Start by marking “Tigress: Read and Wonder” as Want to Read:
Tigress: Read and Wonder

Tigress: Read and Wonder (Read, Listen and Wonder)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
One of nature’s most magical sights emerges from camouflage in this evocative, informative story about a mother tiger in the wild.

"The zoology is as exciting as the story in this action-packed picture book. . . .Thrilling science." — BOOKLIST

In a lyrical narrative featuring many intriguing facts, Nick Dowson reveals the hidden ways of a wild tigress and her cubs, while Jan
Published April 10th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tigress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tigress

Rebecca
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With fewer than 6,000 tigers left in the World today, this couldn't be a more important book to read to young children (not to mention it's filled with facts like that one so even adults can learn a thing or two!).

A story graced with stunning illustrations, really they are so beautiful, of a tiger and her three cubs having fun, hunting, swimming and finding their own territory. The story is told partly as though you are following the tiger but partly with facts as well; this makes for the perfe
Kathy Mathey
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked using this unique picture book as an effective mentor text for figurative language.
Aine O'riordan
Tigress is a nature storybook, written by teacher Nick Dowson. I picked this book because the illustrations which were done by Jane Chapman are absolutely breath taking. The use of colour and great detail makes them really stand out. The book also comes with a C.D. and on this you will find the Tigress story read by actor Stephen Tompkinson, a song called ‘Melting Tiger’, tiger secrets and facts and also a read along version of Tigress.
Tigress tells the story of a female Tiger, who raises her
Gail
Jan 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Again I thought my two year old would like this because it is about tigers, but I found the over-written language annoying. The pictures are beautiful, but not exciting to a toddler. As a teacher, I did like the tiger facts in italics throughout the book, but they weren't enough to redeem the book. Here is a book that adults will like more than children will.
Susan
Great for different text structures -- weaves information (in a different font) into the story. Though I didn't really like that there was fiction and nonfiction on every page of the story, it's a format I will still show the kids.
Karen
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
We got this as a book on CD from the library. It was very well done. Jane Chapman does a phenomenal job with the illustrations (as usual). In addition to the story, each page also includes a fact about tiger behavior in the wild. Probably best for ages 5 and up.
Den
Jan 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, 2017
Another excellent non-fiction book which tells the young reader all about the life of a tiger with great illustrations to illustrate the text. I never actually realised how big they were until I read this.
Pauline
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous illustrations and a pretty detailed account of a mother tigress and her two cubs. Not for you if you prefer children's books with 'happy endings' - this pretty much tells it like it is in nature.
Jennifer Hortman
Feb 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Ok, I didn't really like the story. In fact, I teared up at the end when all the tigers went their own way, but Madeleine loved this one. She cried when we took it back to the library. The illustrations are beautiful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nick Dowson is the author of TRACKS OF A PANDA and TIGRESS. A teacher and naturalist, he lives in Suffolk, England.
More about Nick Dowson...

Read, Listen and Wonder (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • Ice Bear: In the Steps of the Polar Bear
  • One Tiny Turtle
  • Sea Horse: The Shyest Fish in the Sea
  • Surprising Sharks (Boston Globe-Horn Book Honors (Awards))