Start by marking “The Oak Inside the Acorn” as Want to Read:
The Oak Inside the Acorn

The Oak Inside the Acorn

Every person is tasked with learning why they were created and the unique gifts that make them special. Written by New York Times bestselling author Max Lucado, The Oak Inside the Acorn teaches young readers about the incredible miracle inside each of us while reminding us that we were created by God for a special purpose.

The story highlights the adventure of a sweet litt
Published October 29th 2006 by Thomas Nelson (first published February 29th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Oak Inside the Acorn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oak Inside the Acorn

Start your review of The Oak Inside the Acorn
Sara Hollar
This book made me cry. Literal tears were rolling down my cheeks! I was so surprised that it moved me so much. It is absolutely beautiful. The message is beautiful ("Be who God created you to be!"). It has a subtle message for parents too (there is a time to let go...) The illustrations are beautiful. It's a little long but both my 5 & 2 year old sat wonderfully through the whole thing. I got it from the library but am going out to buy our own copy today. If I could give this book 10 stars I wou ...more
Bella
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story was really cute and definitely tugged on the heart strings. Often times in life we wonder who and what is it that I am supposed to be? Who does God want me to be? This story helps to answer these questions in a very child friendly way while also giving off a hint of The Giving Tree Vibes. Easy to read and one that can put a child to bed in no time!
Melanie Dulaney
This is a beautifully illustrated book with a great message of being all that God created you to be...but one that seems to be more for a young woman graduating from high school than for young children. I'm not sure than the 3-7 year olds that usually listen to and look at picture books will listen to the lengthy story or truly grasp its lesson.
Christian Singer
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
One of those simple stories with a powerful message--just be who you were created to be. It's a great story for every kid . . . and every adult who feels directionless.
Alyssa Wagor
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
Invoking the theme that we all need to discover our God-given in life, Lucado’s (The Crippled Lamb ) parallels the lives of a tree and a girl. A tiny acorn shaken from its mother's strong branches becomes a mighty oak, not by trying to be like other trees and flowers, but by heeding the mother oak's sage advice: "Just be the tree God made you to be." Likewise, a girl does some soul-searching of her own, often under the protective shade of the mighty oak, as she grows up and prepares to make her ...more
Michaela Puglisi
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Max Lucado showcased his incredible writing skills, incorporating God and His glory once again in "The Oak Inside the Acorn". This book follows an acorn who drops from his mother-the tree that he was attached to. The acorn then grows into a smaller tree and eventually is transported to the backyard of a family. The acorn develops into a large tree, like it's mother. The tree is there for all of the milestone's of the young girls life into adulthood. The books perfectly displays the bittersweet e ...more
Lindsay Bray
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-read
Such a heartfelt read. My mom often read, “you are special” to me as I was growing up and it was one of my absolute favourite books. (And it still continues to be!) I had never heard of this one but since it was by Max Lucado I thought it I’d give it a try. Boy am I glad that I did! I definitely put it up there as one of my favourites.
The thing I really love about Max’s children’s books is that they are for all ages. All the topics are relevant throughout your entire life. As an adult I find my
Tommy Kiedis
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parents and children will find great counsel from Max Lucado's story of a little acorn who learned the important lesson:
Within you is a great oak. Just be the tree God meant you to be.
Clearly written and beautifully illustrated (thanks George Angelini), Lucado helps children lean an essential lesson of life: God made them unique and with a purpose.

This story is also for parents whom he counsels:
Childhood tendencies forecast adult abilities. Read them. Discern them. Affirm them. Cheerlead them.
Sheri
Apr 05, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated book with a parable for children. It is too long for a bedtime read. Little Acorn the main character is looking out at the world and meeting orange trees and flowers and doing his best to become a tree. He meets a little girl who plays and grows up near him. And the oak tree protects and shades her until she grows and leaves. This prose story is long and heart warming but has a kind message about being who you are and growing up. Children should hear its message ...more
Julie
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The story covers not fearing being all you’re meant to be. My mantra is that the acorn doesn’t deviate from its purpose... it will always become an oak. Just be who you are, whether a massive or smaller oak, whether your leaves are one shape or another, whether you grow in a forest or beside a home in the suburbs... just be you. The link to God and the length of this story are why it gets 3.5 stars. They will be off putting to some. Lovely illustrations.
JC
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book got me right in the heart! Read it to my little boy and as I read it it I could just see him growing into the "oak God made him to be." Yeah the illustrations are awesome... But the message makes this book. Read it!
Kate Davis
A bit cheesy, but kind of sweet. I can't help but think that Lucado is correcting the *terrible* theology and relational imagery of The Giving Tree -- that alone makes it worthwhile to have on a kid's shelf.
Adria Olaleye
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Become who God wants you to be

