Start by marking “Poirot and Me” as Want to Read:
Poirot and Me

Poirot and Me

In the summer of 2013 David Suchet will film his final scenes as Hercule Poirot. After 24 years in the role, he will have played the character in every story that Agatha Christie wrote about him (bar one, deemed unfilmable) and he will bid adieu to a role and a character that have changed his life.

In Poirot and Me, David Suchet tells the story of how he secured the part,
Published July 15th 2014 by Headline (first published November 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Poirot and Me, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Only Mrs Christie could possibly answer that, and she's been dead for decades now. I do know she wanted her other characters and books to be…moreOnly Mrs Christie could possibly answer that, and she's been dead for decades now. I do know she wanted her other characters and books to be appreciated, but there were howls from the public for a new, full-length novel featuring Poirot every single year--howls from people who would never even consider trying to write a mystery novel and have no idea how hard it is to come up with a fresh new plot after 70 stories featuring the same characters. Perhaps it's like TV actors who get typecast and feel resentful of the character that made them famous and wealthy. (less)

Start your review of Poirot and Me
leslie hamod
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yay! David Suchet! He is actually English and didn't want to take the part. Fabulous read!
Ironically, the "little Belgian detective with the beautiful moustaches" is quite funny ! He is thoroughly likeable and so is this book! Especially relevant is the fact that he initially did not want to take the role of Poirot!
His success in playing this persona lasted for many wonderful and entertaining years!
Easy to read (many biographies tend not to be), amusing, anecdotal, engrossing and a complete
Adrian
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zz-i-book, biography
I have always thought that David Suchet was the personification or embodiment of Hercule Poirot (like Joan Hickson for Miss Marple and Jeremy Brett for Holmes) and on reading this biography of his 25 Poirot years one can see why. He put his life and soul into understanding and interpreting Agatha Christie's enigmatic Belgian detective, and an amazing job he did as well.
Through short stories and novels, from hour long episodes to 2hour specials, he lived breathed, spoke, thought and most of all
Vikas Singh
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Nice book on David Suchet's journey as Poirot with the iconic television series. Starting from the first 50 minute episode of The Adventure of the Clapham Cook in June 1988 to Dead Man's Folly shot in June 2013, the book chronicles his journey over seventy episodes shot over a period of 25 years. Written straight from the heart, the book offers great insight on how David carefully maintained the style and mannerism of Poirot. Great read
Victoria
This is just a wonderful book for anyone who enjoys the Poirot series. Suchet so clearly loves Poirot. His agony every time he has to wait to see if the series will be renewed. His painstaking attention to detail. His determination to be true to the man Christie wrote.

It might be obvious to people who have looked at my books read list, I am a big Christie fan. And I have always the thought David Suchet is the only man who have ever played Poirot the way he should be played. Portrayals of
Jane
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a confession to make, I rarely read any kind of biography or autobiography.
I, however, loved the Poirot series with David Suchet, so I had to read this book.
It definitely did not disappoint. I loved reading about how he acquired the role initially, and how it changed over time, and the decisions that he made in bringing the role to the screen.
In my mind, he will always be the ultimate Poirot. His dedication to bringing the Poirot that Agatha Christie created was touching and made me
Betsy
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the story of two men, one is a character actor while the other is the product of the imagination of Agatha Christie. For 25 years their existences intertwined in 70 television productions of varying lengths, which eventually led to this book. Amazingly, in 1988, when David Suchet was first offered the part of Hercule Poirot, he had never read any of the books. Twenty-five years later he had become the definitive Belgian detective. In fact, the part had become an obsession with him, ...more
Evelyn
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
I loved this book. A must for all fans of Hercule Poirot and David Suchet. I've been watching some of my Poirot DVDs again after David's insight into how they came about. It was fascinating to read how David Suchet was chosen to portray Agatha Christie's most famous detective and how he brought him to life for the screen. His 25 years of work as one special character was phenomenal. A wonderful read. I would read it again.
Brian Collyer
 Ariadne Oliver
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in Poirot the character or the tv series Agatha Christie's Poirot, this is well worth the read. Suchet clearly put a lot of thought in how to play Poirot and his analysis is thought-provoking. I also enjoyed reading about how he as a character actor approaches creating a role.
Dinusha
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
I should start this review by pointing out some things. First of all, I have a great admiration for David Suchet as an actor in his portrayal of Poirot. He is the definitive Poirot because he is an intense character actor. Second, I went in expecting an entirely different kind of book. Third, Suchet is an actor not a writer, and some of my misgivings with the book stem from this issue.

