Start by marking “Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)

Tempting Fate

(The MacGregors #2)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts, the saga of The MacGregors continues with the story of a man and woman at odds when it comes to practicing law—only to find common desires that put both their hearts on trial.

Attorney Caine MacGregor has never lost a case. His combative persona serves his clients well in the courtroom, and his persuasive arguments hav
Published September 6th 2013 by Mills & Boon (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Tempting Fate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempting Fate

Start your review of Tempting Fate (The MacGregors, #2)
Jonetta
Attorney Caine MacGregor is given the task of picking up Diana Blade from the airport for her first visit with her brother Justin since she was 6-years old. He was unprepared for the cool and sophisticated woman who was the ultimate in control. Diana had the edge as she was well aware of Caine by reputation but was unprepared to find him to be so genuine. Their attraction was immediate and obvious.

I really enjoyed the start of this story when Caine & Diana first meet and she later reunites with
Mary
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the book, love the series. I'm having such good time rereading these books
Anita
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle-own
When Serena MacGregor Blade reaches out to her husband's estranged sister, Diana, she has no idea how a reunion would go. But good or bad, some things needed to be faced and settled. When Caine MacGregor meets Diana, he sees a strong, confident woman, a bit on the cool side, but Caine is confident he can warm her up without to much trouble, if he chose to do so.

Diana's upbringing left her with a cold, impertraniable façade that Caine found irresistible. His challenge was to chip away at the ice
Gina *loves sunshine*
Back to my reread of a series I loved 20 years ago! The MacGregor clan and specifically the Patriarch is back at it again in his matchmaking meddling. This love story wasn't nearly as good as the first, but still satisfying. As I plan to make my way through the series again - not sure at what pace. I will do a recap for my own memory below...may be a spoiler or 2.

Sarena's brother Caine has found his match with Justin's sister, Diane. Both lawyers. Not much spark or tension - but good enough, Th
Eve
Series: The MacGregors, #2

tf-nr

I've read lots of stories by Nora Roberts but something really bothered me about this book. It never grabbed me. It sounded outdated. I didn't like the writing style nor cared for one-dimensional characters.

Diana was supposed to be a strong and confident woman but I didn't see it. Caine with his smoking and grabbing sounded offputting. Diana went to visit her estranged brother but instead of talking things over with him, she's kissing his brother-in-law. Perhaps I
Saly
I really enjoyed this oldie, the relationship between the two and how it developed and for a change even the heroine's doubts didn't annoy me because they made sense because of her past. ...more
Jess
This one didn't work as well for me this time--I think it's just too much man knows best, even if all the internal stuff supports him. And that's something I give NR enormous credit for, she's very good at laying down that work to support character action even when they're saying other things. ...more
Candice
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: try-again
Edited to add: you can definitely tell this is early on in Nora's career. The romance "formula" that most romances are written with was totally blatant and the flow was hard to follow. Both are things Nora is a master at not doing. So ... yeah.

I just couldn't do it. Maybe its because originally this was a "pocket romance" (a silhouette or harlequin type of thing). I've never had a Nora book I could not read. But I tried and failed with this one (though I have read it before).

Diana was just ...
Cindi
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another MacGregor clan story, another thumbs up!!
April
Jan 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unread shelf project 2020: book 6.

I enjoyed this second novel in the MacGregors series a little more than I did the first. There were still overtones of forcing sexual action because Caine thought that Diana wanted it... which, in this case, was true, but I’m not a fan of the message that sends to the general population. Which is why my 4 star rating was rounded down to a 3.

I’ll be curious how the rest of this series lives up to the first two books. I’m also curious how her later books compare a
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Tempting Fate (The MacGregors)

The love story of Caine and Diana. Diana is the sister of Justin Blade. She has live with their aunt still she was 6 and thought her aunt give her everything. Caine is the son of Daniel MacGregors and a renown lawyer. He met Diana in AC, NJ. Both have a Harvard law degree. He offer to rent her part of his offices and clients he cannot handle. Will they also find love? Great story.
AliciaJ
I think I probably loved this story the first time I read it, which was probably 20 or so years ago. But rereading it now had me cringing with some of the scenes where Caine would grab Diane or just ignore her when she would protest his behavior. Adding to my discomfort is the fact that I just didn't really care for either character or their romance. I doubt that I'll read the next book in the series. ...more
Cindy
I vaguely remember reading this series in the early 90s, passed to me by my mom as she finished them. Still excellent stories.
Juliana Philippa
This is the second story in The MacGregors Serena & Caine and I liked it better than Playing the Odds, Serena and Justin's story. Caine and Diana are great characteres and their love story doesn't suffer too much for being a novella - and thus short. ...more
Eti
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
The second book in the MacGregor series.
Tempting Fate is an outstanding book of two people who are very different and very similar.

