2015 by a GR friend who thought I might enjoy them. Well, as I was looking for something a little quieter than the blood and gore stuff I have been reading lately, I have to say I did enjoy listening to it, but it didn't jump out as a 'I-must-hear-the-next-book-now!' story.

It was a fairly gentle, low energy tale, a police-procedural typical of some
Bettie

Description: A week's holiday in a luxurious Yorkshire time-share is just what Scotland Yard's Superintendent Duncan Kincaid needs. But the discovery of a body floating in the whirlpool bath ends Kincaid's vacation before it's begun. One of his new acquaintances at Followdale House is dead; another is a killer. Despite a distinct lack of cooperation from the local constabulary, Kincaid's keen sense of duty won't allow him to ignore the heinous crime, impelling him to send for his enthusiastic yo
Christopher Williams
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book not least because it is the first in quite a long series. It is a classic Agatha Christie type whodunnit set in a, not exactly country house but timeshare apartments-in a country house. The guests are all suspects when first the deputy manager is killed.

I think it was all quite well done in many ways and the Kincaid character in particular is not bad but all a little too formulaic and predictable for me. I hadn't realised the author is American either. Whilst this
Shannon
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
I couldn't get past the poor quality writing and one-dimensional characters to give this book more than 1 star. Perhaps, as a couple of reviewers have suggested, her writing style improved in subsequent books, which would explain her relatively solid overall rating as an author. However in this novel, Ms. Crombie overuses the simile and the passive voice to create a novel that feels artificial and contrived.
Kathy Davie
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
First in the Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James cozy English mystery series and revolving around a couple of cops from Scotland Yard. This story takes place at a holiday mansion in Yorkshire.

In 1993, A Share in Death was nominated for the Agatha Award for Best First Novel.

My Take
It's Agatha Christie-lite in A Share in Death with its "captive" houseguests stalked by a murderer. It's certainly a soft read and lets us in on everyone's thoughts with its third-person omniscient point-of-view and a dab of t
Christine PNW
Apr 01, 2020 rated it liked it
I've picked up several in this series over the years when they've gone on sale, without ever reading any of them, including the first one. I thought that the series would appeal to me, and I wasn't wrong.

I liked the main characters. It's a very British mystery, which I also liked (in spite of the fact that Crombie is actually a Texan, which is weird).

I liked it - it's a keeper, although I have no idea when I will be able to really dive in. I typically only buy books like this when they are deepl
Ellen
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crombie
A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1).

This book was a pleasure to read for several reasons. First I like the main character(s). Kincaid, Scotland Yard Superintendent, is sensitive to whatever circumstances or people he is dealing with at that moment and yet he can be stern and not allow anyone to take advantage or get the upper hand. Gemma comes on much later in the book and adds to the story by her dependability as well as their relationship building team work.
Secondly I apprecia
Malia
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This was a nicely written cozy mystery, with a likeable detective. This is the first book in this series and a good start. The story isn't that gripping but nicely written and it was what i was looking for at the moment. I really liked Duncan and Gemma and they are the reason I would go back to this series in the future. I am curious to see how their relationship develops and to learn more about them. I kind of see Duncan as a young Inspector Lynley, but maybe that's just me...

Find more reviews
2.5 and I'm rounding up to a 3. I think the timing may have been bad for this. The writing had flashes of not brilliant but very good but as it went on it became less interesting and there wasn't enough character development to pull it through. I'm hoping that it was just the start of the series throwing it off tho and that it gets better as it goes.

The setting and the main characters are promising so I'll give the second one a try before abandoning the series. I also enjoyed the audio for thi
Empress Reece (Hooked on Books)
I enjoyed the characters and I think the series has promise. It was a little slow for me but Im going to try the 2nd book and see if its improved any.
Jaclyn
Sep 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Deborah Crombie is an author I've heard about and recommended often, but I have to admit that I'd never picked up one of her books. It was time.

A Share in Death marks the beginning of Crombie's popular series featuring Scotland Yard superintendent Duncan Kincaid and his sergeant, Gemma James. Book one opens with Kincaid taking a much needed vacation, unfortunately this turns into a working holiday when someone is murdered and Kincaid finds himself up against the local coppers in his search to fi
Hallie
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm doing one of my always-too-infrequent clear-outs and have been keeping the three books I have in this series *only* to write them up. (Mostly because I'm afraid otherwise I'll end up getting them again when I've forgotten which books go with the rant.) I got the first three in the series, rather than trying just the first, because Better World Books was having one of their extra sales on five or more really used books. I also got the first three because I was still cranky about the most rece ...more
Lynn
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Share in Death is the first book in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series. I chose to read this book due to recommendations from mystery readers. Duncan Kincaid is on a holiday from Scotland Yard. His cousin has offered him a stay at his time share in Yorkshire. Duncan looks forward to just relaxing and does not let fellow vacationers know his profession. That soon changes when a murder happens after Duncan checks in.

