Start by marking “Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes” as Want to Read:
Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes

Microadventures: Local Discoveries for Great Escapes

‘Enthusiastic, pleasingly madcap’ Geographical

Adventure – something that’s new and exhilarating, outside your comfort zone. Adventures change you and how you see the world, and all you need is an open mind, bags of enthusiasm and boundless curiosity.

So what’s a microadventure? It’s close to home, cheap, simple, short and 100% guaranteed to refresh your life. A microadventu
Published June 5th 2014 by William Collins

To ask other readers questions about Microadventures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Microadventures

Tom Allen
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There are big, epic adventures that most of us can only dream of doing. And then there are the small, backyard excursions that deliver the same blast of fresh air and vitality into our lives – if we have eyes to see the opportunities to take them.

Microadventures starts out by running through an enviable list of the author's own adventures - most of which were achieved in under 24 hours - which between them appear to explore every last wild nook and cranny of the British Isles. They're short, che
Ta0paipai
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Insider tip- listen to the author's podcasts, skip this (particular) book (he has many others).

This book (and the podcasts) taught me I've been a microadventurer my whole life, I just didn't know what to call it. Of course, reading the book slapped a label on the activity, and by naming it gave it life. Consequently I've been inspired to take microadventures to a whole new level and for that I'm thankful.

That being said, the book was very geo-specific (the podcasts weren't). Many of the suggesti
J.F. Penn
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Fantastic guide to adventuring that's accessible for everyone. From sleeping on a hill, cycling for a day to wild swimming and sea kayaking, it's a great guide to British outdoor fun! Includes gear & navigation tips.
Documentally
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t want to like Alastair’s book ‘Microadventures’. Purely for selfish reasons. The moment I saw it I was jealous and wished I’d written it. I’m a huge fan of adventure in all shapes and sizes and spent many years throwing myself into them.

Now-a-days it’s all about grabbing those micro-moments. Making the most of a couple of days precious free time and feeling alive, invigorated and refreshed by nature or just getting some use out of equipment you bought online after a bottle of wine and a
Chris AtLee
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Some really great ideas in this book for getting out and exploring the area around you. Was a little repetitive towards the end though.
Travis Parks
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A different way of thinking, refreshing, where adventure small and large lies ready in wait out any front door.
Samantha
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Wow! This isn't the kind of book that I'd usually choose to read at all and yet when my husband mentioned it yesterday (having been discussed on Radio Four I believe) somewhere my imagination was captured. It arrived today and frankly, what's not to love? It is a beautiful thing that I will bedelighted to have on my bookshelves. It feels nice to hold, it contains nothing but gorgeous photographs of the great outdoors, many with Alistair in the frame too, and the text has a modern and edgy look t ...more
George
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The premise is simple and intoxicating. escape from our busy and cluttered lives is as easy as walking out the door. Rather than waiting for a giant, expensive ADVENTURE, Alastair Humphreys argues that we should seek relief from modern life by creating simple "microadventures" for ourselves that are inexpensive and easy to replicate.

This book is a treasure trove of ideas for exploring the world nearby in unconventional ways that will likely help us see the world around us and ourselves in a dif
Rob Boley
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I heard about this book via the Art of Manliness website (which is a site I'd recommend for both men and women, thank you very much), and I'm so glad I did. Alastair gives the ins and outs of having what he's dubbed Microadventures--basically localized adventures that are relatively cheap, close, simple, and short. It can be spending the night in a local park. Or going on a two-day bike ride. Or navigating a local river. The point is, you don't have to let limitations of time or money keep you f ...more
Janet
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I found this book very inspirational -- but be advised that unless you live in England, or in a semi-rural area of another country, you might not be able to simply take a train out of the city into a rural area where you can hike up a hill and spend the night in a sleeping bag. That's why I ended up not finishing it. I live in a large urban area in the U.S., and his specific examples just don't translate to where I live. On the other hand, the book did inspire me to create short, inexpensive, no ...more
Astratow
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now Humpreys goes from one extreme - his Spartan looking travel books, to the other - multicoloured, full of really nice pictures one. And it works! You are getting cotent in textual and visual forms, not a new things, but it really makes your eyes happy.
It is nothing great about this book in sense of content, but it is good and pictures are absolutely splendid. 4 stars!
Jo
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book, so far I find my mind wandering and thinking about what microadventures I can plot and plan. Defo a book that gives you food for thought. Not intimidating and definitely makes adventure seem possible. I would prescribe this to anyone stuck in a rut of boredom.
Joseph
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Humphreys is always a delight to read, and this guidebook to getting outdoors in some microadventures is a surefire guide to doing so. Even though the book is UK specific, these adventures are easily adaptable to wherever the reader lives. Fun, informative, and inspirational.
Ross Taylor
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Made me want to get outside

This is Acres of Diamonds for my generation. There is no need for a gap year in Thailand, you can have life-changing adventures here in the UK. Well done Alastair.
Ross Huggett
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, can't wait to do some of them. Only when the weather gets better though ;-).
Martin Young
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great mix of inspiring storytelling and practical advice that should encourage anyone to get out and try something new!
Nigel
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book so far. Engaging and thought provoking as to how much you can do with so little time and equipment. A lot more content that I expected making it a bargain for the price.
Katra
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
OK, I admit that I was occasionally annoyed by this book, but it definitely did it's job. Alastair Humphreys is a cycling maniac who has traveled to anywhere you can think of and lives in the center of London. His athleticism and location really rule out ninety per cent of the suggestions given for ninety per cent of the people who may read this. This weekend hike from summit to sea . . . yeah, it would take me the weekend to drive to the sea from where I live and I'd never make it back to work ...more
Danielle
A fun read, but I somehow didn't realize that it was so UK-centric (which is why it only gets 3 stars from me). Still got quite a few fun/inspiring ideas, but unfortunately being in the US we don't have the same "you can walk and sleep anywhere" rights/laws that that make so many of these overnight suggestions simple. So after a while so many of the adventures seemed to re-hash "get out of the city and sleep in a bivvy bag somewhere for a night."