I'm very sorry to say I ended up not liking this book much at all. I trudged through the entire thing to be a
Tracey
A fabulous read.
Kittaroo
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, this is, undoubtedly, a book for hardcore fans of the little Belgian sleuth. So, as it happens, I am one of them, I simply adored it.
Suchet's memories cover 25 years of production, from the very beginning, the creation, the search for Poirot, to the bitter end.
I can't bear there will be no more Poirot. But this memoir let us know that Suchet is well aware of what has accomplished: he has really brought Poirot to life. And it is impossible not to be grateful to the struggle he made to be
Camille Maio
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading insights into the creation of this beloved character on television. I have watched many of the Poirot episodes, but this book inspired me to buy the entire collection on DVD. I can't wait to watch it start to finish! Thanks to David Suchet for many years of Poirot.
Carla
I listened to this book on Audible so I had the benefit of David Suchet's Poirot voice as well as his own.
The book, as suggested by the title, only covers the years of his career since taking on the role 25 years ago, but it also talks about the many roles he played in between the various Poirot series and the uncertain nature of an actor's life.
It discusses in great detail the production of each film explaining how and why each book was adapted as it was. I did sometimes find Mr Suchet's
Harry Buckle
Jul 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The nastiest book I have read in the last decade was the autobiography of Kenneth Clarke the Brit politician...sadly, as Suchet playing Poirot on TV is a work of genius...this book is not. It lets him down. It drones on and on and Mr Suchet comes over as a picky really not very nice person...who seems to have been consumed by the character he plays. As he has been playing Poirot for much of his life that is possibly no surprise. When he does work on other parts he portrays him self as 'oh so ...more
Tara
Certainly not a bad read for the 99 cents I paid for the Kindle edition. There are some interesting tidbits about Suchet's method when preparing for and portraying the role, as well as behind the scenes stories about the production. But somehow, for a role he played on and off for 25 years, I wanted more.
Margaret
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent autobiography of actor David Suchet covering the 25 years he played Hercule Poirot.

Marvellous and fun read.
Kerli
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, non-fic, meh
I got this for my birthday and was really interested. I like Poirot, I definitely think Suchet got the part right, and had high hopes for this book.

What I got, was just...meh. The beginning was good, about how he created the character and the filming of the first series, his "family" of Japp, Hastings and Miss Lemon, but then it just became samey. In every chapter there was a brief synopsis of each story and list of actors, and then how after each series his contract was never renewed and he
Nicole
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, voices
David Suchets book is a devotion to Hercule Poirot. With a very entertaining writing he describes,tells and explains his role which he played over 25 years ! and how he merged with thy little man. At the end,he didn't play Poirot, Poirot was a huge part of him already.
The book therefore is for all the people,the devotees of the little Belgian who had been and remained a vital part of their lives and a lovely addition watching his play on screen. Suchet shares his many memories of creating the
Laura Dowers
I've always loved the Poirot films and was looking forward to this book.
It is a very general account of Mr Suchet's time as Poirot, with very little in-depth information about the shoots and other actors.
His pride in his performance and the quality of the productions are very evident, as is his genuine kind personality, but I would have liked a more insightful book. I skimread some pages as they just seemed to cover the same ground.
Not bad - could have been better.
John Frankham
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A thoroughly well-written and entertaining autobiography, concentrating on Suchet's twenty year stint in filming all the Poirot stories, but also providing a pretty full chronological narration of his whole career, with many successes in theatre, film, and television, and personal life. I listened to this, narrated charmingly by the author himself. Delightful.
Cristina
Jun 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me more than a month to finish Poirot and Me but it was worth it.
Suyog Garg
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned
"It never ends with the murder......."

How succint these words of Monsier Hercule Poirot seem. Been a Christie fan ever since I first encounted her masterful creation in that mysterious 'Halloween Party', I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful narrative from the actor who redefined what a character actor means by his flawless portrayal of the affable Poirot for a quarter of a century. Getting an opportunity to gaze inside the world of television production and the workings of an actor's mind, were
Amarante
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poirot and Me is a most beautiful memoire of David Suchet, the only actor to have played all Poirot stories ever written by dame Agatha Christie.
The book provides fun facts and titbits about every single episode made in the entire Poirot series and, probably more interestingly, how David Suchet has made this fictional character into such a realistic human being that has become such a dear and indispensable friend to a great amount people from all sorts of backgrounds. Poirot and Me, however,
Jill Hutchinson
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a niche book for the fans of the Hercule Poirot films/programs that graced television in Britain and the United States for 25 years and starred David Suchet as the ultimate Poirot.

