Start by marking “The American President: A Complete History: Detailed Biographies, Historical Timelines, Inaugural Speeches ” as Want to Read:

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  39 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
After four years in the White House, Martin Van Buren quipped, "As to the presidency, the two happiest days of my life were those of my entrance upon the office and my surrendeer of it." Even Thomas Jefferson--one of the country's Founding Fathers--struggled with the realities of the job, saying, "No man will ever bring out of the presidency the reputation which carried hi ...more
807 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Barnes & Noble Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The American President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The American President

Johnrh
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I didn't read all the inaugural speeches, if you'll forgive me that omission. Perhaps because of my lifelong predilection for history (How did we get here? Why are we making the same mistakes again?), this was one of the most enjoyable and educational books I've read in a long time. One couldn't ask for a better, more concise, review of American history and its' presidents. (It covers up through George W. Bush and 2005.)

Additional comments: Most presidents had a passion for politics and started
Jul 23, 2008 rated it liked it
There needs to be a catagory for mostly read, or skimmed. I didn't read every single page of this book, simply for the fact that I never would have finished it! There were so many timelines to follow, cabinet appointments, etc., that I read what was interesting to me and skipped the not-so-interesting. Plus, I'm a total fact geek. Really. I would love to be on Jeopardy someday. I loved reading about the presidents, their lives, stories, interesting sidenotes, accomplishments and failures. It sat ...more
Zane
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a presidential trivia guru, and this book is the pinnacle of everything essential you need to know about every president from Washington to Clinton (it has George W. in it, but it was published during his second term, and as such is incomplete in regards to his presidency).
It includes every inaugural address ever given, and I applaud its conciseness and sheer volume. I still use it for reference, and I probably will never grow tired of it.
Cindy
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good brief vignettes of US Prez backgrounds and their paths to office, along with their complete inauguration speeches, form a clear review and reference for key facts of American history. For example, I verified that our 44th Prez is just the 43rd distinct man to be sworn in to our highest office.
Ellison
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exhaustive collection of data about the men who served as the President of the United States. Each is profiled, their cabinets are mentioned, their appointments to the Supreme Court, the Nation Debt during their time in office and more. Insightful.
Emily