Diana Blade is a woman who's never known what a family feels like. She keeps her life separate and made and oath not to complicate her life.And then caine came along...

Caine is as always a fun guy and being a lawyer makes him a strong opponent in battle so when he decided to destroy Diana’s wall for feelings things go beyond than just friendship.
Ashley Christensen
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-the-nora
A MacGregor Book!
This one is about Caine MacGregor and Diana Blade, who, incidentally, is Justin Blade’s sister. Who is married to Caine’s sister, Serena MacGregor.
Here’s another thing that I feel like happens more often in books and movies than in real life – siblings of spouses fall in love, too!
Granted, Justine and Diana are quite a few years apart in age, and also did not spend a significant number of years together. But… still. One of those weird “it seems okay in media but would cause you
Kylie Flint
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shanice Singh
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: print-books
When Diana Blade receives an invite from her sister-in-law to meet her brother after several years, she accepts it albeit reluctantly.
But while she is trying to reconcile the man her brother is with the boy she knew growing up, she gets to know his best friend and brother-in-law, Caine MacGregor.
Caine's reputation precedes him- both personally and professionally.
Diana has heard all about Caine and his conquests and has no desire to be another one of them. But when Caine decides to expand his pra
Jessi
Caine MacGregor has yet to be impressed by Diana Blade. She's the sister of the man who is about to marry Caine's sister but she sure doesn't act like it. Gorgeous, but cold, she acts nothing like anyone he's ever known.
Diana is nervous. She hasn't seen her brother since they were children. The aunt who raised her has her convinced that he is close to the devil himself. Not that her aunt was the best but Diana is still cautious, everyone in her life has left. And she knows Caine's reputation. Ju
Jenny Delandro
Chitra *CJ*
When Justin's estranged younger sister Diana is invited by Serena to visit them, she never imagined she would end up meeting Serena's charming older brother Caine.
Both are lawyers by profession, and cautious by nature.
It's insta attraction for them, and how they fall for each other and fight Diana's issues is the story.
I loved meeting the family again. However I felt Diana had a LOT of insecurities, and Caine had to fight tooth and nail to conquer them. At one point, I did get frustrated by her
Rereading the MacGregor series has been fun. What is crazy is how little I remember of these books - almost like I'm reading a brand-new book every time. Before, I rated these books as compilations (Serena and Caine, Alan and Grant, etc.). But that didn't really tell me which books I really liked - just which compilation. Overall, I enjoyed Caine and Diana's story - 3.5 stars.

*PSA - Listen to my friends' Nora Roberts podcast, Romancing the Shelf - they are taking a deep dive into the MacGregor s
Apoorva
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book that reflects woman's mind and her insecurities. It also illustrates woman's hunger to prove her identity. I just love the book and the narration. The inner conflicts of Diana is much relatable.
Kay
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Another Nora Roberts series I missed, The MacGregors. And again, what can I say? She writes with many twists and turns with great character development. Love her books as she usually ends all her books with a warm, fuzzy feeling. Looking forward to rest of series.
Janet
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Hope
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific read! ☺
This series is one where all the characters are believable and you just know you could be friends with them, regardless of your lack of social status. 😄
I can't wait to dive into the next book.
Johanna Latham
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
So clichéd it was painful to read. I generally like Nora Roberts, but this book took me nearly 4 weeks to struggle through. I started and finished 8 other books before i managed to finish this one. Annoying characters and a plot that was ultra formulaic.
Elizabeth
I haven't read the first story in the series but I enjoyed Diana's and Caine's story. I had the feeling it was written some years ago and there were some 'grey" areas regarding consent in the story but I liked the development of the romance and the MacGregor clan was fun to read about
Apr 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This really didn’t age well- Caine is a forceful jerk who doesn’t listen, and Diana is of course a powerhouse at work (naturally) but way too weak in her personal life. She allows everyone to treat her terribly. Ugh, it was bad.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Nora Roberts Grou...: Tempting Fate (The MacGregors #2) - September 2020 19 22 Oct 12, 2020 11:14AM
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including Hideaway, Under Currents, Come Sundown and coming in November 2020 -- The Awakening -- the first book in The Dragon Heart Legacy. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print. ...more

The MacGregors (10 books)
  • Playing The Odds (The MacGregors, #1)
  • All The Possibilities (The MacGregors, #3)
  • One Man's Art (The MacGregors, #4)
  • For Now, Forever (The MacGregors, #5)
  • Rebellion (The MacGregors, #6)
  • The MacGregor Brides (The MacGregors, #7)
  • The Winning Hand (The MacGregors, #8)
  • The MacGregor Grooms (The MacGregors, #9)
  • The Perfect Neighbor (The MacGregors, #10)