Start by marking “Cyberselfish A Critical Romp Through The Terribly Libertarian Culture Of High Tech” as Want to Read:

"Paulina Borsook has been stirring up a ruckus in Silicon Valley since her days as a regular contributor to Wired magazine."
Published June 7th 2001 by PublicAffairs (first published May 1st 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Cyberselfish A Critical Romp Through The Terribly Libertarian Culture Of High Tech

Start your review of Cyberselfish A Critical Romp Through The Terribly Libertarian Culture Of High Tech
grundoon
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose you're going to either really enjoy this, or grudgingly acknowledge that she's at least a competent writer, depending on your own views. Which is pretty much the entire point. I've been in tech some way or another for going on three decades, and have quite a few libertarian (lower case intentional) views, but "Libertarian" has very much been co-opted by attitudes and values which could not be further from my own. Over a dozen years old now, this book-length essay takes an informed, ...more
Llew
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Repeating what was said on the Amazon review - painting with way too wide of a brush, very dismissive, and generally kind of insulting without any basis or evidence. I thought this would be more about the libertarian financial world of Oracle and others, but it's more about putting down "neopagans who go to Burning Man". I will say I thought she did have a way with words, but it was mainly to insult people who responded to a dating profile.
Tom S
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
The author most certainly has expensive experience, knowledge and connections throughout Silicon Valley but appears to have become so intensely stuck in a single-track mindset that everyone in Silicon Valley is "technolibertarian" that she has closed herself off such that no other conclusions can be reached, and any thoughts or ideas otherwise tolerated.

The book provides an interesting insight into the culture and life of high technology in West Coast USA in the 90s with an incredible amount of
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appear to have clicked "audio" and really it's just hardcover. Ain't give a damn.

Written in 2001, read in 2013. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I had a hard time reading this for the same reason I had an issue with Steve Jobs' biography: the back-and-forth between "these are amazing times and folks are doing amazing things" and "holy shit some of these folks seem to have been assholes for YEARS" is just disconcerting and makes me want to set fire to something.
Colin
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Badly in need of an editor
Patrick Rodriguez
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
What libertarianism seems like to an outside observer. Some valid points, some outdated. Always good to synthesize multiple viewpoints.
Jocelyn