Start by marking “The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients” as Want to Read:

Anyone interested in psychotherapy or personal growth will rejoice at the publication of The Gift of Therapy, a masterwork from one of today's most accomplished psychological thinkers.

From his thirty-five years as a practicing psychiatrist and as an award-winning author, Irvin D. Yalom imparts his unique wisdom in The Gift of Therapy. This remarkable guidebook for succ

Published January 1st 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published December 24th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Therapy, please sign up.
Jean-baptiste It's a suite of ideas about how to be a good therapist, written by a famous one, in a sometimes serious sometimes amusing way. Easy reading,…moreIt's a suite of ideas about how to be a good therapist, written by a famous one, in a sometimes serious sometimes amusing way. Easy reading, entertaining and useful at the same time, mostly if you are following a therapy or if you are a psychologist yourself, I guess.(less)

Sally McRogerson
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Pushes the boundaries of modern therapy. The man touches his clients! Physically! OMG! Not only that, but he recommends that therapists should allow space between clients to digest and record and not fill every available therapeutic minute chasing another $! How wonderful, that we can still behave like humans in a field where that is what is so often needed. Validation. If therapists can't connect with clients how the hell is therapy supposed to work? Be where the client is. I think that's the m ...more
Thomas
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book I would recommend to any aspiring or current therapist. Irvin Yalom writes concise and easy-to-read chapters that span several pertinent psychological topics, such as how to exude empathy and when to self-disclose. He hits on unique subjects like the relationship between sex and therapy, as well as the role of research in a therapeutic setting. His advice to focus on the present and to engage with clients in a way that transcends typical boundaries shows his expertise and insight ...more
Katja
Oct 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
My fourth Yalom book, this text was the perfect supplement to my Masters course in Psychology (actually sometimes the uni course felt like a supplement to the book!). In an age of “don’t touch your clients” and “don’t let your clients into your life”, comes such advice as “Let your patients matter to you”, “Be transparent” and “Make home visits”. While I wouldn’t agree with everything in this book, it is nonetheless a much-needed antidote to the rigid and restrictive formal training young therap ...more
Mahsa
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عالی بود و فوق العاده کاربردی... نه فقط برای بیمار و درمانگر؛ که برای یه خواننده معمولی که میخواد بتونه بهتر خودش رو کاوش کنه، عکس العمل ها رو ببینه و درک کنه و ارتباط بهتری رو بسازه.
کتاب تقریبا تمامِ مباحثی که یه درمانگر احتیاج داره رو داخل خودش جای داده، بعضی مباحث کوتاه و در حد یک صفحه هستن اما با مطرح شدن شون ذهن رو درگیر میکنن و همین میتونه کافی باشه.
طرز بیان این کتاب خیلی ساده س و خواننده حتی اگه درمانگر نباشه به زیبایی میتونه خودش رو مخاطب حرفای نویسنده ببینه و تطبیق بده و از نکات مفید و
Matt
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have the impression that many books on therapy in the self-help section are full of watered-down insight and oft-repeated platitudes,like clever pats on the back repackaged a thousand times before---but this book is nothing like that. Yalom is widely considered a contemporary genius in the field when it comes to group therapy (which he is often credited with formulating for contemporary contexts), and this book, despite his occasional self-indulgences, is a testament to his brilliant self-effa ...more
Laurie
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
God, I love this book. It's 3 a.m. and I have 5 patients tomorrow, so I need to sleep instead of write right now. But I really really love this book. So much of it resonates with my beliefs about what therapy should be, which too often is not what we're taught or how many of us behave. In many ways reading it was an experience of validation for the way I work and my complex feelings about all of it. I'm usually a library reader, but I'm glad I bought this one, because I'll be reading it again an ...more
Zeinab
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Zeinab by: Saba Ghabrai
همزمان اشتیاق فراوان به درمانگر شدن پیدا کرده، و از درمانگری ترسیدم.
بعضی فصلها عالی بودند. جز قسمتهایی که به وجدم میآوردند، فصول ۳۹ و ۴۶ هم برای کمک به دو سه نفر از کسانی که با هم صحبت میکنیم خیلی کارآمد به نظر رسیدند. البته وقتی میخوانیشان میبینی انگار نکتههای کلی و خیلی بدیهی هستند، ولی خوب، معمّا چو حل گشت آسان شود؛ معلوم نیست اگر دربارهشان نخوانده بودم هیچوقت حواسم بهشان جلب میشد یا نه.
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I started this book in an independent study in the last semester of a my MSSW. This was an exciting and wholly overwhelming time as season of school was ending and the season of getting a job and actually "doing the damn thing" was starting. I felt like I had a precious handful things I that I knew and a bathtub full of knowing of what I don't know. I had (and still sort of have) an urgency to get more, know more and "cram" in anything to quiet the panic of "doing the damn thing" with so much le ...more
Sara Kamjou
یالوم نکاتی ریز از درمانگری را در این کتاب با روانشناسات در میان میگذارد که قابل توجهاند، با این حال نحوه ارائه این اصول و نوع چارچوببندیاش گاه پراکنده به نظر میرسید و گاه تیتروار رها میشد.
-------------------
بخشهای ماندگار کتاب:
غمانگیز است که مدتی طولانی با دیگران باشی و با این حال، اجازه ندهی آنها آنقدر برایت اهمیت پیدا کنند که بر تو تاثیر بگذارند و تغییرت دهند.
...
گرچه مادیت مرگ، نابودمان میسازد، اندیشهی مرگ، نجاتمان میدهد.
Dovilė Stonė
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skaičiau studijų metais kaip būsimoji terapeutė, o dabar perskaičiau kaip pacientė.

