Start by marking “Wolf Dreams” as Want to Read:
Wolf Dreams

Wolf Dreams

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  521 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
How does a handsome young man who keeps company with poets and dreams of fame and fortune in the movie business become a brutal killer who massacres women and children without turning a hair? Wolf Dreams reveals this transformation in a novel of unflinching detail and commanding prose. The story follows Nafa Walid, heart-throb of the Casbah, as he gradually loses control o ...more
Published December 6th 2004 by Toby Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Dreams

Hana
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Histoire de l’Algérie, de la pire période de notre chère Algérie, histoire de la décennie noir... et oui autre histoire de la déccenie noir que cette fois ci l’héro de notre roman est un terroriste....
Une histoire très dure qui nous décrit comment un jeune homme ordinaire élevé dans une famille honnête et droite, sombre dans l'horreur de la folie barbare et devient un loup pour la cause islamiste. Comment est-ce qu'il en vient à commettre des actes des plus violents, sanglants, inhumains ?
Ce li
Matt
Oct 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yasmina Khadra is a penname for a former Algerian military officer who lives in exile in France. Yasmina Khadra here gives wonderful insight into the way an Islamic extremist is formed. The sense of social injustice and betrayal is similar to what I've found in my meetings with Hamas men over more than a decade. The book portrays the disillusion of men for whom a religious struggle has descended into nothing more than the corrupt bloodlust of their leaders.
Emily
Oct 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Das Interessante: das Thema Terrorismus, die Vermittlung einzelner Eindrücke der politischen Situation Algeriens, das Milieu untere Mittelschicht in der Stadt Alger. Die Geschichte eines jungen Mannes - ungebildet aber mit ein paar Talenten ausgestattet - der zum Terroristen wird, ist durchaus glaubhaft. Insgesamt ist die Geschichte aber auch sehr vorhersehbar, an vielen Stellen zu schwarz-weiss, manchmal oberflächlich.
Ein kurzes, schnelles Lesevergnügen, das einen sehr fesselt, von dem aber nic
قادة زاوي
من اكثر ما قرات دراماتيكية حول العشرية السوداء في الجزائر، بم تحلم الذئاب تخليد كتابي للمشهد الدموي في جزائر التسعينات.
هي قصة وليد نافا الشاب اللطيف الذي يتحول بفعل الافكار المظللة التي دفعته اليها الحياة الاجتماعية القاسية في العاصمة الى قاتل مستذئب من الدرجة الاولى.

ما يعيب الرواية هو ترجمتها العربية الرديئة على الرغم من ان المترجم هو الاديب امين الزاوي، عدم تناسق واضح في الكثير من فقرات الرواية. ضف الى ذلك الاخطاء اللغوية و الكثير من الاخطاء المطبعية.
Imene
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Many people speak about islamic fundamentalism but very few really understand the reasons that push young men to such violence towards themselves and others. I found this book amazingly interesting and intuitive. It's the story of a young man who dreams of going to France, having a girlfriend and enjoying life and instead finds himself wishing to destroy it instead.
Great book!
Maggyheintz Heintz
I read this book in one day. I really got into the story and absolutely wanted to know how it was going to end, even if you know it right from the start ! I would have put 3.5 stars if I could have... I have read 5 books of Yasmina Kadhra over the past 5 months, and maybe that was a bit too much. I love the writing style but I should give it a break now for a little while....
Kristin
I have mixed feelings about this book. I can't say I "enjoyed" it, as the book details how a man goes from an artist (an actor) to a violent, fundamentalist (Islamic, but the theology is totally irrelevant to the story). The story is incredibly violent, and incredibly sad. I feel unqualified to really review this book, as I don't know enough about Algerian history and politics to know how well this story holds true to the facts on the ground in Algeria. Personally, I felt it gave me a good windo ...more
Marie-Jo Fortis
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the best book to read around Christmas time, so I promised myself to finish it at least one week before the Holidays.

It is an informative read if you want to have a more profound perspective on Islamist fundamentalism and terrorism. We are fed in the American news with the notion that these people attack other cultures, but are seldom informed about what they do to their own people. Nor are we told that fundamentalism feeds on social injustice. For it is in the underprivileged part o
Diane
The author is Algerian and former Algerian army officer who now lives in France. The story is of a young, sensitive Algerian man who is struggling to find some meaning in his life. He finally becomes involved in working for an Islamist group helping raise money to support (he believes) widows and families who have been left destitute by government raids. For the first time he feels that he is making a difference and that his life is worth while. Even though he refuses to carry a gun, he begins t ...more
Noemí
Jan 17, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una visión dura pero muy interesante de la Argelia de los noventa y de cómo un joven puede acabar convirtiéndose en yihadista. Aunque no es el mejor libro de Khadra (me gustaron más El atentado y Lo que el día debe a la noche) y a veces resulta un poco pesado, merece la pena leerlo.
Middle East/North...: Wolf Dreams(Jan/Feb) 2011 57 61 Mar 18, 2011 02:47PM
  • The Lovers of Algeria
  • Algerian White
  • Grâce et dénuement
  • The German Mujahid
  • L'affaire Nicolas le Floch
  • Où j'ai laissé mon âme
  • Le gone du Chaâba
  • Some Dream for Fools
  • Houseboy
  • Yaşamak Güzel Şey Be Kardeşim (Romanlar 3)
  • Street of Thieves
  • Segu (Ségou, #1)
  • Το χαμένο νησί
  • War Junkie
  • The Fortunes of Wangrin
  • Carlota Fainberg
  • That Smell and Notes from Prison
  • Der Keller: Eine Entziehung
Yasmina Khadra (Arabic: ياسمينة خضراء, literally "green jasmine") is the pen name of the Algerian author Mohammed Moulessehoul.
Moulessehoul, an officer in the Algerian army, adopted a woman's pseudonym to avoid military censorship. Despite the publication of many successful novels in Algeria, Moulessehoul only revealed his true identity in 2001 after leaving the army and going into exile and seclu
More about Yasmina Khadra...