Start by marking “The Glade” as Want to Read:
The Glade

The Glade

“Readers who like to curl up during the long winter evenings and feel the delicious chill of fear running up and down their spines need only turn to The Glade to have all their expectations fulfilled.
The Glade is a horror story in the mould of Stephen King, and rendered the more so by its faint echoes of Pet Cemetery and the even stronger resonance of the pervasive maligna
Published November 13th 2013 by Harmony Kent

To ask other readers questions about The Glade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Glade

Vashti Quiroz-Vega
The Glade is a paranormal horror about a woman with terminal cancer, Helen, who retreats to a cottage in the woods with her husband, Geoff, to spend her last days. Instead, she begins to recover from her illness due to the mysterious curative power of the surrounding forest.

The author keeps readers on their toes by adding twists and turns and switching between the past and the present — eventually merging them together in the end. The story is well told and easy to follow.

The Glade hooked me fro
Tracy
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rrbc
From page one, the author had me hooked on this story. I was very apprehensive to read it, because, frankly, the cover made me think this was a horror story. It definitely is a creepy read, but it's entwined in a love story, and a fantasy world. I whipped through this book and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Winter Sophia Rose
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Twists, Turns, Riveting, Action Packed, Engrossing, Complex & Deep! A Powerful Chilling Read! I Loved It!
D.L. Finn
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a huge fan of Stephen King so I couldn’t wait to read this after seeing the comparison. Although, “Pet Cemetery” isn’t one of my favorite Stephen King books, “The Glade” didn’t have in it what I disliked in Mr. King’s book but instead had the intrigue I did like. Helen and Geoff Wenstrop spent a holiday in a small village. They found some property, and against warnings not to purchase it, they did and built a house. Helen later goes there to die from cancer, but mysteriously recovers. I foun ...more
D.E.
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read by this author so I wasn’t totally sure what to expect but it sounded like something that would appeal to me so I thought I would give it a go.

The story opens with a woman being arrested for her husband’s murder but even that isn’t as simple as it sounds and, with scenes alternating between past and present, we discover what lead to that murder and also why it wasn’t actually a murder in any real sense of the word.

You would imagine that moving to live in a beauti
Clare Wilson
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin... this book is not one for the faint hearted, but I can honestly say, that I absolutely loved it.
At the outset, we are introduced to Helen, the protagonist, who is under arrest for the murder of her husband Geoff. I know what you're thinking... a murder mystery? Think again. We are taken back in time to find out exactly what led Helen to her current predicament, and the results are fantastical and terrifying.
From the very beginning, the reader is propelled down the rabbit hole, i
Staci Troilo
The description of this book referred to Stephen King's Pet Sematary, so I was intrigued. It didn't disappoint.

The description in this book is palpable. I felt the ominous presence in the forest. I struggled to breathe with the oppressive evil sucking the energies from the forces of light. The characters were so compelling to me. This is a perfect example of an unreliable narrator. We see everyone through Helen's eyes, and as she can't trust anyone, we can't trust them, either. It was a thrill-f
Sue Lloyd
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark Forces At Work In The Glade

A relocation to The Glade appeared to be a good idea for Geoff and Helen Wenstrop.

Helen is terminally ill. She wants to spend the rest of her days in tranquil surroundings, however, there is a force at work in The Forest Of Dean - One that reveals itself as this clever tale progresses.

Following the relocation, Helen is arrested for the murder of her husband, Geoff. All is not well in the Wenstrop household, nor the surrounding forest.

The story twists and turns a
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
When I got this book to review, I had no idea what to expect but from the moment I started reading I was hooked!

The story starts off with Helen and her husband Geoff getting away from dealing with stress by holidaying in a nice little cottage and then discovering the glade.From that moment on they are sucked into the magic and mystery that the glade has to offer.

The story was fast paced enough to keep you wanting more but not overwhelmingly so that you felt the story was being rushed. Like I say
Shirley
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
WHAT A STORY!

