Start by marking “In the High Valley” as Want to Read:
In the High Valley

In the High Valley

(Carr Family #5)

Lionel Young and his sister, Imogen, set out for the picturesque but remote High Valley in Colorado, leaving their hometown in Devonshire, England behind. Lionel wants to take the share in Geoffrey Templestowe’s cattle business. Imogen, owing to her prejudices against America and the American way of life, finds it hard to adjust to life over there.

Clover Templestowe, now h
Published August 31st 2004 by Girls Gone By (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about In the High Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the High Valley

Lillerina
The sole purpose of this book was to marry off the remaining children. Whatever.
J. Boo
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
A dull close to the series. Imogen is jealous of Clover and behaves irritatingly until Coolidge's typical deus ex machina of an illness sets her right, whereupon she becomes irritating in a pro-Clover direction. Characters you recognize from earlier in the series show up explicitly to make a final bow. Some funny bits (a description of New York as a frontier town subject to Indian attacks from an American pulling an Englishwoman's leg, a few jokes about servants, etc) keep it above one star, but ...more
Kristi
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the whole series, although this was perhaps my least favorite. I still enjoyed the book but it felt like the author was frantically trying to marry everyone off and tie it all up with a nice bow. I thought that there wasn't enough time and effort put into developing the relationships between the sweethearts. That said, I once again enjoyed how the author takes high-minded concepts and brings them into real life situations. We all like to think of ourselves as good people who are willing ...more
Hilary Tesh
May 30, 2014 rated it liked it
The final volume of the five Carr Family stories in which Lionel and his sister Imogen join the small community in High Valley, where we are unsurprised to discover Elsie has married Clarence and the two couples, with their children, are all living happily under one roof. This is a story about adjustment of attitude and lifestyle, as Imogen finds it hard to settle into the valley at first but ...well to say more would to be to give away an albeit predictable but happy ending! Yet again, Susan Co ...more
Sue
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't even know that this existed until I found it free for my Kindle. Fifth in the series about 'Katy' and her family, this is set mostly in Colorado, and features a young English brother and sister, Lionel and Imogen, who move out to work with Clover and Elsie's husbands. I very much appreciated the gradual culture adjustment that Imogen struggles with, having gone through very similar feelings despite living nearly a century later.

The plot inevitably involves a rather too tidy double roma
Alicia
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was ok

OK, I think I see why these last two weren't in print when I was a kid--they are super boring compared to the first three. This last one in particular is kind of a dud. It introduces a couple of new characters, but one isn't interesting and the other is pretty insufferable, at least until Clover teaches her otherwise, of course. And they then inevitably get married off, also of course. There's no conflict in these last two books and there's less cute stuff
Karin
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the other Katy books but a nice closure to the series.

It felt like i was being told about their lives rather than being pulled into their lives.
A.R. Collins
Feb 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
None of the What Katy Did sequels lives up to the original for me, but this is something else. I did like the setting, and the idea of running a ranch in a valley with only a few family members in close proximity (I don't suppose for a moment that I've got what it takes to do something like that, but I love the idea all the same). The historical context was very interesting too, with the setting up of settlements in the western USA. Unfortunately, this wasn't enough to save this book.

For starter
Jennifer Ricks
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I can't believe she's done it again!

I was expecting this to be a continuation of Clover, especially as it's about the High Valley, but instead she's created another totally new story. I'm so impressed!

Starting in England and being in Imogene's perspective is so different and new. I know she'll tie into the Carr family somehow in the end, but I'm still so excited to find out how. I'm going to be sad when the series is over!

LATER
I loved that it was a travel story about crossing the U.S. I thought
Deborah
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In which Susan M Coolidge ties up all the loose ends by way of two English siblings (she does sibling relationships very well). I'm not entirely convinced Miss Joanna Carr will settle properly in the High Valley - she seems more of a society girl than Clover or Elsie, but maybe I've misjudged her.

Imogen is, frankly, a pain in the neck, but her home country is captured well (bits of Devon are still like that today) and her misplaced superiority rings very true. Nice to see the awful (but amusing)
Susan Grossey
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
I have been a Katy fan since I was little, and a few months ago my lovely husband came home clutching "Clover" and "In the High Valley" - the two sequels that I had not read.

