Start by marking “A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)” as Want to Read:
A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)

A Killing Moon

(Damen Brook #5)

A young student is kidnapped on her way home from the pub, but her nightmare is just beginning...DI Damen Brook is assigned the case but starts to realise that this might not be an isolated incident. With very little to go on, Brook trawls through the murky world of cheap labour and prostitution but comes up against a brick wall. But then bodies start turning up and the ...more
Published May 7th 2015 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about A Killing Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Killing Moon

Start your review of A Killing Moon (Damen Brook, #5)
Janet
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Didn't quite like this one as much as previous books, but still a solid read. Looking forward to book six. Fuller review to follow.
Christine
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘A Killing Moon’ is my first introduction to Steven Dunne’s Damon Brook series and it is really rather excellent. I could not put it down. Steven Dunne takes us into the world of the low paid transients, the easily forgotten and the dark side of Derby. My kind of story!

I got enough of a taste of Damon Brook, the central protagonist, to crave more. Brook has a complicated mental health history, that was alluded to. I found myself very interested in his back story and was wishing I had read the
Kristina
I’m very pleasantly surprised by Steven Dunne’s A Killing Moon. While browsing in the Waterstones book store in Derby, my temporary home, I saw this author’s books stacked in a pile with a sign “local author.” It’s a police procedural set in Derby, an English city I am somewhat familiar with—how can I not buy this book? I’m glad I did. This is a fast-paced, suspenseful crime story with interesting characters and an engrossing investigation. The fact that I am familiar with the areas mentioned, ...more
Liz Barnsley
So a 5th outing for DI Damen Brook then, one of my favourite literary detectives and this one packed a hell of a punch – straight into the action, no time to breathe and off we went.

This instalment centres around a whole bunch of missing girls who nobody realises are actually genuinely missing. Until Damen Brook, avoiding another rather boring assignment, sits up and takes notice. At the same time the reader is given a snapshot of one of the missing girls – Caitlin – what is happening to her is
Shelves: fiction
A Killing Moon is the fifth book in the DI Damen Brook series and wow what a book.

I am a huge fan of this series and for me, even though all the books in the series are 5 star reads to me, A Killing Moon like The Disciple, pushes past the 5 star mark. If I could reward it more I certainly would do.

In A Killing Moon Brook is assigned a missing persons case. It's not long before Brook realises that there is a lot more to this case than first meets the eye and before you know it he is investigating
Richard
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
It was my great pleasure to renew my association with Steven Dunne at Waterstones in Burton-on-Trent. Having met him originally when he was signing books at that town's library promoting his second novel at that time, The Disciple. I have been a fan of his writing ever since and The Killing Moon is his fifth in his DI Damien Brook series set in and around Derby. At the local bookshop he oused his pride for his latest book, saying its the best yet and I am not ready or willing to disagree on that ...more
Anne
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brook hasn't really got a choice; he can get involved in the latest initiative from Chief Super Charlton, and head up the scrap metal merchant project, or he can act on the suspicions of his colleague John Noble and use his skills as a cold-case investigator. Despite Charlton's initial objections, Brook gets his way, not realising that Noble really is onto something. Something that is going to turn into one of the most complex, difficult, violent and potentially lethal cases that Brook will get ...more
Karen
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing

The first book I read by Steven Dunne was Deity in 2012 which was the third book in the Damen Brook series - I enjoyed it so much that I then bought the previous two, however I am sure that many booklovers and bloggers can relate to this - I had all good intentions of reading them to catch up but books overtake books and they are still on my bookshelf, unread!

This is now book 5 (I need to also catch up with book 4) but despite being out of sync with the series, it didn't matter at all as A
Amanda
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for an open and honest review.

My first impression was OMG how good is this book???? Wowzers what a fantastic book it was too- one of the best books I have ever read. It must have been good as I managed to read the book in less than 48 hours which is good going for me. At times I didn't dare breath as I was so caught up in the book. Although obviously I breathed in the end as I wouldn't be here otherwise!!.
The book begins with the disappearance of a young Irish
Tracy Fenton
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Book 5 in the Damen Brook series proves once again that Steven Dunne's books keep getting better and better. A fast paced and gripping thriller based on missing girls in the Derby area. I love Damen Brook and would definitely put him up on my list of top 10 fictional police detectives alongside Roy Grace.
Kate
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Powerful and disturbing story investigated by an intriguing bunch of detectives. Great stuff!