It ended abruptly but the kids enjoyed the story. They wish there was more. We enjoyed looking at life through the eyes of an acorn.
luisa long
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very sweet moral

My son loved this storey! He says it was nice, calm calm, and relaxing. He learned that you have to believe in God, that you will grow big like Big Oak.
Barbara Lovejoy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A heartwarming book with a great message for all of us, no matter our age.
Martha Carter
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Person Inside

There is something inside of each of us. Just Be what God created you to be. Be the best of whatever you are. Great read children.
Lynda
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Sentimental but so touching. A wonderful theme in parenting and finding your way as a young person.
Sheryl Ipsen
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for some uplifting reading material and forgot how much I love Max Lucado!! This particular book would be great as a graduation gift from High School.
Chappyfamily
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Good moral but not my favorite max lucado book
Mariana
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great message but from a very Christian slant (FYI for those who aren't Christian).
Ashli Stroyan
This is an incredibly heart-warming story about how a tiny acorn can grow to be a big strong oak. This story is told from an acorn’s perspective and starts out with the little acorn talking to his mother, the Big Oak Tree. She tells him that a day will come where he will have to say goodbye and become the strong oak tree that he is meant to be. The acorn will grow into a big, strong oak tree in the farmer’s yard. My favorite line in the story is when mother tree says “inside you is a great oak. ...more
Diana
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not only is it an easy read but one that you will not want to put down. It has a profound, deep lesson for all ages. The book moved me to tears... how I loved it so. This one is definitely worth buying and owning for your library.
You will enjoy the beautifully illustrated pages by George Angelini. His other work includes My First Prayer Book. If you love the peace that one feels gazing about the countryside scenery, seeing the growth of trees then this is for you. Of course you will find a tree
Katy-Margaret Doss
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reading-350
This is a review for The Oak Inside the Acorn by Max Lucado. This book is about a little acorn that is fearful about one day leaving the branches of his mother oak. His mother oak encourages him that everything will be ok and just to be the oak that God made him to be. The story continues to when the little acorn falls off his mother oaks branch and falls into a farmer’s truck next to a little orange tree. He falls out in the farmer’s orange tree grove where he becomes a little oak tree. He sees ...more
Alice
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a metaphor and I think the metaphor is poignant and important "Be what God made you to be" If you are an oak tree, be the best oak tree, if you are a flower be the best flower you can, if you are a Little Girl become the best Big Girl you can. The theme over and over and over is "Be what God made you to be" stating we all have a divine potential!

I thought it was a little long but the pictures are beautiful. I would say for me, the pictures sell the story it makes the long story manageabl
Caranna
Sep 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful story about the potential in all of us.

It was hard for little acorn to believe that he could ever be a big, strong oak tree for he was very small.

Once he grew a little bigger he was sad that he couldn't grow flowers or fruit and wondered what his purpose was.

One day, after many years he was tall enough to see for miles and his strong branches were just right for a very special purpose.

"Within you is a great oak. Just be the tree God made you to be."

There is only one you and you a
Elaine
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Awesome story about Little Acorn, fearful of going off on his own, begins his life and searches for what his purpose is. He finds it as years go by, as he shares his life with Little Girl, who also has a hard time with the idea of growing up and letting go. Love the encouragement through out the book-"Be the tree God made you to be!". I cried at the end, as I always do at stories about growing up and leaving the nest.
Kay
Jun 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a beautiful story that incorporates the story of a little girl growing up into the life cycle of an oak tree. This book made me cry. Of course, I've always some kind of connection to oak trees. And this story just grabbed my heart strings. Not really a huge Lucado fan, but this one definitely needs to belong on my bookshelf.
Melinda Garman
Great book to read the last day of school. Leave your students with the message that within them their is an oak tree, but emphasize that they can be whatever the want to be. Uses the phrase, "...the oak god created me to be." While reading to third grade class, I read it, "the oak I was meant to be." Appropriate for 3rd through 5th grade.
Lindsey Feldpausch
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great lesson to accept your grand, specific purpose! Are you a gymnast? Don't compare yourself to those who are artists. Are you a chef? Don't be discouraged by those meant to be football players. Each person has a beautiful purpose. Be content with the divine plan that God has for you! Enjoy the years it takes to grow into it! Many lessons throughout the book for all ages of kids!
Kate Hastings
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: junior high high school
Shelves: christian
Too long to share with young children. Try with junior high and high school. Good message about patience and waiting to see what life has in store for you-- and that God will help you to be someone great!

• I Am Thankful: A Thanksgiving Book for Kids
  • Forgiveness: Following Jesus into Radical Loving
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?: The Question Every Woman Asks
  • Sticks
  • Jack and Jill and T-Ball Bill
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https: