Start by marking “Reapers (Reapers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Reapers (Reapers, #1)

Reapers (The Reapers Trilogy #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  155 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Reapers, the first book in The Reapers Trilogy, is a dystopian tale with a supernatural twist. Taking place in a futuristic, urban setting, this first book in a planned trilogy will appeal to readers of The Hunger Games and similar fast-paced stories for young adults.
Along with a blend of real life and imagination, it delivers action, danger, and suspense through the adven
Published March 28th 2014 by Scrub Jay Journeys (first published March 18th 2014)

Tracey Dyck
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads, owned
Reapers. The word conjures images of hoods, scythes, and shadows. Death, ghosts, and the veil between here and eternity.

This book delivered on pretty much all of the above, minus the scythes. We've got an urban setting, wandering souls, dark alleyways, grit, ethical dilemmas, futuristic tech, and the big dystopian staple: untrustworthy power figures.

Reapers started out super interesting! We get an engaging first look into Phoenix's everyday world--a mostly solitary life of watching over his Chic
Audrey Caylin
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, ya
This is truly an amazing novel. The pacing is lightning-fast and there were so many unexpected twists I could barely keep up. The author uses the unique premise to its full potential. I loved the world-building, loved the characters, and the entire idea was just amazing.

There are more darker and more mature elements in here than in Bryan Davis' other novels, so I'd recommend for 15+.

The one thing I wished there was more of is the theme. However, since this was meant to be a face-paced, action-
Alyssa
What I thought:

I loved this book! Because of Reapers, I now love the genre dytopian. I wasn’t sure I’d like it since I’m not usually one for supernatural books (reapers, zombies, vampires, and the like, but there have been some great exceptions), but I didn’t mind it at all in this book!

Anyways, Bryan Davis is my all time favorite author. I’ve loved every book of his, and this was no exception.

This book was great and well written. I was captivated from the start, and I loved it all throughout. I
Darque  Dreamer
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: top-reads
Reapers is dark, seductive, and exhilarating! Davis delivers thrills, chills, and a thought provoking world surrounding death. Brace yourself for a fast-paced story full of danger, emotion, and surprising twists!

This one was intensely powerful and I loved every minute of it! It touched on facets of life, love and loss, and sparked deep seated thoughts and emotions regarding death and the beyond. It was a beautifully heartbreaking story surrounding the age-old question of “what happens when we di
Rebecca
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Reapers is the first book in an action-packed sci-fi/fantasy series by Bryan Davis. In an almost post-apocalyptic world the hero Phoenix attempts to serve his reaper sentence. However, problems thwart him from every angle and force him to either stay true to his morals or abandon them all together.

When first reading the synopsis for Reapers I thought it was a really interesting and unique idea. I think a lot of people, including myself, are fascinated with the idea of what comes after death and
Anna
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Once again Bryan Davis blows away his readers with this exciting new novel! With a fresh concept, fascinating characters, and excellent pacing this may be one of his best stories yet.

Death is a common thing and, when it comes, a Reaper is nearby to make it easier. Unless the soul is extracted immediately after death, it will wander, lost, frightened, unable to enter the Gateway into eternity. That is where the Reapers, highly trained individuals with the genetic ability to collect and transport
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Reapers
By Bryan Davis

Without Reapers the dead are trapped on earth, something is keeping them from moving on to the afterlife. They wander in a state of confusion looking for those they have lost.

Reapers are a select group of people who have been trained to gather the souls of the dead and the dying, providing transport to the Gateway. For the last 3 years Phoenix has been a Reaper collecting the souls within his district. But Phoenix has been smuggling contraband to the poor, hoping to stave o
Kristy
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
From the Christain young-adult fantasy writer who is best known for Dragons In Our Midst, this is a brand new series that was just released last month. It's a dystopian/supernatural tale set in a time when chosen teenagers are trained to "reap" souls upon death and transport them to everlasting peace at the Gateway...except that they's been lied to and the Gatekeeper is a tyrannical beast and the souls delivered are not safe but betrayed. How I don't know yet, since this is only book 1, but man ...more
Jenny
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-copies
"Reapers" by Bryan Davis is a refreshing, dystopian novel that dives into the enthralling supernatural tale of two teenage reapers.

Seeing the first book for the first time, I immediately got thrilled because the blurb has a one of a kind concept.

World Building:

The world building is an important part, especially for science fiction, dystopian and fantasy. Fortunately, the author did a good job crafting it superbly. The setting was vividly described and the concepts introduced were well-detailed.
Addyson Huneke
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've always loved Bryan Davis's books. They're exciting, they're intense, they're complicated, and they're really weird. So when the first book in his Reapers trilogy was free for a couple days, I jumped at the chance to get it. Surprisingly, I was less than impressed with this book. It did not live up to the writing standard I had come to expect from Bryan Davis's books.

Writing: 3/5
I never thought I would get bored reading a Bryan Davis book. However, many times while reading this book, I wante
Chelsea Girard
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Death didn’t care about the late hour. Reapers like me always stayed on call.”

What if souls of the dead were unable to leave the world of the living?
The Reapers Trilogy is a dystopian tale with a supernatural twist that takes place in a futuristic, urban setting. Two teenagers, Phoenix and Singapore, male and female Reapers, collect the souls of the dead and transport them to the Gateway where they will travel to their final destination...or so they are told.