Harmony your imagination knows no bounds and you are a great storyteller. I never would have picked up this book to read on my own because I’d rather watch a movie in this genre (a supernatural thriller) rather than read it. But it was like I was at the movies because your writing is so smooth and you bring the reader into your characters. I could picture what was going on in your head. That is what makes the reading so enjoyable. I’m not going to divulge the story except to say it
Jaideep Bhoosreddy
Diving head first into this novel, I had absolutely no idea what to expect, which rarely happens. But this time, it was for the better. The writing was actually very much to my liking. It was aptly descriptive, but not excessive.

The anecdotes and references were also easily understandable which I face when reading many foreign authors -although it wouldn't be so terrible if it did, but it would have felt like missing something.

The story begins at a brisk pace and continues at such. The beginning
Mike Nach
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading “The Glade,” I’ve decided not to ever buy or build a house in a strange place.
Check out what happened to the Wenstrops when they build a cottage in the forest of Dean. Helen and Geoff Wenstrop were a happy (?) couple until the glade appears in their lives. Life soon turns hellish when they move in their cottage. Geoff gets killed and Helen is blamed for it. Helen insists that Geoff was not the one to die, but she. Sounds cryptic? The story oscillates between the past and the prese
Larry B Gray
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Glade by Harmony Kent is a fast paced, action packed thriller which literally will keep you up at night. I can truly say this book spooked and scared me, but I could not put it down.

The author did a great job of developing her storyline. It was deep but she continually provided you with the insight and background to understand and follow the story. The numerous plot twist and turns made the story even more real and exciting.

I like the way Harmony Kent developed her characters. She gave the
Tina Clark
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The glade-I had no idea what this story was going to be about. I just wanted to read something different. This story was amazing. I wanted to keep reading. The story started out about a couple dealing with stress and finally getting away and stayed in a nice cottage until they met the glade. Crazy things was happening at the glade. It changes you. The story kept you in suspense had know idea what was going to happen next. It was a mystery, romance and fantasy all at once. All the characters play ...more
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Jul 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beth Hale
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Glade is one of those books that sweeps you up from the moment you begin reading. Right away, I was caught up in the story of Helen, a woman who has her life turned completely upside down after spending a holiday at the Glade.

There was suspense, high drama, and otherworldly activity throughout the book. I enjoyed the tale. The details were excellent, the characters well thought out, and the writing was fantastic. The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is I feel that, close to
C.L.
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You have to pay attention because this book leaps back and forth between the past and the present until the action catches up. There's a malevolent force in a forest glen that lures people in by curing supposedly incurable physical conditions. When it wants payback, all hell breaks loose, with the plants on the attack and the dead coming back to life. Excellent storytelling that held my attention because I enjoy the so-called paranormal side of things.
Karen Pimblett
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OH Wow!! Seriously... I cannot think of anything else to say! The moment I picked this book up I was hooked (and I don't often say that! Lol.) The characters are so real and you certainly join them on their roller coaster ride of emotions, as the story unfolds. There are plenty of twists and turns and MEGA surprises and wow!! Who would guess the end? Well in fact, no-one.. smiles.. it truly does keep you in suspense. Way to go Harmony I am SO looking forward to your next one!x
Marc Estes
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read. I have to admit I was at first pulled in by the cover, but it didn't take long for the story to lock me in place for a thrill ride I thoroughly enjoyed. Great story and character development, You could relate with the characters, feel their feelings, and smell their fear. It is easy to see why this book is getting such positive attention. I would not think twice about recommending this one. Way to go Harmony Kent!
Mark Bierman
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of Stephen King, I was naturally curious when I read the synopsis for The Glade. I must say, I was not disappointed! What better way to hold a horror junkie’s attention than some spooky old ruins and a village frightened out of its wits? Harmony does a fantastic job of keeping the reader in angst. Will there be any survivors? Will evil be defeated? Read on to find out!
Mark Bierman

gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that THE GLADE by Harmony Kent is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
zoë ❅ (fallxnrobin)

I breathe a sigh of relief as I see the percentage on my Kindle reach 100% for at long last, I have finally finished reading this book. It’s honestly not the book’s problem, but rather a problem with myself. It all started the moment I saw that the book had over 6000 locations, almost twice the length of the books I’ve been reading these days on my Kindle, and so that made me feel that getting through the book was a chore, watching that percentage slowly rise.