Pamenu, tuomkart paliko didelį įspūdį kaip sklandus praktiškų patarimų ir įžvalgų rinkinys, bet įtariu, kad šįkart iš knygos pasiėmiau gerokai daugiau.

Labai naudinga skaityti ją terapijos metu, tarp konsultacijų -- padeda kitu kampu žvilgtelėti į vykstančius procesus, geriau suprasti terapeuto rolę, motyvuoja nerti truputį giliau.

Būsimiesiems terapeutams -- must read. Labai gera skaityti į tokį ilgametės patirt
Mengran Xu
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Process, Process, Process

You simply cannot ignore Yalom. Every psychologist can benefit from reading his work regardless of their clinical approach, so did I.

I love the way he writes and how this book is structured. There are 85 chapters in total and each “chapter” consists of no more than a handful pages. He addressed many practical issues that all therapist have encountered and struggled with—therapeutic relationship, boundary, disclosure, transparence, dream, death, and more. You
Heather
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: MSW students, anyone in the "helping" professions
A professor recommended How Can I Help? to budding social workers, and I'm recommending The Gift of Therapy. It's quite possible that no one in the world can really understand why we do what we do except for others in the profession, and this "open letter" is an excellent resource to remind us to keep on keeping on with a sense of humor and open hearts and minds.

I give it two very solid thumbs up.
Hamidreza jafarsalehi
از بین آثار یالوم که تا کنون خوانده ام (و نیچه گریست، مامان و معنای زندگی و کتاب اخیر؛ موهبت رواندرمانگری) این کتاب تخصصی تر و خطاب به رواندرمانگران با تجاربی بوده اما همچنان برای خواننده ی عمومی چون من گیرا بود. گیرایی آثار یالوم، علاوه بر هنر ساده نوشتن موضوعات تخصصی، بر درگیر کردن ذهن خواننده اثر می گذارد و دریچه هایی نو در ذهن می گشاید و من این را غنیمت می شمارم.
Paulette
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was primarily acquainted with Irvin Yalom: "the group psychotherapy guru." However, he is equally strong as an individual psychodynamic psychotherapist and well-known author of several other books on the therapy process, most notable "Love's Executioner." This book is a slim volume he has written late in his career to advise primarily new therapists, drawing from 45 years of experience. It consists of 5 sections with short chapters, some only one page. Each chapter is succinct and direct.

The
Lilyan
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book when I started. However, as with all non fiction books I started loosing focus by the end of it. Not the books fault, I just have a short attention span when it comes to non-fiction.

Therapy from Yalom's point of view, is exactly how I always dreamed it should be. Humane and non-commercial. He really cares about reaching out to his clients and exploring his relationship with them, rather than the cold and aloof manner therapists seem to adopt with their patients. Dissecting th
Brin
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
So many relevant insights! Yalom's words about the therapeutic process perfectly describes my sentiment about the privilege of walking with clients in their journey of change. "Sometimes I feel like a guide escorting patients through the rooms of their own house. What a treat it is to watch them open doors to rooms never before entered, discover new wings of their house containing parts in exile- wise, beautiful, and creative pieces of identity."
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
This book took me a while to read because it's 85 different snippets of advice. I would read a chapter or two a day and then sit it down. The flow was alright, as Yalom grouped these by similar topics. A lot of these tidbits were very common sense. I wonder if it might have done better had it been written in an actual letter format.
Taka
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, psychology
I'm not a therapist but this book was full of so much wisdom about communicating with others that a lot the material is applicable to both my personal life and in my work as a teacher. There are so many useful tips here, and so this book merits rereads—and I will make sure to dip back in to fish out some morsel of wisdom from time to time.
J
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im Panama-Hut erzählt Yalom in kurzen Kapiteln etwas darüber, was für ihn einen guten Therapeuten ausmacht. Dabei versucht er klarzustellen, dass er sich zwar in seinem Werk vielfach mit existenziellen Fragen beschäftigt hat, den existenziellen Ansatz jedoch nie als eigenständige therapeutische Schule betrachtet und vielmehr die Sensibilität für alle Schulen erhöhen will.

Die Lektüre hat mir schnell gezeigt, dass ich nicht der eigentlichen Zielgruppe des Buches entspreche: angehende Therapeuten.
Shakiba
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب راجع به روند درمانی و نکاتیه که رواندرمانگرها و بیمارهاشون باید بهش توجه کنند. همونطور که از اسمشم مشخصه یه نامهی سرگشادهست! در واقع با مرور مرحلهها و نکتههای روان درمانی، مخاطب به مرور زندگی خودش هم میتونه برسه. به فرارهاش، به انکارهاش و روشهای غلطی که برای مقابله با مشکلاتش پیش گرفته.
یالوم از تجربههای درمانی خودش با آدمهای مختلف هم میگه و مثالهاش انقدر ملموسه که میشه به زندگی خودمون هم تعمیمش داد.
Mya
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-for-school
There are a lot of points in this book that really resonate with what I have felt has helped me as a patient to have a great experience in therapy. It is well written, with fantastically succinct chapters that are grouped by themes and treatment times.

