Start by marking “SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 8th Edition/International” as Want to Read:
SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 8th Edition/International

SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 8th Edition/International

Long regarded as the gold standard in sensation and perception texts, E. Bruce Goldstein's SENSATION AND PERCEPTION has helped more than 100,000 students make the connection between perception and physiology. Goldstein has crafted an easier-to-understand, and more student-friendly book, without sacrificing the text's comprehensive examination of sensation and perception. ...more
Published March 15th 2009 by Cengage (first published January 1980)

Be the first to ask a question about SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 8th Edition/International

Start your review of SENSATION AND PERCEPTION 8th Edition/International
Elari
Something a neuroscientist on vacation would read.

Edit: I'm changing the rating from three to four stars because of the references to Beatles songs in the epilogue. However trivial it may be, the rush of yay outbalanced the boredom brought about by chapters 5 to 8. Never underestimate the power of music.
Fatemeh
Mar 10, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
هرچیز جالبی رو که با هدف امتحان بخونی بی مزه می شه. و این کتابم مستثنی نیست از این قاعده. جالب و دوست داشتنیه... اگه نخوای ازش امتحان بدی. ...more
Katie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blah, Blah, text book. Good information about sensation and perception and intriguing for those of us who are fascinated by human behavior. I guess I was tired of seeing no books on my currently reading list.
Désirée Blondin-White
Had to read for Sensation and Perception. Only read 60% (hoping to finish in my free time, or by taking part two of the course). I personally found it interesting because there are some explanations for various neurological conditions and conditions that affect the senses, and you can read about many hypotheses and theories behind sensory perception, which can lead to a greater understanding of how your body functions and also about the physical world around us. I found this textbook to be a ...more
ʆɛѵi
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, science
Read for PSYC 267

Almost entirely a re-hash of PSYC 275 (Biopsychology) from last semester, so I was lucky. Half of the book is only about vision, because we know the most about it. We ran out of time in my class to really look into anything else other than the beginnings of hearing, so I can only vouch for about half the content in the book, but it was so much easier to understand than my last textbook. My teacher this semester explained things a lot better but the book was easier to follow too.
Nick Murray
The book radically overuses terminology that nobody has or will use. Chapter 12 contains some terminology relating to music theory that could be simplified by using terminology that everyone knows from their grade school music class.
Alyssa Indira
this was actually a pretty cool textbook for my s&p psych class. I learned alot. how much Ill remember....who knows
Miao
Dec 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good as a text book and explain the stuff quite clear.
Westcoast_girl
I think this book would have been really good when it first came out, but 36 years later it's become a bit of a mess.

You can see where new research has been pasted into the old text, and the coverage of it doesn't really fit with the flow of the chapters. There are some things that are covered in depth, such as optical illusions and Gestalt principles, and other things that are barely covered at all, such as the neurology of each sense. An extraordinary amount of text focuses on describing the
Ree
Okay, I didn't actually read the entire book, since I only needed some chapters as exam preparation and there really was no time for me to revise any extra content. But having said that, I really wouldn't have minded reading more. For one, the topic interest me (always helpful), and for the other, this was very well written, structured and presented. The authors explained stuff with the intention of actually explaining it and not to sound all high and mighty and academically superior. Also ...more
Linnea
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Great book on the basic principles of neuroscience-, psychology- and biology of perception. An interesting and comprehensive book, perfect for people studying or working with perception. The information presented is applicable in a wide range of disciplines, such as perception psychology, neuroscience, biology, computer science, human-computer interaction design, auditory environment design and so on.
Cary S
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
A decent textbook on the whole. Certain concepts were very poorly explained or incomplete. And arguably the most irritating part of the book was the near constant referencing of figures that were not on the same page as their explanations. Very difficult material. I'd highly recommend a more user-friendly textbook on this topic!
Chantal
The most enjoyable moment of reading this textbook was when I realised I was done with it. If it wasn't an e-book, I'd have burnt it by now. Content-wise the book is not that bad, it's just that the physiology of [insert any subject matter] is not really my thing.
Dorothy W.
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm taking psychology perception and this is my class text. Every week for our forum discussion we have to write about a perception. It's amazing how perception and sensation are tied to biology. Great book!
Chrissy
I actually didn't like this textbook. It was poorly organized and made too many assumptions of prior knowledge about its readership. Very dense, not user-friendly, but at least I learned a lot by rewriting notes in my own words...
Amani Bryant
It's a textbook.
grass_harp
I read this for one of my courses in college as exam preparation and enjoyed it a lot. Especially the many examples helped me to understand the various concepts.
abby
I just re-read this entire textbook for studying so I'm counting it.

Eh. I'm not big on the subject matter but the textbook did a good job of making it not completely awful, I guess.
Sami Ismail
Jen
Apr 19, 2009

• Social Psychology
  • Analyzing Neural Time Series Data: Theory and Practice
  • The Invisible Computer: Why Good Products Can Fail, the Personal Computer Is So Complex, and Information Appliances Are the Solution
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Human-Computer Interaction: An Empirical Research Perspective
  • The Quantified Self
  • Physical Computing: Sensing and Controlling the Physical World with Computers
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • You Are Not a Gadget
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Stress Management for Life with Premium Web Site
  • Learning and Behavior, Active Learning Edition
  • Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking
E. BRUCE GOLDSTEIN is an Associate Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Pittsburgh and Adjunct Professor of Psychology at the University of Arizona. He received the Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award from the University of Pittsburgh for his classroom teaching and textbook writing. He received his bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering from Tufts University and his Ph.D. ...more