Even though she had killed
Teri
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I knew nothing about this book and only saw the cover, I'd want to read it based on that alone.  Being a King fan, when I read this book had 'faint echoes of Pet Sematary', I was a goner.

In most horror movies and books, when the supernatural occurrences begin in a house, you wonder why the owners don't just vacate the premises.  Find a new house with no previous owners.  Preferably not one on an Indian burial ground.  But Helen doesn't have that option - if she leaves, her terminal cancer ret
Tahlia Newland
Feb 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Glade is basically a supernatural suspense story. It's different, intriguing and totally unpredictable.

Like many indie works this book crosses genres. The supernatural element puts it in the fantasy category, but apart from The Presence that Helen and Geoff, her husband, feel in their little glade in the Forest of Dean and the dead people who get up and walk, it all happens in the fairly ordinary world of a small country village. It's this low key approach that makes the story all the more
Brian O'Hare
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not for the Faint-hearted

The Glade by Harmony Kent opens with an almost lyrical introduction to a clearing in an old forest. A young couple, enamoured by the peace and tranquillity of the place, decide, despite dire warnings from a local resident, to build their new home there. But the idyll begins to fade, crushed by a growing malevolence. The couple are caught up in a vortex of horror that threatens their marriage, their sanity, their very lives.

The glade is a horror story in the mould of Ste
Stephanie
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-thriller

Helen and Geoff plan for a nice weekend at a cottage in the Forest of Dean. During their stay, they find an idyllic setting with a small cottage foundation that they villagers call ‘The Glade.’ Helen and Geoff are pulled towards the Glade and want to build a home there. They are warned off from the area by everyone in town, but Helen and Geoff proceed anyway, especially when Helen learns of her terminal diagnosis. Their country cottage was supposed to be a place where Helen went to die; instead
Kerry Reis
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-version
Helen Wenstrop has been arrested for the murder of her husband, Geoff, but it wasn’t supposed to be like this when the two of them came to Parkdean and the cottage in the Glade three years earlier for Helen to spend her final days dying of an incurable cancer. Yet, what was the power of the glade that seemed to cure Helen of her incurable disease, even though the residents of the town warned them not to stay? What evil and energy began to possess Helen and Geoff and the other guests of the inn t ...more
C.S. Boyack
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice paranormal tale, January 4, 2015
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Glade (Kindle Edition)
This is a good paranormal tale, with enough modern setting to help readers ground themselves. This really helps to make the odd things stand out. Other reviewers have discussed Helen's journey at length, so I'll stray a little from that.

There are a few too many characters here that don't serve much purpose. I think combining a few of them would have helped the sto
Sharon Stevenson
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Glade' is a suspenseful mystery mixed with paranormal horror. Helen is arrested for killing her husband, and as she begins to explain her story to her friend/lawyer we go back to what brought her to her current situation.

The story begins in the present and then starts to jump back and forth to the past to unravel what lead to Helen's current situation. I thought that the way this was done amped up the suspense and this is what held my interest in the beginning. I didn't get very attached to
Mae Clair
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tale that combines tangled relationships with creepy supernatural events, The Glade shifts between past and present to unravel the story of Helen and Geoff Wenstrop and a number of people who cross their paths. I love when an author uses that shifting time frame to relay a story, and Harmony Kent does it exceptionally well.

I was sucked into the story immediately (it opens with a bang) and from there settled in to see how a seemingly idyllic glade tucked in sleepy forest morphs into something
Bargain Basement: Free for Review: The Glade 19 72 Oct 22, 2013 06:33AM
Modern Good Reads: R4R...The Glade 4 12 Oct 10, 2013 11:18AM
Indie Author Harmony Kent is an award winning multi-genre author. Her publications include:

The Battle for Brisingamen (Fantasy Fiction) AIA approved
The Glade (Mystery/Thriller) AIA Approved/BRAG Medallion Honouree/New Apple Literary Awards Official Selection Honours 2015
Elemental Earth (YA Fantasy Fiction)
Polish Your Prose: Essential Editing Tips for Authors (Writing/Editing) New Apple Literary A
“Know many, trust a few, but always paddle your own canoe. ” 3 likes
“She realised now what courage actually was.  It wasn’t about not being afraid, no—it was more about feeling that fear and doing it anyway. ” 3 likes