I found this concept extremely uniq
Aidan
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reapers is book, written by Bryan Davis, about the story of one Reaper named Phoenix is going about his life normally but also in secret rebelling against the system. What he does is he gives medicine to the sick which is outlawed in the society. But his system and everything comes crashing down when he meets a girl named Singapore.
This book is about the adventure of two Reapers named Phoenix and Singapore, they are recruited by a member of the Gatekeepers council, the Gatekeeper is the ruler
Sean Kouma
May 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the dystopian genre!
James Davis
May 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Any review on this site has spoilers without any other warning. Do not read my reviews unless you don’t mind the subject matter being spoiled.

I should start by mentioning that the author of this book is my father, so I am automatically biased. Bear this in mind when reading my review.

Since I intend to release a version of this review on my wife’s blog, I’ll forgo scene-by-scene plot analysis this time.

Reapers is set in a post-apocalyptic world that, given the names of cities, appears to be Earth
Kirsten
Apr 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopian

I'm finding it rather difficult to organize my thoughts about this book. Mostly because this is one of the first novels I've read in the dystopian genre, and I'm not certain how well I enjoy that particular genre, seeing how new I am to all of it. But... let's see how this review goes.

The action in this book carried each chapter along nicely, and there was never a moment for boredom. The suspense is high, the plot moves quickly, and once you got into the s
Rebecca
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read
I would not normally read this kind of book because death and ghosts are not my favorite thing, but I like dystopian and I really, really like Bryan Davis, so I was curios and decided to give it a try. It was much better than my initial expectations of this type of book. It is a deep, darker read than some of his others, riveting and suspenseful, constantly page-turning, yet it abstained from the grotesque horror depictions that can easily run in these genres. It has mystery, suspense, powers, ...more
Jessika Santulli
In a post-apocolyptic Chicago, Phoenix is a sixteen-year-old reaper, gifted with the genetic ability to transport souls of the dead to the Gateway and to a better life. But he doesn't welcome death. Instead, he tries to prevent death at all costs by administering illegal medicine to the dying. When he is caught by the authorities giving pills to a dying little girl, the girl's family is thrown into a prison camp. Phoenix teams up with fellow teen reapers Shanghai and Singapore to try and rescue ...more
Jakeria Bonner
This book was ok to me, it was kinda hard to understand what was going on. The Reapers is a type of book when you might wanna slow down and take your piece by piece. It's not a bad book, it just that It gets pretty boring and hard to understand. For me, my reading incomprehension isn't that good, so this would be a bad choice for me.
(I also have taken notice that the "Reapers" is kinda based on an anime show called, "Bleach")
The main thing I like about the book is the plot, but it's just sad th
Liz
Teenage reapers...just a vocation in this world and only certain people are marked with the ability to reap. If marked, they are pretty much drafted into the reaper business for twenty cycles. Interesting take on the job of the reaper, something I never really given much thought to and only stayed with the stereotype. I am on the fence regarding the main protagonist - Phoenix, along with his support cast. I will continue the series to see where it goes.

This book series was recommended to me by t
Amanda
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing! Bryan Davis is my favorite author, and he did a great job on this book. However, I must warn other Bryan Davis fans; this book is darker than most of his other books. It has more death in it than most of his, as the title would suggest. Christianity is not mentioned in this first book, although I am hoping that it will come into play later in the series.
Liz
Aug 01, 2014 rated it liked it
A cool concept, but I'm not in love with how it was presented. Very little flow to the story, and the characters seem to un-develop as the story continues. I found myself not motivated at all to read this, which is why it took me about a month to finish it.
D0tted
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I really liked the book. Even though it has a complete story it's really a first book of I think three. It's a very heavy story filled with control and sorrow that hints at hope. It's intriguing enough for me to want to read the next one.
Katie Williams
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bryan Davis never disappoints. I have no idea how I am going to survive waiting for the next two installments to be released.
Donna Barenberg
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gripping...page Turner

Loved the characters and the author has you rooting for them from beginning to end...can't wait to read the next book in the series.

Brandi Davis
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Out of the Bryan Davis books I have read this one is now my new favorite! It was just awesome!
Gene J Hill
Aug 18, 2016
Lynn's
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Search for the Shadow Key (Dreamtreaders, #2)
  • Lightning (Stone Braide Chronicles, #2)
  • The Battle of Castle Nebula (The Cendrillon Cycle, #1)
  • Rebels (Safe Lands, #3)
  • Jupiter Winds (Jupiter Winds #1)
  • Oath of the Brotherhood (Song of Seare, #1)
  • Martyr's Fire (Merlin's Immortals, #3)
  • Merlin's Nightmare (The Merlin Spiral #3)
  • Precisely Terminated (Cantral Chronicles, #1)
  • Impervious (Ascension #1)
  • The Traitor's Heir (The Knight of Eldaran #1)
  • Golden Daughter (Tales of Goldstone Wood, #7)
  • One Realm Beyond (Realm Walkers, #1)
  • Deliverance (Enslaved Series, #2)
  • Haunted (State v. Sefore #1)
  • The Seahorse Legacy (Eyes of E'veria #3)
  • The Enchanted
  • Revolutionary (Anomaly, #3)
Bryan Davis is the author several speculative-fiction series, including Dragons in Our Midst, Oracles of Fire, Children of the Bard, The Reapers Trilogy, The Time Echoes Trilogy, Tales of Starlight, and Dragons of Starlight.

Bryan lives in western Tennessee with his wife, Susie. Bryan and Susie have homeschooled their four girls and three boys.

Bryan was born in 1958 and grew up in the eastern U.S.
More about Bryan Davis

The Reapers Trilogy (3 books)
  • Beyond the Gateway (The Reapers Trilogy #2)
  • Reaper Reborn  (Reapers, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)