Start by marking “Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent” as Want to Read:
Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent

Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent

Nouwen invites readers to join him on a 40-day Lenten path as fellow pilgrims, from the solemn beginning of Ash Wednesday to the joyous climax of Easter. This inspirational "search for the way" speaks directly to the heart during this time of reflection and prayer.
Published January 1st 1994 by Crossroad Classic (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Show Me The Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Show Me The Way

Start your review of Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent
booklady
Apr 15, 2009 marked it as to-read
Recommended to booklady by: Wanda
God willing, I shall read this next Lent...although it will hard to top Death on a Friday Afternoon: Meditations on the Last Words of Jesus from the Cross by Father Richard John Neuhaus!
Ronald
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I read this for Lent this 2019. It is the best book of Lent devotionals we have read. Nouwen is profound and sometimes, perhaps, beyond my full comprehension. But his unique takes on some of the topics was so meaningful to us. One star is deducted for the terrible misspellings and non-sequiturs in this version. Did anyone even look at the finished product? But Henri's insight into the mission and suffering of our Christ will not be forgotten.

My Kindle edition is filled with
Fiona
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
Not bad.

This is a daily meditation reading during Lent ending in Easter (today). Theres a reading from the Bible then some thoughts about that reading. Subjects range from God Exists to Forgiveness to God is With Us to the Easter passion. Most days the readings were good and thought provoking. However, there were a few days I wondered "what am I reading." This is because the author Nenri Nouwen was a Catholic priest and I am not Catholic. The differences of theology shouldnt have taken away the
Janis
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read through Show Me The Way: Readings for Each Day of Lent for my 2018 Lenten devotions. I have been reading Henri Nouwen's books over the past year or so, and he is now one of my favorite Christian authors. I was unsure whether a compilation would be a good choice. However, I liked the topics and the format (Bible verse, reflections by Nouwen, prayer) worked well for daily contemplation.
Allison P.G.
May 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: devotional
I have read better devotionals than this one.
Rachel A.  Dawson
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-rad-reads, faith
Loved reading through this one throughout Lent (although I admit I didn’t read 100% of it!) — it’s wise, thoughtful, reflective, and poignant. Henri Nouwen is an all time fave, and I’ll come back to this one year after year!
Michelle Kroll
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
Read it at work during Lent.
Jon Stephens
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Show Me The Way (1992) is a book of daily Lenten readings based on the writing’s of Henri Nouwen (1932-1996). Nouwen was a priest, a professor, and an author of numerous books including the well known: The Return of the Prodigal Son.

Each of the daily readings begins with a few verses of scripture, then a selection of Nouwen’s writings, and closes with a prayer. Unlike the other two books I read during Lent, Show Me the Way is not focused on describing ancient culture in great detail and
Hannah
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: holy-moly
This book had an interesting heritage, having been passed down from friend to friend and teacher to teacher until it came to me last year. Having never read Nouwen before - nor having ever had a Lenten devotional specifically - I appreciated the idea of having some sort of guide through the season of Lent. Since I didn't grow up with a liturgical church calendar, I think it's something I appreciate all the more because it's something new for me, so I approached Nouwen's book in this mindset.

I
Meghan
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Meghan by: Mountainside Communion
I tend to feel a bit hesitant about reading daily devotional-type compilations, especially when (as in the case of this book) the theme or argument does not necessarily flow or build upon itself from day to day. And, although Show Me The Way did not completely relieve me of these anxieties, I nevertheless appreciated and found significant merit in the time that I spent with it throughout this year’s Lent.

