Start by marking “Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter” as Want to Read:
Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter

Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's deepest wish is that everyone understand that knitting is at least as fun as baseball and way cooler than the evil looped path of crochet. Every project, from a misshapen hat to the most magnificent sweater, holds a story. Yarn Harlot tells all those stories with humor, insight, and sympathy for the obsessed.

Over 50 million people in America knit.
Published September 1st 2005 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Yarn Harlot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yarn Harlot

Start your review of Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
Dawn
Apr 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: crafters
Recommended to Dawn by: Jane Luce
Honestly, I laughed out loud, I cried silently, I saw myself on nearly every page--and I can barely knit! This is a book about addictions--the healthy ones--that all of us find ourselves tangled up with at some point in our lives, and we find that we are suddenly obsessive/compulsive about something and just don't know how to "put it down". Since there seems to be no cure, we do our best to make the activity meaningful not only for ourselves, but also for our families and others around us. I fee ...more
JoAnna Spring
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Knitting humor.

Seriously! It is fun stuff. Nearly as fun as blocking your first lace shawl or rolling around naked in your yarn stash.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka the Yarn Harlot, is a knitter, a mum (she's Canadian), a doula, the inventor of the word "kinnearing" and a super fun writer. I've been reading her blog for a few months and finally picked up one of her books. Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter is described as "a sort of David Sedaris-like take on knitting," but it is really so m
Nicky
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I crochet. I already have a yarn stash which is defying the laws of physics, and making my housemates a little nervous. I've taught my best friend to crochet, and one of my housemates is in the process of learning. (We're incredibly proud of a very, very long row of chain stitches, which are going to become -- eventually -- a scarf for my teddy bear.)

My girlfriend knits. I own a full length replica of the scarf Tom Baker wore as the Eighth Doctor, on Doctor Who, knitted for me by her. I have a k
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, adult, favorites
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is an awesome writer who can take an ordinary story and make it sound like the funniest knitting story you have ever read. I love reading her books because they cause side-splitting laughter and that my friends, is a good thing.
Joanne
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was such fun, full of situations us knitters can relate to. The last few chapters did scrape the barrel a bit but I will definitely be looking to read her other books if I get the chance.
leighcia
Aug 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
I skimmed through this book fairly quickly since it is a bit of a guilty light-reading for me. For a non-knitter this book would probably make no sense whatsoever. For someone who has is slowly being pulled into the lure of the craft, the book is slightly amusing and mildly entertaining, reading like a series of blog entries. It consists of short stories and essays, ranging from falling in love with lace knitting, the excruciating pains of knitting gifts for Christmas, and the infamous yarn stas ...more
Jamie
Oct 22, 2014 rated it did not like it
I had to stop reading this book after the chapter in which she describes trying to convince her wool-allergic friend that her allergy is all in her head by knitting several items for her out of various types of wool. I'm sure there are some creative liberties taken for the sake of humor with this story as well as most of the other stories in this book, but I really didn't find it funny. I think that a story about tricking your wool-allergic friend into trying out wool socks you knitted for them ...more
Jane Stewart
Dec 09, 2014 rated it liked it
2 ½ stars. Readers who knit might enjoy this. It’s not for me.

I did not laugh. There are 37 chapters. Each one is like an amusing personal essay. For example: First chapter is the author’s attempt to knit a large afghan. The project is too big, and she has trouble staying motivated. Second chapter is the author and a friend each knitting a sweater. Problems include running out of yarn and fixing the size. Third chapter is about the author knitting a cardigan for herself. I only read those three
Patricia
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Staphanie spins a good yarn.....(get it!!!) about the secret lives of knitters.......their life of stash concealmet.............., their unrealistic goal setting.............. their frustrationa with deisgners....their wool fetishs. I laughed out loud many times as I recognized my habits of my friends ............and my own off and on again relationship with this most wonderful craft.

I had two favorite chapters. One is very serious as she is requested to take on the stash of a very dear friend w
Alesha Hubbell
Jun 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
I love reading about knitting. It is so inspiring to me as a fiber artist. Plus this book is very funny and relatable to knitters and non-knitters alike. There were also some very poignant and touching moments where I teared up a bit, which of course just inspired more kniiting.
Malissa
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really fun read! Totally justified my yarn hoarding stashing habits. I don't even usually enjoy nonfiction and flew through this laughing out loud along the way. Maybe someday I'll be a capital k Knitter too! ;)
Jacqueline J
I've almost never laughed harder. Maybe you have to be a knitter to really get it, but I don't think so. I think even those of you unfortunates who can't or won't knit will laugh out loud.
Catherine
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Sprout for introducing me to this book! a great mix of comedy (when a squirrel steals her wool), drama (when she runs out of room for her stash), horror (moths!) and practical tips (to avoid all of the above, keep yarn in the freezer). Recommended for all knitters or those seeking to understand them.
Anne-Marie
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Hilarious.
Jennifer Johnson
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It's my favorite "Pearl-McPhee" so to speak. She at one point is beyond hilarious and the next moment she can bring you in and break your heart. Knitters and crafters alike will enjoy her insight, her humor and most of all, her passion for her craft.