Robert Reynolds
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Up to Mr Dunne's usual high standard

So many twists and turns could not put the book down, very enjoyable read. Looking forward to the next book.
Book Addict Shaun
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I have wanted to read Steven Dunne's books for a long time and so I was excited to see A Killing Moon on bookbridgr. I did want to read the first four books first, but A Killing Moon can be read as a standalone and will certainly leave new readers wanting to go back and read the earlier books thanks to a mixture of brilliant characterisation and masterful storytelling from Steven Dunne.

A Killing Moon is very much a mystery in the beginning, a beginning that was somewhat formulaic as a young
Sandra Foy
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Caitlin Kinnear goes missing after a night out with friends. The problem is nobody knows she is missing for a good while. When D.I. Damen Brook starts looking into the case at the behest of his colleague D.S. John Noble he begins to see similarities with other missing women.

This is a dark, gritty tale set in Derby’s murky underworld. But there is so much more going on here than just a possible kidnapping, this book has depth, layers, twists, suspense and more. At its heart there are themes of
Kath
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reaper and Disciple were two of the first books I read when I got a Kindle and I loved them so much that I have avidly followed the series ever since.
I am always of the mind that series of books should be read in order to get the best as there are the usual back-stories as well as character development but the story contained within this book is complete and, as such, will work as a stand-alone novel.
In dodging the investigation of something he doesn't want to get involved with, DI Damon Brook
Lynda
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, wow and wow! There really is not much else to say.
Having read the four previous instalments in the Damen Brook series it is fair to say that I was already looking forward to this release. I was lucky enough to be selected by Netgalley to read the book in return for an honest review and so my purchased hardback copy can rest on the shelf in pristine glory.
Once again Steven Dunne has delivered a superbly crafted thriller that grips you from the first page and just doesn’t let go until you
Sharon
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A young Irish student, Caitlin Kinnear goes missing on her way home from a night out. With no clue as to her whereabouts and doubt over whether or not a crime has even been committed DI Damen Brook finds himself under pressure from superintendent Charlton to turn his hand to some scrap metal theft investigation...if you know Brook then you know that's just not his thing!
He is determined to pursue all potential leads on the missing girl and he soon finds a connection with other young migrant
Victoria Goldman
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I read A Killing Moon as a standalone and really enjoyed it. It's the 5th book in the DI Damen Brook series. I had previously only read the first book The Reaper, missing out the other three books so far to read this one.

In this intriguing plot, Irish student Caitlin Kinnear is reported missing, yet the police are not convinced that any harm has come to her. Then their research revealed that several young women have disappeared over the last few months. When the body of one of these young women
Bookread2day

A Missing Irish Girl

On Friday the 20th March Caitlin Kinnear a Catholic girl left the Flowerpot pub and walked home up Kedleston Road through the heavy snow, as she walked she texted a message to her best friend to saying I'm done. Heading off. Coming. But through her walk home she heard an angry mocking voice calling her nick name Kit-ty.

Caitlin was a student who simply disappeared without trace. Five other girls from the west Midlands disappeared without trace. Was this a sign of a pattern?
Thebooktrail
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For the booktrail locations - Booktrail of A Killing Moon

If you know Derby well, this will freak you out as the streets lead you and draw you in to a very realistic scenario and plot. Scarily so. The walk Caitlin does at the start is one I’ve done myself several times as have many students over the years – not any more!

This was a good read as it really got me going! The flashbacks and references to past events really helped build the tension as to whether Caitlin would be found and found alive.