A stage and character actor, Suchet had not read any of the Poirot books and when offered the part which he assumed would be a one-off, he read as many of the stories as possible, made lists of Poirot's likes and dislikes, and spent weeks perfecting the Poirot walk. He was determined to present the master
Sofie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! So nice to listen to David Suchet talk about his relationship and history with Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot. Lovely audiobook, I highly recommend it if you're a fan of the Poirot series!

Only one gripe, but it's not with the book or the narration at all, but I have to get it off my chest. I really disagree on his view on The Labours of Hercules and Murder on the Orient Express, I greatly dislike how they differ from the original works. They're messy, Poirot is angry (MotOE always
Bookwormandtheatremouse
This is one of the most wonderful memoirs I have ever read - I am not going to lie it is quite an emotional read. I am a huge fan of Poirot - and David Suchet as Poirot - and this book has simply made me admire both even more. It is a wonderful recollection of Suchet's 25 years as Poirot and other work he completed during that time but it is also very informative about Agatha Christie and her work. I enjoyed every page of this book and the tales it told - I am sure I will be returning to this ...more
Vilde
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listaudio, shelfie
I've grown up with watching ITV Poirot on the TV during the easter holiday with my family. It's simply a tradition. I've never considered anyone else to embody Poirot to thee as David Suchet.

Poirot and Me, narrated by David Suchet himself, is a heartfelt and humble narration of Suchet's journey through the adaptations of the literary works where Poirot is featured; the uncertainty, the joys and the sadness – albeit some phrases get a tad bit repetitive.
Heather Withington
A well written and brilliant telling of some of the stories behind the making of one of my favourite TV programmes - Poirot and me is a must for fans of the show. It allows for some interesting reading, as well as some genuine heartwarming as well as sad stories. I laughed, I cried and I really enjoyed myself.
Dejahthoris
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, beautifully written, mesmerizing and unforgettable!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Burden
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • The Golden Ball and Other Stories
  • Agatha Christie
  • Agatha Christie: Murder in the Making: More Stories and Secrets from Her Notebooks
  • Agatha Christie: A Biography
  • Agatha Christie at Home
  • Parker Pyne Investigates
  • Lost in Suomi
  • Deep Waters: Murder on the Waves
David Suchet, CBE is an English actor best known known for his work on the stage and British television for which he has earned international praise.
“This is one of the great charms of Poirot’s investigations, for they reveal a world where manners and morals are quite different from today. There are no overt and unnecessary sex scenes, no alcoholic, haunted detectives in Poirot’s world. He lives in a simpler, some would say more human, era: a lost England, seen through the admiring eyes of this foreigner, this little Belgian detective.” 11 likes
“I would walk round that beautiful, unspoilt little island, with its population of under a hundred and where there isn’t a single tarmac road, thinking about how he would truly sound. Perhaps the quietness of the island helped me do so. ‘Everybody thinks he’s French,’ I said to myself as I walked across the great stones that littered the beach at Rushy Bay, or stomped over the tussocky grass of Heathy Hill, with its famous dwarf pansies. ‘The only reason people think Poirot is French is because of his accent,’ I muttered. ‘But he’s Belgian, and I know that French-speaking Belgians don’t sound French, not a bit of it.’"

"I also was well aware of Brian Eastman’s advice to me before I left for Bryher: ‘Don’t forget, he may have an accent, but the audience must be able to understand exactly what he’s saying.’ There was my problem in a nutshell."

"To help me, I managed to get hold of a set of Belgian Walloon and French radio recordings from the BBC. Poirot came from Liège in Belgium and would have spoken Belgian French, the language of 30 per cent of the country’s population, rather than Walloon, which is very much closer to the ordinary French language. To these I added recordings of English-language stations broadcasting from Belgium, as well as English-language programmes from Paris. My principal concern was to give my Poirot a voice that would ring true, and which would also be the voice of the man I heard in my head when I read his stories. I listened for hours, and then gradually started mixing Walloon Belgian with French, while at the same time slowly relocating the sound of his voice in my body, moving it from my chest to my head, making it sound a little more high-pitched, and yes, a little more fastidious. After several weeks, I finally began to believe that I’d captured it: this was what Poirot would have sounded like if I’d met him in the flesh. This was how he would have spoken to me – with that characteristic little bow as we shook hands, and that little nod of the head to the left as he removed his perfectly brushed grey Homburg hat. The more I heard his voice in my head, and added to my own list of his personal characteristics, the more determined I became never to compromise in my portrayal of Poirot. ”
4 likes