The murder in not in Duncan's jurisdiction and the head local investigator re
Tanja Berg
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating 4* out of 5. Superintendent Duncan Kincaid is going on a holiday in a timeshare house. It doesn't take very long before one of the people running the place is found dead. All of the sudden he is drawn into a murder investigation, holiday or not. This was very much a sort of Agatha Christie closed room murder mystery - one of the guests must have done it, but who? And why? Thoroughly enjoyable and I will certainly be reading more by Deborah Crombie.
JoAn
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
A Share in Death by Deborah Crombie was a great start to this mystery series set in England. Ms. Crombie did an excellent job of introducing Duncan Kincaid and it was nice to get to know him so well in this first book. I listened to the audio version of this book. The narrator, Michael Deehy, did an excellent job of the narration. I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Debbie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A Share in Death is the first in Deborah Crombie’s Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James mystery novels. Duncan works for Scotland Yard and is getting a week at a luxurious timeshare in Yorkshire since his cousin is unable to use the time he had booked. Shortly after his arrival at Followdale House, one of the employees is murdered. Local law enforcement wants to sweep the murder under the rug and call it a suicide. Duncan knows better and begins his own investigation into what happened.
I enjoyed this mys
LJ
A SHARE IN DEATH (Police Proc-Kincaid & James-England-Cont) – VG
Crombie, Deborah – 1st in series
Avon Books, 1993, US Paperback – ISBN: 9780061150401
First Sentence: Duncan Kincaid’s holiday began well.
*** Newly promoted DI Duncan Kincaid has accepted use of his cousin’s timeshare. He didn’t expect it to be a working holiday. However, when a body is found in the pool and the local DS claims it is suicide, Kincaid knows he can’t ignore it. With DS Gemma James help from headquarters, it’s up to Dunc
Judy
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I'm a great believer in reading books that are published in a series in order. In fact, I recommend that approach over and over in my reviews. Apparently, I'm not always taking my own advice. I just bought Deborah Crombie's new book for my Kindle and, on a whim, I went to her website. Was I surprised to find out that I had pretty much started in the middle of her Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James series. The horror. So I'm starting at the beginning and filling in the back st ...more
Susan Johnson
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a long running series featuring Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. The Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent, Kincaid, takes advantage of his cousin's time share in Yorkshire. Unfortunately, there is a murder, then another and then there are attacks on other guests. Kincaid must get involved much to the dismany of the local police. This was an interesting start to a series and I can't wait to read more.
Joanne
May 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Almost everyone in this book had trembling hands, it got tiresome. Kincaid ogled every woman he saw, and of course they all kissed him. That got very tiresome. A few lovely descriptions of the countryside.
Stacie  Haden
I like the characters of Duncan and Gemma. I'll continue with this series.
Julie  Durnell
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, england-uk
A promising start to a new-to-me series, one that I look forward to reading more of Duncan and Gemma's investigations! This was a perplexing mystery and well drawn cast of characters and suspects.
Polly
Oct 03, 2018 rated it liked it
A Share in Death is a solid read but not one that I found particularly engrossing. The murder at Followdale House, a holiday time share in Yorkshire, was an interesting setting and allowed for a disparate group of people as suspects. I think I was a bit put off by the holidaying Inspector Duncan Kincaid’s proclivity for fancying just about every eligible - and not so eligible - woman he met. Was he falling for the independent and brilliant scientist Hannah Alcock? Or maybe the local and married ...more
Ashley Ferrell
This is the first installment in a mystery series. I received it in a subscription box, and it was a good cozy mystery. Written in the same style as Agatha Christie.

• All the Devils Are Here (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #16)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #1)
  • A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1)
  • A Duty to the Dead (Bess Crawford, #1)
  • A Fountain Filled with Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2)
  • The Circle (Inspector Henrietta Mallin, #1)
  • The Lantern Men (Ruth Galloway, #12)
  • A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • A Test of Wills (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #1)
  • The Jane Austen Society
  • A Divided Loyalty (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #22)
  • A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)
  • The Crossing Places (Ruth Galloway, #1)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 17 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 18th Kincaid/James novel, A BITTER FEAST, will be released by William Morrow in October, 2019.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)
  • Water Like a Stone (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #11)