Start by marking “Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)” as Want to Read:
Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5)

Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole #5)

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  6,058 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
'The funniest person in the world' Caitlin Moran

THE MUST-HAVE CHRISTMAS GIFT for devoted Adrian Mole fans.

Celebrate Adrian Mole's 50th Birthday with this new edition of the FIFTH BOOK in his diaries, where Adrian faces divorce, fatherhood and (short-lived) television stardom.

---------------------------

Wednesday August 13th
Here I am again - in my old bedroom. Older, wiser,
Published January 19th 2012 by Penguin Books LTD (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Adrian Mole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adrian Mole

Andrew Lasher
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before I picked up this book, I had no idea who Adrian Mole or Sue Townsend were. It just so happened that the novel was sitting on the bookshelf in my office one day and I decided to give it a go.

From page one I fell in love with Adrian Mole. Basically, he is a failure. He means well, he does everything he can to be a success, but it always backfires. His story is a true tragic comedy, which fortunately is light enough on the tragedy to keep us from feeling bad.

The best point about Adrian Mole
Brianne
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Townsend is a comic genius who presents am unsparing vision of England in all its (fallen) glory, Chavs and Cocaine Socialists alike. Adrian is the post-modern anti-hero, our generation's Holden Caulfield, if Holden Caulfield had been funnier, more human, and even more readable. (I got through Catcher in the Rye on my eleventh birthday in one sitting. The Adrian Mole series is funnier, more original, and a far better satire of society.)

My laughing fits started in the introduction where Townsend
Rebecca McNutt
Although this book is a little outdated, it's still a story with characters who teenagers everywhere can relate to, and who adults can read about and remember their own years of growing up and finding a place in the world.
Fiona Borrelli
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookcase
It's always hilarious spending some time with neurotic, failing, sanctimonious Adrian Mole. RIP Sue Townsend - a comic genius.
Cat.
Nov 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so I didn't finish this. I've read all the others in this series, and Adrian never fails to make me laugh, but he is such a frigging narcissist. Dunno--it doesn't play well at age 30. Then again, I know a few people who would make him look pretty other-centered!

We find him, in this book, working as a chef in an upscale trendy restaurant in London, in spite of not being able to cook. His young son is living with his parents in Leicestershire. He is hired to do a TV show on cooking, at which
Ute
"I expect that by tomorrow I will have embellished the story and given myself a heroic status I do not deserve, but all the same, on this night at this hour, I am pleased to record that i acquitted myself well."
Anne
Sep 30, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first met Adrian Mole when I was in high school and I was introduced to the young adult novel, The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4, soon thereafter followed by The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole. Adrian lives outside of London and fancies himself somewhat of an intellectual. Unfortunately, life doesn't always go so well for Adrian - his parents' marriage is always on the rocks, he has issues with his teachers (and all sorts of authority), and he never ever seems to get the girl. But, al ...more
Leonie Byrne
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Must say my opinion is completely different to the other reviewers! I read the teenage Adrian mole books as a teenager and enjoyed them. Now as an adult I decided to read the adult ones but read the teen ones again first I didn't find them half as amusing as I did as a teenager but I loved the wilderness and the cappuccino years. I find Adrian's distress at becoming a single parent to not one but two children hilarious. His continuous failure to become some kind of celebrity or hold down a stead ...more
Michelle
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Thirty or so pages into this, I thought Townsend had lost it. The writing felt more linear than Adrian's usual diary style, and there seem to be so much going on around him - too many characters that weren't as interesting or funny as Townsend thinks they are. But she pulls it around. By the middle of the book, Adrian is as pretentious and as annoying as ever. Just how we like him. And the depiction of 90s England is almost as good as Townsend's 80s.
Caitlin
I still re-read the earlier adrian mole books and they always make me laugh. This wasn't as entertaining - not as funny when an oblivious character is 30+ instead of a hapless teenager.
Pandora is still much the same - seems only natural she'd become a Labor MP now that I think of it.

Overall entertaining, but sadly no poems about spawning salmon or letters to the BBC.
Lindsay Nichols
Oh, Adrian Mole...just when you think life is going to work out, someone comes and pulls the rug right out from under you!
Svetlana Jovanovic
Adrian continues to be a funny witness to his time, but I'm afraid it's just a little too long. I would still recommend it, but keep your expectations lowered. It's not as good as 13 3/4.
Alex
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So after a couple of disappointing installments, this is actually my favourite Mole book thus far. It feels like he's been brought into adulthood, but not in a tedious monotonous way that we saw in the Wilderness Years.

Okay, the celebrity chef part is a little unbelievable. But putting that aside, I really love the soap opera melodrama that his life becomes. Losing jobs, moving back home, trying to be a father, and the peripheral drama of his family and Pandora. It manages to be funny as well a
Katherine Hetzel
There's something weirdly addictive about the train wreck that is Adrian Mole's life. I couldn't stop reading it, even when he annoyed the heck out me for being the person that he is! He seems to think that life owes him, but is seriously shortsighted when it comes to looking at why his life is not working out the way he wanted it to...

Plum-crazy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Cappuccino Years" sees Adrian becoming a celebrity, albeit accidentally...& of course he wouldn't be Moley without a mass of insecurities & worries. Will Adrian become a celebrity offal chef, single parent & celibate novelist? Will the BBC ever produce "The White Van" his serial comedy? As ever Adrian Mole's naivety & haplessness never fails to raise a smile with me :o)
Svetlana
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
В принципе, я уже все сказала в предыдущем отзыве...

