Start by marking “Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)” as Want to Read:
Crown of Stars (Crown of Stars, #7)

Crown of Stars

(Crown of Stars #7)

In the wake of the cataclysm many new alliances are forming even as old ones dissolve. As Sanglant struggles to legitimize his own leadership, the Aoi are carrying out random attacks-while implicating him as their leader. Stronghand has begun a march of conquest into the heart of Sanglant's realm. Adelheid and Antonia have made an unholy alliance. And Sabella and Duke Conr ...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by Orbit (New Edition) (first published 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Crown of Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crown of Stars

Mayim de Vries
There is a total grand zero of stars in this *crown*.

At this point, all you are interested in is whether or not you should invest your reading time into this series. The answer is: fuck, no! Do not even come near. Unless you come with a torch burner burning torch. (I normally avoid profanities but once in a while there comes a book so obscenely bad that nothing except foul words is fitting).

If you want to know everything that is wrong with this book, just read this snarky thread. I am not going
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
For those who don’t already know: I am not a series reader. I like my books fresh rather than familiar, and even a trilogy is a lot of one story for me. Half the reason I read this saga is because I enjoy Elliott’s work and find it remarkably consistent in quality (I tire of authors as quickly as I tire of series, but after a whopping 15 books from her, am still looking forward to the next installment of Black Wolves). The other half was just to have the experience of reading a 7-book fantasy se ...more
Leseparatist
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, owned
Looks like I made it! After many months of reading volume after volume, I'm done with this series.

By the end, it felt slightly bloated. I wish some storylines had been cut, and yet, oddly enough, the ending felt slightly rushed. Still, it was a fantastical journey, a true epic and an amazing series full of characters I loved, got annoyed by and hated. I almost threw the book across the room more than once (in a good way, mostly). I developed in-jokes with my SO about the book. I'll miss having
Mace
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the complexity of this series. I cried knowing this was the last book. This series has allowed me to have my little escapes from the real world of being a medic in the military. I have followed this series for so long.
Shaitarn .
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book achieved a rare feat - in spite of being soooo slow it felt as though everything was cut short and not given enough time. It's a shame, because the first two or three books in this series are great - five stars all round, but then the series took a nose dive and this end volume had some pet hates of mine, detailed in the spoiler below.

(Don't open unless you have finished the book or have no intention of ever reading this series):(view spoiler)
Morgan
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely amazing ending! Everything was tied together spectacularly, and I was so astounded after finishing this that I couldn't sleep! I distinctly remember blurting, "Oh. My god," several times in the last several chapters. By the time I placed the finished book on my shelf, I was probably in shock.

The ending was wonderful. It really was. I couldn't have asked for better.

This series was well worth the read, and I have to say will probably take the place of Wheel of Time as my favorite book
Clay Kallam
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
(This review is of the Crown of Stars series, not the individual books, but is attached to each one so that potential readers know what they’re getting into. It is imperative to begin with “King’s Dragon,” of course, and once involved, the difference in quality and focus of each of the seven volumes is far less important than the impact of the series as a whole.)

Crown of Stars is a sprawling, sometimes confusing, seven volumes of epic medieval fantasy that is worth the investment of time and ene
Mandy
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JOHN
Recommended to Mandy by: AARON
Shelves: 1-owned-books
Book VII

A few months following the cataclysm, Liath, Sanglant, Alain, Stronghand and many others are trying to right the land that they love and come from. There are still threats coming from the Ashioi, now led by Sanglant's mother, the new Feather Cloak.

Conrad and Sabella hope to overwhelm King Sanglant and get the kingdom for themselves and begin ruling in their own way (so far no one is getting a long any better under their rule in Arconia.)

Stories are beginning to come to an end and also to
Dar B
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall, good. I could not put it down until I read every word within every book of this series. The 6th book was, by far, the worst, and this last installment demonstrated a vast improvement. I especially enjoyed that some likable characters die and that some "villains" live. I don't like endings to be too soppy and "feel-good" and Ms. Elliott does pretty well with that. I really enjoyed her descriptives, except where the astronomy is elaborated on. I know that it is somewhat important to the s ...more
A.K. Frailey
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read through the entire seven books in the Crown of Stars series, and I was very impressed. There are a lot of interesting themes intertwined and a great number of characters to keep track of, but each voice is so unique, that I found myself reacting to them differently—as individuals. There are a lot of spiritual components in each book and a great deal of beautiful Catholic imagery. I felt drawn to a wider view of humanity's struggle to know ourselves, our created universe, and our God. An e ...more
Amy
Jul 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best Fantasy series I have read in a long time. Better then the Wheel of Time, in that it did not get off track and she did not pad out the books to make them longer and make the series take longer. Good character development. Fascinating characters and storylines. The great combo of political intrigue, military strategy, and the supernatural that make the best fanatasy series, very much in the tradition of George R. R. Martin, but of a style all it's own. I highly reccomend ...more
Sarah Jane
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Crown of Stars series is my first introduction into science fiction and fantasy novels. That's the only reason they would get such a high rating. As a young girl I related with the character Liath, especially her ability to escape to an attic in her mind where she hides all her pain. It taught me a valuable coping mechanism, and probably helped me in later years with meditation.
Josie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall? I liked the series. It reminds me of Guy Gavriel Kay's novels, except I didn't cry. I really liked Liath's journey, although it got kinda weird at times. I wish there was more about Alain and Stronghand together. Pretty good stuff, though I may have zipped past a lot of the religious and mathematici parts.
Claire
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not for everyone but I loved this sprawling fantasy take on early medieval Europe. Kate managed to keep track of all of her POV characters and the continent spanning action and wind it into a satisfying conclusion; no mean feat after 7 books. And what an amazing range of characters from all genders and ages.
Melissa
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Uhhh, didja see how many stars I gave it??
I couldn't bring myself to endure enough of the crap in this one to finish it, and I pride myself on slogging through to the end of a series when I've started. So that should tell you just how mangled the story gets in this one. Wasn't even worth my time to finish it...
Dave
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy
The final book. Everything kind of comes together, but the ending left me kind of...disappointed. Not really in a bad way. It seems life goes on, even for heroes.
Rebecca
As the books progressed, I read less and skimmed more... I love Kate Elliott's books (Black Wolves, Cold Magic, etc) so I am reading her older books and well... I guess every author has to start somewhere, and this series is kinda weak. I'm leery/skeptical of any series that goes beyond three books (except Kate Daniels), because it starts getting bloated and lackluster... and this series felt like that as it moved on.

