Start by marking “Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability” as Want to Read:
Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability

Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  208 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Over 85% of Americans today express concern about health and the environment, but only a small fraction say they know where to begin. Whether you are concerned about climate change, personal health, or just want to live more lightly on the planet, this book is for you. It helps you get past the worry and take positive action to improve both your health and the health of ou ...more
Published November 1st 2006 by Freedom Publishing Company (IL)

To ask other readers questions about Living Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living Green

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinQuidditch Through the Ages by Kennilworthy WhispThe Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
Greenest Books Ever
1,660 books — 485 voters
The Lorax by Dr. SeussThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinTrue Green by Kim MckayTEACHERS IN THE FOREST by Barry W. BabcockThe Green Reaper by Elizabeth Fournier
Green Books
19 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracie
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Meh, there are definitely better things to read if you want advice on how to "live green". This one was a little too scare-tactic-y, and most of the recommendations require spending a lot of money on things like organic mattresses and new houses built out of sustainable materials. Also, dude was CEO of GNC, so I'm not really going to be able to take him too seriously.
Tortla
Oct 03, 2010 added it
Recommends it for: credulous tree-huggers
Recommended to Tortla by: Whole Foods
Shelves: for-guidance
Redundant, occasionally misinformed, amateurish, and self-aggrandizing.

Horn frequently references his personal triumphs in becoming holier-than-thou. And he cites Wikipedia like it's a credible source. There's a lot of self-congratulatory nonsense about how knowledge is power and green is the new red-white-and-blue.

That said, Horn does offer some valid tips: cutting back on sugars/fried foods/processed stuff; eating fresh, organic, whole foods; not using products with harsh chemicals in your ho
Amy
Jul 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: eco-friendly
I liked the resources in the back.
Carlynn
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic! While it is a pretty quick read (less than two hundred pages), it is stocked full of incredibly useful and important information. Reading this inspires me to consider how to live sustainably in every aspect of my life, not simply when it comes to food or other common sense products. Not only does he discuss the impact many every-day household items have on our health, but he also describes their impact on the environment and what we can do to help. The resource guide in t ...more
Danger Kallisti
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Somebody looking for an intro to hippieism who's still too mainstream to dive right in.
Shelves: hippie
Not that I would have bought the thing full-price, but it came free with some green-drink mix at Whole Foods. The guy who wrote it seemed like sort of a yuppie obsessed with immortality, but those types still seem to be doing more good things for ecology than most.

Actually, though I'm already doing about 90% of the stuff in this book, it was a good resource, and it did teach me a couple of things I didn't know. For instance, recent findings show that Lexan polycarbonate (i.e. Nalgene bottles) ca
Elizabeth Renton
Apr 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who care about the environment
I'm only halfway through this book (just in time for earth day!) but I love it already. Sustainability is an important principle of landscape architecture, and I try to incorporate it in my work every day, but this book gives helpful ways that you can practice sustainability at home.easy things like eating organic, avoiding all exposure to certian types of plastics (NEVER PUT ANYTHING PLASTIC IN THE MICROWAVE!!), drinking tap water instead of bottled water, using makeup with natural ingredients. ...more
Erik Akre
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those wishing to live more sustainably; those ready to act on it
Shelves: human-ecology
My notes for this book consist entirely of very specific recommendations Horn makes for sustainable living practices. Indeed, that's all the book is. As such, it is incredibly thorough and will be a catalyst for anyone wanting to live more sustainably. Each section not only makes recommendations, but goes through their reasoning at the same time.

Categories Include: Food and Drink, Clothing, Cosmetics and Body Care, Water Use, Energy Use and Carbon Emission, Home Sustainability, and Recycling. Th
Marcela Freig
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Easy read, good advise. There are some easy changes one can do to live a more sustainable life. Changes that I personally made after reading the book, like reducing my take out food intake, buying in bulk, offsetting carbon emissions, etc.
However I would really like to meet the author to see if he really has made all the changes he promotes, some of them are over the top and quite impractical. Does he really make his own shampoo? Does he have a wind turbine in his back yard?