Долго обсуждали с другом… Он не нашел в нем глубины. В общем, по-его мнению, Моул – это не искусство ))
Ну и пусть, зато весело. И уж получше, чем Коэльо, да и многое другое, что я прочитала в своей жизни. Это точно.
Carol Buchter
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Having read books 1, 3, and 5 (the ones I could easily put my hands on), I must report that I am becoming progressively more fond of Adrian Mole and am looking forward to discovering what happens next. I tore through this 400 page book in a day and a half... ...more
UnionReader
Jul 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the first one

The Adrian Mole books are up and down for me. I loved the first, second and fourth, didn't care for the second and this one. The books work best as a series of diary scribbles, attempts to get a more coherent plot going kill it.
Sherry Mackay
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh Adrian. How you make me weep! Just when things were going so well for you. Love the social and political commentary here. Adore the comedy. And just weep for poor stuffed up Adrian. I have read all the books over and over. I wish there could be more.
Vivian
Jul 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I confess. I bailed at page 53. Although this is funny in a bawdy British way, it is about twenty years stale and really, life it too short.
Sally Lovelock
Oct 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never give up on a book BUT this one was so dull that I couldn't bear to read past page 89.
Nicola
Sep 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm really not sure if the whingeing, woe-is-me formula works as well for a thirty year old man as it does for a thirteen year old boy. My future husband is the same age as Adrian in this book, so I do feel qualified to judge.

That said, I think this is the best diary since Moley came of age! He's cute and moving as a teenager, but such an annoying little bastard when he reaches eighteen then moves in with Pandora in True Confessions. Cappuccino years is just better all round. Pandora is still a
Simon Taylor
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian’s latest adventure is set in 1997-1998; the longest gap between instalments but coming at an ideal time to read Mr. Mole’s diary. Not only is he now at the landmark age of 30, but this is the year of the New Labour landslide and the death of Princess Diana, among others.

As “together” as Adrian’s life seemed to be after the Wilderness Years, we join him now not. He’s divorced, living alone, a semi-absent father working as a ‘head chef’ in a nightmare kitchen. His own father is depressed, h
Sharon
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karo
Mar 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one a lot more than the previous part.

Adrian, while still totally oblivious to so many things happening around him, seems more mature here than in any of the previous books. (view spoiler)
Lynne
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading in honour of the recent passing of Sue Townsend. Initial reading (when it was first published) proved a little disappointing, however, the passage of time seems to have highlighted the satirical elements (particularly of Blairite Britain). Adrian remains convinced of his intellectualism and his creative potential (horridly familiar!!) but has to tackle the fact that the entire world doesn't seem to appreciate him. The diary opens with Adrian apparently successful; he is head chef at s ...more
Ben Baker
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why!? Why would she write another? Adrian was happy! He found love! Why would tear all that apart, Sue Townsend? Thats is pretty much my reaction to this book upon first reading it in 1999. I was eighteen with a suitably Pandora-esque girlfriend of my own and after years of not having to worry about Adrian Mole, here he was back again with a broken marriage and a child. The TV adaptation two years later made things even worse with a slightly off balance unpleasantness aimed at Mole, which didn't ...more
Juwi
Jun 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

now this is the adrian mole i have missed!!!

i don't know whether he is stupid, delusional or an arsehole...probably all of them. of course he has his redeeming moments where he surprises you but usually you can't help but laugh at his stupidity.

so this book see adrian mole as FATHER!!!!! and that is quite worrying but also funny...oh and he's so sexist it's hilarious (you can't take offense because that is the type of character he is...)

he still hasn't gotten his book published poor guy. but
Ria
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At this stage of the diaries Adrian Mole is now in his 30s with a 3 year old child called William though his wife JoJo has left him and a question mark over another child Glenn Bott as he had an affair with his mother Sharon years earlier but prays he is not the culprit but his old enemy Barry Kent.
Meanwhile he has picked up another OAP called Archie Tait and is working on a new radio programme he thinks will take the world by storm called "The Royal Archers."
Also he has a culinary career and a
Andrew
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adrian Mole was one of my favourite books when I was a kid, and I have really enjoyed revisiting those books now, but I was not sure that I would actually like the ones that were about him as an adult. I did read this one over ten years ago when it first came out, but my memories were tainted somewhat by the dreadful TV adaptation of this story. I need not have worried, it was actually a very funny tale but, as is always the case with these, it was tinged with some sadness - in this book life se ...more
  • The E. Before Christmas
  • Hajduk u Beogradu
  • No Onions Nor Garlic
  • Henrietta Sees It Through: More News from the Home Front 1942-1945
  • The Meaning of Life (Rachel Riley, #3)
  • More Than Love Letters
  • The Man in the Rubber Mask
  • I'm A Stranger Here Myself
  • Over the Edge (Chloe & Levesque, #2)
  • Bleak Expectations
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • William Walker's First Year Of Marriage: A Horror Story
  • Pomfret Towers
  • Al Capone and His Gang
  • Adventure Time with Finn & Jake (Issue #8)
  • Asbestemming
  • The Soul of Kindness
  • Goggle-Eyes

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend is a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She suffered from diabetes for many years, as a
More about Sue Townsend...

Adrian Mole (8 books)
  • The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1)
  • The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole #2)
  • True Confessions of Adrian Albert Mole (Adrian Mole, #3)
  • Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole, #4)
  • Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6)
  • The Lost Diaries of Adrian Mole, 1999-2001 (Adrian Mole, #7)
  • Adrian Mole: The Prostrate Years (Adrian Mole, #8)