Start by marking “The New Collected Short Stories” as Want to Read:
The New Collected Short Stories

The New Collected Short Stories

The New Collected Short Stories brings together three of Jeffrey Archer's classic collections of short stories: To Cut a Long Story Short, Cat O' Nine Tales and And Thereby Hangs a Tale, showcasing the master storyteller's skill like never before.

Every reader will have their own favourites: the choices run from love at first sight across the train tracks to the cleverest o
Published April 5th 2013 by Pan (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The New Collected Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Collected Short Stories

Mie
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many great stories with clever twists! Used these short stories as treats in between other books, so I has taken me about 6 months to read it - it probably won’t be the last time I read a collection of stories like that :-)
Wan Peter
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wan Peter by: A gift from my 2nd brother
Shelves: jeffery-archer
Being not a fan of short stories and was a christmas gift I would say he show the magical story which hook it me all the way.His novels a waiting for me to read.
Layali
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an entertaining read. Each story is unique and very interesting that I am left with such a strong emotion at the end of every tale.
Sushanth Shajil
Good, but mildly annoying. The stories in the book didn't give me enough closure. I was aware that this was intentionally done, so the reader can ponder about the possibilities of the ending. Great read, but still annoying.
Laura Boudreau
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this author's short stories! Intriguing and entertaining.
Mitch
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Thereby hangs a tale...
Akshita
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good collection of short stories!!!
Gowri N.
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful collection, although some of the tales I wanted to re-read (the one where the son wants to be a chef against his dad's wishes. the one where a couple go to buy original Turkish carpets, etc) weren't a part of it as I had hoped.

Archer's earliest works are still his best, no kidding.
Rohit Enghakat
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The book is strictly ok. The stories are from three books of the author, "To Cut A Long Story Short", "Cat 'O Nine Tales" and "Thereby Hangs a Tale". All the stories (approx 50) are "feel good" tales, some very good and some just about ok to read. Hence a three star rating.
Ananya
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting collection of heart-warming and tickling stories. I found relief in reading these stories during the mundane short breaks in between my work hours. Jeffrey Archer is indeed a master story teller as you'll find in these simple yet succinct narratives.
Rhiannon
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeffrey-archer
Great short stories!
'And thereby hangs a tale' was my favourite set of the three!!
Akshansh Gupta
Not great.
Souradeep Dirghangi
A potpourri of themes. Quite a few of them are class apart with a few touching a chord....
Ruth Pieterse
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of short stories and Jeffrey Archer doesn't disappoint. Solid stories with plenty of twists in the tail.
Agamonee Barbaruah
Every bit interesting as the author's other books. Loved it
Chandar
Consummate artist toying with his craft. Quite a few short stories are quite entertaining. Most, though, traverse expected paths. But as always, Jeffrey Archer is an enjoyable way to pass time!
Bernard Kipury
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A Fantastic book, am still reading it!...
Amarnath Srinivasan
Collection of the best stories by Archer ever.
Erica Smythe
Jan 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book to dip into if you have a few minutes to read or if you don't want to concentrate only on one book. Some stories more interesting than others and some a few pages and others longer.
Shweta Choudhary

• Management Mantras
  • Forever is a lie
  • Men of Steel: India's Business leaders in candid conversation
  • The Bet
  • Library of the World's Best Mystery and Detective Stories - French, Spanish, Italian, Latin Stories
  • Provoked
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • Ice Station/Hell Island
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Prosecution Rests: New Stories about Courtrooms, Criminals, and the Law
  • The Golden Room
  • Flourishing
  • The Lost Story
  • Mouth to Mouth
  • The Runaway
  • The Wordkeepers (The Wordkeepers Trilogy, No. 1)
  • Women on the Case
  • Great Short Works
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married