Astrid
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eco-friendly
This was an interesting read mostly because it tied our own individual health to the health of the planet. Many books tackle environmental issues from a moral, financial or conservationist angle, many of which do not resonate with the majority of the population. Hopefully, the issues as presented in this book will prompt folks to start saving the planet.
Deanne
Feb 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
A introduction to "living green" however not all suggestions are practical for the average middle class family. I.e. an all natural mattress? These are generally above 2,000. and out of reach for most.

Good references for reducing your carbon footprint, and a good start to begin researching the products in your household.
Heather Mccracken
Jul 01, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: on the fence
This book is just alright in my opinion. The author does pose some neat ideas on how to live sustainably. However, he has too far a radical view on some things - i found it annoying at times. Its a quick easy read and if you are interested in finding new ways to "live green" its worth at least a skim through.
Jill
Feb 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jill by: Eric Marley
Very enlightening...I changed alot about how I live because of info in this book. This is a real guys experiences and the info he found to solve his medical issues.He doesn't give a bunch of his opinions ect. he has links and books ect. for you to check out on your own. Fast read read it in one day and keep going back to it for reference.
Carlo
May 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Easy read - short. still Chalk full of valuable information for the every day person. Written by the former CEO of GNC. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to be more aware about health for themselves and their environment.
Amanda
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and enlightening. It's realistically written for the world we live in today...showing the reader how to make small changes to improve their own health while contributing to the environment and decreasing their carbon footprint!
Jill
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book had some good basic information about what chemicals are in everyday products, but was pretty boring to read. He talked about his own personal life and green company way too much instead of providing more informative information.
Alaina
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I bought this book on an impulse while in Boulder and it is the best thing I've done in a long, long time. In two short weeks I've already made many simple changes in my lifestyle that can help improve our environment and my health. Highly recommended for everyone.
Sara
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, cleaning
Most of the material here was common sense, and some was a little too extreme (not sure about putting a wind turbine in my backyard!), but I did learn some things. I like the list of resources in the back.
Tiffany
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
So far, so good, but since it's taking me so stinking long, I'm putting it off for a while, and sticking with engrossing novels for my trip to Hawaii! Is it a vacation unless you read some literature that doesn't necessarily better you as a person! I think not.
jacalyn
May 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
an easy read for the basics of health and sustainability. sort of a coffee table book for health nerds. first half is interesting. it drags toward the end. i get it. you want me to go to your website.
Jordan
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book 4.5 stars if possible. It was full of some great info but I feel that it was a bit repetitive at times. Also, I feel that he was focused a little more on the health aspect and a little less on the eco friendly stuff.
Overall, lots of great tips.
Heather
Dec 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in living a little "lighter" on the earth
Very short, simple, easy to read book with practical advice for living a little lighter on the earth. A good intro book for someone who is just getting into or interested in learning about green living. Good food for thought without being too heavy.
Heather
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Often more general but still good to know what to focus on
April
Apr 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Save the earth and learn about the harsh things we put into our bodies.
Tamara
Sep 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, ecology
Some useful information.
Michael Crimmins
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Positive message, but in a very negative way.
Chanel
Jul 21, 2007 added it
just started this
Kellie
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I very good resource. I frequently go back to this book.
Kim
Oct 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was an easy read. It was a good reminder about how to live eco-friendly.
Raleigh
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Very simple and practical guidelines on how to live a environmentally friendly life which is both healthier for the self as well as the world.
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
This was a bit over my head, but a very good factual book to learn from.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • The Consumer's Guide to Effective Environmental Choices: Practical Advice from The Union of Concerned Scientists
  • Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle
  • The Green Book: The Everyday Guide to Saving the Planet One Simple Step at a Time
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Non-Toxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, and, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • Generation Green: The Ultimate Teen Guide to Living an Eco-Friendly Life
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • The Better World Shopping Guide: How Every Dollar Can Make a Difference
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
  • How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breathe Easier, and Get More Mileage Out of Life
  • Green Living: The E Magazine Handbook for Living Lightly on the Earth
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine