Start by marking “Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)

Deadly Spells

(Prospero's War #3)

After the grisly murder of a dirty magic coven leader, Kate Prospero and The Magical Enforcement Agency team up with the local police to find the killer. But as the infighting between covens turns ugly, an all-out war brews in the slums of Babylon.

When a tenacious reporter sticks her nose in both the investigation and Prospero's past in the covens, old ghosts r
Published February 10th 2015 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Spells, please sign up.
Jaye There will be a book 4, but I am not sure when it will be released. I have a couple of other projects demanding my attention. But rest assured this…moreThere will be a book 4, but I am not sure when it will be released. I have a couple of other projects demanding my attention. But rest assured this series was never meant to be a trilogy. I have lots more Prospero stories to tell! (less)

Start your review of Deadly Spells (Prospero's War, #3)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
No No No No this Cannot Be the Last Published Instalment in this Series Sob Sob Sob Sob and No No No No No Again MacHaloistic Buddy Reread (NNNtCBtLPIinSSSSaNNNNA™) ☢

Previous rating: 4 stars.
New rating: 5 stars.

I don't know what the bloody freaking shrimp I was on the first time I read this book, but it must have been high quality stuff. I mean, I originally rated this story 4 stars! 4 disgusting, pathetic little stars! I should be ashamed of myself. Such disgraceful behavior on my part should be severely punished (preferably by Morales a certain fede
Choko
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
*** 4.44 ***

A buddy read with the MacHalo Freaks!

OMG!!! This is so unfair!!! Just when things really started to get difficult and convoluted, just when the bastard asshole has really been doing some very sneaky and horrible things and it seems like he is nothing like what we thought he is, just when Kate P. is finally waking up to reality and choosing to change the rules of the game,, we don't get another book??? Publisher of this series, WAKE UP AND ORDER THE REST OF THE BOOKS, FOR
Jilly
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This one was a little bit of a let-down after the first two because there was a lot less of the fun and crazy happenings. I mean, you don't have a crazy leprechaun tossing out a love potion that makes cops turn into cop-strippers in one book and then turn around and have none of those awesome moments in the next one. It's like comparing Star Wars to the Phantom Menace - a disappointment. There is even a lot of political posturing in this one. Really? Like the in the Galactic Senate?

No wonder he turned evil. Listening to the senate all day would drive anyone to destroy a planet.

So, in this book we have a pretty gruesome murder to start off. Sounds promising, yes? No. Not at all. Because after this murder, we get to watch the police and the Magic Enforcement Agency fight over who has jurisdiction. Yup, there's paperwork involved. What could be worse?

Oh yeah. That was worse.

In the meantime, we get to see Anita Blake Kate Prospero go around being a jerk to everyone. And, about that... what's the deal with how she treats her ex? In the first book she says she feels terrible about how she broke up with him 10 years ago and was embarrassed by her actions, but then she treats him like crap every time she sees him. Why? I keep waiting to find out some horrible thing he has done to her to justify her hatred of him, but it never comes. It's not like he directed The Phantom Menace or wrote the Jar Jar Binks character. Then, her hatred would be totally justified.

But, from what I can see, her ex had his heart broken by her, then he got her evil uncle, who was a threat to her, thrown into prison. Since then he looks out for her and her little brother, and he drops everything to help her, see her, or speak to her.

When Kate drugs (hexes) him to make him be a trade exchange for another prisoner:

"What I don't get is why you felt the need to hex me." He turned his head to look me in the eye. "you just had to ask me."

I snorted. "Sure."

"When have I ever denied you anything?" Hell, I'd just offered to blackmail a political rival just so Danny could get back in that school."

Guilt bloomed cold in my gut.

What a horrible monster this man is!!! He is willing to do absolutely anything for this woman - no matter what the danger. No wonder she constantly vows to "bring him down" and screams "I hate you" into his face! He's pure evil.

She does, Grumpy Cat, she really does!