I did enjoy the first book though. It seemed like a pretty solid/promising sta
Cendri
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
**Slight spoiler alert for those who haven't finished Vol. 5**

This was a nice series. After Elliott brought the Aoi land "safely" back to its starting place, one of the major plot arcs drew to a close, and I wasn't sure how she was going to maintain a satisfactory urgency and mystery from that point on. While I don't think that this book has quite the excitement and interest that the first ones did (it gets a bit long-winded sometimes, and Elliott spends a lot of time on needless details, in my
Katherine
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Fantasy, last in the Crown of Stars series. The sweeping conclusion: though the world is riven and ravaged, the royal rivals continue fighting over the throne. The wave that has been building through the series crests and breaks in one last, great, bloody battle, after which we are given just enough hints to be sure that most of the protagonists lived happy lives. Conclusive, but rather hastily so considering the sheer bulk of the books that preceded it.
Girl
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Well, that was quite a ride, and I loved a vast majority of it.

(view spoiler)

(I might elaborate in close future.)
Kristi-anne
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read these a while ago and was one of best sets I read so far, so anticipating all the way through all 7 books omg such good set I wished they never end, one of those where you finish and think "NOW WHAT?! :("
AWESOME!
Rick
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Finally finished this series. and was a bit sad I'll miss the characters, though some i felt got off too lightly (hugh) . Around the middle of the series i struggled a bit but i had a bit of a break and came back and reaqlly enjoyed the last 2 books.
Arthur
Mar 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rubbish.
One of the worst endings. Such a huge disappointment. I was putting up with a lot of crap during the series hoping to arrive to at least an OK ending...

Waste of my time.
Jay
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really an enjoyable end to the series. All of the loose ends were tied up and showed what happened to all of characters which I liked as I had grown close to them with each novel.
Rindis
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The final volume of Kate Elliot's Crown of Stars series has a lot of work to do. The cast has grown enormous, multiple threats are coming at the main characters from completely different sources, and the political situation is a shambles.

And she pulls it off excellently.

This isn't just a big 'lets smash everything into each other' ending (though there is a battle that largely does that). Instead, there are some very good bridges across technically separate storylines that serve to advance the pl
Agnes Conway
Feb 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I can't believe that I read six books in a series, and abandoned the seventh and last, unfinished. The 'two-spirits' thing was the finishing touch for me - it's like when you come across a writer using 'a murder of crows' (I'm looking at you, Sting).

I had exactly the same problem with a previous series by Kate Elliott, Crossroads - it started out wonderful, then just petered out to an unsatisfactory end.

Never again.
Matthew Murawski
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, reviewed
Lee
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read the Crown of Stars series years ago and really loved it.
Steen Ledet
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A duty-bound ending, nothing too surprising.
Ruth Lanton
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't feel like she answered EVERY question about the characters she created. It was a somewhat unsatisfying ending.
  • The Riven Shield (The Sun Sword, #5)
  • The Second Draeken War (Combined Edition)
  • Turning the Storm (Eliana's Song, #2)
  • Warlord (Hythrun Chronicles: Wolfblade, #3)
  • The Gates of Creation (World of Tiers, #2)
  • The Spirit Stone (The Silver Wyrm, #2) (The Dragon Mage, #5)
  • The Book of Fire (Dragon Quartet, #3)
  • The Golden Key
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #3)
  • A Magic of Twilight (The Nessantico Cycle, #1)
  • The Rose of the World (Fool's Gold, #3)
  • The Ring of Five Dragons (The Pearl Saga, #1)
As a child in rural Oregon, Kate Elliott made up stories because she longed to escape to a world of lurid adventure fiction. She now writes fantasy, steampunk, and science fiction, often with a romantic edge. It should therefore come as no surprise that she met her future husband in a sword fight.

When he gave up police work to study archaeology, they and their three children fell into an entirely

Crown of Stars (7 books)
  • King's Dragon (Crown of Stars, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • The Burning Stone (Crown of Stars, #3)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Gathering Storm (Crown of Stars, #5)
  • In the Ruins (Crown of Stars, #6)