Start by marking “In Pursuit of God: The Life of A.W. Tozer” as Want to Read:
In Pursuit of God: The Life of A.W. Tozer

In Pursuit of God: The Life of A.W. Tozer

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  152 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
To understand the continued and far-reaching ministry of A. W. Tozer, it is important to know who he was, including his relationship with God. In The Life of A. W. Tozer, James Snyder lets us in on the life and times of a deep thinker who was not afraid to tell it like it is and never compromised his beliefs. A. W. Tozer's spiritual legacy continues today as his writings c ...more
Published June 28th 1991 by Christian Publications (first published June 1991)

To ask other readers questions about In Pursuit of God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Pursuit of God

Eric Morgan
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book sent me on a journey that, quite literally, changed my life. This was my first introduction to A.W. Tozer. This book lit a fire in me want to know more about Tozer's heart for God, ministry, and practice. Subsequently, I have purchased EVERY book written by Tozer and have read most of them.

I highly recommend this book...
Bart Breen
May 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very Strong Biography on A.W. Tozer

A.W. Tozer is routinely described as a 20th century prophet. Tozer served as a pastor in The Christian & Missionary Alliance for 44 years, most of which was spent in South Chicago. During that time his Church grew from about 80 to 800 members. In addition, he served as the Editor of the Alliance Life Magazine from 1950 during which time circulation exploded, primarily because of the demand for his insightful editorials.

Tozer wrote several classic books of C
Colleen
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tozer
A.W. Tozer was an amazing man. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Here is an excerpt of a spiritual experience Tozer had when he was a young pastor.

Tozer was in the woods with a preacher friend...they went to the woods for a time of private Bible reading and prayer. The friend stopped part way into the woods because he was tired but Tozer continued on. "I went on a little farther, as Jesus did, and knelt down and began to read my Bible. I was reading about the camp of Israel in the wilderness and
Philip Mcduffie
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This is the first biography I have read on Tozer. With that being said, it was entertaining to be able to see bits and pieces of the life of a man that I enjoy reading. Tozer was a remarkable man of God that was always in pursuit of a greater knowledge of God and His beloved Son Jesus. I wish the book would have talked more about Tozer's neglect of his wife. Other than that I recommend this book!
Andy Hickman
Good book.

“What set Tozer apart was his ability to quickly assimilate the knowledge he gained from reading. Tozer was more than a reader – he was a thinker. He often counseled, 'You should think ten times more than you read.'

This was his own practice throughout his life. By doing so his own thinking, he arrived at his own independent conclusions. As one member reflected on that period of Tozer's ministry, 'He could say more in fifteen minutes than many preachers could say in an hour.'”

- James
Brent Rosendal
I was impressed by the man, A.W. Tozer and his life was a challenge to me to pursue God more whole heartedly and more passionately. I was not all that impressed by this biography though. It seemed disjointed and everything was to compartmentalized. Rather than following the flow of Tozer's life. One chapter dealt with one subject and another dealt with a different subject regarding Tozer's life. I learned just as much about the poems that Tozer loved as I did about his family and this frustrated ...more
Rodney Spears
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book and I am excited to read other books by Tozer after reading this. My only reservation is learning that he was a man that neglected his family because of the ministry. I will not judge but rather be cautious as to make my calling as a husband and father much higher than my calling to preach as this is what I believe the Bible teaches. I am always sad when I see or hear of men, who were giants of the faith, that neglected their families because of the ministry.
Rocco
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De leukste en beste biografie die ik gelezen heb.
Meer dan het aanbevelen waard!

Een bijzonder mens, bijzonder begaafd en bijzonder eenzaam.
'I have had a lonely life' zou hij aan het einde van zijn leven hebben gezegd.
Tegelijk ook een man die genoegen nam met een steen waarop stond 'A man of God'.

Boordevol leuke quotes en verhalen en meer.

Een must-read!
Ileana
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ileana by: Emily Adams
The life of Tozer was so good to read about. He set such a great example of living a life for God, which the book describes very well.

I love how the beginning of each chapter has a quote from someone that interacted with him and was impressed by him. As well as how the end of each chapter has quotes and prayers of his.

It was all very well written.
Nate
Jun 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James L. Synder's biography of Tozer and Lyle Dorsett's biography of Tozer go hand in hand. This is a wonderful biography and insight to the spiritual life of AW Tozer. Unlike Dorsett's biography it doesn't give quite as much detail. Overall a great book on a spiritual giant.
Rick Owens
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book on the life behind the work of Tozer.
Rachel Davis
Oct 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent biography on a life lived for God.
Andy Anderson
Aug 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
everyone needs this book in their library... a must read on a great Christian who spoke truth
Barbara Pitts
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book

A book that examines all aspects of Dr. Tozer's life, be it flattering or not. A must read for Christians.
John
Jul 24, 2016
Brian
Mar 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Celebrating the Disciplines: A Journal Workbook to Accompany "Celebration of Discipline"
  • Intimacy
  • An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor
  • Rut, Rot, or Revival: The Condition of the Church
  • The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perseverance in the Lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce (Swans Are Not Silent, #3)
  • Lion and Lamb: The Relentless Tenderness
  • The Two Sides of Love
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • Hidden in Plain Sight: The Secret of More
  • Lifestories: Finding God's "Voice of Truth" Through Everyday Life
  • The Name
  • The Saving Life of Christ
  • Dancing in the Arms of God: Discover Your Cinderella Story
  • Stories for the Heart: Over 100 Stories to Encourage Your Soul
  • Lord, Only You Can Change Me: A Devotional Study on Growing in Character from the Beatitudes
  • George Muller: Man of Faith and Miracles (Men of Faith Series)
James L. Snyder, general editor, is the pastor of the Family of God Fellowship in Ocala, Florida. He is recognized as an authority on the life and ministry of A.W. Tozer and has written a number of books and essays in Christian periodicals about Tozer. Snyder has a weekly radio ministry and writes a nationally syndicated newspaper column.
More about James L. Snyder...
“The first work of revealed truth is to secure an unconditional surrender of the sinner to the will of God. Until this has been accomplished, nothing really lasting has been done at all. The reader may admire the rich imagery of the Bible, its bold figures and impassioned flights of eloquence; he may enjoy its tender musical passages, and revel in its strong homely wisdom; but until he has submitted to its full authority over his life, he has secured no good from it yet.” 0 likes
“The greatest danger we face from this machine age is that we will become engrossed with mechanical gadgets and forget we have hearts. Man cannot live by bread alone nor by machinery alone. The heart must be nurtured. For this reason the prophet and the poet are more important to a nation than the engineer or the inventor. Longfellow and Whittier have meant more to us than Edison or Ford. Burns’s songs have meant more to Scotland than Watts’s steam engine.” 0 likes