So, basically, this series is losing its luster. In the next book I need a lot more action and funny, reasons why her ex is deserving of her intense hatred (or, even better - have them get together. He is kind of delicious), less Kate being an unreasonable bitch, and a much better mystery. That's your homework, Jaye Wells - snap snap - this book ain't going to write itself.
AH
Not sure if it was just my mood or maybe my lack of reading time, but I found this installment in the Prospero's War series a little dull and missing something that attracted me to this series initially. I did enjoy both books 1 and 2 so I was surprised that I couldn't get into Deadly Spells. There's a lot going on in this book and if you can't make the time to pay attention to all the details and the whole slew of characters, it can be easy to get confused. The murder mystery was OK. I did enjoy the book ...more
Maria Dimitrova
Buddy read with the MaHalos.

Why, oh, why is this the last published instalment??? *sobbing uncontrollably* And there are no plans for publishing a next one in the foreseeable future! *wailing* Things just got so much more interesting! *stomps away*

This was an excellent example of urban fantasy. There was a lot of action, moral dilemmas, magic and all of our favourite characters. And just when things finally got going on so many fronts: (view spoiler)Buddy read with the MaHalos.

This was an excellent example of urban fantasy. There was a lot of action, moral dilemmas, magic and all of our favourite characters. And just when things finally got going on so many fronts: (view spoiler) and I won't get to see how the rest plays out? This isn't fair! We even got a bit of info regarding the rest of the world and covens outside of Babylon. So much wasted potential! Please, please let there be a forth book!

One of the reasons I lied this book so much is the complexity of both the characters and the world. But it's so well written that you don't get boggled down by details, the heavier stuff are interspersed among bouts of excellent humour - the banter between Kate and Morales had me walking around with a stupid grin glued to my face! <--This scared the people that know me, because I'm not a person that smiles a lot. It's the type of book, that while realistic in showing how screwed up and corrupted the world is, it still makes you feel good, feel as if there's still a chance for a better future. And that's something we all desperately need in the increasingly violent world.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.com/2015/02/13/b...

Ever since the release of Dirty Magic a year ago, I’ve been hearing such great things the Prospero’s War series, which is why over the holiday season I decided to take the plunge and binge read the first and second books. And that’s the story of how I got hooked into yet another urban fantasy series, as well as my first introduction to the work of Jaye Wells.

Meet protagonist Kate Prospero, former scion of a dirty magic coven who has turned h
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Kate, just have sex, please? The sexual confusion in this book is frustrating. I'm not sure if this book is a paranormal romance or urban fantasy. Not that it makes much of a difference because I whipped through the book in a few hours after reading the 2nd book.

Kate is now has 3 different men to choose from. John will definitely open his arms to her anytime she wants to walk back into them. I think he should give it up. Kate is unusually cruel to him and I don't think he deserves it, even afte
Cyndi
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book! I love the world building and the overall plot line. Our heroine is trying to succeed as a cop while juggling family and romance. Meanwhile murder and mayhem abounds. Can she stop the bad guys while using only clean magic? Can she stop the old boyfriend who wants to become more powerful and use underhanded tactics to do it? Good story!
Melliane
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I had a great time with the first and second book and it’s true that I was eager to immerse myself in the sequel since the end of the previous volume. I must say that each of the characters manages to take us with them and I was curious to find out what would happen afterwards.

So we find our dear Kate Prospero who is facing a new survey. Indeed, it seems that the head of her former clan was assassinated, which could trigger a war. Since the
Shelley
*Genre* Urban Fantasy
*Rating* 3.0

*My Thoughts*

"You don’t like the game, change the rules."

Deadly Spells is the third installment in the Prospero's War series. Spells picks up 5 months after the end of Cursed Moon. Babylon PD Detective Kate Prospero and the team from Magical Enforcement Agency (MEA), must once again enter the world of coven politics when a member of Kate's former coven is brutally murdered, and all indications are that Kate's ex-boyfriend and Babylon's n/>"You
Lila

2,5 stars

I'll repeat same line I used in previous reviews:

Great premise, weak execution.