But that being said, it was still a fun read, and
Clayton Morrow
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Each of Alastair’s little suggested challenge adventures are a pleasing little essay about an experience he’d had. The last quarter or less of the book are some suggestions on gear and techniques. I really enjoyed this book overall, and while it often seemed quite Britain-specific, still gives some great ideas for small, local excursions. The only other oddity I would critique is that the author assumes the reader is already in a densely populated area and may take for granted certain modes of t ...more
Dorum
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
It would probably be a better book if the author didn't try to bore us to death with his descriptions. NOTHING happens to this guy, really. Also he is a bit too centered on the whole bicycle scene.

All in all it wasn't a bad book, but it would have been a much better book without all those tedious description. Oh yeah, and it is very UK oriented. In a country with more wildlife than Britain, a bit more preparation is needed. Dealing with wildlife might not be an issue in Britain but it certainly
Angela Rollins
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Since I live in Los Angeles, I had some trouble wrapping my mind around the idea of wild camping on the side of hills. We have no shortage of them here, so that isn't a problem. It just seems dangerous. Bears, mountain lions, coyotes, rattlesnakes. They could be problems.

That being said, I totally bought into the larger premise of this book. Put down your phone. Get outside. Stop making excuses and find adventure close to home. It's out there. You just have to look. I can't wait to start the ne
Louis Vigo
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
Taking microadventures—adventures that last only a few hours to simple overnight trips close to home, will leave one fulfilled and satisfied. Some of my best days happen when I do something like this and later in the day to recline in the backyard with a book. I’ll have to adapt Humphreys ideas to the US, as some are practical only in the UK. I'd like to find a place where I can hike and wild camp overnight… ones that’s not too far away. I look forward to taking the 8 week challenge.
KP
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Inspirational, now I've just got to go out and do it!
I found some of the ideas for things to do a little repetitive, but I like some of the arbitrary ideas, like picking up an A-Z town guide and going from the first A place in the index to the last Z. I had to skip ahead and read the handy hints and tips at the end - it's nice to hear someone admit that sleeping in a bivvy bag is scary but also wonderful, not many books over advice on how to overcome the mental hurdles to doing things.
DropOfOcean
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is a very inspirational book for everyone who has limited time for adventuring. There are plenty of ideas & examples to copy & modify for personal use and writing style is very motivating. I take one star away from the book being somewhat UK specific (though of course ideas in general can be used elsewhere).
Adam Christie
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had previously read Grand Adventures by this author and enjoyed it very much. This book was much better. Humphreys strips away all the reasons for not having a small local adventure until you are feeling guilty for sitting on your couch reading this book. If you want something that will kick you out of the routine of work, TV and shopping centers, this is your medicine. I love it!
Lindstromsteph
Interesting idea to make life more spontaneous and enriching by exploring even the radius of a mile around your home. Other microadventures can include city to city, or visiting the homes your grandparents grew up in. The author lives in England so for me, the specifics weren’t registering with me.
R.J. Batla
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book-makes you want to get out there and gives you ideas

If you don’t want to go jump in a river or hike up a mountain after reading this book you might not have a soul. Jk, but still. Great book, I will be doing many micro adventures in the future!
Lennart
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, well-written and inspiring read with wonderful imagery and proper advice. Best served in small bits, like a chapter or two at a time, otherwise it tends to get a little repetitive/tedious. Also largely focused on the UK – not inherently bad, just not always applicable.
Lucy E
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is really easy to read and I found it really inspiring. So often we feel. Like we don't have time for adventure but this challenges you to make the most of small moments. I received it as a gift for Christmas and have already headed into the hills for some microadventures of my own.

• Just Passin' Thru: A Vintage Store, the Appalachian Trail, and a Cast of Unforgettable Characters
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • The Man Who Cycled the Americas
  • The Treehouse Book
  • New Treehouses of the World
  • The Joys of Travel: And Stories That Illuminate Them
  • The Life of My Choice
  • Scrambles Amongst the Alps
  • Zentangle Untangled: Inspiration and Prompts for Meditative Drawing
  • The Black Nile: One Man's Amazing Journey Through Peace and War on the World's Longest River
  • 365 Ways to Live Cheap: Your Everyday Guide to Saving Money
  • Into Thick Air: Biking to the Bellybutton of Six Continents
  • Home Ground: Language for an American Landscape
  • Wildest Dream: The Biography of George Mallory
  • Fäviken
  • The Singing Wilderness
  • Miles from Nowhere
  • The Seed Underground: A Growing Revolution to Save Food
“Sometimes all you need is to climb a simple hill, to spend time staring at an empty horizon, to jump into a cold river or sleep under the stars, or perhaps share a whisky at a small country inn in order to remind yourself what matters most to you in life.” 5 likes
“See the opportunities for adventures, not the constraints that get in the way.” 3 likes