Each daily reading is compiled of a few poignant vignettes from one or more of Nouwen’s
Terese
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lent is here once again- as Nouwen says: "The season of Lent, during which winter and spring struggle with each other for dominance, helps us in a special way to cry out for God's mercy." This may be one of my favorite books of all time. Definitely a classic and boo - out of print. I would love to give these as gift just before Lent.
In the Name of Jesus is another Nouwen classic that is a must read. His words sear my heart and mind.
Erica
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My church community corporately used Nouwen's Lenten Readings in 2013. My editions did have some typos, though not overly distracting. I have returned to it since and have started it again this year. The length and content fosters slowing and pondering--two things that are important ingredients for a fruitful season in my heart.
Murray
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christianity
This is possibly the best Lenten devotional book I've used. Nouwen's writings are simple but compelling and speak to the heart of what means to be a Christian in today's society. I felt truely feed over the last six and a half weeks. When I feel separated from Christ his writtings will be what I turn to again.
Mark
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very helpful toward entering existentially into the lenten season and all the attendant dark and sober anticipation of Jesus death then joyful resurrection. I always find Nouwen edifying in his explication of our interior life and how following Jesus makes a difference in the realm of the heart.
Jen
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Nouwen, and even better than having a book by him, is a compilation book!! These sections spurred me on spiritually, and was grateful to read through it during it. Sometimes, I wanted to read ahead, but I controlled myself.
RF
Feb 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
Another good lenten read? Nouwen is my favorite spiritual writer - he is a "spiritual director" of sorts in my path of faith.
Lynne
Apr 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Insightful collection from various writings by this author
Brenda Seefeldt
Sufficient for a devotion during Lent. Always good to get some Nouwen in you.
Patrick
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great book to read during the lent season. I highly recommend this book and any book from Henri Nouwen.
Lorna
Mar 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this devotional for Lent and I recommend it for others who are interested!
Mark Lacy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
I am a big fan of Henri Nouwen's writing. But this was very disappointing. It was nothing like his other books. It didn't hang together or inspire me either one.
diane nienhuis
Jan 27, 2008 rated it liked it
My Lent reading...every year.
Phyllis
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
very insightful - a fresh look at the Lenten season
Emily Goldberg
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Nouwen. I'll definitely do this for Lent again next year.
Jamie Cain
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. Great reflections for the Lenten season. Too bad it's out of print and ridiculously expensive now!
Megan
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
This will probably become a yearly reading for me. At least I'll keep it around for future years.

This book really helped me where I am this year. I appreciate Nouwen's words and insight.
Richard Ross
Feb 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really like and recommend anything by Henri Nouwen.
Greta
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read this during lent for the past 3 years. The daily writings and prayers are very poetic. I will continue to make this part of each years lenten devotions
Jessica
Feb 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great devotional made of up pieces from his other works but well placed and picked for the Lenten season. A time of reflection on the life, work, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
Melanie
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book (thanks Jen!) it was a nice devotional for Lent. I especially liked the Good Friday devotional that gave a nice perspective. I would like to read more of his books.

• The House on Tradd Street (Tradd Street, #1)
  • Shameless: A Sexual Reformation
  • A Cup of Holiday Fear (A Bakeshop Mystery, #10)
  • Where's the Dragon?
  • Unwrapping the Names of Jesus: An Advent Devotional
  • Agent Running in the Field
  • The Visitors
  • The Second Mountain
  • The Siberian Dilemma (Arkady Renko #9)
  • The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Book of Dreams
  • The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels
  • Asymmetry
  • Wondrous Encounters: Scripture for Lent
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
“But mortification - literally, "making death" - is what life is all about, a slow discovery of the mortality of all that is created so that we can appreciate its beauty without clinging to it as if it were a lasting possession. Our lives can indeed be seen as a process of becoming familiar with death, as a school in the art of dying . . . all these times have passed by like friendly visitors, leaving you with dear memories but also with the sad recognition of the shortness of life. In every arrival there is a leave-taking; in every reunion there is a separation; in each one's growing up there is a growing old; in every smile there is a tear; and in every success there is a loss. All living is dying and all celebration is mortification too.” 15 likes
“For a Christian is only a Christian when he unceasingly asks critical questions of the society in which he lives and continuously stresses the necessity for conversion, not only of the individual but also of the world.” 0 likes