That being said, I don't think I would have finished this book if not for it having been assigned to me for schoolwork. Yalom's examples are reminiscent of those you would find in a self-help workbook, and his desire to guide therapists with an od
Ömer
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitapla ilgili bir blog yazısı girmem çok büyük ihtimalle. Bağışlanan Terapi, aslında Yalom'un yeni nesil terapistler için yaptığı bir dizi önerinden ibaret. Ben de bir aday terapist/psikolojik danışman olarak keyif alarak okudum. Ama bunu hep söylerim, Varoluşçu Terapi, bana seanslarda kullanılacak bir kuramdan çok, benimsenmesi gereken bir hayat tarzı gibi geliyor :D Yine de hoşuma giden çok yer oldu, 20'den fazla post-it kullanmışım :D Herkese hitap eden bir kitap olduğunu düşünmüyorum, çü ...more
Genna
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
If Yalom's goal here was to make new therapists feel better about not being perfect, I think he more or less got it. I took away a star because he has a thing for dream interpretation and because there were a few chapters I didn't connect to. Otherwise, really helpful!
wonderNima
یالوم استاد روانشناسیست و توانمند در زمینه پیوند این تخصص با ادبیات و فلسفه و سایر حوزه های علوم انسانی. کمتر کسی در حوزه تخصصی خود از چنین توانایی ظریف و بدیعی برخوردار است. ستودنیست. ...more
Aryeh Levine
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: soooooooon
Only fair I reveal my bias here. Im already a Yalom fan, having enjoyed one of his novels deeply, and perhaps more importantly- my therapist is too. Reading this book enhanced my understanding of my therapist's expertise and approach, and is already improving the process of therapy.

I probably need to read an opposing perspective, because at this point, I can't really see how therapy could be done any other way. I don't think I could be a therapist if i couldn't foster some sort of personal rela
Aytan Gadiyeva
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Несмотря на то, что книга «Дар Психотерапии» предназначена преимущественно молодым практикантам и будущим психотерапевтам, каждый может узнать много нового и интересного для себя. Например особенно захватывающим было читать про интерпретацию снов, про соответствующие методы коммуникации с людьми имеющими определённые комплексы или слабости. В книге собрано множество цитат известных философов и мыслителей.
Psicologorroico
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meraviglioso e consigliatissimo. Yalom è una garanzia!
Brandt
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

It would be far too one-dimensional to merely assert this is a must read book. Conceivably, it is better to present a summary of why this book should hold a space in the professional and the personal library of any person working in the field of mental health counseling and therapy.

Throughout the pages, Dr. Irvin D. Yalom provides a keen insight collected from over three decades of practice. What he has given the practitioner is an assortment of topics that are sure to help invigorate a new gene

Mihail Nedkov
Dec 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
I didn't understand that asking patients to be your therapist, analyzing their dreams, trying to be their friend, insisting that the patient-therapist relationship resembles all the rest of the patient's relationships, insisting that there's always an interpersonal conflict with a subconscious nature that is at the roots of one's emotional disturbance, using your own feelings about the client as a compass, etc. could serve a therapeutic purpose.

DING! It doesn't.

Spare yourself a few bucks by not
Deb
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
*The critical "throw-ins" of therapy*

In the introduction of his _Existential Psychotherapy_ text, Yalom recounts how in a cooking class he discovered that it was the instructor's "surreptitious throw-ins (that) made all the difference." He then makes the parallel that the "critical ingredients" of effective psychotherapy are the therapist's intuitive "throw-ins" that exist outside of formal training and "are hard to describe, even harder to define."

Fortunately, in _The Gift of Therapy_, Yalom h

• On Being a Therapist
  • Letters to a Young Therapist
  • Psychoanalytic Case Formulation
  • Encyclopedia of Counseling Package: Encyclopedia of Counseling: Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling ... Preparation Comprehensive Examination
  • Interpersonal Process in Therapy: An Integrative Model
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • The Family Crucible: The Intense Experience of Family Therapy
  • Inside Therapy: Illuminating Writings About Therapists, Patients, and Psychotherapy
  • Motivational Interviewing: Preparing People for Change
  • Being a Brain-Wise Therapist: A Practical Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology
  • Between Therapist and Client: The New Relationship
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Current Psychotherapies
  • The Making of a Therapist
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Trauma and Recovery: The Aftermath of Violence - From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
Irvin David Yalom, M.D., is an author of fiction and nonfiction, Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry at Stanford University, an existentialist, and accomplished psychotherapist.
“Though the physicality of death destroys us, the idea of death may save us.” 36 likes
“love obsession often serves as a distraction, keeping the individual’s gaze from more painful thoughts.” 31 likes