Start by marking “The Wind Beneath My Wings” as Want to Read:
The Wind Beneath My Wings

The Wind Beneath My Wings

From the first time Concorde took to the skies on 2 March 1969 until its final flight on 26 November 2003, the supersonic jet captured the imagination of the public. When Air France and British Airways announced their decision to stop flying Concorde there was a feeling of sadness and disbelief amongst the fans of this beautiful aeroplane around the world.

But what of the
Published December 3rd 2013 by Thistle Publishing (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Beneath My Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind Beneath My Wings

Start your review of The Wind Beneath My Wings
Mark Veira
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully rich account of a remarkable life.

I feel as though the story of Concorde becomes more evocative with each year that passes since she came to her final rest in 2003. For me, as an aviation enthusiast and a Britisher hailing from the birthplace of the British Concorde fleet, Bristol, UK, Concorde represents the pinnacle of aviation and national achievement.

We assume that technology will always propel us forward into new territory, replacing outdated concepts and hardware for better
Autre Nom
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
John Hutchinson is a legendary Concorde pilot (and experienced enough to have some harsh words about the Flight 4590 crash) with a fascinating life story that involves escaping partition-era India. a few brushes with death, and extensive experience with the supersonic jet. His story is well worth a book. And author Ottaway knows what she's talking about, having worked in civil aviation. She's a thorough researcher and talented writer who brings the whole thing to life. Very enjoyable biography w ...more
David McClure
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This traditional biography of the Concorde pilot John Hutchinson really takes off when the supersonic aircraft enters the story, as it charts the turbulent course from rising to the pinnacle of aeronautical technology on the first flight in March 1969 to falling to earth in the Paris crash of July 2000.

Along the way there are family tragedies and a dramatic hijacking at sea.

Susan Ottaway clears knows the nuts and bolts of the aviation industry and has been granted access to the minutest details
JJ
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Based on exhaustive research, this is an intimate and beautifully written portrait of one of the true innovators and gents of the skies. You may laugh, at times you may shed a tear, but you’ll certainly come away from this with enormous respect for Hutchinson and aviation in general and the feeling that anything is possible. Simply wonderful.
Beth Willis
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific biography, that really captures the special magic of Concorde. Very well written.

Brian
Jan 23, 2016
Joanna
Apr 17, 2018
Sukhraj Singh
rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2018

• Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s For Dummies
  • Door to Door: The Magnificent, Maddening, Mysterious World of Transportation
  • Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions
  • Focus: The Hidden Driver of Excellence
  • The Hidden History of Burma: Race, Capitalism, and the Crisis of Democracy in the 21st Century
  • The Man Who Flew the Memphis Belle: Memoir of a WWII Bomber Pilot
  • Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials That Shape Our Man-Made World
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
Susan Ottaway was born in Windsor, brought up in Egham and educated at Sir William Perkins's Girls School in nearby Chertsey. The daughter of an aircraft engineer, she has had a lifelong enthusiasm for aeroplanes and books. She worked for four different airlines over a period of 20 years, mainly in the UK but also in Germany and Australia, and wrote her first book, a biography of Wing Commander Gu ...more