When I heard this series is set in world where magic potions are illegal, and magic covens are in criminal business of cooking and distributing them to streets, I thought it sounded amazing. I wasn't surprised when Wells shared news about selling TV option for this series, because this premise is *made* for screen.

Unfortunately, it never lived up to my expectations.
Author focused more o/>
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A coven war is brewing, and the MEA is running out of time to stop it in this thrilling installment in the Prospero’s War series.

Opening Sentence: There was a body in the church.

The Review:

Things have been quiet the past few months for Kate Prospero and the MEA task force. That all changes when they’re called in to assist on a particularly grisly murder scene. Kate immediately recognizes the vi
Linda
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a tough one to rate. The review at the Saucy Wenches captured many of my own thoughts:

Mostly, though, I found myself getting increasingly annoyed at Kate's alternating moralizing and projecting her own shortcomings on others. Frankly, I wanted to slap her a lot. She plays holier-than-thou with just about everyone, yet does some shitty things herself,
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’ve been a fan of Jaye Wells’ books since the RED-HEADED STEPCHILD days. It’s her gritty, plot-driven stories and kickass heroines that keep me coming back for more so when this new series came out, I was excited to read a police procedural Urban Fantasy as dark as the magic it was inspired by.

Book one in the series absolutely blew me away, book two confused me a little bit with Kate’s character, and unfortunately, with this one, book three in the series, I just lost interest in it. I don’t know wha
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
NOTE: Per the author, this series is not meant to be a trilogy. There may or may not be additional books after Deadly Spells.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2015/0...

Deadly Spells regains what I felt was a bit lost in Cursed Moon. This is a stronger and more enjoyable book and I never felt the pace slow down or my interest waiver. There is a murder in the beginning of the book (this is hardly surprising, I mean Kate is a detective). But this turns out to be a member of her former Coven, someone she was quite familiar with. And it seems there is an emerging Coven war. As one might expect, Volos (Kate’s ex, current mayor,
Jen Davis
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another very good installment in the Propero’s War series. Jaye Wells has crafted a heroine who is easy for me to understand and to root for. She’s had a tough life and made bad choices, but she works herself to the bone every day to be something better. Her past haunts her and sometimes it comes back to bite her, but she keeps fighting the good fight… for herself, for her little brother, and for a city that teeters on the brink of total corruption. Plus, there is just enough of a hint of romanc ...more
Jessie Potts
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why you should read it: This is book three and you HAVE to read the first two. I fell for Jaye's writing with Red Headed Stepchild (you must get it on audio), and this is her Prospero's War series. Kate is a butt-kicking heroine, and I love reading about her cases at the Magical Enforcement Agency. This installment has everything the first two have (plus an ending that will make you want to strangle the book), and was filled with a coven war, killers and one nosy reporter. I loved it, and fans o ...more
Katelyn (Lost as Alice, Mad as the Hatter)
"...the thing is, being right isn't always enough."

Actual Rating: 3.6

Okay...so we turned this series back around. The crime is more organized. The characters are less drama prone. The blackmail is held by more powerful individuals. The power plays are raising the stakes. And, the politics are blurring more lines and making unlikely bed fellows become bosom buddies of the familial sort.

"Where a person spends their time is the truest indicator of their priorities."

Kate has spent a lot of time in/>
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)

See this review and others like it at Badass Book Reviews!

Deadly Spells is a hard book for me to review because, as much as I love the Prospero's War series, something just felt a little off to me here. The story was still fast-paced and intriguing but I ended the book thinking, "Hmmmm... okay... what was missing?"

Deadly Spells starts off with the murder of a coven leader, a coven that Kate Prospero just happened to belong to at one time. As the investigation goes along, many of the different covens are b/>Deadly/>Deadly/>See
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jaye Wells’ Deadly Spells was one wicked conclusion to her Prospero’s War trilogy! It was yet another exciting and action packed Urban Fantasy read that just makes me love the genre even more! Granted, in this series the paranormal elements are rather light, it’s still a kickass kind of read!