Billyf27
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I never hesitate to buy Steven Dunne's novels. Every one of the books is better then the next one and A Killing Moon is no exception. It is a thrilling crime novel with heart and emotions and I couldn't put it down. I can't wait for his next novel.
Moira Sammut
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a great mystery! Had me guessing what will happen till the very end. This was my first book by Steven Dunne, even though it's the 5th in a series.
Mel  Burns
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book had me fascinated and confused all at the same time. Loved it. I though DCI Brook could not surprise me any more but I was so wrong. Loved it and highly recommend it.
Graham
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first venture into the Damon Brook series by Steven Dunne and I was very impressed. Extremely fast paced thriller.
Mary
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked all of Steven Dunne's "D.I. Brooke" series so far, but this one is in my opinion, the weakest link. It started out well and progressed nicely to about, just over the half-way mark. Then, I started to lose interest and I just wanted to get to the end. The end, another problem, was a complete let-down. Motives I feel were half-assed, the finale was just too O.T.T., I don't know, it did not work for me. The subject matter is fairly topical right now and relevant, but it could have been ...more
Helen (TBC)
Shelves: netgalley
Having read and loved the first four of D.I. Damen Brook series I was delighted to be selected by NetGalley to read A Killing Moon in exchange for an honest review so here goes - This the 5th book of the series and I absolutely devoured it; Steven Dunne grabs you from the first chapter and crafts an intelligent and superbly written thriller which keeps you turning the pages, rooting for the victims and Brook and his team and literally holding your breath in places.

In A killing Moon we see Brook
Elaine Aldred
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Caitlin Kinnear an Irish student goes missing, but the police are unable to make any headway on her case. That is until DI Damen Brook begins to apply his unique skills of thinking lateral and making the type of connections that reveals Caitlin is only one of many similar abductions.
As usual the pleasure with a Steven Dunne book unfolding is following the switchback trail of breadcrumbs in very much the same way that DI Brook must do. For this reason this series of books has the feel of the old
Mary
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Killing Moon is another brilliantly tense thriller from Derby's very own crime writer Steven Dunne. This is the fifth in the DI Brook series and I think I'm getting used to having my home city's streets filled with murderers - at least, fictional ones! Brook seems now to have put his past firmly behind him, to be recovering from the psychological scars of his encounter with The Reaper.
The plot twists in satisfyingly complex ways - and, even though the reader, seeing more than one side to the
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the fifth DI Damen Brook book in the series and it is a series which keeps improving.

Caitlin Kinnear is a student who disappears and it isn't long before Brook and his sidekick DS Noble begin to suspect that she isn't the first girl to have disappeared in a similar manner. Whilst Brook is still popular with the powers that be he takes advantage of the opportunity to investigate the case in the manner he wants.

His team are a likeable bunch and it is nice to see Brook developing into a
Mary Johnson
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was delighted to be offered this book to review. Yet another exceptional book in the Damien Brooks series! No longer in a basement, DI Brooks brings light on a mystery that few had even perceived exited. The involvement of Europeans and their contemporary impact on society (and crime) highlights the changes in the UK and the potential vulnerability in those who visit this country seeking..... Something.

The story draws you in subtly but soon becomes compulsive with several twists that keep you

• Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • No Right To Kill (DI Sara Ramsey, #1)
  • Blackout (Pete Fernandez Mystery #4)
  • The Killing Habit (Tom Thorne, #15)
  • The Shape of Night
  • She Lies in Wait (DCI Jonah Sheens, #1)
  • Lärjungen  (Sebastian Bergman, #2)
  • Dead Man's Lane (Wesley Peterson #23)
  • Le temps est assassin
  • Drungi (Hidden Iceland #2)
  • Rattle (The Bone Collector, #1)
  • Searching for Sylvia Lee
  • Disposable Souls
  • Broken Souls (D.I. Lottie Parker, #7)
  • You Were Gone (David Raker, #9)
  • No More Secrets: The tense psychological thriller that you won't be able to stop reading!
  • The Silent Dead
  • The Killing Code (DCI Logan Crime Thrillers, #3)
Steven left Rhodesway School in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1976 after taking A-levels. He graduated from Kent University in 1979 and, after taking a year’s Post Graduate Certificate in Education at St Mary’s College in Twickenham, he undertook a variety of jobs in London, including Public Relations Consultant, freelance Journalist and supply teacher.

He wrote occasional articles for The Guardian,

Damen Brook (6 books)
  • The Reaper (Damen Brook, #1)
  • The Disciple (Damen Brook, #2)
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • The Unquiet Grave (Damen Brook, #4)
  • Death Do Us Part (Damen Brook, #6)
“A sudden burst of spring sunshine illuminated the mass of dust particles hovering in the air like distant galaxies in a NASA photograph, adding to the sense of time suspended.” 0 likes
“Brook nodded, unsure how to proceed. His bag of conversational tools was light at the best of times.” 0 likes