To be honest, they are not quite as engaging as the original three Katy books, and perhaps a little heavy on the religious overtones, but it was such a pleasure to read about the early days of settlement in Colorado - what an adventure! And there is always something so pleasing to see people paired off in happy couples - I w
Lilian
Feb 01, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the least enjoyable of the five books in the series. Maybe it was because the (nominal) main characters did not seem to be the subject of the book - rather the focus switched back and forth without any true protagonist, but also without managing to make me feel quite as involved in any of the characters lives as I have previously done. I also knew how the book would end very early on - with the other four, there was an element of surprise that is sorely lacking here. Still, a very easy ...more
Meredith Galman
Oct 30, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: online
Stiff English girl comes to Colorado, is won over by the wonderfulness of the Carr sisters. Notable for the hint of homoeroticism when Imogen presses her gratitude on Clover, leaving Clover to exclaim that it's like a declaration of attachment. Fortunately for the tender sensibilities of her innocent early-twentieth-century readers, there quickly comes along the dull brother (Dorry) we haven't heard so much about to nip the same-sex romance in the bud. Meanwhile, Imogen's brother marries the rem ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
Jul 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This last book in the Carr family series, or What Katy Did series, is sweet like all the others. It pairs up all the remaining family members who weren't married yet. The book starts out in England, following a character named Imogen, and at first it only seemed like we would see the Carr family tangentially, but then Imogen arrived in Colorado, and we did get to see the family. In this series, I prefer the first three books, I think, but it was nice to read this series finale!
CuteBadger
The fifth and final Katy book (well, more a Carr book I suppose), in which everyone who has not previously married is matched up and everyone moves out West who is not already there.

It's nice to have the series finished off, but I felt this was the weakest of the books as it's entirely taken up with romances, mariages and babies. Characters who exhibit any (quite normal) personality flaws are made to see the error of their ways and end up in the Carr way of thinking.
Lara
Last of the series, not my favourite. Less of the 'snapshot in time' of the previous novel, lacking in the charming anecdotes of the '...at school' novel, lumbered with an unpleasant character and generally very predictable. Nice to have the series finished off, and lovely to revisit Colorado through the eyes of an author who clearly loved the place.
Katy
Jul 07, 2013 rated it liked it
The last of the Katy series. More interesting than the previous two, but the ending was not very satisfying and all of the female characters seem to end up having the exact same personality. They all live happily ever after, as polite well-dressed housewives who are good at decorating but not too snobby.
Julia
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really quite enjoyed reading these. I know they are 'childrens' books but sometimes a little nice light reading!! Glad that What Katy Did Next was a 2nd reading group choice though it did lead me to continue reading the series. They are really Mills & Boons for young girls! All very predictable but hey .....
C.
Apr 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
I honestly thought that this series didn't need to be continued after the third book and I was disappointed in this book. While it was nice to read about Clover and Elsie and their families, I didn't find this book enjoyable at all.
Beth
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the final book in the Katy series. There's not much about Katy in this one, it's mostly about Clover. But it's a good book.
The formatting of the printing wasn't that great, making it a little harder to read, but on the whole it was a nice way to end the series.
Sarah Mackey
May 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
God, this was satisfying. I had no idea this book existed until now, and suddenly I have resolution on all of my beloved childhood friends.
Claire
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Definitely not as good as the first four books in the series.
Hels
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Simply a nice story. Everyone loves happy endings once in a while, and this book makes sure that there are plenty!
Amy Griffith
Sep 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first book, but once you fall in love with the Carr family in What Katy Did, most readers will want to read as much about them as they can.
123bex
Sep 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Very sweet. I didn't like it quite as much as Clover, and of course nothing compares to my beloved What Katy Did, but it was a nice, funny, dated little read. I'm very glad to have found these books.
Lily
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-reads, ya, historical
Similar formula, I enjoyed seeing imogen's transformation. Kind of sad that I've now read them all.
Lisa Rowles
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it
A little twee as it winds up the stories of Katy, Clover, Elsie, Dorry, Johnnie and Phil but an enjoyable read all the same.
Lynn Smith
An enjoyable completion of the What Katy Did series which I obtained from my local library in the 70s.
Yorky Caz
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a lovely book and so great to tie up all the loose ends highly recommend
Haeja
Jun 19, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: wishlist
I didn't even know this and the book Clover existed. I must now scour a lot of sites just to get my hands on a copy of this :< I just really love this series!

• A Garland for Girls
  • Winona's Pony Cart (Deep Valley, #3)
  • Mother
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • The School at the Chalet
  • Heidi's Children (Heidi sequel, #3)
  • A School of Her Own (Grandma's Attic #6)
  • Just Jane (Ladies of History, #2)
  • Ashton Park (The Danforths of Lancashire #1)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Flambards in Summer (Flambards, #3)
  • Edmund Bertram's Diary (Jane Austen Heroes, #4)
Sarah Chauncey Woolsey was an American children's author who wrote under the pen name Susan Coolidge.

Woolsey was born January 29, 1835, into the wealthy, influential New England Dwight family in Cleveland, Ohio. Her father was John Mumford Woolsey (1796–1870) and mother was Jane Andrews. She spent much of her childhood in New Haven Connecticut after her family moved there in 1852.

Woolsey worked a