A few months have gone by since the events of the last book, and surprise, surprise, John Volos is now mayor. The man who continues to infuriate Kate on several levels continues to haunt her life
Dolly Sandor
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Very glad this is not the end of this series!!

What I liked: There was an error on Goodreads that indicated this would be a trilogy. I think every one panicked, including me. The world Ms Wells has created in this series is certainly worthy and entertaining enough for more than three books!

The previous book, Cursed Moon wasn't my favorite. I'm not sure which is harder for the writer, the first book or the second. So much to establish in the first entry but enough to keep the reader h
Stacy
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't find DEADLY SPELLS to be as heavy feeling as CURSED MOON, but there was still plenty of action, suspense, drama and sneaky situations involved.

While Kate and Drew work to solve their latest crime we get to learn more about Gardner's past in book 3. We get to see a pretty different side to her and I loved how the team rallied into action when they needed to. John Volos is once again pretty involved in the storyline. I never really know his intentions, but Kate did a really good job keep
LilyElement
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kate Prospero returns in book three of the Prospero's War series. This time around Kate is on a case trying to find out who is attempting to start a coven war. She works for the Magical Enforcement Agency aka MEA trying to get dirty potions off the streets and solve crimes. When a coven member winds up dead, Kate knows something is amiss and there will be other coven members seeking revenge. You know it's going to be really bad when some of the big coven leaders are going in hiding or leaving to ...more
Mina Khan
So I again started in the middle of the series, instead of with book one...seems to be a chronic habit of mine. Anyhow, I must give kudos to Wells because I never felt lost. She gives just enough back story for the reader to be clued in without slowing the pace down.

I'm definitely a fan on paranormal mysteries and this didn't disappoint. The villain was delicious!

My favorite part of the book was the character arc of the main character, Katie. She's complex and her growth
Darcy
Kate seems to face some hard truths in this book. Truths about herself, her family and what she expects from life. Some of those truths were hard to take for her, others were more of an awakening. While I didn't like the conversation Kate had with her boss, her boss brought up some good points, life isn't black and white. I liked the last 2 choices that Kate made, one that will ultimately protect herself and one that will hopefully bring her happiness.

I'm also proud of Danny and the
Robin
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
More like 4 1/2. This is the best book in the series so far but I get annoyed at how Kate treats John. Maybe there isn't enough back story to make me believe there is a good enough reason for her rancor. I don't know, but she never gives him a break even when he's trying really hard to help her out. And Gardner is right. Kate is a little too rigid. That said it was a good story with good characters.
Definitely not as good as the predecessors, but I liked the ending and it wasn't terrible overall. I'd give it more of a 3.5 - nothing too special, though it doubt it will leave me anything to remember.
Vanessa *the Pixie Princess*
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one!! The characters in this series are so great. I really hope that more books will be written in this series.
Zee1
Dec 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Hmmm.. still processing this one.

Update : Here's my review for The Saucy Wenches!

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Chasing Magic (Downside Ghosts, #5)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Sacrificial Magic (Downside Ghosts, #4)
  • Finding Magic (Downside Ghosts, #0.5)
  • Fury of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #6)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Touch of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #5)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Black Howl (Black Wings, #3)
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • Black Lament (Black Wings, #4)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
Jaye Wells is a former magazine editor whose award-winning speculative fiction novels have hit several bestseller lists. She holds an MFA in Writing Popular Fiction from Seton Hill University, and is a sought-after speaker on the craft of writing. When she’s not writing or teaching, she loves to travel to exotic locales, experiment in her kitchen like a mad scientist, and try things that scare her ...more

Prospero's War (4 books)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • Cursed Moon (Prospero's War, #2)
  • Volatile Bonds (Prospero's War, #4)