I think it's not secret that I'm pretty passionate about knitting. It's something that I do that I honestly feel truely happy while doing it... even when I'm fucking up brilliantly or struggling with the shame of an unfinished proj
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly comforting and totally entertaining. Perfect for my post-root canal mood (read cranky, irritable and a little sore, but still resisting the Vicodin)

My favorite was the list of 10 ways that parenting and knitting are alike (especially 1, 2, 5 and 7. I know nothing about 3, but I believe it):

1. You have to work on something for a really long time before you know if it's going to be okay.
2. They both involve an act of creation involving common materials, easily found around the home.
3. B
Bookishnymph *needs hea*
Cute and funny. This book taught me a lot about superwash yarn, the trials of big, green afghans, the dedication of becoming a Knitter instead of a knitter, and the limited color pallets of men of Newfoundland.
I laughed out loud many times, and identified in several places. I think that anyone who knits or crochets will probably see themselves at least once in this book.
However I don’t know any members of TAKE, but that may be because my mother crochets, as does my grandmother, and my cousin kn
Katie Kenig
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Let me start out by saying that I would have pushed this to three and a half stars if that were possible here, but I just couldn't push it to a four.

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee is a knitting blogger. Yarn Harlot is, I'm guessing, scraped from blog content. That's not necessarily a bad thing; there are books of that type that I've loved, and that have introduced me to blogs that I now follow and am a huge fan of. But I wasn't expecting it with this book, and for some reason, the disjointed nature of t
Chrissy
I don't know if you have to be a knitter to enjoy this book, but being a knitter I laughed, I cried, and I recognized myself in the pages. I read some sections aloud to my husband who also laughed, but probably in sympathy to the author's husband who knows what it is like to live with someone who covers every room in the house with works in progress. If you have a knitter in your life you should read this to better understand the way their brain works, or it would make an excellent gift for said ...more
Bridget
Jul 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads
I know I'm probably in the minority here, but this book just didn't do it for me, like it has [apparently:] for a lot of other knitters. I didn't even finish it, to be perfectly honest.

It wasn't awful, and some things did make me laugh or smile, so I'm not saying it is a total waste of time. It's just that I find a lot of other knitters' blogs to be more interesting, and a lot funnier than this book. Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's blog itself is often better than this book. I know it's the first one
Nell
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domestic-arts
I'm only a knitter, not a Knitter as the Yarn Harlot defines it, but still I found this pretty funny. Especially loved the essays on her stash. Someone lent this to me as inspiration since I was feeling stuck with my current project, to show that even experienced, expert knitters go through the same angst. It did help nudge me along and was an enjoyable read into the bargain.
Kim
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hello. My name is Kim. I am addicted to knitting. Seriously, I am. I had my husband wait to go out, just so I could finish reading. And I finished chuckling. The way this book ends is the way I want to leave this world. I love the down to earth stories about living the life of a knitter. I can identify.
Pam
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Regrettably, even though I tried to read really really really slow I just finished the Yarn Harlot. I laughed hard at Stephanie and at myself. Now the dilemma... Do I horde the book along with my yarn or pass it along to another Knitter?
Thanks Ketti for the fun read. It was a great birthday gift.
Charity Dušíková
McPhee is a knitting humorist, and this book is a collection of various knitting anecdotes, varying from squirrels stealing dyed wool to compulsive habits in yarn stashing. Though the subject matter may not appeal to all, her style is very witty. I have also seen her speak, and she is quite eloquent.
Leah
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I still like this book. Most of the stories were amusing, a few were hilarious, and a couple were sad. All of them were quite short. I'm a knitter, so I could relate to most of the stories, which is why I enjoyed this book so much.
Sara
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
It's a rare pleasure to read a book in a day, but I did with this little gem, a lovely way to kick of 2017. As a Knitter (for reals, I've steeked too, I swear!) I laughed out loud many times, a high bar for me, but also teared up during this one. Well done, now back to knitting...
Grumpy72
May 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read! Though parts are dry there are some "Ah-ha!" moments where I see myself in her scenarios.... there are also some that made me laugh really hard!
Jessica
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Wonderful stories about knitting, some hilarious and some quite touching.
Tammie
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love these books! The author is so funny and she makes me feel like a competent knitter.
Lil' Grogan
Jun 30, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up 75% in, most of it is boring. Don't understand why this has roused the devotion that it has.

• Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • A Stash of One's Own: Knitters on Loving, Living with, and Letting go of Yarn
  • Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook: Instructions, Patterns, and Advice for a New Generation of Knitters
  • Knitlandia: A Knitter Sees the World
  • The Yarn Whisperer: My Unexpected Life in Knitting
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club (Jo Mackenzie, #1)
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • Searching for Coach Taylor
  • Help Is On the Way
  • Knitting Yarns: Writers on Knitting
  • Vanishing Fleece: Adventures in American Wool
  • The Knitting Circle
  • Kind of Hindu
  • The Friday Night Knitting Club (Friday Night Knitting Club, #1)
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (better known as the Yarn Harlot) is a prolific knitter, writer and blogger known for her humorous but always insightful anecdotes and stories about knitting triumphs and tragedies.